AVS Forum banner

461 - 472 of 472 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Toronto, kijiji, 75Q900TS, and still active.

I don't know is my TV bad, but I able to see bright dots, half inch size over solid white or color picture. Banding visible too, during camera panning. Corners darker.

Black space between pixels, not solid fill.
Pixels small and bright

I checked forum, many people have this, actually no good for initial release price.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can say that the Samsung Q950T / Q900T is outstanding tv

I think the most distinctive version 85 size And maybe he didn't take his right from Reviewers

It has some minor flaws, such as crush the shadow details, but I've only noticed that in rare and few scenes As a shot of Vincent in The Revenant

Dimming system is more genius with HDR content Compared to some SDR movies

I feel that the OLED highlights details in dark scenes more strongly My comparison with Amoled

I just want to have a future 55 OLED because of curiosity, see the differences, and cover some of the Q950T's faults.

But really, I feel that the zoning and the smartness of this TV's dimming system are outstanding

I did not feel an increase in brightness from the EOTF curve I mean, I didn't notice that

Some shadow details might be smashed in very few scenes, but that's okay

But on the on other side, i get in other scenes an incredible level of blackness, contrast, and color depth Incredible for LCD panel

This TV is also beautiful as it has an HDR tone mapping adapted to HDR10 due to its higher brightness

Sounds like dynamic tone mapping Compared to oled, it brings out the bright details

This is an advantage

Def is a nice tv. I did alot of tests on this one and the Z8H. I went with the z8h. But still a great tv

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm having issuse with the Q950TS somewhat annoying me

Vertical transmission for motion down then up I can see the balck frames lines It looks transparent, but I can see it

I guess because of the slow movement of the frame, I don't know if the 85-inch size is one of the reasons

The motion movement is excellent, except for this problem. I hope Samsung will solve it

I don't know if you are facing the same problem or it is only in my unit version

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm having issuse with the Q950TS somewhat annoying me

Vertical transmission for motion down then up I can see the balck frames lines It looks transparent, but I can see it

I guess because of the slow movement of the frame, I don't know if the 85-inch size is one of the reasons

The motion movement is excellent, except for this problem. I hope Samsung will solve it

I don't know if you are facing the same problem or it is only in my unit version
To be honest I usually try and stay with 65 inch tvs because the bigger the size more of a chance of things happening. I almost got the 65 inch one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
To be honest I usually try and stay with 65 inch tvs because the bigger the size more of a chance of things happening. I almost got the 65 inch one.
Not that annoying To this limit Just I am very sensitive To these things Maybe someone else won't see it They appear with grayscale With fast slow motion like Capture slow motion

But I was upset that I could see it, even if it was light, and it appears in a strange and unclear way

Yes, maybe the size is one of the reasons

To clarify She appears with Camera movement from bottom to top Then I can see black frame With the scene that contains grayscale

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just an update on my TV. I have noticed three instances of light bleed on the bezel which is a bit upsetting. I bought the set on May 27th, 2020 so we will see how they handle the warranty/repair. What is concerning to me is I did scan for this issue explicitly when another user noticed it with their set (which they then returned). Clearly I’m outside of that window. So I wonder if the bezel and panel are potentially separating as time goes on? Now at my seating distance which is admittedly far away at about 14 feet, it is really hard to detect the light bleed, you have to be within touching distance of the TV to see it but I worry that since I didn’t see it when I first heavily scrutinized the set that this issue will get worse. Will update those as to how Samsung handles this especially when this is their flagship 85” set so this wasn’t a cheap purchase. Here are the three instances that I saw:

-See left side bezel near forehead of character on screen

Very small but notice the two dots at the corner

-Look at the middle of the photo

One other observation. While close to the screen I set Fortnite on the Xbox Series X to 120fps mode and noticed several purple dots/dashes all along the right side of the screen. Now, I’ve noticed at 60fps that I don’t see this. I also reset the overscan on this game and it shows up. However, when I tested three other 120fps titles I did not see these issues. For now I’m going to chalk this up to an issue with the software than a hardware issue.

