AVS Forum banner

1741 - 1760 of 1809 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
long time reader of this thread first time posting. Ok so I had my tv calibrated and have a few questions.

He set brightness-37,contrast-33, local dimming- standard,gamma bt1886- 2.

So I’ve read a lot on here that for sdr content such as cable to have brightness lower so is this true even if your tv is calibrated?

also with a calibration when setting up my hdmi 4 port setting for my Xbox series x do I carry over the exact brightness, contrast etc as my cal day or do I use Vincent setting of brightness 50 contrast 50. Also with hdmi black level my auto gives off the same look as low which is dark but normal is less crush blacks idk which to use. I was always told auto.

lastly sorry for long post for 4k hdr content on Netflix do I leave the setting as default or do I use my calibration settings?
I can say that overall this tv is bright especially when gaming at night. Idk if it’s because he didn’t calibrate it in the dark.

·
Registered
765 Posts
long time reader of this thread first time posting. Ok so I had my tv calibrated and have a few questions.

So I’ve read a lot on here that for sdr content such as cable to have brightness lower so is this true even if your tv is calibrated?

also with a calibration when setting up my hdmi 4 port setting for my Xbox series x do I carry over the exact brightness, contrast etc as my cal day or do I use Vincent setting of brightness 50 contrast 50. Also with hdmi black level my auto gives off the same look as low which is dark but normal is less crush blacks idk which to use. I was always told auto.

lastly sorry for long post for 4k hdr content on Netflix do I leave the setting as default or do I use my calibration settings?
I can say that overall this tv is bright especially when gaming at night. Idk if it’s because he didn’t calibrate it in the dark.
The calibration you received was for SDR content so the settings / calibration will not translate properly for HDR material. You do not want to use the same settings. That said you will want Brightness and Contrast maxed out (set to 50) for HDR material which is the default. Picture mode settings when you receive HDR content are stored separately from the SDR settings so you won’t be impacting your calibration if you change any of the settings when watching 4K HDR material. Color space of Auto is more accurate but if you like picture pop I think Native color space has more pop with HDR material and really looks nice with the QLED models. I think local dimming High and contrast enhancer Low looks really good with HDR material, however, tweak those settings if you need more brightness (LD Standard / CE High are both typically brighter). For HDMI black level, use Auto if your system is set to Auto (which is what is recommended). The setting has to do with what RGB is set to on your incoming signal so unless you know what RGB for the incoming signal is set to and the Samsung value that matches it (Normal vs Low), you might get it wrong (just use Auto). I always confuse what value is right but you can see washed out colors when it is set incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
The calibration you received was for SDR content so the settings / calibration will not translate properly for HDR material. You do not want to use the same settings. That said you will want Brightness and Contrast maxed out (set to 50) for HDR material which is the default. Picture mode settings when you receive HDR content are stored separately from the SDR settings so you won’t be impacting your calibration if you change any of the settings when watching 4K HDR material. Color space of Auto is more accurate but if you like picture pop I think Native color space has more pop with HDR material and really looks nice with the QLED models. I think local dimming High and contrast enhancer Low looks really good with HDR material, however, tweak those settings if you need more brightness (LD Standard / CE High are both typically brighter). For HDMI black level, use Auto if your system is set to Auto (which is what is recommended). The setting has to do with what RGB is set to on your incoming signal so unless you know what RGB for the incoming signal is set to and the Samsung value that matches it (Normal vs Low), you might get it wrong (just use Auto). I always confuse what value is right but you can see washed out colors when it is set incorrectly.

Thank you for the info. Also does that have to do with 2 point white balance it’s no need to put those setting on every hdmi setting

and is it possible to get tv calibrated for HDR?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thank you for the info. Also does that have to do with 2 point white balance it’s no need to put those setting on every hdmi setting
You could try copying the white balance settings to see if it looks better. I’ve never had my tv professionally calibrated. I just know that you need to do separate calibrations for HDR. Also HDR uses a completely different gamma (ST.2084) / color gamut (Rec. 2020) from SDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could try copying the white balance settings to see if it looks better. I’ve never had my tv professionally calibrated. I just know that you need to do separate calibrations for HDR. Also HDR uses a completely different gamma (ST.2084) / color gamut (Rec. 2020) from SDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok guess I’ll be making a call in the AM I was told that my calibration setting were “for all sources”

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ok guess I’ll be making a call in the AM I was told that my calibration setting were “for all sources”
When I calibrate, the white balance settings are quite different for HDR vs SDR. Whatever SDR calibration that was done won't help any of your HDR sources at all. I know some places don't include HDR calibration (like Best Buy) so you may be out of luck depending on who you hired. They should have been upfront about not calibrating HDR though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I calibrate, the white balance settings are quite different for HDR vs SDR. Whatever SDR calibration that was done won't help any of your HDR sources at all. I know some places don't include HDR calibration (like Best Buy) so you may be out of luck depending on who you hired. They should have been upfront about not calibrating HDR though.
Yep it was Best Buy.. I guess I need to find someone that will calibrate all my sources including game mode for the Xbox

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,749
that contrast and gamma are going to be way too low for a lot of content. not sure about the rest of your calibrated settings but you can always try settings from the 1st post of this thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
that contrast and gamma are going to be way too low for a lot of content. not sure about the rest of your calibrated settings but you can always try settings from the 1st post of this thread.
He showed me how to unlock my calibration to change things but I guess my main question is my white point setting and such are they for all sources like the guy said or will I have to get someone to come out and calibrate my other sources such as Netflix,Xbox etc... and also don’t know if makes a difference but I have a q800t. Posted here because this is way more active and I know there basically the same tv

