AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have contrast enhancer off. I have local dimming on high. What is EOTF?
I have contrast at 45. I will lower to 43 and test later tonight.

Can anyone else with the set test the scenes above and tell me if you see the issues I’️m seeing?
EOTF is the brightness curve of the content (Electro-Optical Transfer Function) It represents the director's intention for brightness With Q9FN Samsung made the EOTF curve look more bright than the intention of the director, causing loss of detail in bright scene It looks like a contrast enhancer setting

The Calibrators were reducing the contrast value to Fix this issue In the most accurate in Samsung TV Vincent was upset at the time and Consumers who appreciate the color accuracy

They reduced contrast 5 clicks to fix this issue Samsung finally put out the local dimming settings in high to accurately tracks the EOTF curve in 2020 model She improved a lot by showing bright details

But i just suppose, that there is an inaccuracy, that may help you, or it makes you in another problem, which is to make the content more dim than the intention of the director

The picture is at the top There is a deviation from the EOTF curve Representative of gray colour

The curve starts from 0 nits to 1000 nits Gray indicates The brightness is higher than the output intent in each value nits of content

The gray curved they must match the yellow curve

Like this

I assumed the Q900TS would do well with EOTF

The EOTF effect You can find it here at 8:53

https://youtu.be/G9Cbd3UuNIU

Look at 11:25

https://youtu.be/NrRUTqfB_Ts

In this Video of Lg OLED CX When activating the dynamic tone (settings software)
with HDR10 content OLED TVs need this because their brightness less than 1000 nits

needs dynamic metadata format like Dolby Vision compared than HDR10 Static metadata format

It is just a software solution to solve the problem of not being able to output the brightness of the content no more (dynamic tone settings)

So i just say maybe that helps and i am I am not sure But it may reduce excessive light in the content Like in the video you sent us

If it does not work Repeat Contrast 45 and Try reducing shadow detail 1or 2 anyway try To find the solution

I hope Samsung will release firmware to solve the issue And to know if the other owners suffer from the same problem

·
Registered
750 Posts
I tried what you’d said and I’m still getting those issues both by reducing the contrast to 43 and also by reverting to 45 and messing around with shadow detail as well as some gamma setting called st.2804 and moving that up and down.

Anybody else have these issues? Is calibration something I could do myself and what software and hardware would I need to buy or would this result inn crappy results? I don’t believe my wife will allow a professional calibrator into the house.

I’ll try seeing if I spot these issues on my Z9D (in another room tomorrow). I just went to those same scenes on my 13” iPad Pro and the image was stable the entire time (although I can’t tell if the iPad Pro is actually outputting in HDR or not but its definitely outputting at a resolution above 1080p - although I assume below 4K).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I tried what you’️d said and I’️m still getting those issues both by reducing the contrast to 43 and also by reverting to 45 and messing around with shadow detail as well as some gamma setting called st.2804 and moving that up and down.

Anybody else have these issues? Is calibration something I could do myself and what software and hardware would I need to buy or would this result inn crappy results? I don’️t believe my wife will allow a professional calibrator into the house.

I’️ll try seeing if I spot these issues on my Z9D (in another room tomorrow). I just went to those same scenes on my 13” iPad Pro and the image was stable the entire time (although I can’️t tell if the iPad Pro is actually outputting in HDR or not but its definitely outputting at a resolution above 1080p - although I assume below 4K).

You can do the calibration on your self But you need some knowledge To do that I can help you But I don't guarantee you this in HDR Because HDR calibration is said to be more difficult although I feel easy

I can help you with the SDR and maybe the automatic calibration for HDR is good I don't know but I'll try to help

It makes everything look better, and the colors can help a little, but I can't guarantee it In fact, I plan to purchase calibrators Tools

5200$

Calibration will not help much with your Issue It's from a local dimming system

Samsung should review Q900TS and release firmware to solve this Issue

I hope samsung solve this Issue, in fact, I am tired of Waiting And I try to get this TV at the end

You have two another options Waiting until Covid 19 he goes Or to convince your wife to enter someone to do this

Do you think that this problem affects the decision to buy this TV?

Is it a big issue

Calibration may not work as what Avforum did in The review

Any comment from other owners

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all with the 900TS,

So far I’ve generally been pleased w/ this purchase. Black levels are excellent. Off angle viewing is better than my Z9D. Love the size of the set. It also has been working better w/ my receiver whereas my Z9D would often get confused and turn on its own speakers and switch off from the receiver (despite using the ARC HDMI port).