Overall, I’ve been happy with the product, however I would like to see this light bleed addressed especially given the ~$10k I’ve paid for this product.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Haven’t been on AVS in a while... so let me apologize for the length of this up front as I generally only post when I have questions, or seriously positive or disappointing observations. That said, while I have several general and serious reservations about Samsung quality, reliability and customer service, I also suffer a fatal flaw in that I’m a sucker for a “deal”. So after we found an 85 inch Q900t at about half it’s current marked down retail complete with warranty (expect to see this right around the corner more often as the 2021 TVs are on their way)... my morbid curiosity couldn’t resist it and decided to give Samsung another chance. This same retailer also had a leftover orphan 2019 65 inch Q900r for under a g, and long and short of it... that was likely the better choice in the bang for the buck department even with the dramatic discount, but we just had no need for another 65 class.

My main curiosity is, is there people out there who actually pay the insane retails for these things? ESPECIALLY the 950 which Best Buy still has at around 11k. Surely no one believes that the sum of these parts is worth anywhere near that much. Anyway, value i guess is a relative thing to each person so I digress...

Getting back to facts... Let me start out with color accuracy out of the box. It is in a word absolutely atrocious and the first aspect that immediately caught my attention. Every other TV and device in our household, including my “gold standard”... a 2014 Sony XBR950B, displays the Sling Tv logo as a CLEARLY more orange cast. On the 900t despite every attempt I’ve made, this and other orange hued items pop across as some sort of radioactive yellow hue that is completely incorrect. Curiously enough, once you’re actually watching a movie or tv show, the impact isn’t as dramatic. But it’s still there on anything Orange or yellow to an extent. Per a previous poster’s advice in this thread with the same observation, I used RTING’s settings for a Q90t (and why didn’t RTINGs ever test a 950 or 900t anyway?) and that helped, but did not eliminate the problem.

Problem 2:for a tv with a reported 480 dimming zones... brightness on this TV is absolutely disappointing in its inconsistency. Watching 4:3 episodes of ST TNG on Netflix (all native tv apps used, movie mode always used) yields an almost uncomfortably highlighted picture. Yet once you adjust for this, watching either inherently densely bright content like full screen snow camping videos on YouTube, or letterboxed content that is inherently dark like “Midnight Special” on Netflix for example; the brightness drops so considerably in both of those cases that it feels almost too dim for the given piece of content. It’s as if the TV software actively resists brightness on purpose regardless of what it’s hardware is capable of. I see why some reviewers like FOMO said just leave the brightness setting at 50 because it’s all the tv can do to get out the brightness it can, but again on windowed or boxed content that’s a little too intense. Also, behavior on scrolling credits is seriously bizarre as the tv dips and bobs from dark to light. So far the best compromise is brightness around 37, Local Dimming set to high, and the contrast optimizer turned off... but I may turn it back on as it gives a little more punch. And yes, all the intelligent nonsense, including the ambient light detector is disabled. On the Sony, I don’t have to touch any of this once it’s set it’s done. Occasionally I tick the backlight up or down one notch to help with shadow details. But that’s it. And speaking of which, this TV horribly crushes blacks unless that shadow detail crutch control is set to +2 or 3.

Next, how does anyone look at the build quality of this thing and feel like they’ve gotten their money’s worth. The stand is a joke, and the back of the TV is no where near as high a grade of plastic as the rear of my Sony or the Z8H. All of the construction in general is just average at best. My guess is Samsung’s profit margin on these top tier models has got to be astronomical. This strange and constant goal of Samsung to make their TVs as “thin” and bezel free as possible not only seems like a distraction for building them with cheaper materials overall, it may even have detrimental impacts on the durability and robustness of the sensitive components (ribbon cables especially) crammed into these hopelessly thin spaces. For what it’s worth there was a 85 Q80t on display next to the 900ts and the design of the tv seemed more “classically” attractive somehow and the picture just seemed to pop more. But I wrote it off as simply store mode settings. I’m not so convinced it wouldn’t have been a better choice.

