AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1220 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
again, he reviewed EU version of Q80T which has very little in common with US Q80T.
You really need to stop propping this tv up, this thing is an absolutely terrible tv. I jus had Samsung replace my entire 75" tv, all the components, because it has dim edges, dim corners, blotches all over the screen. Worst of all with this tv is its absolutely horrific local dimming performance. The thing lights up the entire horizontal plane when anything is in it. It also leaves the zones on after something has past through it "ghosting". Makes this tv a nightmare when watching in dark rooms, especially when you have subtitles on. My cheap 2018 TCL 6 series handles local dimming infinitely better.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
You really need to stop propping this tv up, this thing is an absolutely terrible tv. I jus had Samsung replace my entire 75" tv, all the components, because it has dim edges, dim corners, blotches all over the screen. Worst of all with this tv is its absolutely horrific local dimming performance. The thing lights up the entire horizontal plane when anything is in it. It also leaves the zones on after something has past through it "ghosting". Makes this tv a nightmare when watching in dark rooms, especially when you have subtitles on. My cheap 2018 TCL 6 series handles local dimming infinitely better.
While I absolutely never agree with the poster you just quoted...the q80t is an outstanding set for its price. This happens in every thread, someone has issues and then blanket statements are made. Its unfortunate what happened to your set, but most here are enjoying the q80t.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
^their was a hint of sarcasm in that! Its all 👍

Our debates are lively, but we all learn something new...nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with you both. I certainly had my share of issues on the first set that arrived. So what? I got it exchanged and am thoroughly happy with the product. It's certainly not a horrible TV by any stretch of the imagination. I've had numerous people take one look at the set and just be amazed at how great the PQ is.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you enjoy the play ?

·
Vendor
27,562 Posts
While I absolutely never agree with the poster you just quoted...the q80t is an outstanding set for its price. This happens in every thread, someone has issues and then blanket statements are made. Its unfortunate what happened to your set, but most here are enjoying the q80t.
It will never stop either....... :( Most posts are complaints, keep an eye on who returned there set forever, as many have found the sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
It's no secret that I own 4 of them. I have had all the major players in my House. What I mean by that is if it was a top rated display I most likely owned it in my home. I will say that I am enjoying these displays as much or more than any I have owned before. I am coming from a owner standpoint. I have never had a display where the skin tones look this good right out of the box, I have decided I am not adjusting anything that can't be done from the primary menu. This TV's picture is the same on all 4 that I own. I spent about a week trying different settings and adjusting by my EYE for what I like. I put those settings( which wasn't a lot of change from the box) on all 4 and they all look good for ME. One of these days I will drag meters, pattern generator, and laptop and my chromapure software and takes some readings. Not so I can adjust to a standard, but so I can tell for future reference what I like. As some one has already said, it what you like that counts and I like This. Now remeber this is coming from a owner who prefers the Samsung Signature Picture over the other's. They are all nice displays and I would be please with any of the other manufactures in my home. I just like the Samsung Picture.Yea they do some things at a lower level than other manufactures, but damn they do so many things better than them.

P.S. What they replaced= 2-55 Sony Xbr 900F's, 1- LG OLED C-8, and 1- 75" Samsung KS9000.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I had my panel replaced due to the noise issue. After having the tv for awhile I went up to clean it and at the very bottom, literal last line of pixels, there maybe a 2-3 wide row that’s dimmer than the rest. It’s basically only noticeable if you’re 10-15 inches away from the tv or if you’re 1-2 feet away and know exactly where you’re looking. Other than that the tv has been awesome.

My question is. I do have a warranty on it, but it has to be done by a local tech who calls in to Samsung. Would they even entertain the possibility of a new panel or is it something I’ll just have to live with? Honestly, it’s not even remotely noticeable sitting 6-7 feet away. My wife was inches from the tv and didn’t notice it until I showed her. It’s just one of those things where I know it’s there. Should I see what I can do or just roll with it? Other than that the TVs banding is non existent and it seems like I got a pretty damn good panel.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I would just keep it if it didn't bother me or was not in the field of normal viewing. I have had many of tv that has had a dead pixel or 3 in corners, upper, and lower& Upper half ot the tv. I didn't want to take the chance of getting something worse and the manufacturer cutting me off on exchanges. You might get a TV with 4-5 dead pixels right in the center of the tv and they tell you they have replaced for the last time, Call us if you get up to 15 dead pixels on the same panel.
Yours sounds like a great panel otherwise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would just keep it if it didn't bother me or was not in the field of normal viewing. I have had many of tv that has had a dead pixel or 3 in corners, upper, and lower& Upper half ot the tv. I didn't want to take the chance of getting something worse and the manufacturer cutting me off on exchanges. You might get a TV with 4-5 dead pixels right in the center of the tv and they tell you they have replaced for the last time, Call us if you get up to 15 dead pixels on the same panel.
Yours sounds like a great panel otherwise.
@Glenee makes a good point. My first Q80 had around 8-10 dead pixels, but a few were groupings of more than 1 AND close to the center. I immediately exchanged and am thrilled by the new panel. Mind you, on a test pattern I did find 3-4 dead pixels but nowhere near the center, not grouped together, and most importantly not recognizable with 99% of normal content, so I chose to keep it instead of constantly risking worse panel exchanges under the illusion that eventually I would get "the perfect panel."

