AVS Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 1809 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey Gang,

I'm a disgruntled Sony 900H owner coming up on my return window and pissed about the lack of VRR and ALLM and what's looking like broken promises.

I'm considering a 65" Q80t instead and figured I'd ask about it. I'm a gamer for sure and heard about some issues with game mode degrading the picture on these but that this might be fixed. Are there any major issues like this or any other major issues/broken features that I should be aware of? Thanks a lot for the help!
This TV is awesome for gaming. I use game mode and have not had any of the issues described in the Q90T thread (ghosting and local dimming issues).

Picture quality is amazing with this TV using game mode and Samsung did fix some gaming issues with previous firmware revisions. I have a very clean panel (no DSE, banding, etc) and I think most Q80Ts have very good uniformity compared to some of Samsung’s other models in this years QLED lineup.

One issue that I have is eARC will not passthrough lossless PCM but I expect they will get fixed eventually. For now I’ve set my PS5 to Bitstream Dolby and have had no issues with TrueHD Atmos over eARC from the PS5. One issue that has been reported is 4K/120 not working with HDR on PS5 (works fine on the Xbox Series X) due to an HDMI 2.1 bug that only impacts Samsung.

The only game I have that supports 4K/120 is Dirt 5 and it doesn’t work right with HDR at that frame rate. I would imagine this will get fixed before I really need the feature working properly since it is working fine with the Series X and Samsung. Not sure if Samsung or Sony are to blame for it but I’m sure it will get fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
This TV is awesome for gaming. I use game mode and have not had any of the issues described in the Q90T thread (ghosting and local dimming issues).

Picture quality is amazing with this TV using game mode and Samsung did fix some gaming issues with previous firmware revisions. I have a very clean panel (no DSE, banding, etc) and I think most Q80Ts have very good uniformity compared to some of Samsung’s other models in this years QLED lineup.

One issue that I have is eARC will not passthrough lossless PCM but I expect they will get fixed eventually. For now I’ve set my PS5 to Bitstream Dolby and have had no issues with TrueHD Atmos over eARC from the PS5. One issue that has been reported is 4K/120 not working with HDR on PS5 (works fine on the Xbox Series X) due to an HDMI 2.1 bug that only impacts Samsung.

The only game I have that supports 4K/120 is Dirt 5 and it doesn’t work right with HDR at that frame rate. I would imagine this will get fixed before I really need the feature working properly since it is working fine with the Series X and Samsung. Not sure if Samsung or Sony are to blame for it but I’m sure it will get fixed.

This is very helpful, thanks. Problem is I'm rolling the dice keeping the 900h if Sony doesn't actually release the VRR/ALLM update and I'm stuck with it. Otherwise it's a very good picture.

Glad to hear game mode seems to be solid on the Q80t. I guess it's just a question if I want to pay an extra $400 for it... I msy return the 900H for the Q80t and see how it feels!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Gang,

I'm a disgruntled Sony 900H owner coming up on my return window and pissed about the lack of VRR and ALLM and what's looking like broken promises.

I'm considering a 65" Q80t instead and figured I'd ask about it. I'm a gamer for sure and heard about some issues with game mode degrading the picture on these but that this might be fixed. Are there any major issues like this or any other major issues/broken features that I should be aware of? Thanks a lot for the help!
I read a lot of discussion on Reddit trashing the picture quality in game mode that made me wonder if I'd picked the wrong TV, but I've never experienced any of the things they complain about. It looks gorgeous and I honestly can't see much of a difference between having game mode on/off in terms of the picture. I did see some ghosting on Shadow of the Colossus when I had game motion plus engaged, but since (I think) the Q80T is unique in its ability to offer motion processing in game mode at all it seems reasonable to just not use it if introduces artifacts you don't want to see.

I did watch Vincent's videos on HDTVTest where it is clear that the Sony 950H displays better blacks in game mode due to Samsung's implementation of local dimming, but I have not been disappointed by how blacks look on this set. God of War was simply stunning. Additionally, it's possible that this has been tweaked with subsequent firmware releases.

My only regret about this TV is that I do have some DSE and a couple FALD grid lines that can be noticeable when playing certain content. I was too lazy to pack it up and return to Costco and potentially get a worse panel in exchange and sometimes I kick myself for that. RDR2, Journey, and Steep all make it noticeable enough that it can be distracting, however, for most content it's not visibile. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo Sport, Uncharted 4 and THPS 1 + 2 all look amazing.

