AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1221 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,141
Hi guys, I saw a video from Vincent Teoh of HDTV Test saying Game Mode picture quality on the Q80T was poor and that local dimming was very limited in this mode
again, he reviewed EU version of Q80T which has very little in common with US Q80T.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, guys!
I just got the Q80T 65", yesterday. Samsung has trade my Q7FN 55" that was defective for the Q80T 65".
At first, I was concerned about that trade 'cause I saw that the Q80T has less brightness than the Q7FN. I was worried about that, that I would notice the difference. Thankfully, I didn't. My room isn't too bright, and there's no windows pointing at the TV, so I guess I'm good with that.

About the viewing angle, it is not good. It's not terrible and it's better than the Q7FN, but it's still washing the colors and losing contrast. I believe this model is the same as the one sold in Europe (I'm in Brazil).

Three things are really bothering me.

One is the picture quality when watching SD or HD content, specifically Friends on Netflix. The image gets a little blurry (don't if that's the right term), and doesn't look as sharp as I thought it should be. Even if I set the sharpness at maximum, the problem remains. I don't know if that's normal for the content/source (Friends on Netflix) or if it's normal for any content with this resolution, or if the problem is my TV.

The second problem is also about one contente specifically. I have Batman vs Superman Remux UHD HDR downloaded at my external HD, which is connected to my TV to watch movies and shows.
This movie looks very grainy! The imagem just doesn't get smooth and sharp no matter what I do. At my old Q7FN, the movie didn't looked like that. It looked perfect clean and sharp.
I guess this movie has a film grain and the processor of this TV evidences to much. I'm not sure if that's the case, really. But this really bothers me.

Another weirdness i noticed was in Alita - Battle Angel. The movie is also in 4K UHD HDR and I watch through my external HD. The image is fantastic! The HDR looks really nice and the contrast is great. But I noticed that the image "blinks" in changes of frame or within a few seconds.

Does anyone know what should I do to solve this problems?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, guys!
I just got the Q80T 65", yesterday. Samsung has trade my Q7FN 55" that was defective for the Q80T 65".
At first, I was concerned about that trade 'cause I saw that the Q80T has less brightness than the Q7FN. I was worried about that, that I would notice the difference. Thankfully, I didn't. My room isn't too bright, and there's no windows pointing at the TV, so I guess I'm good with that.

About the viewing angle, it is not good. It's not terrible and it's better than the Q7FN, but it's still washing the colors and losing contrast. I believe this model is the same as the one sold in Europe (I'm in Brazil).

One is the picture quality when watching SD or HD content, specifically Friends on Netflix. The image gets a little blurry (don't if that's the right term), and doesn't look as sharp as I thought it should be. Even if I set the sharpness at maximum, the problem remains. I don't know if that's normal for the content/source (Friends on Netflix) or if it's normal for any content with this resolution, or if the problem is my TV.

The second problem is also about one contente specifically. I have Batman vs Superman Remux UHD HDR downloaded at my external HD, which is connected to my TV to watch movies and shows.
This movie looks very grainy! The imagem just doesn't get smooth and sharp no matter what I do. At my old Q7FN, the movie didn't looked like that. It looked perfect clean and sharp.
I guess this movie has a film grain and the processor of this TV evidences to much. I'm not sure if that's the case, really. But this really bothers me.

Another weirdness i noticed was in Alita - Battle Angel. The movie is also in 4K UHD HDR and I watch through my external HD. The image is fantastic! The HDR looks really nice and the contrast is great. But I noticed that the image "blinks" in changes of frame or within a few seconds.

Before addressing any of the concerns, I would make sure you update to the newest firmware which just came out in the last few weeks. You can download it directly from the Samsung support site and update via USB as it most likely won't notify you using the internal firmware update.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi, guys!