However, I have noticed on several occasions something I can only describe as unstable local array dimming. I have only seen this while watching HDR content and only in a few instances. As shown in the video below go to minute 13:15. This appears to be an issue in last year’s Q900R and was corrected according the reviewer although I’ve seen it on this set.

http://https://youtu.be/8E2DEPHRDH4

I was wondering if those w/ the Q900TS could confirm if they are seeing this. Can you turn on Netflix and go to the show Space Force (sadly average at best in my view) and go to Episode 7 (The Spy).
-Minute 11:20 - While Brad (bald, mustache) is speaking (just him in the shot) the concrete wall to the left gets all noisy like the TV can’t make up its mind as to what to do with the texture of the wall.
-Minute 22:04 - Brad and Steve Carrell are speaking. The archway on Steve’s left (again concrete) has all this noise.
- Minute 31:30 - As we pull away from Steve Carrell and his couch, look at the three pot lights above him, they keep pulsing in terms of brightness.

The first two really puzzle me as the scenes are not particularly dark at all. I just think the out of focus concrete wall w/ the dark textures is confusing the local dimming. At first I thought this was just flicker from the show filming using LED lights but this can’t be the case here. The last one with the lights seems more inline with what the YouTube review of the Q900R was. While the scene is somewhat dark, its not THAT dark. I tried both my Apple TV as well as the internal Netflix app and saw the above issues. I’ve also tried setting local dimming to standard and high. I am watching in movie mode.

I’ve also noticed occasionally while using my Apple TV, while starting up any app (before the logo hits) I can see some of this pulsing issue/noise (for about half a second).

Is this my set only or do you guys see this issue? I’d say in content only I’ve only seen it about 1% of the time so don’t want to make it a mountain out of a mole hill but trying to understand if my set is defective or this is al algorithm issue that can be updated via firmware update (if they bother fixing it). I never experienced anything like this with the Sony Z9D, nor do I ever see anything like this on my iPad Pro and it is distracting when it pops up. Thoughts?
The picture quality of the first few episodes of Space Force in HDR were so nice, I started changing the TV's setting when the picture started getting grainy on episode 6, The Spy. That was before I saw your post. I ended up making local dimming to High and Contrast Enhancer to High. Setting Contract Enhancer to high seems to smooth out transitions from brighter to dimmer scenes better. I went back to check the scenes that you mentioned. Cannot see those problems, but the whole episode remains grainier/nosier than other episodes. Please note that I am watching a 2019 Q900R.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does anyone else have eARC problems with the Q900TS? I'm trying to figure out if the source of the problem is from my Marantz AV8805 or the TV.

Whenever the signal is broken (changing TV channel, changing source input, changing streams,etc.) the sound interrupts. Samsung says this interruption is normal when using eARC. But that happens only if I'm lucky and the system has been on for a short while. Soon thereafter, any such change loses the HDMI 3 connection entirely - audio and picture.

For the most part input source from my AVP is Apple TV. But sometimes it's HEOS. But even Q900TS sources loses eARC audio. This problem is making eARC worthless on this unit.

And BTW, the problem is not from my cable. Although there are no "certified" HDMI 2.1 cable available, the HDMI 2.1, 8k rated cables I've used in this case certainly can carry eARC data and more.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Can’t really answer your question as all Content goes to the receiver and then goes to the tv (the old fashion way). I will find out this winter when the new consoles are released.

I will say that there have been a few times when switching activities via my harmony elite that I think the signal gets a little confused and I will see it all line up but then the signal goes dark and says there is no source via my Denon x-6200w. I then have to turn off everything and start over again. However, I will say that this setup has been a lot more stable than my Sony Z9D that for some reason loved switching off my Denon to its internal TV speakers or have both running at the same time (despite having ARC).

Hopefully someone else has experience here.

Been watching Killing Eve Season 3 (Episodes 4-5). Nearly unwatchable. I think there is some issue where the series is shot at 50hz and I’m watching it here (even at a matched frame rate). I think there is some weird flicker action going on between the LCD lights they are using the shoot the show and then the actual output of the show. I see it even during broad day light scenes. This isn’t a Samsung issue as I pulled it up on my iPad Pro and saw the same thing. However, I think the Samsung FALD exacerbates because it sees the flicker and consequently is flickering the local dimming.

Alas this appears to be an issue with a bad source rather than the Samsung’s fault although I wish there was a way for the samsung to be more forgiving in these types of situations. I suspect it comes back to the aggressive local dimming.

FYI I also found a short 15 second clip of 8K stored on the TV. If you go to Settings>Support>Device Care> Self Diagnosis>Video Test>Ok.
Can anybody actually tell me how to watch 8K on YouTube as the app and the internet browser appear to max out at 4K.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jason Priestley said:
I will say that there have been a few times when switching activities via my harmony elite that I think the signal gets a little confused and I will see it all line up but then the signal goes dark and says there is no source via my Denon x-6200w. I then have to turn off everything and start over again.
This happens routinely with me and it's quite aggravating. At this point, eARC on this Samsung unit is essentially useless. And that's a shame because this unit has all the apps I need without having to use a separate media device.

Jason Priestley said:
FYI I also found a short 15 second clip of 8K stored on the TV. If you go to Settings>Support>Device Care> Self Diagnosis>Video Test>Ok.
Yes, a very cute video.

