AVS Forum banner

1781 - 1800 of 1809 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey all... hope you can help me troubleshoot an issue i'm having during some testing before I install permanently (at end of remodel).

First thing to note... i HAVE TO USE an HDMI extender. I have this one and it has worked fine with my older 1080p HD set. I purchased this one knowing i'd be upgrading to 4K and thought this might be a good choice.
Amazon.com: J-Tech Digital HDBaseT HDMI Extender 4K Ultra HD Extender for HDMI 2.0 Over Single Cable CAT5e/6A up to 230ft (1080P) 130ft(4K) Supports HDCP 2.2/1.4, RS232, Bi-Directional IR and PoC: Electronics

My primary source is a Tivo box supplied by my (Wave Broadband) cable provider. The box automatically recognized it was plugged into a 4k tv... thought all was good.

Here's where the trouble happens. When running through the HDMI extender, if i change the channel to a show with a different resolution, or I go to the Netflix app on the Tivo box, i get a message on the TV "we are adjusting the picture quality (assume this is Input Signal Plus which is on for all the HDMI Ports).... and then i get a spinning wheel of dots on a black screen, followed by a "no signal on that HDMI Port".

If I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the TV and plug back in, my signal comes back. (usually)

This seems to work Fine if i remove the HDMI extender and use a straight cable between the TV and the Tivo (but i can only do that while i'm testing).

So i'm guessing It's the extender and maybe i didn't understand what to buy.

Any thoughts or other troubleshooting advice greatly appreciated.

I should note that they are brand new HDMI cables and a high end Cat6 cable i'm testing with as well).
I just figured out if I turn Input Signal Plus OFF, this will work correctly. Can someone explain what this feature actually does and what I might be missing by not using it?

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I just figured out if I turn Input Signal Plus OFF, this will work correctly. Can someone explain what this feature actually does and what I might be missing by not using it?
I think all it works with HDR and 4:4:4. If you don't need it, don't use it. I think 4:4:4 is only used with computers most of the time, very little for Home entertainment Display's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think all it works with HDR and 4:4:4. If you don't need it, don't use it. I think 4:4:4 is only used with computers most of the time, very little for Home entertainment Display's.
Super helpful and allowed me to do more research. Couple of followup questions if anyone knows...

1. You only get HDR if you have 4:4:4? I'm guessing that's not the case, but want to make sure.
2. Signal Input for a HDMI port is the way to turn off 4:4:4? Is that all it does ? Looks like on older Samsung's Tv's this was called something like "PC Input".

·
Registered
765 Posts
Super helpful and allowed me to do more research. Couple of followup questions if anyone knows...

1. You only get HDR if you have 4:4:4? I'm guessing that's not the case, but want to make sure.
2. Signal Input for a HDMI port is the way to turn off 4:4:4? Is that all it does ? Looks like on older Samsung's Tv's this was called something like "PC Input".
4K/60 HDR and 4K/60 SDR with 4:4:4 chroma require the higher bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 (at a lower resolution or frame rate you can get away with lower bandwidth). Input signal plus enables HDMI 2.0 bandwidth. Samsung used to call it HDMI UHD Color. It is also called 4K Enhanced Signal format by some receiver manufacturers and I believe LG calls it HDMI ultra HD Deep color.

It is enabled automatically on newer Samsung TVs when it is needed. Sounds like that automatic detection was causing your device to fail HDMI handshakes. It is recommended to disable the setting for older devices. However, most devices work fine when the setting is enabled. You would want it enabled for 4K HDR source devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Glenee

·
Vendor
28,616 Posts
Yeah, that's what I've gathered too but not sure it justifies an $800 price jump from the 900H along with other potential issues with OLED. Crappy time to buy a future proof TV, man.
There really is never a good time to buy electronics.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If this is just for SDR, then..
Without Input Signal Plus, you can still get 4:2:0/8-bit at 60Hz. All TV/Movies are filmed at 4:2:0 so you should see no degradation versus using 4:2:2 or 4:4:4.
So, bottom line, connecting a Tivo at 4K/60Hz with Input Signal Off you won't lose anything for SDR.

HDR is a bit more tricky and depends on the device. Some devices simply won't send HDR with Input Signal Plus off, as they want to use 10-bit color (or better). Some will fallback to 24 or 30Hz, since you can send 10-bit color in that mode with Input Signal Plus off. And some will dither the 10-bit signal to 8-bit and send it at 60Hz.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If this is just for SDR, then..
Without Input Signal Plus, you can still get 4:2:0/8-bit at 60Hz. All TV/Movies are filmed at 4:2:0 so you should see no degradation versus using 4:2:2 or 4:4:4.
So, bottom line, connecting a Tivo at 4K/60Hz with Input Signal Off you won't lose anything for SDR.