For the film grain (which you don’t like) under Picture Clarity make sure Noise Reduction is set to Auto. If you are still having issues, please post the picture settings you are using so that we can help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Shin,
I believe some of what you are seeing is coming from the upconversion process. Along with the already excellent recommendations I would suggest for you to turn sharpness to 0, that will help some with the grain (that I don't like either) the producers of movies and games sometimes go overboard with it. Also alot of the films were not shot in 4K so they upconvert them and the process it not always clean. Some are good and some are really bad. I am really careful to never take my sharpness on a Samsung above 5 most of the time it's a 0-3. Above 3-5 just introduces too many artifacts and makes the sharpness worse.
FOR ME

·
Vendor
27,563 Posts
because unfortunately, i bought the TV online and shipped it to a location outside of the USA. taking it back at such a big size and reshipping it is quite a hassle to be honest. i have to live with what i got. but i still dont see how such expensive TVs pass quality control. i understand that all LCDs suffer from DSE to some extent, but when its too much i dont see how it passes quality control and is offered in stores.
TV's are not viewed before they leave the factory.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before addressing any of the concerns, I would make sure you update to the newest firmware which just came out in the last few weeks. You can download it directly from the Samsung support site and update via USB as it most likely won't notify you using the internal firmware update.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks for tip, man! I downloaded the latest version of the software and updated. I guess this improved image and performance.

For the film grain (which you don’t like) under Picture Clarity make sure Noise Reduction is set to Auto. If you are still having issues, please post the picture settings you are using so that we can help you.

Yes, I have already done that.
The pictures settings I was using was the same as the Rtings. Now, I'm using the settings at the first post in this thread. Including color space and white balance.

I liked this settings so far, but I didn't stopped yet to really watch something, I'm just testing some configurations when I can (too busy this weekend).

Shin,
I believe some of what you are seeing is coming from the upconversion process. Along with the already excellent recommendations I would suggest for you to turn sharpness to 0, that will help some with the grain (that I don't like either) the producers of movies and games sometimes go overboard with it. Also alot of the films were not shot in 4K so they upconvert them and the process it not always clean. Some are good and some are really bad. I am really careful to never take my sharpness on a Samsung above 5 most of the time it's a 0-3. Above 3-5 just introduces too many artifacts and makes the sharpness worse.
FOR ME
I also think this is consequence of the processing, plus the native grain in that movie specifically. I'm already using sharpness at 0, sometimes I set it at 1 or 3. Overall, the problem seems to be solved. The grain is present on BvS, but I'm is really comig from the movie. Anyhow, after the update and the configurations, this situation has been improved. The grain appears more clearly in some scenes and doesn't appears in other. I'm attaching two photos where you can see that.

Now, the only thing that is still bothering me is that in Alita (4K HDR Remux) the image "blinks" sometimes. I don't if it's because of the content or the TV, but this happens only in that movie.

The rest is perfect. The contrast of this TV is better than my Q7FN and the black levels are really impressive. At night, the black bars fade into the wall, you can't see where the TV ends. I really enjoy this.

Well, thank you guys for the tips. I'm gonna try to watch some movies and shows this week and post here my impressions and other possible doubts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
There was a Calibrator out of Florida named Buzz, that taught me how to set sharpness with a test pattern and a magnifying glass. Once I was showed this I never went back to the naked eye. When setting Samsungs prior to these new QLED models it was always 0. The problem up to this point was how far below 0 was true sharpness setting. They have since then gave us a little wiggle room and it is not always zero, or makes us feel better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There was a Calibrator out of Florida named Buzz, that taught me how to set sharpness with a test pattern and a magnifying glass. Once I was showed this I never went back to the naked eye. When setting Samsungs prior to these new QLED models it was always 0. The problem up to this point was how far below 0 was true sharpness setting. They have since then gave us a little wiggle room and it is not always zero, or makes us feel better.
For regular cable at 720p or 1080i I have my sharpness set to 5. I find it does help with PQ and 4k HDR left at 0.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
For regular cable at 720p or 1080i I have my sharpness set to 5. I find it does help with PQ and 4k HDR left at 0.
I give regular cable and Antenna TV a little boost myself, I use 3.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Can anyone tell me if it's better to upscale 720p or 1080i on the Q90T? Would like some input on this. Thanks
So ideally you would pass the native resolution and let the TV do all the upscaling. DirecTV used to have an option to allow you to do this but they removed it in their newer software for the genie/genie mini clients. I prefer 1080i now because more channels use that. There are some channels that are native 720p (ABC, ESPN, FOX) however I normally leave output at 1080i since more channels are native to that resolution (HBO, Showtime, NBC, CBS, AMC and pretty much every other “cable” channel). Everything looks good this way including sports on DirecTV.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great thanks for the info. I also saw there is an option called film mode and it's set to either auto or off. I'm guessing this is basically turning the interlaced picture into progressive? I'm not to sure could be wrong.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You shouldn't set sharpness when viewed up-close with a magnifying glass. Sharpness should be set from your viewing position with a test pattern. And yes, "0" doesn't always mean no sharpness applied. Some of my TV's I had to set in the negative range.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Great thanks for the info. I also saw there is an option called film mode and it's set to either auto or off. I'm guessing this is basically turning the interlaced picture into progressive? I'm not to sure could be wrong.
Hopefully this helps.

