AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 869 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
On the right and left side there’s almost like a bar going down and one going about 3-4 inches in to the tv on the top and bottom in the black area. The bars are lighter and aren’t actually black. Does anyone know what this is? I’ve googled it and haven’t found anything about it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Video on YouTube was 4K HDR.

Attachments

·
Vendor
27,056 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Q80T vs last year's Q90R. I was pretty set on Q90R but Q80T sounds like a somewhat comparable set and I would get eARc functionality which doesn't exist right now on Q90R. Just looking for thoughts.
The rumor mill was once saying the 90T replaces the 80R, further saying the 90T was not as good as the 90R, but things have seemed to have shifted where the 90T is about equal to the 90R, which I believed in the first place. In the end you may sacrifice picture quality going with the 80T, of course do what you think is best, its your cash $$$

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #663
On the right and left side there’s almost like a bar going down and one going about 3-4 inches in to the tv on the top and bottom in the black area.
i don't see anything, can you point it out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
On the right and left side there’s almost like a bar going down and one going about 3-4 inches in to the tv on the top and bottom in the black area. The bars are lighter and aren’t actually black. Does anyone know what this is? I’ve googled it and haven’t found anything about it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Video on YouTube was 4K HDR.
What's the name of the YouTube video?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
To both Mdrt7 and denpom it’s usually HDR videos or anything with dark blacks and I can see like 1 spot in each corner that’s lighter than the pure black. Sometimes happens on the side too. Picture attached with what I’m trying to talk about. It’s definitely hard to see/can’t see it in a picture. But I can 100% see it in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
So do others see this too with SDR content and local dimming set to high? It seems to introduce extra bands into the picture and then sections of the screen dim and brighten back with any kind of movement. Baseball has been the worst culprit so far. Or is it just me? Or is this the posterization people are referring to.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
^I see the same thing with LD on high on both my q80t and q90t, in fact its worse on my q90t. Its not just your tv, this is second time ive mentioned this. Its more of a bug associated with LD imo.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
posterization is one thing but he's describing some kind of strobing motion artifacts that i can't associate with LD. can you post a better description or a pic?
I dont see strobing, but on occasion I do see the posterization he is talking about. I dont have any photos to provide, but it does happen like I said on both my Samsungs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What does the posterization look like exactly? Maybe that's what I'm seeing?

A good example is with local dimming on high, I can bring up the menu and if I toggle from picture to audio in the area that would have movie mode, picture size and full settings, you can see a dark band going across it when scrolling up and down from picture to audio.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
^I tried to take a photo, but my camera couldnt pick it up the way I wanted it to but I will post it. Best way I can describe it, is like color banding around very bright objects.

On the below photo, while it sucks, if you look at the sun, youll see what im talking about, if I change to LD standard, that posterization goes away. The source is Roku Ultra.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #675
^I tried to take a photo, but my camera couldnt pick it up the way I wanted it to but I will post it. Best way I can describe it, is like color banding around very bright objects.
yeah that's "posterization" we're talking about. do you still see it if you bring Brightness below 29 and/with native apps too?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #677
A good example is with local dimming on high, I can bring up the menu and if I toggle from picture to audio in the area that would have movie mode, picture size and full settings, you can see a dark band going across it when scrolling up and down from picture to audio.
any kind of lines or dimming/brightening of the portions of the screen is not "posterization" nor should be something that's being caused by LD.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
yeah that's "posterization" we're talking about. do you still see it if you bring Brightness below 29 and/with native apps too?
Unfortunately I do. The weird thing is if I turn tv on with LD on high it will show it, as soon as I switch it to standard and back to high its gone, and stays gone until next time I use tv. I haven't checked with internal apps but will do once the other half is done watching her shows.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't bother me at all. The pq is still very good with LD on standard, at least on mine. Plus gaming is phenomenal on the 85!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #679
Unfortunately I do. The weird thing is if I turn tv on with LD on high it will show it, as soon as I switch it to standard and back to high its gone, and stays gone until next time I use tv.
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't bother me at all. The pq is still very good with LD on standard, at least on mine. Plus gaming is phenomenal on the 85!
that's really weird. is it happening in Movie/Filmmaker modes? because on mine, that "effect" happens while switching to Standard mode but it goes away by itself after about 2 seconds. it doesn't happen in those two modes at all though.

·
Premium Member
6,157 Posts
^yeah it happens in both those modes. At first I thought it was the q80t, but I was able to replicate it on the q90t.

661 - 680 of 869 Posts