HDR is a bit more tricky and depends on the device. Some devices simply won't send HDR with Input Signal Plus off, as they want to use 10-bit color (or better). Some will fallback to 24 or 30Hz, since you can send 10-bit color in that mode with Input Signal Plus off. And some will dither the 10-bit signal to 8-bit and send it at 60Hz.
Super helpful.

So a scenario. If i have a show on netflix that is labeled HDR, and I'm using the Netflix app on the Tivo (probably at least 2 years old) to watch it, and i have Input Signal Plus off, how would i know if i'm getting HDR or not? Is there a way to see?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Super helpful.

So a scenario. If i have a show on netflix that is labeled HDR, and I'm using the Netflix app on the Tivo (probably at least 2 years old) to watch it, and i have Input Signal Plus off, how would i know if i'm getting HDR or not? Is there a way to see?

Thanks!!!!
Press the "123" button on the remote once or twice, then select the big "i". If the TV is receiving HDR, you'll see a rectangle just above the current day/time that says "HDR".

·
Registered
3 Posts
congrats on the purchase :) if you list your exact settings and source we might be able to troubleshoot your issues better. there are also settings in the 1st post of this thread to get your started.
Thanks, I did input those settings on the first page and football and golf are a little better. Basketball seems the same though. I've always had the motion turned off from the start so that doesn't seems to be the culprit.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just installed v1460 OTA. I know some had mentioned issues with it, however, I have not noticed any. I did notice that the Samsung remote now controls my PS5 (this did not work for me with HDMI-CEC on v1403). I tested whether multi-channel PCM passthrough was fixed and unfortunately that is still an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys what do you make of this... I've had my Q80T 85 inch (Australian model) for about 1 month... just noticed this dark horizontal band on the upper right side. Persists at all times. It's not your typical dark spot/smudge, it is more a distinct row of dark with a distinct row of light below it. Not that noticeable when watching a movie, but quite noticeable when you have solid colours - like when the kids are watching cartoons, etc.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys what do you make of this... I've had my Q80T 85 inch (Australian model) for about 1 month... just noticed this dark horizontal band on the upper right side. Persists at all times. It's not your typical dark spot/smudge, it is more a distinct row of dark with a distinct row of light below it. Not that noticeable when watching a movie, but quite noticeable when you have solid colours - like when the kids are watching cartoons, etc.

There might be something wrong with the panel. Get a replacement if you can or if not use the warranty to get it fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So is there an overall consensus on the 1460 update? I haven't installed yet and I haven't been having any issues that need improving so should I just hold off? I'm seeing mixed feelings about it, mostly centered around using a PS5 with this TV. Will I see any improvements anywhere or am I just risking new issues showing up by updating?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
8K price-wise is fairly reasonable,the flagship QN85Q950TS is $12,999.99
wow... so there really are people who think that’s a reasonable price for a tv these days lol. I replied in the master Q900/950t thread but the long and short of it is; the TV was never worth that much in my opinion. Not even close. The Q80t is (was?) really the sweet spot this year if you must get a Samsung panel.

·
Registered
765 Posts
So is there an overall consensus on the 1460 update? I haven't installed yet and I haven't been having any issues that need improving so should I just hold off? I'm seeing mixed feelings about it, mostly centered around using a PS5 with this TV. Will I see any improvements anywhere or am I just risking new issues showing up by updating?
I posted earlier that the update made the Samsung remote work with my PS5. Something else I recently noticed is with the motion. Was watching Captain America Civil War last night and the action was extremely crisp and clear. I thought motion processing had been improved but really my picture clarity settings were disabled (normally I leave it set to Custom de-blur 10 / de-judder 3). Honestly seems like it is still doing motion processing even when it’s not on. I know it has been mentioned that judder is removed even when the setting is turned off so maybe that is what was happening.

Anyways, this morning I was playing games and switched afterwards to my AppleTV. I noticed picture clarity was completely disabled and I couldn’t select any mode other than movie. I did a soft reboot of the TV and the issue was still there until I finally realized maybe it was because of game mode and switched game mode from Auto to Off (and back to Auto where now it was functioning properly). Anyways, Picture clarity was disabled again under movie mode after this happened. Other than this I haven’t noticed any issues. I do think something may have changed with motion processing (likely the reason for the the bug) and it seems better. Overall I think picture quality looks very good with this update and is improved from 1403. I felt 1402 looked better with the black levels than 1403. 1460 seems to have gone back to whatever they were doing with 1402. I held off updating to 1460 until it was available OTA because people had mentioned they experienced issues with it. Once an update is available OTA I figure I will either grab it or something after it so might as well just update and see what happens. I have not experienced any ghosting when gaming or seen the dimming bug people had mentioned.