It is for controlling how the TV de-interlaces film content that was originally 24p vs video content (ie news/sports). I think Auto2 used to be the default for 1080i content with older Samsung TVs I’ve used. On the Q80T I think it is defaulted to Off.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
You shouldn't set sharpness when viewed up-close with a magnifying glass. Sharpness should be set from your viewing position with a test pattern. And yes, "0" doesn't always mean no sharpness applied. Some of my TV's I had to set in the negative range.
To each his own, I like the results I get this way because I know just about what I should see to get it the way I like it. If you hang around here long enough, you will see I do things the way i like them and most of them are not the correct way.
Nothing wrong with doing it the correct way, I just don't care for a 6500K Calibrated picture. I tried it for over 15 years, I actually talked to Joe Kane on the phone when he was first getting started about Sony XBR Rear projections. His first suggestion then was to turn all sharpness to OFF or Zero Setting. I like a little sharpness on some things even though it's not correct.
Myron I do like Calibrators who calibrate to a standard, the problem is that most of them can't. Usually caused by ability or I should say lack of experience. Some of it is caused by lack of equipment.
All the Best.
Glenee

·
Registered
112 Posts
(Posted on the Sony x900H and the LG Nano 90 pages also for people to get an idea and judge for themselves).
I just got back from Costco where they happened to have their versions of the exact three 65 inch TVs I'm looking at all in a row next to each other on the shelf - the XBRX900H, the LG Nano 90, and the Samsung Q80T. This will be my first 4K set (!).

Bearing in mind that I had to view the pictures as set without any control over settings, with no sound, and with different pictures playing on each set, my initial views on the 3 were as follows:

Sony XBR900H - This was the cheapest set. The colors seemed muted compared to the other two (but then again Sony had a a crappy vid playing that did nothing to show contrasts in light/dark scenes or any vivid scenes and colors. The brightness wasn't great and overall the picture just seemed dull (again maybe due to settings (and/or vid playing) The picture was smooth with no judder. The off-center angles were OK (better than the LG but not as good as the Sammy). Screen reflections were noticeable (just as bad as on the Samsung and much worse than on the LG). The bezel and frame looked the most stylish. Thickness was on a par with the others (all FALD sets). Feet were very thin (like blades) but were far apart and the set didn't wobble when I moved it.

LG Nano 90 - The next cheapest set. The colors were vivid, bold, and bright. Blacks looked deep black (as far as one can tell in a brightly lit store) the set looked just amazing on-center (and I was about to pull the trigger it was that good) until I saw the off-axis picture. It starts to lose all definition, color, and brightness at, I reckon, about 15 degrees off-center and get worse so that at around 30 deg, it was dull with a huge loss of definition. I was honestly shocked by just how poor the picture became when moving off-center. I couldn't live with that at all (since my TV's in a corner). I didn't notice any judder. Screen reflections were muted (best of all 3) which is important to me as I have lots of windows in the room. The bezel was nothing to write home about and the stand was a bit wobbly (rocking the TV back and forth after I moved it).

Samsung Q80T - the most expensive set (and just not worth it at that price). Last year the Q70 was their base FALD set. But Samsung did away with FALD on the 7 series and made the 8 series their base FALD set (which throws all comparisons out as a result and makes the set uncompetitive with other offerings) The picture was, however, the best of the 3 sets. Deep blacks, great colors, excellent contrast, and bright when it needed to be. Very smooth motion with absolutely no judder. Off-axis viewing was also the best of the 3. Screen reflections were on a par with the Sony. The bezel was plain - again nothing to get excited about. The feet/stand was secure and didn't wobble.

Overall, the Samsung was, visually, the best of the bunch. However at that price it's a non-starter for me as it's just too expensive for what it is. The LG's off axis picture also knocks that off the list. So that leaves the Sony as the only possibility for me at this stage. I wasn't blown away by the picture quality and I couldn't asses the contract and black levels so I may have to buy it and test it at home. If it doesn't work, I can always return it to Costco. In which case, I'll wait until next year's offerings to see if any of the manufacturers make significant improvements (maybe LG will move to VA panels) .