Jason Priestley said:
Can anybody actually tell me how to watch 8K on YouTube as the app and the internet browser appear to max out at 4K.
In YouTube, while watching the clip, you have to go to the clip options, choose ... (more) and then select the 4k button (or whatever it says for the current resolution). It will let you select your prefered resolution. It is probably set to Auto, which will not select 8k. You have to manually select 8k. It will remember that resolution going forward.

Just be aware that not all YouTube clips that boasts 8k are really 8k. Most are 4k max even in the 8k channel. But there are a good bit of genuine 8k and 12k videos, which will show in 8k. And they are fantastic! Check out the one that flies over Manhattan! If you get close, you can read the signages on the buildings.

·
Vendor
26,676 Posts
Ok, I am looking at both the 65 inch Q80T and Q90T for replacement of my 5-year-old Sammy JU7100. Let me state I am NOT a gamer and have no interest in adding such features and cost to the device. Also, I am NOT interested in any enhanced internal audio features as everything will be routed through my Yamaha AVR, 4kATV and Atmos system. That being said is the 90T that much better in PQ and non-gaming functions to command a large step up in price? Would I just be paying for features not to be used? The bottom line for me is GREAT PQ for a reasonable price. Thanks for the input.
Since you are here, the 90T is the better set, is it worth the cost, only you can decide that.....

the 82 Q900R were no longer available from Samsung when my panel failed and the Q900T were not yet out. Think it was just a timing thing. Worked out the same in the end as I wound up with 85 Q900T.
Sounds like good luck to me ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
This happens routinely with me and it's quite aggravating. At this point, eARC on this Samsung unit is essentially useless. And that's a shame because this unit has all the apps I need without having to use a separate media device.

Yes, a very cute video.

In YouTube, while watching the clip, you have to go to the clip options, choose ... (more) and then select the 4k button (or whatever it says for the current resolution). It will let you select your prefered resolution. It is probably set to Auto, which will not select 8k. You have to manually select 8k. It will remember that resolution going forward.

Just be aware that not all YouTube clips that boasts 8k are really 8k. Most are 4k max even in the 8k channel. But there are a good bit of genuine 8k and 12k videos, which will show in 8k. And they are fantastic! Check out the one that flies over Manhattan! If you get close, you can read the signages on the buildings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3uF3990Q0
Interesting. I didn’t click on that because in the native app as it said 4K as the resolution when browsing the thumbnails but when you click on the video and check settings it moved to 8K. The detail is very impressive and this is coming from someone that has a similar view from his office in NYC. Very lifelike. Wish there was more content like this out there....heck I just wish there was sports showing at resolutions higher than 720p and 1080i...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Interesting. I didn’t click on that because in the native app as it said 4K as the resolution when browsing the thumbnails but when you click on the video and check settings it moved to 8K. The detail is very impressive and this is coming from someone that has a similar view from his office in NYC. Very lifelike. Wish there was more content like this out there....heck I just wish there was sports showing at resolutions higher than 720p and 1080i...
If we have a college football season, which I think we will, hopefully it's just right around the corner. College football in 4K from ESPN, and 4K/HDR from NBC and FS1 looked incredible last year. And even some of the Thursday night NFL games from the FS1 app looked good!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pulled the trigger and got the 85inch version of this set! I’m excited!

Just want to know from those who purchased this set, any purchase regrets now that you’ve had time to put it through the motions?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
242 Posts
Pulled the trigger and got the 85inch version of this set! I’m excited!

Just want to know from those who purchased this set, any purchase regrets now that you’ve had time to put it through the motions?

Thanks, Mike
No regrets. But, there are flaws. Samsung needs to push a few firmware updates. I still say it's the best >80" FALD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No regrets. But, there are flaws. Samsung needs to push a few firmware updates. I still say it's the best >80" FALD.
Thanks for the response!!!

It seems we both have the Sony A1E in our houses. Knowing that these are different Tv tech, how do you compare the samsung picture quality with our older OLED?

Mike

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pulled the trigger and got the 85inch version of this set! I’️m excited!

Just want to know from those who purchased this set, any purchase regrets now that you’️ve had time to put it through the motions?

Thanks, Mike
Do you think the colors are deep enough To make you feel its Native contrast is excellent

8k TV tests to date seem disappointing I guess only issue are in sizes like 65

I think 85 the best Performance of 8k

What do you think I don't think we get review for larger size

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you think the colors are deep enough To make you feel its Native contrast is excellent

8k TV tests to date seem disappointing I guess only issuse are in sizes like 65

I’m hoping that the 85inch is the sweet spot to get the most out of this set. I’m going to try an put it through the motions so if I need to return it and get something else, I will.

·
Registered
215 Posts

8k TV tests to date seem disappointing I guess only issuse are in sizes like 65

I’️m hoping that the 85inch is the sweet spot to get the most out of this set. I’️m going to try an put it through the motions so if I need to return it and get something else, I will.
Waiting for you

You also have a Sony OLED A1E So excited to hear your opinion about it

201 - 220 of 357 Posts