·
Vendor
28,616 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,752
He showed me how to unlock my calibration to change things but I guess my main question is my white point setting and such are they for all sources like the guy said or will I have to get someone to come out and calibrate my other sources such as Netflix,Xbox etc... and also don’t know if makes a difference but I have a q800t. Posted here because this is way more active and I know there basically the same tv
yes, if you have Q800T disregard the settings in the first post.

what do you see under Expert Settings / "Apply Picture Settings"? if it says "All Sources" then all your settings should be populated across all sources.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I’ll add that when it first came out you couldn’t calibrate HDR. Now you can but I don’t think it’s necessary. You can get outstanding picture from 4K HDR sources without calibration because of the technology and the standard. It uses the wider color gamut and metadata helps with the tone mapping to really create an outstanding picture. I honestly think you will get a better picture with HDR taking advantage of processing features like CE (that purists recommend disabling) than you would paying for a professional calibration of HDR settings. Then again my opinion is based on trusting a processing algorithm that I already paid for over paying hundreds of dollars on top of the cost of my TV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes, if you have Q800T disregard the settings in the first post.

what do you see under Expert Settings / "Apply Picture Settings"? if it says "All Sources" then all your settings should be populated across all sources.
It’s set to all sources but when going from hdmi 1 to let say Xbox the Xbox source has default settings

·
Registered
765 Posts
It’s set to all sources but when going from hdmi 1 to let say Xbox the Xbox source has default settings
If the Xbox is outputting HDR, then it wouldn’t have the same settings as an SDR source connected to the same hdmi input. PS5 always outputs HDR. I’m not sure about Xbox since I don’t have one and don’t know which model Xbox you are using. You can see if a source is HDR by going to quick settings on the TV (hover over the settings icon on the home bar ribbon). The name of the picture mode you have selected will say HDR in the corner. Also if you select the hdmi input your are on again that will trigger the information bar at the top to give you source information like resolution and if you are receiving HDR signal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the Xbox is outputting HDR, then it wouldn’t have the same settings as an SDR source connected to the same hdmi input. PS5 always outputs HDR. I’m not sure about Xbox since I don’t have one and don’t know which model Xbox you are using. You can see if a source is HDR by going to quick settings on the TV (hover over the settings icon on the home bar ribbon). The name of the picture mode you have selected will say HDR in the corner. Also if you select the hdmi input your are on again that will trigger the information bar at the top to give you source information like resolution and if you are receiving HDR signal.

Your right it is a hdr signal. So do I not copy my white point calibration over or just leave all default

·
Registered
765 Posts
Your right it is a hdr signal. So do I not copy my white point calibration over or just leave all default
Copy it manually and if you like how it looks leave it. Otherwise just reset white balance while receiving the HDR signal back to its default. I don’t really think it will matter but since you already have it, you can try it.

Make sure LD is set to high, set color tone how you like it (Warm1 or Warm2 look very good but I like Warm1 more for gaming). Set color space to Auto or Native (figure out which you like better, accuracy or a wider color gamut). Set local dimming to high and contrast enhancer to low. Leave ST.2084 gamma at the default. You can increase ST.2084 gamma if you want more brightness and don’t want to use contrast enhancer, however, I think CE really helps with HDR on Samsung TVs.

As @denpom mentioned, your gamma setting seemed strange for SDR. Most people are calibrating SDR for 2.2 gamma (which is an option when you receive SDR signal). That would be the equivalent of increasing the BT.1886 gamma slider yet your calibration decreased it 2 notches. Still some of this depends on room environment and we don’t have the same TV so I would just leave it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Gang,

I'm a disgruntled Sony 900H owner coming up on my return window and pissed about the lack of VRR and ALLM and what's looking like broken promises.

I'm considering a 65" Q80t instead and figured I'd ask about it. I'm a gamer for sure and heard about some issues with game mode degrading the picture on these but that this might be fixed. Are there any major issues like this or any other major issues/broken features that I should be aware of? Thanks a lot for the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Copy it manually and if you like how it looks leave it. Otherwise just reset white balance while receiving the HDR signal back to its default. I don’t really think it will matter but since you already have it, you can try it.

Make sure LD is set to high, set color tone how you like it (Warm1 or Warm2 look very good but I like Warm1 more for gaming). Set color space to Auto or Native (figure out which you like better, accuracy or a wider color gamut). Set local dimming to high and contrast enhancer to low. Leave ST.2084 gamma at the default. You can increase ST.2084 gamma if you want more brightness and don’t want to use contrast enhancer, however, I think CE really helps with HDR on Samsung TVs.

As @denpom mentioned, your gamma setting seemed strange for SDR. Most people are calibrating SDR for 2.2 gamma (which is an option when you receive SDR signal). That would be the equivalent of increasing the BT.1886 gamma slider yet your calibration decreased it 2 notches. Still some of this depends on room environment and we don’t have the same TV so I would just leave it.

Think I wrote it wrong BT.1886 gamma slider is +2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Gang,

I'm a disgruntled Sony 900H owner coming up on my return window and pissed about the lack of VRR and ALLM and what's looking like broken promises.

I'm considering a 65" Q80t instead and figured I'd ask about it. I'm a gamer for sure and heard about some issues with game mode degrading the picture on these but that this might be fixed. Are there any major issues like this or any other major issues/broken features that I should be aware of? Thanks a lot for the help!
I've had no issues with gaming except for the vertical banding and DSE that are always present regardless. Unless your set is clean and doesn't have them then you're in for a treat. Otherwise it is super distracting and you are constantly drawn to looking for it and seeing it in every game you play.

1741 - 1760 of 1809 Posts