Lastly, some of my reservations with Samsung have come from previous run ins with their customer service teams (including declining warranty coverage on a TV because the receipt from the retailer said “as is”, as in no returns not that there was anything wrong with the tv... retailer ended up stepping up to fix it by replacing the entire panel and then a year later it broke AGAIN) and several Samsung products that either I or friends or family have owned that have broken down in one way or another with limited support. Sony just seems superior in these aspects. Clearly demonstrated by the fact they’re used as mastering displays in the film and TV industries. I noticed FOMO tried his best to be nice and “explain” this away by saying Samsung prefers to pander to the slice of the audience that likes bright pretty colors, but that type of justification would never fly in audiophile audio circles for audio equipment or speakers. On the other hand, HDTVtest had no problem panning the Samsung when comparing it to a Z8H directly.

Ultimately, it was a fun experiment to play with a top of the line tv again and I decided to give Samsung the benefit of the doubt. This seems to be a “good” TV, I commend Samsung for quickly integrating AV1 support to provide a small amount of available YouTube 8K content to actually enjoy right away, and the little stainless remote is a nice novelty... but the asking price is laughable for what you’re getting here otherwise. Most of the goodness is probably just the awe and enjoyment of the 85 inch size in general. I’ll probably end up trying to find someone to trade for a Sony Z8H even if at the 75 inch class. Ive noticed that even in store settings at retailers like Magnolia, that TV looks so lifelike and perfectly color balanced compared to even my well adjusted set, that it’s simply not a contest. But that’s probably wishful thinking as I can’t imagine anyone wanting to go from their Sony investment to a Samsung for any quantifiable reason.

My biggest “Yep!” So far since joining AVS has been a Panasonic ZT60 plasma. I’m gonna have to say that given what Samsung expects people to fork over for these TVs as retails keep getting unabashedly higher and higher on the entire industry in general... in the end this is probably my biggest “Nope!”. If you care about color accuracy and build quality... the Sony product is probably not only the better choice in performance, they’re somehow typically cheaper, to boot. I don’t expect most of these key tenets to change for either brand’s 21 models, either.

