AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1829 Posts

·
Vendor
28,663 Posts
I’m in the same boat as you. I’m cautiously optimistic. It took a whole new/different HDMI cable for him to do it. BUT, it is reassuring to know that in its current state the tv is capable of out putting to those settings and works.
The good news is, at least some of the new 8K cables and under $15, so its not expensive to give it a try......

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well there is hope for my new Q80T that the set will look great then. I did the update on my current one hoping it may help with the blacks, but besides noticing a slight increase in brightness, there is no difference to the black level performance or local dimming on my current Q80T. Flashing still exists using movie mode. Get the replacement one tomorrow so hopefully that one is great.
How is the new Q80T compared to what you’ve had before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Honestly the new one is only slightly better. Blacks are a little better, but still some wash out occuring with bright objects on black background. Movie mode does not work at all still, local dimming in movie is broken and doesnt work. Panel itself has way more banding. Last one was perfectly clean. Honestly I wish I could get a Q80R as a replacement from them

·
Registered
298 Posts
I assume movie mode is something that needs fixed with firmware. I honestly dont think Im the only one experiencing this weird flashing/strobbing in movie mode. How to test, set to movie mode, contrast and brightness at 50 and locsl dimming high. Search baseball highlights on youtube and tell me if you can see any weird aryifacts on camera pans that go away in any other mode. I can't have two completely different tvs with the same problem as to me it sounds more like an across the board issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I assume movie mode is something that needs fixed with firmware. I honestly dont think Im the only one experiencing this weird flashing/strobbing in movie mode. How to test, set to movie mode, contrast and brightness at 50 and locsl dimming high. Search baseball highlights on youtube and tell me if you can see any weird aryifacts on camera pans that go away in any other mode. I can't have two completely different tvs with the same problem as to me it sounds more like an across the board issue.
Hi @mark_42 I did what you asked and put in the settings you gave. I watched several sports videos, including baseball via the built in YouTube app, as well as the YouTube app on the Xbox One. I was unable to replicate the issue you are experiencing. Try uninstall/reinstall the app maybe? FYI I'm on the new 1401 firmware and have the 55" model.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Odd then how I get two tvs with the exact same thing happening and yet nobody else sees it
I don’t have these issues either and didn’t see them on the previous firmware. My guess is the problem is either picture settings or source device related. I’ve posted my settings and so has @denpom. Setting brightness at max for movie mode with SDR sports is out of the norm for that mode. My recommendation is go back and try our settings. If you see the problem using an external device maybe there is an issue with the device or the hdmi cable you are using. Odd that you see it with 2 TVs and none of us have the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone here own the 49-inch, now 50-inch, size of this TV? Do these sizes have to be viewed straight on, or is there a little wiggle room with the viewing angle (maybe up to 40-degrees) without the picture suffering dramatically? Those sizes don't have the Ultra Wide Viewing Angle feature. The 55-inch is too big for my viewing room. Actually the 49- and 50-inch will be a squeeze, but I don't know of any smaller TVs that have full array local dimming and/or a wide angle viewing feature. From what I have read, IPS panels yield grayish blacks and underwhelming HDR.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Does anyone here own the 49-inch, now 50-inch, size of this TV? Do these sizes have to be viewed straight on, or is there a little wiggle room with the viewing angle (maybe up to 40-degrees) without the picture suffering dramatically? Those sizes don't have the Ultra Wide Viewing Angle feature. The 55-inch is too big for my viewing room. Actually the 49- and 50-inch will be a squeeze, but I don't know of any smaller TVs that have full array local dimming and/or a wide angle viewing feature. From what I have read, IPS panels yield grayish blacks and underwhelming HDR.
Full array local dimming will improve contrast and black levels by changing LED light levels across different zones of the screen. It also helps with brightness for HDR. In terms of viewing angles, though, it’s not really important.

Samsung uses VA panel types in almost all of their LED TVs. VA panels have very high native contrast (3000:1 and up) but do not have as good color compared to IPS (the addition of the quantum dot layer negates this advantage). The viewing angles drops off dramatically with VA panels and everything becomes worse the more off angle you sit.

The contrast to that is IPS panels that LG uses in most of their LED TVs. They have much lower contrast (1000:1) than VA panels but good color and excellent viewing angles.

The ultra wide filter that Samsung created last year for their high-end QLED TVs basically gives you that IPS viewing angles with a VA panel (high contrast, great color b/c of quantum’s dot, and great viewing angles). The Q70T (and likely the 49/50” Q80T) has what Samsung calls wide viewing angle technology. It’s not as good as the ultra wide filter that the 55” Q80T has but it will still be better than a VA panel without any type of filter. With that said, I think 40 degrees off angle is where the ultra wide angle filter begins to drop off. So yes, I think you would see PQ drop off w/out the filter. Another thing to consider is OLEDs have excellent off angle viewing, good color and infinite contrast. LG has a CX in the size your are looking for and I would definitely consider that option if you check out a 49” Q80T (or any size Q70T) and don’t like the viewing angles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Full array local dimming will improve contrast and black levels by changing LED light levels across different zones of the screen. It also helps with brightness for HDR. In terms of viewing angles, though, it’s not really important.

Samsung uses VA panel types in almost all of their LED TVs. VA panels have very high native contrast (3000:1 and up) but do not have as good color compared to IPS (the addition of the quantum dot layer negates this advantage). The viewing angles drops off dramatically with VA panels and everything becomes worse the more off angle you sit.

The contrast to that is IPS panels that LG uses in most of their LED TVs. They have much lower contrast (1000:1) than VA panels but good color and excellent viewing angles.

