AVS Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 2946 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’ll be real with you, get some bias lights and also do a hard reset with the remote.
Thanks for the answer.. but :
  • why should I need any bias lights to mitigate a bad local dimming effect when there is no problem in other modes? it's clearly a problem of the Game Mode, not my setup, right? (also, bias lights are extremely distracting to me and would ruin the immersion)
  • when you say "Hard Reset", do you mean factory reset or the thing when I disconnect everything from the tv and press the Power button on the remote for 30 seconds? Because I did a factory reset just before the 1402.7 (EU) firmware (and since the firmware is not available via the tv, a factory reset would bring me at 1304 as before, so there wouldn't be any difference from my current setup) and I did the second one after installing the firmware, to no avail.

Please, tell me if I'm understanding these things wrong. I'm far from knowledgeable about ts specs...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here are some photos (first one in Movie Mode, second one in Game Mode, all in SDR)
View attachment 3047269
View attachment 3047270
(sorry for the quality, I don't have the greatest phone...)

In HDR, the difference is less drastic, but still there.

The problem is noticeable enough that there are multiple threads on the Samsung EU Community site. But you may be lucky, some people seem to not have this problem...
Looks like the dimming zones are larger in game mode. Well, I'm coming from a 2016 KS8000, so I'd imagine it'll still look better than that. The viewing angle improvement itself should make for a nice upgrade. I'll be mostly gaming on this TV.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Q90T and Vizio OLED are the same price through tomorrow. Any thoughts?

$200 less for Q80T.

My nagging feeling about OLED is that as soon as you start using the TV it virtually begins to dim, if only imperceptibly. And I'm not crazy about burn in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like the dimming zones are larger in game mode. Well, I'm coming from a 2016 KS8000, so I'd imagine it'll still look better than that. The viewing angle improvement itself should make for a nice upgrade. I'll be mostly gaming on this TV.
You may be right, but still, the problem appeared after a previous firmware update... and wasn't solved after the last update...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here are some photos (first one in Movie Mode, second one in Game Mode, all in SDR)
View attachment 3047269
View attachment 3047270
(sorry for the quality, I don't have the greatest phone...)

In HDR, the difference is less drastic, but still there.

The problem is noticeable enough that there are multiple threads on the Samsung EU Community site. But you may be lucky, some people seem to not have this problem...
I've been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on x box one x and it's absolutely awesome. I'm on game mode and have 1304 software version. Photos taken with S10.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I feel like most of the EARC issues I've read are coming from soundbars. I have an AV 5.1 set up. The only issue that I had was when I plugged the 4k player directly into the tv and then earc tv to earc receiver is I would get a couple audio drop outs during the movie. To fix this I would just plug the 4k player to the receiver then earc to tv earc. Problem was fixed and never had issues! Surround always worked. Since the last update I haven't tried reverting back to the first set up to see if audio drop outs are fixed. Might do that this weekend.
With the 4k player plugged into the receiver, eARC is irrelevant. EARC is about passing audio through the TV. Regular ARC gives you the same results if you’re plugged into the receiver first.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Having an issue with the q90t... I have my PS4 connected to my tv via HDMI and from the tv to my Logitech 5.1 system I run optical. In games, my receiver registers as digital optical but I’m only getting sound out of 2 speakers. I didn’t have this issue with my prior TCL set.

P.S. I’m also connected to HDMI port 4 (the 2.1 port)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Since the ARC passthrough is bugged, and converts surround to stereo, is there another way to get the TV to output 5.1 through the ARC port to a reciever? Can we force DD, DTS? Does PCM work? Lossy is fine if that's what we can get right now, I just want 5.1 sound.
Having an issue with the q90t... I have my PS4 connected to my tv via HDMI and from the tv to my Logitech 5.1 system I run optical. In games, my receiver registers as digital optical but I’m only getting sound out of 2 speakers. I didn’t have this issue with my prior TCL set.

