AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 698 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Costco vs Others?

I am looking for the best deal on the 65" Q80T and nothing seems to be on sale yet (maybe July 4 sales) but I see Costco is selling their version of this set as the Q8DT but at the same price as others. So my question is, is this the same set as the Q80T and if so are you getting any extras with Costco than any other retailer like BB or Amazon?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am looking for the best deal on the 65" Q80T and nothing seems to be on sale yet (maybe July 4 sales) but I see Costco is selling their version of this set as the Q8DT but at the same price as others. So my question is, is this the same set as the Q80T and if so are you getting any extras with Costco than any other retailer like BB or Amazon?
Watch Amazon (Audio / Video Center vendor). I picked up a 75" Q80T for a crazy low price...seal was opened on box, that was it. Still got an invoice stating "new" with a 1 year warranty from Samsung when I registered it. When I received it, it was obvious the TV was never removed from the box and works perfect.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
This is my 2nd Q80T as the first one blew up, the motherboard got fried after a week but there was light bleed and blooming on that one as well. I think it's just the Q80T lineup that is prone to these issues.
i think you're prone to trolling.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
I guess it depends where you are shopping...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I’ve had a 85Q80T for a bit over a week now.
I’ve tried playing HDR via Amazon Prime, and YouTube. I’m not seeing any indication that the sources are actually HDR
Is there a way to tell if the source is actually HDR?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I’ve had a 85Q80T for a bit over a week now.
I’ve tried playing HDR via Amazon Prime, and YouTube. I’m not seeing any indication that the sources are actually HDR
Is there a way to tell if the source is actually HDR?

Yes, there is. I’ve actually noticed most titles in my library (synced via Movies Anywhere) now play in HDR10+ with the Amazon app.

With internal apps you can see is content is HDR or HDR10+ by clicking the home button and navigating to the quick settings. You will see an icon for the picture mode you have selected with either HDR or HDR10+ shown on the picture mode when playback of that content type is detected. Your picture settings for Contrast and Backlight will also be maxed out as you’ll be in the HDR version of the picture mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: venus933

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes, there is. I’ve actually noticed most titles in my library (synced via Movies Anywhere) now play in HDR10+ with the Amazon app.

With internal apps you can see is content is HDR or HDR10+ by clicking the home button and navigating to the quick settings. You will see an icon for the picture mode you have selected with either HDR or HDR10+ shown on the picture mode when playback of that content type is detected. Your picture settings for Contrast and Backlight will also be maxed out as you’ll be in the HDR version of the picture mode.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that some Amazon Prime identified as HDR don’t come through as HDR.
The Avengers is an example. App shows HDR, but it’s not.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Interesting that some Amazon Prime identified as HDR don’t come through as HDR.
The Avengers is an example. App shows HDR, but it’s not.

What region are you in? For me, Avengers Endgame shows as 4K UHD and output in HDR10+ in the Amazon app this morning.

·
Registered
919 Posts
What region are you in? For me, Avengers Endgame shows as 4K UHD and output in HDR10+ in the Amazon app this morning.

I’m in the Houston TX area. I’m seeing the same issue on several of the Amazon titles, and also several of the YouTube titles.
My title was just Avengers, not endgame.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I’m in the Houston TX area. I’m seeing the same issue on several of the Amazon titles, and also several of the YouTube titles.
My title was just Avengers, not endgame.

I didn’t check that title out. I’m in Chicago and any title that I own the UHD copy for shows 4K UHD in the title name. When I click play, settings are maxed out and picture mode says HDR10+. I don’t have a Q80T but I took screenshots on my Q60R...it’s possible they are rolling an updated version out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi All

I just bought a 75 inch q8dt from costco and im really liking it but HDMI eARC Mode seems to be not working quite right or im messing something up haha.

HDMI eARC Mode set to auto only works with the YouTube (TV app). If I set it to auto for anything else (other tv apps or xbox one) I get very quiet and muffled sounding dialog but can hear sound effects. I have to turn HDMI eARC Mode to off (which means using just HDMI ARC) for everything other than YouTube (tv app).

I thought it might be a cable issue so bought and installed new monoprice ultra 8k high speed hdmi cables but no change.

I have my xbox going into hdmi 4. hdmi 3 runs to my denon x4400 monitor 1 ARC port (which is eARC compatible from the firmware update a while ago).

I do have Anynet+ (hdmi-cec) selected to on as well as the input signal plus selected to on for hdmi 3 and 4.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
The price of Q80T 65" is less by $200 starting today. Not sure how long, Costco is showing until 7/5/2020 for the Q8DT. It could go back, but my guess is that this will be the msrp in the near future.

I do not know if Q8DT and Q80T are exactly the same. Both have different manuals that you can compare specs. Costco is adding $100 SquareTrade Protection Plan Bundle.... that will increase your warranty to 5 years I think. I have not read the specific as I am not yet sure if I will get this model compared to another brand, but if you use your Costco Visa the warranty is even longer (just reading this off Costco website that you can check yourself). These warranties could be very expensive like BB if you decide to get one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi All

I just bought a 75 inch q8dt from costco and im really liking it but HDMI eARC Mode seems to be not working quite right or im messing something up haha.

HDMI eARC Mode set to auto only works with the YouTube (TV app). If I set it to auto for anything else (other tv apps or xbox one) I get very quiet and muffled sounding dialog but can hear sound effects. I have to turn HDMI eARC Mode to off (which means using just HDMI ARC) for everything other than YouTube (tv app).

I thought it might be a cable issue so bought and installed new monoprice ultra 8k high speed hdmi cables but no change.

I have my xbox going into hdmi 4. hdmi 3 runs to my denon x4400 monitor 1 ARC port (which is eARC compatible from the firmware update a while ago).

I do have Anynet+ (hdmi-cec) selected to on as well as the input signal plus selected to on for hdmi 3 and 4.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Try turning off input signal plus, and see what happens. That probably should be off on your audio device.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried with input signal plus on and off and it doesn't seem to make a difference. While messing around with setting, i found that when I turn HDMI eARC Mode to auto my denon x4400 is receiving dd+/atmos input but is outputing broken stereo. Im seeing this through the denon avr app.

I found some posts of LG b9/c9 owners having a similar issue with their x4400's.

I need to look more into it but I think this may be a denon issue.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The price of Q80T 65" is less by $200 starting today. Not sure how long, Costco is showing until 7/5/2020 for the Q8DT. It could go back, but my guess is that this will be the msrp in the near future.

I do not know if Q8DT and Q80T are exactly the same. Both have different manuals that you can compare specs. Costco is adding $100 SquareTrade Protection Plan Bundle.... that will increase your warranty to 5 years I think. I have not read the specific as I am not yet sure if I will get this model compared to another brand, but if you use your Costco Visa the warranty is even longer (just reading this off Costco website that you can check yourself). These warranties could be very expensive like BB if you decide to get one.

Good luck!
Thanks for the sale update. I was about to pull the trigger on the Q80T until I watched the many negative You Tube reviews (rating, Quantum Nation, Quantum TV). I do have to agree that IMO Samsung really screwed over their customers in 2020. I wanted the 2019 Q80R but decided to wait for perhaps some additional features and instead all models took a step back in an attempt to push people to their 8k models which ain't happening. I know this topic has been discussed many times on this forum but of particular concern are the test results and discussion of the contrast, local dimming and especially the SDR brightness being less than last year's model and in the case of brightness even lower than the Q70. I did see the 80T in BB next to the 90T and my initial impression was a disappointment. The 90T was what I remember as being last year's 80R in PQ. Now I am totally confused which way to go. :confused::mad:

421 - 440 of 698 Posts