The ultra wide filter that Samsung created last year for their high-end QLED TVs basically gives you that IPS viewing angles with a VA panel (high contrast, great color b/c of quantum’s dot, and great viewing angles). The Q70T (and likely the 49/50” Q80T) has what Samsung calls wide viewing angle technology. It’s not as good as the ultra wide filter that the 55” Q80T has but it will still be better than a VA panel without any type of filter. With that said, I think 40 degrees off angle is where the ultra wide angle filter begins to drop off. So yes, I think you would see PQ drop off w/out the filter. Another thing to consider is OLEDs have excellent off angle viewing, good color and infinite contrast. LG has a CX in the size your are looking for and I would definitely consider that option if you check out a 49” Q80T (or any size Q70T) and don’t like the viewing angles.

Thanks for the detailed information. I appreciate it, greatly.
When determining the viewing angle, is the measurement calculated from the center of the screen outward or from the outer edge of the screen outward?
My viewing room is 14-feet wide. The 50-inch TV is 43-inches wide and will sit centered in the room. So, my head sits about 6-feet away from the screen and about 2-feet wide of the screen's outer edge. That might not even be 40-degrees if I should calculate the angle from the TVs outer edge.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for the detailed information. I appreciate it, greatly.
When determining the viewing angle, is the measurement calculated from the center of the screen outward or from the outer edge of the screen outward?
My viewing room is 14-feet wide. The 50-inch TV is 43-inches wide and will sit centered in the room. So, my head sits about 6-feet away from the screen and about 2-feet wide of the screen's outer edge. That might not even be 40-degrees if I should calculate the angle from the TVs outer edge.
I’m not sure where it’s calculated from but the TV my Q80T replaced (which also has a VA panel but no wide viewing angle filter) was fine from any seat on the couch right in front of it, however when sitting in one of the side chairs everything was lighter. That is no longer a problem with the Q80T because of the ultra wide angle filter. I would imagine that the TV you’re looking at would be somewhere in between. Any seat on the couch directly in front of it will have excellent picture. Side chairs will still be somewhat worse though since it doesn’t have the ultra wide filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m not sure where it’s calculated from but the TV my Q80T replaced (which also has a VA panel but no wide viewing angle filter) was fine from any seat on the couch right in front of it, however when sitting in one of the side chairs everything was lighter. That is no longer a problem with the Q80T because of the ultra wide angle filter. I would imagine that the TV you’re looking at would be somewhere in between. Any seat on the couch directly in front of it will have excellent picture. Side chairs will still be somewhat worse though since it doesn’t have the ultra wide filter.

Seems correct.
Samsung claims that the 50-inch without the Ultra Wide Viewing Angle is still good up to 60-degrees, so that's confusing... lol.
By the way, does your Q80T suffer from any black crushing or loss of shadow detail? Some reviewers have complained about these effects in the Q80T because its algorithm is geared to suppress blooming.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Odd then how I get two tvs with the exact same thing happening and yet nobody else sees it
Maybe it's just the Samsung Signature look that you are sensitive too. All manufacturer's have a signature look, there is no so called standard from manufacture to manufacture. Sony, LG, Hisense, and so on all have a little different color, and clarity in those feeds and shades. Samsung a little blue, Sony a little red, LG a little green and so on.
I am one of the people who like the Samsung signature look better than the others. All the other are fine sets in their own, but it's my money and I buy what I like and you should too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Seems correct.
Samsung claims that the 50-inch without the Ultra Wide Viewing Angle is still good up to 60-degrees, so that's confusing... lol.
By the way, does your Q80T suffer from any black crushing or loss of shadow detail? Some reviewers have complained about these effects in the Q80T because its algorithm is geared to suppress blooming.
No I don’t but I also use the contrast enhancer setting (on low) which helps a lot to avoid situations like that. Professional reviewers who test many sets never use it because it will impact their calibration. They switch between multiple TV manufacturers and I don’t think they have time to see if one manufacturer actually does a good job with that type of technology. Samsung actually does a good job with this tech in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I have never owned a Display in my home that didn't suffer from black crush or loss of shadow detail at sometime or other, even the great LG OLED's, Sony Bravia XBR's, Samsung Qled's, and the great Kuro Plasma's I have owned. Sometimes it's the source and sometimes it's not.
I have some respectable Calibration equipment, Pattern generator, Meter, and software you pay for. I am just good enough with it to satisfy myself and to know that most Cowboy Calibrators I see doing Calibrations are not as good as they think (Never , Ever, hire Best buy for anything other than a delivery), and some of them are really good and very talented and I would never even be able to carry their equipment for them. I have never seen the perfect display, it just does not exist yet.
I have always said the same thing. Buy the one that looks the best to you. Don't base it on the picture shown in the store. In my opinion this will be the best you can do for yourself. Most specs on Current Displays I can't even see or measure with equipment. Someone once said if you can't measure it, it don't matter.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have never owned a Display in my home that didn't suffer from black crush or loss of shadow detail at sometime or other, even the great LG OLED's, Sony Bravia XBR's, Samsung Qled's, and the great Kuro Plasma's I have owned. Sometimes it's the source and sometimes it's not.
Yeah honestly on my older TVs I had issues with it but on my 4K TVs it’s never been much of an issue. I can always get picture settings to my liking for the content I watch. Not saying that it’s non-existent, but it hasn’t bothered me on any of the TVs I’ve owned in years. No set is perfect though, however, this set is a very impressive set.

1061 - 1080 of 1829 Posts