P.S. I’m also connected to HDMI port 4 (the 2.1 port)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was checking prices of QE65Q90T and QE65Q95T over the last 6 months. These are prices in Switzerland in CHF of online shops.
I noticed that the QE65Q90T dropped much more in price than the QE65Q95T.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@musicman0725 Hi, can you get your Denon to select multichannel pcm as a sound mode when receiving multichannel pcm via eArc on this tv? I can only select dSur, stereo and Multichannel stereo. Not sure if the issue is with the Denon or the Samsung?

I wanted Input- Multichannel PCM Output- Multichannel PCM.

The Denon app shows it is receiving multichannel pcm, same for Xbox when set as uncompressed 5.1 surround in the xbox settings. It is definitely a bug. It should let me set multichannel pcm as a sound mode. The input is 100% multichannel pcm as I swapped my receiver over to my old Onkyo and it shows input and output as multichannel pcm.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hi guys,

Just bought a Q950T and would like to know where I can get a Blu-Ray rip (.mkv or BDMV folder structure) with 9.1.4 test tones for setting up the volume. Also, is it possible to set a delay for the various speakers?
And which app do you guys use for iPhone for microphone testing?

·
Registered
662 Posts
@musicman0725 Hi, can you get your Denon to select multichannel pcm as a sound mode when receiving multichannel pcm via eArc on this tv? I can only select dSur, stereo and Multichannel stereo. Not sure if the issue is with the Denon or the Samsung?

I wanted Input- Multichannel PCM Output- Multichannel PCM.

The Denon app shows it is receiving multichannel pcm, same for Xbox when set as uncompressed 5.1 surround in the xbox settings. It is definitely a bug. It should let me set multichannel pcm as a sound mode. The input is 100% multichannel pcm as I swapped my receiver over to my old Onkyo and it shows input and output as multichannel pcm.
I see the same behavior you do. The app shows multichannel PCM input but I’m not given the correct output options. I think it’s a Denon bug with eARC / PCM. I like using the Dolby upmixer so it doesn’t bother me but hopefully they fix it with a firmware update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the answer.. but :
  • why should I need any bias lights to mitigate a bad local dimming effect when there is no problem in other modes? it's clearly a problem of the Game Mode, not my setup, right? (also, bias lights are extremely distracting to me and would ruin the immersion)
  • when you say "Hard Reset", do you mean factory reset or the thing when I disconnect everything from the tv and press the Power button on the remote for 30 seconds? Because I did a factory reset just before the 1402.7 (EU) firmware (and since the firmware is not available via the tv, a factory reset would bring me at 1304 as before, so there wouldn't be any difference from my current setup) and I did the second one after installing the firmware, to no avail.
Please, tell me if I'm understanding these things wrong. I'm far from knowledgeable about ts specs...
I have the same issue, but also before and after the update, and this is not an issue for 1 or 100 people, it is for every Q90T owner out there game mode will look worse for a reason, , game mode ON does not look like when its OFF. GAME MODE OFF is definitely better than ON because samsung does disables picture processing to achieve the lowest input lag, because when you play a game like cod and there is a dark corners and playere camping there this way you can see them clearly, this is for example, many games have dark highlights and with game mode ON you can see clearly. i don't think this is an issue, the game mode has to be like this because samsung wants it to be like this!!

So either way. Either buy an oled and get burn in/image retention and common dead pixels issues and a degraded panel overtime and with a bettter game mode period.

OR

Get a samsung QLED TV with not good game mode but with much better colours and insane brightness levels and this way you make sure to never get burn in because it is immune!!

In my case, i don't use game mode at all because all i play is campaign single player games, and today i tried ghost of tsushima with game mode on and off, off looks much richer and deeper and way better colours with very contrasty pictures and barely visible blooming. When i enabled the game mode, loading screen shows alot of blooming and with grey blacks, good colours but you can definitely tell a difference between them!!. But yes, they did improve it after the 1402.6 update so game mode on does not look that bad anymore. Except in the loading screens. Even vincent teoh said that game mode does look great on the Q95T compared to previous QLED models.. which means it was even much worse in 2019 and 2018 even the expensive flagships!