·
Registered
784 Posts
  • I generally agree with all your observations although in general programming use, I’ve found this TV’s picture quality very pleasing. And this is coming from someone that has historically owned “reference” type TV’s like the Pioneer Kuro Elite (in the bedroom) , Panasonic ZT60, and 77” Sony Z9D (in the spare TV room). Maybe, I’m becoming less discerning but I may actually like the extra pop of color that I may see after following the RTING’s settings on the Q90T (I believe they won’t review the Q900T and Q950TS because of cost).
  • I do think its overly aggressive in local dimming to combat haloing vs. the Z9D I have. But other than watching end credits or as you say, very very dark scenes I’m generally really happy with it.
  • Build quality is another story. We will see if Samsung can fix the light bleed issue i have with what appears to be a separation of the bezel and the panel. They are small and harder to detect from my seating position but it is there. I suppose this is what happens when you try to create an “infinity bezel”. Technicians are coming later next week to have a look.
  • One thing worth mentioning that I”m still very pleased with is off access viewing. Significantly better than the Z9D. Like absolute night and day.
  • Oh and another, is game mode. Sure there is some bloom but the response time at <10ms is so so so much better than my Z9D and I believe better than the current Sony’s out there. None of the Sony’s had HDMI 2.1 other than the entry level set they offer (not their flagship sets) and I was one of those guys that said 4K 120FPS is not that important and I’m fine with 30FPS. I’m wrong. After playing several titles at 120FPS, i get it now. It’s not a gimmick, my actual stats have improved in competitive games. This set also has VRR. Again, something I do not believe the Sony sets have.
  • Lastly as to the cost. It’s a lot of money. I get it. But its also relative. I did not pay the initial $10K MSRP but also not its current $7K. I also paid a similar $9000 a few years ago for that 75” Sony Z9D. What should we compare this cost to? I just redid a driveway and it cost me $35K. I also redid a front walkway and steps and that was also another $35k. Those are have to do expenses that don’t really add value to my house other than curb appeal and I get no enjoyment out of those things. We are renting a beach house for a week for a vacation and its not in some exotic locale and yet because of this pandemic and because everything is booking up, that will cost us $8k...and there were others in the area that were $12k-$15k. Sure, I’ll have memories of the vacation but again this isn’t like I’m going to some place like Bora Bora or something.
  • When I made the decision to purchase this, I looked at the available TV’s out there. First, I sit 14 feet away from the TV and so 85” was a must for me. I wanted as thin of a bezel as possible. I needed a TV set with at least one HDMI 2.1 port. At the time that basically left me with three options: The Q900TS, the LG 88” OLED, and the Q90T. Well the Q90T had fewer zones than the Q900TS and had thicker bezels. The LG 88” OLED looked great...except that was also $30K at the time (again did not want to get the 77” CX as I already have a 75” TV so did not seem like much of an upgrade other than hdmi 2.1 and input response time. So basically that just left me with this set. Will there be better sets out there in the future? Yes. I’m no diehard Samsung loyalist. While I can’t say I notice the lack of Dolby Vision, it still bothers me that this set doesn’t have it. Maybe this new LG OLED at 83” announced at CES will be in the sub <10k range. I think the new Sony sets this year will have hdmi 2.1. But I’ve made my bed and have to stick with this set for a few years (as long as they can fix this panel bezel separation issue -otherwise yes, I’m going to become a very vocal complainer on here as well as other sites very soon - I hope Samsung reads this).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
  • I generally agree with all your observations although in general programming use, I’ve found this TV’s picture quality very pleasing. And this is coming from someone that has historically owned “reference” type TV’s like the Pioneer Kuro Elite (in the bedroom) , Panasonic ZT60, and 77” Sony Z9D (in the spare TV room). Maybe, I’m becoming less discerning but I may actually like the extra pop of color that I may see after following the RTING’s settings on the Q90T (I believe they won’t review the Q900T and Q950TS because of cost).
  • I do think its overly aggressive in local dimming to combat haloing vs. the Z9D I have. But other than watching end credits or as you say, very very dark scenes I’m generally really happy with it.
  • Build quality is another story. We will see if Samsung can fix the light bleed issue i have with what appears to be a separation of the bezel and the panel. They are small and harder to detect from my seating position but it is there. I suppose this is what happens when you try to create an “infinity bezel”. Technicians are coming later next week to have a look.
  • One thing worth mentioning that I”m still very pleased with is off access viewing. Significantly better than the Z9D. Like absolute night and day.
  • Oh and another, is game mode. Sure there is some bloom but the response time at <10ms is so so so much better than my Z9D and I believe better than the current Sony’s out there. None of the Sony’s had HDMI 2.1 other than the entry level set they offer (not their flagship sets) and I was one of those guys that said 4K 120FPS is not that important and I’m fine with 30FPS. I’m wrong. After playing several titles at 120FPS, i get it now. It’s not a gimmick, my actual stats have improved in competitive games. This set also has VRR. Again, something I do not believe the Sony sets have.
  • Lastly as to the cost. It’s a lot of money. I get it. But its also relative. I did not pay the initial $10K MSRP but also not its current $7K. I also paid a similar $9000 a few years ago for that 75” Sony Z9D. What should we compare this cost to? I just redid a driveway and it cost me $35K. I also redid a front walkway and steps and that was also another $35k. Those are have to do expenses that don’t really add value to my house other than curb appeal and I get no enjoyment out of those things. We are renting a beach house for a week for a vacation and its not in some exotic locale and yet because of this pandemic and because everything is booking up, that will cost us $8k...and there were others in the area that were $12k-$15k. Sure, I’ll have memories of the vacation but again this isn’t like I’m going to some place like Bora Bora or something.
  • When I made the decision to purchase this, I looked at the available TV’s out there. First, I sit 14 feet away from the TV and so 85” was a must for me. I wanted as thin of a bezel as possible. I needed a TV set with at least one HDMI 2.1 port. At the time that basically left me with three options: The Q900TS, the LG 88” OLED, and the Q90T. Well the Q90T had fewer zones than the Q900TS and had thicker bezels. The LG 88” OLED looked great...except that was also $30K at the time (again did not want to get the 77” CX as I already have a 75” TV so did not seem like much of an upgrade other than hdmi 2.1 and input response time. So basically that just left me with this set. Will there be better sets out there in the future? Yes. I’m no diehard Samsung loyalist. While I can’t say I notice the lack of Dolby Vision, it still bothers me that this set doesn’t have it. Maybe this new LG OLED at 83” announced at CES will be in the sub <10k range. I think the new Sony sets this year will have hdmi 2.1. But I’ve made my bed and have to stick with this set for a few years (as long as they can fix this panel bezel separation issue -otherwise yes, I’m going to become a very vocal complainer on here as well as other sites very soon - I hope Samsung reads this).
Jason...