Reactions: Glenee

·
Registered
77 Posts
I posted earlier that the update made the Samsung remote work with my PS5. Something else I recently noticed is with the motion. Was watching Captain America Civil War last night and the action was extremely crisp and clear. I thought motion processing had been improved but really my picture clarity settings were disabled (normally I leave it set to Custom de-blur 10 / de-judder 3). Honestly seems like it is still doing motion processing even when it’s not on. I know it has been mentioned that judder is removed even when the setting is turned off so maybe that is what was happening.

Anyways, this morning I was playing games and switched afterwards to my AppleTV. I noticed picture clarity was completely disabled and I couldn’t select any mode other than movie. I did a soft reboot of the TV and the issue was still there until I finally realized maybe it was because of game mode and switched game mode from Auto to Off (and back to Auto where now it was functioning properly). Anyways, Picture clarity was disabled again under movie mode after this happened. Other than this I haven’t noticed any issues. I do think something may have changed with motion processing (likely the reason for the the bug) and it seems better. Overall I think picture quality looks very good with this update and is improved from 1403. I felt 1402 looked better with the black levels than 1403. 1460 seems to have gone back to whatever they were doing with 1402. I held off updating to 1460 until it was available OTA because people had mentioned they experienced issues with it. Once an update is available OTA I figure I will either grab it or something after it so might as well just update and see what happens. I have not experienced any ghosting when gaming or seen the dimming bug people had mentioned.

Thanks for the details!

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I have tried various de-blur/de-judder settings and all the settings I tried did something to the picture I didn't like. I have gone to Filmmaker mode on all settings and just live with the Occasional motion problem. I do understand that this is not for all. The hockey fans I don't think could live with my settings. The #1 thing for me is Clarity and detail in a picture. Thats one of the reasons I Sold my LG OLED and went back to the Samsung. The motion handling on the LG C8 OLED needed a lot of extra help and just softened the picture too much. One of the things I like about Samsung is that the picture is watchable on all resolutions. All manufacture's do 4k well, but some do not do upconversion from lower resolutions as well as the Samsung. Which is about 50% of what I watch (Cable/Antenna).
I have found that over the years turning Off most processing works the best for me. The broadcaster's introduce a lot of the motion problems in the way they try to fit more and more channels into limited space allowed by the FCC.
I always recommend that Buyers take a Older DVD/USB stick (Lower Resolution)to the showroom and play it on the TV you are thinking of buying. If the picture is good on that you then know you have something you can live with, since a lot of what you will be viewing will not be in 4k/1080P.
Long story short. A lot of motion and judder problems are not removable by de-blur/de-judder anyway it is in the broadcast.
Last but not least to each his own. What I like will not be what you like but this is some of the facts.
You can't ignore it's my Money and I should be able to watch my Display the way I like it, not the way someone tell's me I should like it.
You should Too.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I had stains and marks on left side of my q80t 75 that only showed with solids. What a pain in the ass dealing with abc warehouse and Samsung.. They finally sent me a replacement. I guaranty that abc put it back on the floor and sold it to someone else with fault panel
Do you still have warranty

·
Registered
77 Posts
I posted my settings earlier in the thread (Post #970 ) for movies and sometimes I'm lazy and don't change picture modes for sports, however, I use the settings below for football and other sports (when I'm not lazy and decide to change the picture mode):

Picture Mode: Standard
Brightness: 25 / adjust to room preference
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 5
Color: 25
Tint: 0

Picture Clarity: Custom
Blur Reduction: 10 (Only on 120hz panels)
Judder Reduction: 4
LED Clear Motion: Off
Noise Reduction: Auto

Local Dimming: Standard
Contrast Enhancer: Low
Color Tone: Standard
Gamma: 2.2
Shadow Detail: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space Settings: Native

General Settings -> Intelligent Mode -> Adaptive Picture Off
General Settings -> Eco Sollution -> All settings Off/Disabled (values can change when you switch picture modes).
Hey all... just installed this today and am watching football and it's awful. I"m not sure all the terms to describe it... but looks almost pixelated.

Are the above settings still a good way to go, or something else i should look at first?

And what to most folks do long term... have specific picture mode (with settings) they bounce to when watching sports vs. other things?

Thanks. Please talk me off the ledge :)

1781 - 1800 of 1809 Posts