·
Registered
117 Posts
(Posted on the Sony x900H and the LG Nano 90 pages also for people to get an idea and judge for themselves). I just got back from Costco where they happened to have their versions of the exact three 65 inch TVs I'm looking at all in a row next to each other on the shelf - the XBRX900H, the LG Nano 90, and the Samsung Q80T. This will be my first 4K set (!).

Bearing in mind that I had to view the pictures as set without any control over settings, with no sound, and with different pictures playing on each set, my initial views on the 3 were as follows:

Sony XBR900H - This was the cheapest set. The colors seemed muted compared to the other two (but then again Sony had a a crappy vid playing that did nothing to show contrasts in light/dark scenes or any vivid scenes and colors. The brightness wasn't great and overall the picture just seemed dull (again maybe due to settings (and/or vid playing) The off-center angles were OK (better than the LG but not as good as the Sammy). Screen reflections were noticeable (just as bad as on the Samsung and much worse than on the LG). The bezel and frame looked the most stylish. Thickness was on a par with the others (all FALD sets). Feet were very thin (like blades) but were far apart and the set didn't wobble when I moved it.

LG Nano 90 - The next cheapest set. The colors were vivid, bold, and bright. Blacks looked deep black (as far as one can tell in a brightly lit store) the set looked just amazing on-center (and I was about to pull the trigger it was that good) until I saw the off-axis picture. It starts to lose all definition, color, and brightness at, I reckon, about 15 degrees off-center and get worse so that at around 30 deg, it was dull with a huge loss of definition. I was honestly shocked by just how poor the picture became when moving off-center. I couldn't live with that at all (since my TV's in a corner). Screen reflections were muted (best of all 3) which is important to me as I have lots of windows in the room. The bezel was nothing to write home about and the stand was a bit wobbly (rocking the TV back and forth after I moved it).

Samsung Q80T - the most expensive set (and just not worth it at that price). Last year the Q70 was their base FALD set. But Samsung did away with FALD on the 7 series and made the 8 series their base FALD set (which throws all comparisons out as a result and makes the set uncompetitive with other offerings) The picture was, however, the best of the 3 sets. Deep blacks, great colors, excellent contrast, and bright when it needed to be. Off-axis viewing was also the best of the 3. Screen reflections were on a par with the Sony. The bezel was plain - again nothing to get excited about. The feet/stand was secure and didn't wobble.

Overall, the Samsung was, visually, the best of the bunch. However at that price it's a non-starter for me as it's just too expensive for what it is. The LG's off axis picture also knocks that off the list. So that leaves the Sony as the only possibility for me at this stage. I wasn't blown away by the picture quality and I couldn't asses the contract and black levels so I may have to buy it and test it at home. If it doesn't work, I can always return it to Costco. In which case, I'll wait until next year's offerings to see if any of the manufacturers make significant improvements (maybe LG will move to VA panels) .
Thanks, that's been my take for awhile. Want the q80t as well, but agree its just to expensive. Saw somewhere that Samsung is killing it in sales and marketshare, so they probably aren't going to lower the price much if they don't have to

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Is it true that the Q80T has better gray uniformity and less DSE than the Q90T? Is it also true, as some reviewers have stated, that the Q80T has (inexplicably) better sound than the Q90T?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey!

So, I was running some image tests from YouTube last night, and I saw some things that I don't know if its normal or if I try to return the TV and get another one (that one was gave to me in exchange of my old that was in warranty).

The DSE test looked pretty good, actually, except for the vertical lines (image attached).
The blooming test was also good, but I saw some stains on the screen. It's not something that you see easily, and if you're in angle you can see it better. Even my wife that understands almost nothing about TVs was able to see this stains. It's not too clear, but it's there.

I took some pictures that obviously exaggerated the effects because of the exposure of the camera - one was shot in night mode. You can see in the images the stains green and red all over the screen.

This stains also showed up in a scene from Supernatural, at the episode The Big Empty (Season 13), when Castiel is trapped in the empty. He is the only thing lightning the scene in a full black background. At the first day I got the TV, i put this scene to test the local dimming, I also saw this stains, but the TV wasn't calibrated yet, so I didn't care. After the calibration, I didn't try it again. Gonna do it.

What do you guys think about that?
Should I ask Samsung to trade this unit for another one? Or this is something normal in LCD panels?

Attachments

1141 - 1160 of 1221 Posts