AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1896 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Samsung Q90T is Samsung's top 4K QLED model for 2020. It is available in 55″, 65″ and 75″ screen sizes while delivering superb picture quality. This TV is great for use in the living room TV, bedroom, den… it thrives in bright as well as dark spaces. The Q90T excels at gaming, streaming, watching movies and more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I picked up a 55" Q90T from BB a couple days ago. I'm not nearly as qualified as some to give a complete review, but after a few more days of evaluation I'll attempt to elaborate. As an owner of a Q8FN (which this will replace), a Q9FN, a Q90R, A C7 & a C9, I have a lot to compare it to. So far, I am relatively impressed. I think this might be a keeper. It generally takes me several weeks to finally decide on a panel; the room this tv is installed in requires a 55", so I don't know how relevant my observations will be for those who go with 65"+. I prematurely evaluated a Q80R and a Q900R last year as acceptable and even desirable, but after several more weeks of use ended up returning them both. More to come.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Samsung Q90T is Samsung's top 4K QLED model for 2020. It is available in 55″, 65″ and 75″ screen sizes while delivering superb picture quality. This TV is great for use in the living room TV, bedroom, den… it thrives in bright as well as dark spaces. The Q90T excels at gaming, streaming, watching movies and more.

It is available in a 85” version as well, the QN85Q90T, is it not?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I picked up a 55" Q90T from BB a couple days ago. I'm not nearly as qualified as some to give a complete review, but after a few more days of evaluation I'll attempt to elaborate. As an owner of a Q8FN (which this will replace), a Q9FN, a Q90R, A C7 & a C9, I have a lot to compare it to. So far, I am relatively impressed. I think this might be a keeper. It generally takes me several weeks to finally decide on a panel; the room this tv is installed in requires a 55", so I don't know how relevant my observations will be for those who go with 65"+. I prematurely evaluated a Q80R and a Q900R last year as acceptable and even desirable, but after several more weeks of use ended up returning them both. More to come.
I'd love to hear your comparisons with the Q90R as the Q90T is allegedly as good in terms of picture quality.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Glad there is a thread for this TV finally. Looking for a 65 to replace my 55Q8FN and pair with PS5 when it launches. Right now I am between the CX and the Q90T.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd love to hear your comparisons with the Q90R as the Q90T is allegedly as good in terms of picture quality.
I'm still comparing them; unfortunately they are in completely different parts of the house. Also, the Q90R is a 65" whereas the Q90T is 55". Not that there should be much difference in PQ between the sizes.

I am truly amazed at how well the Q90T handles blooming with allegedly only 96 zones versus the 480 on the Q90R. Very little clouding with subtitles. Real content shows very little blooming or clouding. Black bars on 2.35 movies are close to equal in terms of light bleed, but I still give the edge to the Q90R in this respect. I can see ever so slight bleeding into the bars with a brightly lit area adjacent to it. I don't think anyone but the most discerning videophile would notice, however. With 4x3 content, the vertical bars are not as black as I would like; not as good as the Q90R but far better than my Q8FN.

Screen uniformity is better than the Q90R, but I realize this varies by the panel. The Q90T is also a light cannon, not that the Q90R is a dim tv; it is not. However, I run my Q90R backlight at 40; my Q90T is at 30.

Shadow detail is far better with the Q90T settings OOTB. Since black levels are more important to me than shadow detail, I actually reduced the "Shadow Detail" (formerly "Brightness" on the Q90R) setting to deepen the blacks.

One other noticeable difference from older QLED Sammys I own is how the built in apps present streaming content. I personally like the Roku Ultra over the internal apps, but because I think the upscaler in the TV is far better than the one in the Roku, I set the Roku to 1080P for HD content. Then I use the built in apps for 4K rather than switch the output on the Roku constantly. On all my Sammys before now the 1080 HD content looked pretty much the same regardless if I streamed thru the built in app or the Roku. With the Q90T, the 1080 streaming content is noticeably softer than the same from the Roku. The 4K HDR looks great, however. This is no issue for me as I'll just continue to use the Roku for 1080 sourced programming.

In summary my stance so far is that the Q90T is far better than the Q8FN, roughly equivalent to the Q90R, not quite as good as the Q9FN (which is still my all time favorite LCD based display). And from what I remember since I returned them, far better than the Q80R and the Q900R.

I hope this brief summary is helpful to someone.

·
Registered
601 Posts

I'm still comparing them; unfortunately they are in completely different parts of the house. Also, the Q90R is a 65" whereas the Q90T is 55". Not that there should be much difference in PQ between the sizes.

I am truly amazed at how well the Q90T handles blooming with allegedly only 96 zones versus the 480 on the Q90R. Very little clouding with subtitles. Real content shows very little blooming or clouding. Black bars on 2.35 movies are close to equal in terms of light bleed, but I still give the edge to the Q90R in this respect. I can see ever so slight bleeding into the bars with a brightly lit area adjacent to it. I don't think anyone but the most discerning videophile would notice, however. With 4x3 content, the vertical bars are not as black as I would like; not as good as the Q90R but far better than my Q8FN.

