AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 2012 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Tried all combinations of black levels and nothing seems to make a difference. Also I’m on the base PS4 so not sure if anything else you mentioned applies.

It really is bizarre because I’ve triple checked and every picture setting is exactly the same across the board for SDR content.
That’s interesting. You can quickly check the bitrate while streaming in Netflix by clicking the options button on the remote. Likely it is a lower bitrate since it is not a PS4 Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
That’s interesting. You can quickly check the bitrate while streaming in Netflix by clicking the options button on the remote. Likely it is a lower bitrate since it is not a PS4 Pro.

My issue is with watching blu rays so bitrate shouldn’t be an issue haha

Just threw on the exact same movie I was watching on blu ray on the PS4 Netflix app and it’s completely fine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It’s not just this one too. The last 3 blu rays I’ve watched, in certain lighting people look like they’re sunburnt.

Surely it’d be more of a widespread issue if it were a problem with the PS4 hardware?

·
Registered
822 Posts
My issue is with watching blu rays so bitrate shouldn’t be an issue haha

Just threw on the exact same movie I was watching on blu ray on the PS4 Netflix app and it’s completely fine!
Oh okay, so blu-ray on PS4 doesn’t look right. I thought you were having problems with Netflix. You could try enabling / disabling Input Signal Plus to see if it makes a difference. I don’t have a PS4 so I’m not sure how it would respond with full hdmi 2.0 bandwidth enabled. Since it isn’t a 4K device I would think that setting wouldn’t matter but you could try toggling it on/off to see if it makes a difference.

When playing a blu-ray on the PS4 and entering the settings for video output I assume output at 1080p/24Hz is set to Automatic?

Reactions: Glenee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh okay, so blu-ray on PS4 doesn’t look right. I thought you were having problems with Netflix. You could try enabling / disabling Input Signal Plus to see if it makes a difference. I don’t have a PS4 so I’m not sure how it would respond with full hdmi 2.0 bandwidth enabled. Since it isn’t a 4K device I would think that setting wouldn’t matter but you could try toggling it on/off to see if it makes a difference.

When playing a blu-ray on the PS4 and entering the settings for video output I assume output at 1080p/24Hz is set to Automatic?

Just tried turning input signal plus off and it doesn’t seem to change all that much.

Yes 1080p/24hz is on automatic.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
On the Samsung for the input you have the PS4 Plugged into set Picture to Filmmaker, color tone to Warm 1, Gamma to 2.2, Color space to Native, and adjust Tint to liking after these settings. Remember to leave signal plus off as musicman said.
See if this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the Samsung for the input you have the PS4 Plugged into set Picture to Filmmaker, color tone to Warm 1, Gamma to 2.2, Color space to Native, and adjust Tint to liking after these settings. Remember to leave signal plus off as musicman said.
See if this helps.
Do you mean for gaming or watching blu rays?

As I’ve said before, the skin tones are perfectly fine using my existing picture settings on the PS4 streaming apps it’s literally just blu rays. Just done everything you’ve said and it hasn’t made much of a difference.

Edit: Changing to 2.2 and native improve the skin tones slightly but i don’t know how accurate the rest of the colours will be. I’d ideally just like to use the same settings as I have with everything else as they’re perfect to me 😅

·
Vendor
29,022 Posts
I have a question in a different direction. A couple weeks ago I bought a Q80T. I use it with a Roku player. Today I was watching music videos via Youtube. I was listening to them through my receiver.

I can also view Youtube through the Apps on the television. Is there any difference in the audio quality from a Roku versus the television? I do use an optical cable on the television to the receiver.

The Roku is connected to the television via HDMI. It is also connected to the receiver via RCA cable. What I was listening today was the Roku to the TV and back to the receiver. An option I never use is the Roku to the receiver (via RCA cables) and to the TV via HDMI. That makes little sense to me.

But, back to the original question. Would the audio be any better listening to the Apps on the TV versus from the Roku?
Probably about the same. I use You Tube on my firestick to jam. I will say I get more volume out of my laptop compared to my firestick for some reason.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Do you mean for gaming or watching blu rays?

As I’ve said before, the skin tones are perfectly fine using my existing picture settings on the PS4 streaming apps it’s literally just blu rays. Just done everything you’ve said and it hasn’t made much of a difference.

Edit: Changing to 2.2 and native improve the skin tones slightly but i don’t know how accurate the rest of the colours will be. I’d ideally just like to use the same settings as I have with everything else as they’re perfect to me 😅
Watching BluRay. Just leave it a couple of days. It takes a while for your eyes and Brain processing to adjust to any changes. Just try it for a couple days, if you don't like it change it back. The way I understand your post is that you don't like what you have now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I need to put an IR emitter on this unit. can someone tell me where the receiver window is on the TV? is it the middle?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Watching BluRay. Just leave it a couple of days. It takes a while for your eyes and Brain processing to adjust to any changes. Just try it for a couple days, if you don't like it change it back. The way I understand your post is that you don't like what you have now.
Given it a couple days but blu rays still looks off compared to streaming services on the PS4 and on the TV’s native apps.

Can’t quite understand why I’d need completely different picture settings for playing blu rays anyway, I’d have assumed it was something on the video output settings?