On a side note, I still think it's ridiculous that Samsung is unwilling to support passthrough DTS audio, but given how much trouble I hear ARC/eARC gives people in general (and especially on the Sonys) I don't know how much of a difference it makes. It seems if you really care about having the best audio you should be sending it to the receiver directly anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read a lot of discussion on Reddit trashing the picture quality in game mode that made me wonder if I'd picked the wrong TV, but I've never experienced any of the things they complain about. It looks gorgeous and I honestly can't see much of a difference between having game mode on/off in terms of the picture. I did see some ghosting on Shadow of the Colossus when I had game motion plus engaged, but since (I think) the Q80T is unique in its ability to offer motion processing in game mode at all it seems reasonable to just not use it if introduces artifacts you don't want to see.

I did watch Vincent's videos on HDTVTest where it is clear that the Sony 950H displays better blacks in game mode due to Samsung's implementation of local dimming, but I have not been disappointed by how blacks look on this set. God of War was simply stunning. Additionally, it's possible that this has been tweaked with subsequent firmware releases.

My only regret about this TV is that I do have some DSE and a couple FALD grid lines that can be noticeable when playing certain content. I was too lazy to pack it up and return to Costco and potentially get a worse panel in exchange and sometimes I kick myself for that. RDR2, Journey, and Steep all make it noticeable enough that it can be distracting, however, for most content it's not visibile. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo Sport, Uncharted 4 and THPS 1 + 2 all look amazing.

On a side note, I still think it's ridiculous that Samsung is unwilling to support passthrough DTS audio, but given how much trouble I hear ARC/eARC gives people in general (and especially on the Sonys) I don't know how much of a difference it makes. It seems if you really care about having the best audio you should be sending it to the receiver directly anyway.
Super helpful. Thank you for your thoughts! The 900H definitely struggles with eARC right now which is a bummer.

·
Registered
95 Posts

There r major problems in game mode but from what i v noticed these r tied to the type of console we have...For example i have a series x and through console settings i can set the Tv to 120 HZ or turn VRR on. In both occasions the picture quality is bad .Now when i set the TV to 60 HZ without VRR the PQ is like u said (very close to movie mode).But for now these options r not available on PS5 maybe thats why u havent noticed these problems .I believe HDMI 2.1 and its features are still messed up and its up to TV Brands and the 2 consoles to solve it ...Something is happening for sure. I also have DSE and some FALD LINES but its noticeable only in some games with grey images and if u observe the sky.

·
Vendor
28,616 Posts
Hey Gang,

Seems like LG OLED have the least amount of overall issues?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yeah, that's what I've gathered too but not sure it justifies an $800 price jump from the 900H along with other potential issues with OLED. Crappy time to buy a future proof TV, man.
Honestly the first time I saw the Q80T, I was extremely impressed with the black levels and the picture quality of 4K UHD content on it. Reminded me of my friends LG C8 except cheaper than OLED and no potential for burn-in. You can spend more money on a TV but at a certain point there is a diminishing return. The Q80T is a great TV for the price. If you buy an extended warranty you also pay more the higher the cost of the TV.

Reactions: Glenee

·
Registered
95 Posts
Guys could u please check something. Check local dimming between low and high in game mode and then do the same after u enable motion plus in game mode. To my set with motion plus on, the picture is dimmer and change between low and high LD change the brightness just a little .With motion plus off the difference is big and local dimming works well. Now when i set my console,(series x), to 120HZ, LD behaves like 60HZ with motion plus on so i suspect that the HDMI 2.1 120 HZ functionality is achieved through motion plus thats why this option is greyed out on 120 HZ .So its artificially enhanced .

·
Registered
765 Posts
Guys could u please check something. Check local dimming between low and high in game mode and then do the same after u enable motion plus in game mode. To my set with motion plus on, the picture is dimmer and change between low and high LD change the brightness just a little .With motion plus off the difference is big and local dimming works well. Now when i set my console,(series x), to 120HZ, LD behaves like 60HZ with motion plus on so i suspect that the HDMI 2.1 120 HZ functionality is achieved through motion plus thats why this option is greyed out on 120 HZ .So its artificially enhanced .
I did this test and like you describe when GMP is disabled there is a difference in brightness which is visible when I flip between LD High and LD Low. With GMP enabled they look very similar when I flip back and forth. I use game mode with GMP turned on and LD High, however I also set CE to low. I don’t notice issues with LD or black levels while playing games.

To answer your other question, game motion plus is disabled when playing at native 120Hz because it is not necessary. The de-blur setting is designed to smooth out 60Hz content and the de-judder is to smooth out 30Hz content. The is achieved because the panel has a higher refresh rate than the incoming signal. There are ways to artificially increase the motion smoothing further (like how some 60Hz panels claim to have artificially higher refresh rates), but I don’t think that is what’s going on here. I think GMP is just disabled because no one wants to add input lag on a 120Hz signal that is already smooth.