really thoughtful write up and reply. Let me add that through some more thorough testing one positive aspect I can add is that the extreme yellow over saturated tint I was experiencing is curiously an anomaly that primarily affects only the content selection screens in YouTube and perhaps Sling. I noticed that when I switched to the Roku stick, the color and brightness cast in these same selection screens was as balanced as any other content, which is to say nice but not great. Once again, Samsung is adding trickery where it’s not asked for or needed to try and wow the viewing audience, and in my opinion it just backfires.

What gave this away finally the most is that when I was in the YouTube content selection screen, my primary Home Screen in YouTube... the color adjustment slider within the TVs expert picture adjustment menu was completely disabled. In other words, I could go up or down on it just fine, but it had zero actual effect on the over saturated picture in that video selection screen within YouTube. Even at “0”... color saturation wouldn’t change. The color cast would only change somewhat when switching picture modes or altering other aspects. Very bizarre choices from Samsung as to where to over “pop” colors. And not only are these screens oddly saturated, they’re also really dark. But once you actually select a video to watch, it seems to apply your settings as normal. As a matter of fact, I finally watched some 8K content on YouTube last night and it was quite breathtaking.

Let me also add that my value comments were not a personal attack to anyone who has spent a hefty chunk for this TV, but more on Samsung for charging this much to begin with. In addition to this... I was apparently too dumb to realize until just a couple of days ago that the Sony Z9G was not simply a successor to the Z9F... but rather an 8K evolution of the classic Z9D you mentioned. A TV I sadly missed a generation on. In either case, from every single review I’ve watched of the Z9G... I can without question state that if any TV approaches it’s MSRP in terms of value, that one has to be it. And in the 85 inch size forgive me if I’m wrong but I believe the original MSRP was VERY close to the 950ts in the same size class. Backlight master drive, the exquisite case design, the remarkable color accuracy... I’ve made it my mission to track one of these down now (though for my personal value scale, I wouldn’t ever pay the 10k Sony is asking on their web site still). Some day maybe I’ll track down a used one or a demo.

So are there TVs worth these astronomical numbers? Maybe. Just like there are high end watch brands that are deserving of the amounts they ask for their product. But I don’t think the Samsung top models justify their cost in terms of the sum of their parts. I think Samsung has become somehow, a “hot” brand in so many circles... from smartphones, to home appliances... and people seem to overlook a lot of their serious flaws. I don’t really get it. Hopefully they correct your issue, but I also hope that fixing that issue doesn’t result in other problems later on. As it did on our 55 inch from a few years ago when they swapped the panel. I suspect the technician who performed the work had such a hard time fitting the new panel in the incredibly flimsy and thin case that he inadvertently caused damage to the ribbons around the edge of the TV... which in the course of a month about a year later all began to fail with vertical lines in several quadrants of the display. It’s basically junk now.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes, my understanding is for video purists, the Z9G is much better than the Z8H (2020’s flagship LED). In fact, when the 900TS came out, there were some retailers trying to unload the Z9G in the ~$6000-$7000 range. The Z9G apparently has HDMI 2.1 on one port which I did not realize. However, the two things that kill the Z9G for my purposes are:

1) It’s design is just too industrial/commercial looking. The bezels are thick. The depth is thick. Aesthetically, it just doesn’t work for me. The dang thing weighs 164lbs w/ the stand or close to the weight capacity of my TV stand. While the Sony Z9D was a bit of a porker from a depth perspective it sort of hid that well with the curved back and relatively smaller bezels. Although I don’t love that the Q900TS leans back a little (not sure if this is for tipping/safety purposes or a design choice), I do think while the TV is off, that its quite an attractive looking set (only hurt by the use of cheap plastics on the back).
2) Input lag is 26-30ms in game mode. I had that same issue with the Z9D. I suppose its fine for single player games but when you need precise timing, it just doesn’t work especially when compared to the Samsung at around 9-10ms and I think the LG OLEDs are even shorter at 6-7ms.

Honestly, if there was a Sony Z9D with the same look but with HDMI 2.1 and lower latency, I would have been sold.

But was my rationale for choosing the Q900TS but very specific to my use case. I also couldn’t justify the Q950TS for $3K more at the time I was in the market given that it was something like 0.2” thinner and I actually had to then place a one connect box somewhere in my TV stand. So even I have pricing limits.

I forgot to mention that my two other concerns w/ OLED at the time which is why I ultimately didn’t get a CX-77 was 1) burn in risk since I do play video games and I have children that often leave the TV on paused and 2) the brightness of my room during the day.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes, my understanding is for video purists, the Z9G is much better than the Z8H (2020’s flagship LED). In fact, when the 900TS came out, there were some retailers trying to unload the Z9G in the ~$6000-$7000 range. The Z9G apparently has HDMI 2.1 on one port which I did not realize. However, the two things that kill the Z9G for my purposes are:

1) It’s design is just too industrial/commercial looking. The bezels are thick. The depth is thick. Aesthetically, it just doesn’t work for me. The dang thing weighs 164lbs w/ the stand or close to the weight capacity of my TV stand. While the Sony Z9D was a bit of a porker from a depth perspective it sort of hid that well with the curved back and relatively smaller bezels. Although I don’t love that the Q900TS leans back a little (not sure if this is for tipping/safety purposes or a design choice), I do think while the TV is off, that its quite an attractive looking set (only hurt by the use of cheap plastics on the back).
2) Input lag is 26-30ms in game mode. I had that same issue with the Z9D. I suppose its fine for single player games but when you need precise timing, it just doesn’t work especially when compared to the Samsung at around 9-10ms and I think the LG OLEDs are even shorter at 6-7ms.

Honestly, if there was a Sony Z9D with the same look but with HDMI 2.1 and lower latency, I would have been sold.

But was my rationale for choosing the Q900TS but very specific to my use case. I also couldn’t justify the Q950TS for $3K more at the time I was in the market given that it was something like 0.2” thinner and I actually had to then place a one connect box somewhere in my TV stand. So even I have pricing limits.

I forgot to mention that my two other concerns w/ OLED at the time which is why I ultimately didn’t get a CX-77 was 1) burn in risk since I do play video games and I have children that often leave the TV on paused and 2) the brightness of my room during the day.
I happily recommend OLEDs to most other people, but even though I don’t play games, I watch too much static content stuff and like you, for various reasons our TVs can remain on for hours and hours at a time... or left on to make it look as though someone is home, for the dog etc. There’s just too many shortcomings to it still. If and when the smallest OLEDs drop below 6 or 700.00 they’d make great small or bedroom TVs but that’s about it.

461 - 472 of 472 Posts