Screen uniformity is better than the Q90R, but I realize this varies by the panel. The Q90T is also a light cannon, not that the Q90R is a dim tv; it is not. However, I run my Q90R backlight at 40; my Q90T is at 30.

Shadow detail is far better with the Q90T settings OOTB. Since black levels are more important to me than shadow detail, I actually reduced the "Shadow Detail" (formerly "Brightness" on the Q90R) setting to deepen the blacks.

One other noticeable difference from older QLED Sammys I own is how the built in apps present streaming content. I personally like the Roku Ultra over the internal apps, but because I think the upscaler in the TV is far better than the one in the Roku, I set the Roku to 1080P for HD content. Then I use the built in apps for 4K rather than switch the output on the Roku constantly. On all my Sammys before now the 1080 HD content looked pretty much the same regardless if I streamed thru the built in app or the Roku. With the Q90T, the 1080 streaming content is noticeably softer than the same from the Roku. The 4K HDR looks great, however. This is no issue for me as I'll just continue to use the Roku for 1080 sourced programming.

In summary my stance so far is that the Q90T is far better than the Q8FN, roughly equivalent to the Q90R, not quite as good as the Q9FN (which is still my all time favorite LCD based display). And from what I remember since I returned them, far better than the Q80R and the Q900R.

I hope this brief summary is helpful to someone.
Wow, this makes things tougher to decide now. My 55Q8FN only has 40 zones so this should be a marked improvement.

Thanks for posting the info!

3 Posts
I just bought a 65" Q90T and am still evaluating it, but I can say I've got a stuck red pixel far right middle of the screen, and green streaking can be seen on a full white field. I must say I am disappointed in the streaking as I heard these new 2020 Samsungs have improved on their DSE.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just bought a 65" Q90T and am still evaluating it, but I can say I've got a stuck red pixel far right middle of the screen, and green streaking can be seen on a full white field. I must say I am disappointed in the streaking as I heard these new 2020 Samsungs have improved on their DSE.
Sorry to hear that,you can ask for a refund or replacement.

3 Posts
Sorry to hear that,you can ask for a refund or replacement.
I asked the retailer, and they said they would need to contact their distributor. Unfortunately I may be stuck with this one. I can tell it definitely is an interesting display though. I attached some HDR of Joker in the Movie preset. I haven't gotten to calibrate it yet, but I could tell by eye that it needed about -3 on Green Gain, and +3 on Blue Gain. Warm 2 color space, Local Dimming on default Standard for HDR for Dynamic Tone Mapping, but on High with SDR to turn off Dynamic Tone Mapping.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry to hear, I hope your refund/exchange goes through. Who is the retailer?

Also, could you post the following info:
1. Manufacter date
2. Panel model #
3. Current Firmware #

Thanks

3 Posts
Sorry to hear, I hope your refund/exchange goes through. Who is the retailer?

Also, could you post the following info:
1. Manufacter date
2. Panel model #
3. Current Firmware #

Thanks
20200422_180958_1587681503932.jpg

So it's mounted flush against the wall with no tilt so I can't find the manufacture date, but the firmware is up to date, as I checked for an update and there were none available. I have no idea where I would find the "panel model #" I attached pictures of a full feild gray pattern to show the extent of the uniformity problem. Waiting on Samsung to call me back. They want to send a technician, but I DO NOT allow anyone in my home during this COVID-19 Pandemic, as I have high risk people living here. I'm pushing for a return/exchange but it's not gotten off to a good start. Severely disappointed in the quality of this flagship model thus far.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
View attachment 2715286

So it's mounted flush against the wall with no tilt so I can't find the manufacture date, but the firmware is up to date, as I checked for an update and there were none available. I have no idea where I would find the "panel model #" I attached pictures of a full feild gray pattern to show the extent of the uniformity problem. Waiting on Samsung to call me back. They want to send a technician, but I DO NOT allow anyone in my home during this COVID-19 Pandemic, as I have high risk people living here. I'm pushing for a return/exchange but it's not gotten off to a good start. Severely disappointed in the quality of this flagship model thus far.
My mistake, I should have mentioned that the manufacture date and panel # are on the box.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just got home w/ mine, about to unbox and run some tests ( PC mainly ) also calibrations, gonna be comparing it to my older model ( 2018 )

·
Registered
188 Posts
hopefully everything will be just fine,and you have an exceptional set.
First thing that really stands out is the blacks, , so far no visible light bleed, but haven't started tests yet or turned off the lights, my rooms normally semi bright. I like however that I don't have to worry abotu putting the old stand on it ( after market one I bought for my older one to make sure it was flush w/ the desk )

Current setup in which this will be replacing.

·
Registered
919 Posts
First thing that really stands out is the blacks, , so far no visible light bleed, but haven't started tests yet or turned off the lights, my rooms normally semi bright. I like however that I don't have to worry abotu putting the old stand on it ( after market one I bought for my older one to make sure it was flush w/ the desk )

looks appealing,hope you enjoy it and comeback with a very positive report.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Excellent. Please let us know how good the black levels are with game mode on and off, and specifically the impact of Dynamic Black Equalizer on black levels.

The Q90R struggled somewhat in this regard, which lead to washed out blacks in dark scenes in some video games.

1 - 20 of 1896 Posts