AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Oh, there’ll be scenes where the low native CR will be noticed with LD especially when it’s only in the 1667:1 neighborhood.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
^Im sure, however I need more time with it to judge for myself.

·
Registered
210 Posts

It's like removal a whole pixels line captured of a microscope

It sounds like how upset I am, but maybe I pick up the Samsung QLED 85Q950TS 8K if it comes where i live

·
Registered
210 Posts
It sounds like how upset I am, but maybe I pick up the Samsung QLED 85Q950TS 8K if it comes where i live
Q900TS/Q950TS has same wide viewing angles, so contrast ratio on those is not going to be any better.
But Q90T has a wide viewing angle and It has good Native contrast

It appears that the pixel density with the wide viewing angle layer is affected the Native contrast

Suppose that the wide viewing angles layer and the shape of pixels on the microscope at size 85, will approach a 4k 55 inch

The pixel shape affects the contrast Therefore IPS panels have poor contrast compared to VA panel

It is just something in my mind that I hope to be right

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
What LD setting are most using for HDR, standard or High? Also can someone explain in more detail, what the shadow detail setting does...it seems similar to a contrast setting? Is it ok to lower it in HDR?? TIA!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Rtings mentioned that TV is gsync compatible. I was curious to check it, so I did. It is definitely not validated for gsync. But you can enable it any way. Pendulum demo worked. When I did simulate 40 fps, it was showing 80hz in status bar, indication of LFC working.

I would like to test contrast ratio as well myself, but I don't know how rtings disables dimming for measuring.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Rtings mentioned that TV is gsync compatible. I was curious to check it, so I did. It is definitely not validated for gsync. But you can enable it any way. Pendulum demo worked. When I did simulate 40 fps, it was showing 80hz in status bar, indication of LFC working.

I would like to test contrast ratio as well myself, but I don't know how rtings disables dimming for measuring.

I’m not sure if the settings are the same, but this was how they did it in last year’s Q900R:

“Unfortunately, the TV's local dimming can't be completely disabled using the normal settings menu. In order to measure the native contrast ratio, we had to disable PC Mode Dimming in the TV's service menu, and then activate PC Mode and Game Mode at the same time.”

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What LD setting are most using for HDR, standard or High? Also can someone explain in more detail, what the shadow detail setting does...it seems similar to a contrast setting? Is it ok to lower it in HDR?? TIA!
LD is always on High for HDR. CE on High would blow out the highlights in 96% of the HDR content, so there are exceptions. it all depends on the mastering.

Shadow Detail is this year's Brightness, no more no less.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
^I didnt say anything about Contrast Enhancer. Also, the q800t LD may perform differently than the q80t.

·
Registered
95 Posts
From the rtings.com review, it seems like the gray uniformity issues are consistent with the experience of some users here:

“There appears to be uniformity issues where the LED zones are, as parts of the screen look botchy. It’️s very noticeable on white screens, as you can see in this photo, which is heavily edited to show the effect.”

https://www.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/samsung/q800t/q800t-white-screen-badness-large.jpg

I admit the heavily edited photo looks bad, but I wonder how bad it would look to me IRL.
My 65” Q95T also has terrible screen uniformity. It has significant DSE that seems to correspond to the FALD LED array situated behind the LCD layer. It manifests as a grid that is super noticeable during sports and games when panning the camera over sky or water. It will be replaced by the retailer in a week or two.

I hope this isn’t a widespread issue.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
@denpom well it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out we dont have the same set right? Or the same specifications right? Maybe there is a different dimming algorithm they use for the 8k sets. It always seems like you have the answer to anything samsung right??
Now run along back to the q80t thread and tell everyone their sets are perfect.

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Some observations after about 24 hrs:

The set performs quite well in both well lit environments and dark room...beit with bias lighting

The Black Bars stay black about 90% of the time depending on intensity, barely any blooming into them...is it the 300 or so zones...The only real annoyance I see is what seems to look like halo blooming depending on content.

The colors dont look to me as cartoony as they had before, but my 77C8 still looks more saturated and life like. Compared to my 75Q8Fn, Ill take the q800t by a slight margin.

Overall its a good set, dimming can get wonky at times...hopefully samsung can address that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
^I just bought the 75Q800t and compared to my 75q8fn, its pretty darn good as far as contrast goes.
Congrats my man! Looking forward to hearing your impressions. I bought the 82 inch that's supposed to be here Friday. Crossing my fingers I like it better than my Sony 940E.

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Vendor
26,628 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
I just ended up returning my second 75q800t. It had horrible dirty screen and bands as well as I could see the Dimming zones when any shots panned in the background. Randomly powered off also. Moving on to a 85Q90T.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Congrats my man! Looking forward to hearing your impressions. I bought the 82 inch that's supposed to be here Friday. Crossing my fingers I like it better than my Sony 940E.
Pm sent!

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I was lucky enough to receive this exact tv 3 weeks ago from Samsung as a review unit. In a bright room the tv looks stunning: the high brightness level and the anti-reflective coating are top notch. Even when sunlight shines through the window, the picture is still very bright what is an advantage over OLED-tv’s.

However, I am really disappointed with the very poor local dimming and the blooming and brightness fluctuations that arise around the subtitles. When watching a darker scene in a pitch dark room the blooming becomes quite annoying, certainly if you watch with subtitles. Not only the area around the subtitles lights up, but the whole tv-area becomes noticeable brighter which I find very distracting. The strange part is that in a test environment, so just the white circle local dimming test, the tv performs really well, which in my point of view demonstrates a problem in the algorithm…

In my opinion, this isn’t tolerable for a tv that costs nearly €4000 and was therefore surprised that this tv scored a 7.5 on the local dimming test. You can also find a lot of topics about this if you Google “qled subtitles local dimming”. I’m curious if you had the same experience as I have. Thanks in advance!

341 - 360 of 424 Posts