Reactions: jimtriol and Glenee

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did this test and like you describe when GMP is disabled there is a difference in brightness which is visible when I flip between LD High and LD Low. With GMP enabled they look very similar when I flip back and forth. I use game mode with GMP turned on and LD High, however I also set CE to low. I don’t notice issues with LD or black levels while playing games.

To answer your other question, game motion plus is disabled when playing at native 120Hz because it is not necessary. The de-blur setting is designed to smooth out 60Hz content and the de-judder is to smooth out 30Hz content. The is achieved because the panel has a higher refresh rate than the incoming signal. There are ways to artificially increase the motion smoothing further (like how some 60Hz panels claim to have artificially higher refresh rates), but I don’t think that is what’s going on here. I think GMP is just disabled because no one wants to add input lag on a 120Hz signal that is already smooth.

I understand what u r saying but i m trying to understand why the PQ is not the same when u set the tv on 120HZ and 60HZ(Not talking about fps of the games ).Its a bug or LD behaves as it should? This test made me think that the TV uses some sort of de-judder to achieve 120HZ signal.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I understand what u r saying but i m trying to understand why the PQ is not the same when u set the tv on 120HZ and 60HZ(Not talking about fps of the games ).Its a bug or LD behaves as it should? This test made me think that the TV uses some sort of de-judder to achieve 120HZ signal.
Yeah de-judder only makes sense for film material (it can still work when receiving a 60Hz signal). No clue why LD Low vs High doesn’t make as much of a difference with GMP. I didn’t test this very thoroughly, I only flipped a couple times in one scene of a game and found LD Low was not as bright as High only with GMP disabled. I don’t think it’s because of motion settings but could be because of input lag. Maybe it’s just a bug. In game play though i haven’t noticed any problems with LD High. Likely our settings differ somewhat or firmware behaving differently across panels.

Reactions: jimtriol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I just purchased a 75" Q80T (Q8DT actually). So far, HD and 4K Netfilx seems great, regular HD channels look pretty good, lower definition 720P channels not so much. The big issue is sports.
For golf, the fairways and greens have patches that appeared smeared and unnatural looking. For football (even the 4K broadcasts), the field has the same issues. Sometimes players seem to have an aura where there is a fuzziness to their outline. Often as a player moves through the screen they loose definition briefly (even when just walking), like they go through a fuzzy patch and then emerge on the other side. Basketball seems the worst with they players having the same issue as football.

We sit about 11' away. I used the settings on the very first post in this forum and the rtings settings. I've done the diagnosis videos in the support menu and those all look great. A post earlier that described sort of similar issues said they updated to 1460.9 and the problems disappeared. I have auto update but its say the software version is 1403. When I update it says that it is up to date but there may be versions on the website (i.e., 1460.9)

I am coming from a 12 year old mid range 40" Sony and I'm leaning to preferring that picture for sports and regular HD. Perhaps I expected too much.

Thank you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi,

I just purchased a 75" Q80T (Q8DT actually). So far, HD and 4K Netfilx seems great, regular HD channels look pretty good, lower definition 720P channels not so much. The big issue is sports.
For golf, the fairways and greens have patches that appeared smeared and unnatural looking. For football (even the 4K broadcasts), the field has the same issues. Sometimes players seem to have an aura where there is a fuzziness to their outline. Often as a player moves through the screen they loose definition briefly (even when just walking), like they go through a fuzzy patch and then emerge on the other side. Basketball seems the worst with they players having the same issue as football.

We sit about 11' away. I used the settings on the very first post in this forum and the rtings settings. I've done the diagnosis videos in the support menu and those all look great. A post earlier that described sort of similar issues said they updated to 1460.9 and the problems disappeared. I have auto update but its say the software version is 1403. When I update it says that it is up to date but there may be versions on the website (i.e., 1460.9)

I am coming from a 12 year old mid range 40" Sony and I'm leaning to preferring that picture for sports and regular HD. Perhaps I expected too much.

Thank you.
What picture mode are you using? I'd suggest trying "Filmmaker mode". This will get rid of any artificial processing that can cause issues like this.
If that doesn't help, you can download 1460 onto a USB stick, insert into TV's USB port, and when you choose to upgrade your firmware it will check that stick. If you're using any HDMI 2.1 sources, I would advise staying on 1403.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey all... hope you can help me troubleshoot an issue i'm having during some testing before I install permanently (at end of remodel).