The colours definitely look better using your settings but it’s hard to compromise on a format I buy mainly for the picture quality.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@Glenee Actually turning the tint to G10(ish) does seem to do the trick on top of the other settings. Seems excessive but apparently that’s the only way to correct the oversaturated reds 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Yes. That is the smartest way for a quick fix until you find the problem. A lot of people would of said to adjust color level by saturations. Without a meter all that will do is mess everything up.

·
Registered
822 Posts
@Glenee Actually turning the tint to G10(ish) does seem to do the trick on top of the other settings. Seems excessive but apparently that’s the only way to correct the oversaturated reds
One thing worth considering is getting a standalone 4K UHD Blu-ray player. They have come down a lot in price and are nicer than using the gaming systems (also PS4 / PS4 Pro don’t support Ultra HD). The UHD player in the PS5 is nice but I still kept my standalone UHD player. If you have the media remote (or another remote to control the gaming system) I guess it doesn’t matter but I think it helps to maintain separate picture settings and not worry about whether game mode is on/off. Also with the newer systems connecting directly to the TV for HDMI 2.1, a standalone player lets you go directly to the receiver and avoid eARC for UHD discs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One thing worth considering is getting a standalone 4K UHD Blu-ray player. They have come down a lot in price and are nicer than using the gaming systems (also PS4 / PS4 Pro don’t support Ultra HD). The UHD player in the PS5 is nice but I still kept my standalone UHD player. If you have the media remote (or another remote to control the gaming system) I guess it doesn’t matter but I think it helps to maintain separate picture settings and not worry about whether game mode is on/off. Also with the newer systems connecting directly to the TV for HDMI 2.1, a standalone player lets you go directly to the receiver and avoid eARC for UHD discs.

I've actually just tested a film I was having issues with on a standalone BR player and it's exactly the same!

Usually I'd put it down to the content at this point but it's happened with multiple films which I've compared with netflix/prime video versions and without fail, the streaming versions always look how they should.

At a bit of a loss here. You'd think if you needed completely different settings for blu rays to look correct it would be more of a widespread issue?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've actually just tested a film I was having issues with on a standalone BR player and it's exactly the same!

Usually I'd put it down to the content at this point but it's happened with multiple films which I've compared with netflix/prime video versions and without fail, the streaming versions always look how they should.

At a bit of a loss here. You'd think if you needed completely different settings for blu rays to look correct it would be more of a widespread issue?
PS4 aside, most streaming services/devices are offering content in 4K UHD (Netflix, Prime, Disney) so comparing digital to a regular blu-ray mastered for a different gamma and color space will have different picture settings (that will kick in automatically by the TV). So they won’t always look the same. In the case you have though of an SDR video stream and blu-ray I agree they shouldn’t require different picture settings and should look the same. I remember there was a setting for blu-ray players called deep color that could change the color bit depth over hdmi. Using it didn’t always result in better picture either (sometimes it caused issues with color).

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I am starting to try and do some research on the PS4 to see if I can spot anything that would help you. I am trying to see if there is a setting for the Bluray portion only to set to pass thru or something like that. I think BluRay is YcbCr only. Don't worry about the apps they process a little differently than any source that would be displayed thru HDMI. Have you tried using the Apps thru the TV it's self and just using the PS4 for Gaming and BluRay. I am kinda poking in the dark here since I have never been around a PS4 because I am Older and not a Gamer. I am starting to read the instruction manual on the PS4 now.

Reactions: DLDZ

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am starting to try and do some research on the PS4 to see if I can spot anything that would help you. I am trying to see if there is a setting for the Bluray portion only to set to pass thru or something like that. I think BluRay is YcbCr only. Don't worry about the apps they process a little differently than any source that would be displayed thru HDMI. Have you tried using the Apps thru the TV it's self and just using the PS4 for Gaming and BluRay. I am kinda poking in the dark here since I have never been around a PS4 because I am Older and not a Gamer. I am starting to read the instruction manual on the PS4 now.
I currently use the apps on the TV for streaming as my PS4’s Netflix/prime etc. don’t have 4K/HDR. I have however tested the PS4 streaming apps and the movie(s) look exactly the same as they do on the TV’s apps.

As I’ve said up there somewhere ^^ it even happens on a standalone blu ray player so it’s 100% something to do with the TV’s processing of them and not the PS4 as I originally thought.

If you can think of any solutions after reading please let me know!

·
Registered
21 Posts
PS4 aside, most streaming services/devices are offering content in 4K UHD (Netflix, Prime, Disney) so comparing digital to a regular blu-ray mastered for a different gamma and color space will have different picture settings (that will kick in automatically by the TV). So they won’t always look the same. In the case you have though of an SDR video stream and blu-ray I agree they shouldn’t require different picture settings and should look the same. I remember there was a setting for blu-ray players called deep color that could change the color bit depth over hdmi. Using it didn’t always result in better picture either (sometimes it caused issues with color).

Yeah it’s just an SDR blu ray issue (haven’t had the chance to test any 4K blu rays yet with the TV). I have a whole wall of these things and I’d rather watch their objectively worse looking streaming versions atm 😅

I’ve tried turning that deep color setting off on the br player and PS4 and neither make much of a difference, if any.

1821 - 1840 of 2012 Posts