So far, i didn't find any issue after the latest update, i tried HGIG with game mode and it does look amazing. It does dim in some scenes and does raise the brightness in others because it is dynamic i believe. No issues with ghosting or anything. Very good update and well done to samsung for finally getting rid of the dimming issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the same issue, but also before and after the update, and this is not an issue for 1 or 100 people, it is for every Q90T owner out there game mode will look worse for a reason, , game mode ON does not look like when its OFF. GAME MODE OFF is definitely better than ON because samsung does disables picture processing to achieve the lowest input lag, because when you play a game like cod and there is a dark corners and playere camping there this way you can see them clearly, this is for example, many games have dark highlights and with game mode ON you can see clearly. i don't think this is an issue, the game mode has to be like this because samsung wants it to be like this!!

So either way. Either buy an oled and get burn in/image retention and common dead pixels issues and a degraded panel overtime and with a bettter game mode period.

OR

Get a samsung QLED TV with not good game mode but with much better colours and insane brightness levels and this way you make sure to never get burn in because it is immune!!

In my case, i don't use game mode at all because all i play is campaign single player games, and today i tried ghost of tsushima with game mode on and off, off looks much richer and deeper and way better colours with very contrasty pictures and barely visible blooming. When i enabled the game mode, loading screen shows alot of blooming and with grey blacks, good colours but you can definitely tell a difference between them!!. But yes, they did improve it after the 1402.6 update so game mode on does not look that bad anymore. Except in the loading screens. Even vincent teoh said that game mode does look great on the Q95T compared to previous QLED models.. which means it was even much worse in 2019 and 2018 even the expensive flagships!

So far, i didn't find any issue after the latest update, i tried HGIG with game mode and it does look amazing. It does dim in some scenes and does raise the brightness in others because it is dynamic i believe. No issues with ghosting or anything. Very good update and well done to samsung for finally getting rid of the dimming issues.
Look, I agree with you in theory, and I understand the need for lesser picture quality in Game Mode. I even acknowledge the incredible quality of HGIG after update 1402.
BUT, my problem is that I have not the option of turning Game Mode off. In any other mode, I have a purple ghosting problem.

So now I have to chose between :
  • Game Mode ON with bad local dimming and a weird scanline effect
  • Game Mode OFF with extremely noticeable purple ghosting in dark scenes
... when the dilemma should be only about the balance between input lag and picture quality.

Furthermore, all these problems appeared after update 1304, which means that they are resolvable with an update, but now I can't do anything else than wait for an update that may or may not solve these specific issues (and may or may not add others).

So while I agree with you in theory, in practice I have a TV that offers a suboptimal gaming experience when it "could" be absolutely amazing. Me expecting the tv to perform to the best of its specs is not unreasonable I think.

·
Vendor
27,562 Posts
There is always a choice, but not everyone has the issues with OLED you mentioned. LED's have there own downfall...... In the end I hope everyone is enjoying there choice ;) I myself like big so I would be buying the 85Q90T.

·
Registered
94 Posts
does the vrr or freesync technically support tear free gaming with the new rtx cards? I'm confused how that works. I went oled because it supports actual gsync but now wondering if I didn't have to..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there a reason why when we switch to game mode the screen can’t get as bright as when out of it?

In some games I can barely see much unless contrast enhancer is on which I hate to use

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is always a choice, but not everyone has the issues with OLED you mentioned. LED's have there own downfall...... In the end I hope everyone is enjoying there choice ;) I myself like big so I would be buying the 85Q90T.
There are people that got much worse issues than me, type on google and see all kind of issues, but my point was nothing is perfect in my previous comment!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see the same behavior you do. The app shows multichannel PCM input but I’m not given the correct output options. I think it’s a Denon bug with eARC / PCM. I like using the Dolby upmixer so it doesn’t bother me but hopefully they fix it with a firmware update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am having the same issue with a Sony receiver in that it will not pass through PCM sources so it is not just a Denon bug. Hopefully they will release a firmware to fix it before the new consoles come out.

2581 - 2600 of 2946 Posts