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Glenee
·
Since You own four of them, can you give an opinion about how they compare to the Q90T?
I don't own a Q90T, so I really can't give you a solid comparison. I am one of those who think that you can't do a good comparison looking at them in the store. If you do try to do a comparison in the store take some of your own DVD's and maybe a small antenna tuner to do a one on one look. I have found that there are a lot of Displays that do a good job with excellent 4k source. You need to take a look at how it does on Antenna, Cable, or DVD's, since this is what you will be watching the most. The older DVD's are just to see how good the upconversion is, it really shows.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Thanks for that. The reviews which compare the two models seem to suggest that the black levels in contrast (and brightness for HDR) are better on the Q90T. Based on the same reviews the Q80T might have the edge on black uniformity and DSE, and for some inexplicable reason has better sound even though it has fewer speakers.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks for that. The reviews which compare the two models seem to suggest that the black levels in contrast (and brightness for HDR) are better on the Q90T. Based on the same reviews the Q80T might have the edge on black uniformity and DSE, and for some inexplicable reason has better sound even though it has fewer speakers.
Your questions bring up an interesting situation that I was in this week. Basically I received my Q80T as a replacement under warranty from Best Buy for my KS8000 that had panel issues. This week was the end of my exchange window and the price of the Q90T dropped so much on the 55” that it would be close to an even exchange (only difference being that I had already applied a price drop from the initial price of the exchange when I added on a new extended warranty after the Q80T was installed).

My TV is wall mounted and my Q80T panel is a really clean panel (no DSE etc). To me it wasn’t worth the hassle to ask about upgrading to the Q90T (despite it being the same price) and possibly getting a panel with DSE that is in some way worse than the Q80T panel I have now. Everyone in my family loves this TV so although the Q90T is better on paper, the question is whether it is worth it to you at the price difference and gain in image quality. I had seen the TVs in store a month or so ago and to me it wasn’t worth the hassle now. The main difference is more dimming zones which will make for brighter HDR and less blooming. The Q80T is plenty bright for HDR and looks great so not sure how much of a difference there really is. Other than that features are pretty much identical. In terms of sound, my sister in-law is using her Q80T without a sound bar and it is fine. If you want better sound, a sound bar would make more of a difference than going up a model. Both models support the Q Symphony feature if you decide to add a sound bar later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: denpom

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your questions bring up an interesting situation that I was in this week. Basically I received my Q80T as a replacement under warranty from Best Buy for my KS8000 that had panel issues. This week was the end of my exchange window and the price of the Q90T dropped so much on the 55” that it would be close to an even exchange (only difference being that I had already applied a price drop from the initial price of the exchange when I added on a new extended warranty after the Q80T was installed).

My TV is wall mounted and my Q80T panel is a really clean panel (no DSE etc). To me it wasn’t worth the hassle to ask about upgrading to the Q90T (despite it being the same price) and possibly getting a panel with DSE that is in some way worse than the Q80T panel I have now. Everyone in my family loves this TV so although the Q90T is better on paper, the question is whether it is worth it to you at the price difference and gain in image quality. I had seen the TVs in store a month or so ago and to me it wasn’t worth the hassle now. The main difference is more dimming zones which will make for brighter HDR and less blooming. The Q80T is plenty bright for HDR and looks great so not sure how much of a difference there really is. Other than that features are pretty much identical. In terms of sound, my sister in-law is using her Q80T without a sound bar and it is fine. If you want better sound, a sound bar would make more of a difference than going up a model. Both models support the Q Symphony feature if you decide to add a sound bar later.

I guess because I've never used anything but a TVs speakers I was blown away with the sound quality on this set. Multiple speakers, object sound tracking, and louder than I could ever imagine using it. Plus the built in Bluetooth is great because at night when the family is asleep I use my BT headphones to listen. Plus I can hear dialogue incredibly well and playing music while doing something else has been very enjoyable. I imagine it would be hard for me to be happy with my next TV if it didn't do as good a job as this new set.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I guess because I've never used anything but a TVs speakers I was blown away with the sound quality on this set. Multiple speakers, object sound tracking, and louder than I could ever imagine using it. Plus the built in Bluetooth is great because at night when the family is asleep I use my BT headphones to listen. Plus I can hear dialogue incredibly well and playing music while doing something else has been very enjoyable. I imagine it would be hard for me to be happy with my next TV if it didn't do as good a job as this new set.

Yeah the built-in Bluetooth is awesome! I use that a lot on my bedroom TV. I’m using a receiver with this TV but my Q60R has good sound with the TV speakers and I’d imagine this one is even better. I looked up rtings sound quality in their TV review and surprisingly the Q80T is rated higher for frequency response than the Q90T.

Reactions: Charlie Bucket
1161 - 1180 of 1220 Posts