First thing to note... i HAVE TO USE an HDMI extender. I have this one and it has worked fine with my older 1080p HD set. I purchased this one knowing i'd be upgrading to 4K and thought this might be a good choice.
Amazon.com: J-Tech Digital HDBaseT HDMI Extender 4K Ultra HD Extender for HDMI 2.0 Over Single Cable CAT5e/6A up to 230ft (1080P) 130ft(4K) Supports HDCP 2.2/1.4, RS232, Bi-Directional IR and PoC: Electronics

My primary source is a Tivo box supplied by my (Wave Broadband) cable provider. The box automatically recognized it was plugged into a 4k tv... thought all was good.

Here's where the trouble happens. When running through the HDMI extender, if i change the channel to a show with a different resolution, or I go to the Netflix app on the Tivo box, i get a message on the TV "we are adjusting the picture quality (assume this is Input Signal Plus which is on for all the HDMI Ports).... and then i get a spinning wheel of dots on a black screen, followed by a "no signal on that HDMI Port".

If I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the TV and plug back in, my signal comes back. (usually)

This seems to work Fine if i remove the HDMI extender and use a straight cable between the TV and the Tivo (but i can only do that while i'm testing).

So i'm guessing It's the extender and maybe i didn't understand what to buy.

Any thoughts or other troubleshooting advice greatly appreciated.

I should note that they are brand new HDMI cables and a high end Cat6 cable i'm testing with as well).

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,776
I just purchased a 75" Q80T (Q8DT actually).
congrats on the purchase :) if you list your exact settings and source we might be able to troubleshoot your issues better. there are also settings in the 1st post of this thread to get your started.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah de-judder only makes sense for film material (it can still work when receiving a 60Hz signal). No clue why LD Low vs High doesn’t make as much of a difference with GMP. I didn’t test this very thoroughly, I only flipped a couple times in one scene of a game and found LD Low was not as bright as High only with GMP disabled. I don’t think it’s because of motion settings but could be because of input lag. Maybe it’s just a bug. In game play though i haven’t noticed any problems with LD High. Likely our settings differ somewhat or firmware behaving differently across panels.

I discovered also something else. If u want to use Vincents console calibrations settings its seems u can disable tone mapping in a very strange way. Launch your HDR game and the use your remote go to YouTube and play an SDR video and then again with your remote open the game again. U can also do the same in the console HDR calibration screen and u ll immediately notice that there is not tone mapping.I saw this method in a comment of a YouTube video and i tried it.Never thought it ll work but surprisingly it works..Of course u must do this every time u launch a game.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I discovered also something else. If u want to use Vincents console calibrations settings its seems u can disable tone mapping in a very strange way. Launch your HDR game and the use your remote go to YouTube and play an SDR video and then again with your remote open the game again. U can also do the same in the console HDR calibration screen and u ll immediately notice that there is not tone mapping.I saw this method in a comment of a YouTube video and i tried it.Never thought it ll work but surprisingly it works..Of course u must do this every time u launch a game.
Interesting. That’s a nice find. When doing that trick how many clicks are you using in the calibration utility? It was 15/15/0 with the Q80T for PS5 according to Vincent, but I’d imagine the number of clicks would be slightly different if you can get the calibration tool to work properly. I don’t think I would want to do that every time I launch a game though. Graphics look really good using Vincent’s recommendations for HDR calibration.

Reactions: jimtriol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting. That’s a nice find. When doing that trick how many clicks are you using in the calibration utility? It was 15/15/0 with the Q80T for PS5 according to Vincent, but I’d imagine the number of clicks would be slightly different if you can get the calibration tool to work properly. I don’t think I would want to do that every time I launch a game though. Graphics look really good using Vincent’s recommendations for HDR calibration.

its super easy .Just launch an SDR video for 2 sec in youtube from the TV application and then come back to game .I use 0/14/14 (Series X recommended ) because is console broken but u can observe also there that tone mapping is disabled .The first image in xbox is ps third image and i can confirm that with these settings is 1000 nits.I can test in on Gears 5 cause in game calibration defaults accordingly to the console calibration.When i use 14 clicks the game defaults at 1000 nits ,when i use for example 35 clicks defaults above 3000 ,or when i use 12 clicks defaults at 900 nits .So his settings for both consoles r accurate.The clicks ll be the same because the goal is to set 1000 nits.But before with tone mapping i need it 40 ,45 clicks to make the image total white. Now i can do it with 30 clicks but series x calibration is messed up .

·
Registered
3 Posts
What picture mode are you using? I'd suggest trying "Filmmaker mode". This will get rid of any artificial processing that can cause issues like this.
If that doesn't help, you can download 1460 onto a USB stick, insert into TV's USB port, and when you choose to upgrade your firmware it will check that stick. If you're using any HDMI 2.1 sources, I would advise staying on 1403.
Thanks, I was in standard mode. It does make it a bit better but still getting the issues.

1761 - 1780 of 1809 Posts