AVS Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 2798 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Look, I agree with you in theory, and I understand the need for lesser picture quality in Game Mode. I even acknowledge the incredible quality of HGIG after update 1402.
BUT, my problem is that I have not the option of turning Game Mode off. In any other mode, I have a purple ghosting problem.

So now I have to chose between :
  • Game Mode ON with bad local dimming and a weird scanline effect
  • Game Mode OFF with extremely noticeable purple ghosting in dark scenes
... when the dilemma should be only about the balance between input lag and picture quality.

Furthermore, all these problems appeared after update 1304, which means that they are resolvable with an update, but now I can't do anything else than wait for an update that may or may not solve these specific issues (and may or may not add others).

So while I agree with you in theory, in practice I have a TV that offers a suboptimal gaming experience when it "could" be absolutely amazing. Me expecting the tv to perform to the best of its specs is not unreasonable I think.
I have no issues on my tv, except that game mode being worse when ON than OFF! No issues here nothing, how can you be so unlucky man?? Can you shoot some pics or videos about the problem u have??

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am having the same issue with a Sony receiver in that it will not pass through PCM sources so it is not just a Denon bug. Hopefully they will release a firmware to fix it before the new consoles come out.
What does the Sony receiver show you? On the Denon app it shows multi channel pcm input, however the front panel of the receiver only shows what you have the output option set to. Normally the front panel output option reads Multi In + DSur when you have the Dolby upmixer engaged with multi channel PCM input, however, with eARC it just reads DSur (which normally is what 2 channel PCM input reads with the Dolby upmixer engaged for output). My receiver is the Denon X4500H which has supported eARC for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no issues on my tv, except that game mode being worse when ON than OFF! No issues here nothing, how can you be so unlucky man?? Can you shoot some pics or videos about the problem u have??
You can find my threads on the EU Samsung Community forum here :
Local Dimming in Game Mode : Re: Q95T/Q90T : Local Dimming not functional in Game Mode
Ghosting outside of Game Mode : Q90T/Q95T : Inverse Ghosting while playing a game in Movie Mode (for this one, the video I posted is one that result in ghosting when viewed on my PC, but no ghosting when viewed in the TV app... I have yet to film the effects on my phone)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same issue, but also before and after the update, and this is not an issue for 1 or 100 people, it is for every Q90T owner out there game mode will look worse for a reason, , game mode ON does not look like when its OFF. GAME MODE OFF is definitely better than ON because samsung does disables picture processing to achieve the lowest input lag, because when you play a game like cod and there is a dark corners and playere camping there this way you can see them clearly, this is for example, many games have dark highlights and with game mode ON you can see clearly. i don't think this is an issue, the game mode has to be like this because samsung wants it to be like this!!

So either way. Either buy an oled and get burn in/image retention and common dead pixels issues and a degraded panel overtime and with a bettter game mode period.

OR

Get a samsung QLED TV with not good game mode but with much better colours and insane brightness levels and this way you make sure to never get burn in because it is immune!!

In my case, i don't use game mode at all because all i play is campaign single player games, and today i tried ghost of tsushima with game mode on and off, off looks much richer and deeper and way better colours with very contrasty pictures and barely visible blooming. When i enabled the game mode, loading screen shows alot of blooming and with grey blacks, good colours but you can definitely tell a difference between them!!. But yes, they did improve it after the 1402.6 update so game mode on does not look that bad anymore. Except in the loading screens. Even vincent teoh said that game mode does look great on the Q95T compared to previous QLED models.. which means it was even much worse in 2019 and 2018 even the expensive flagships!

So far, i didn't find any issue after the latest update, i tried HGIG with game mode and it does look amazing. It does dim in some scenes and does raise the brightness in others because it is dynamic i believe. No issues with ghosting or anything. Very good update and well done to samsung for finally getting rid of the dimming issues.
For me game mode on it's better than off. Playing games on hdr, I may get a little more vivid colours, but I also see some washed whites, like a bit of a fog in the background. I tried it on every picture setting, and on the movie or filmmaker it's better. I noticed that having the picture on standard, dynamic or natural I get some micro stuttering, especially on standard playing games or watching other contents. Though maybe there it's something that I tweaked a little too much.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Having an issue with the q90t... I have my PS4 connected to my tv via HDMI and from the tv to my Logitech 5.1 system I run optical. In games, my receiver registers as digital optical but I’m only getting sound out of 2 speakers. I didn’t have this issue with my prior TCL set.

P.S. I’m also connected to HDMI port 4 (the 2.1 port)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Im new here. Recently got the 65" Q90t. Overall stuff looks good on it, but I'm experiencing some sort of vertical and horizontal banding across the screen, it looks like a grid of the dimming zones, this is visible in brighter colourfull games when panning the camera, some examples are snowy scenes in rdr 2, basically every level in mario odyssey, lonely mountain downhill etc. Is this just a fact of for this tv model or should I get it replaced?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a q90t this past weekend and this will be the first TV I ever mount but just had a couple quick questions.

Around the back frame of the TV, I notice there is a gap about the width of a butter knife between the outside edge, and the back panel. Is that gap normal or should those be closer together or connecting?

Also, when going to mount with 16mm M8 bolts, I noticed the lower left (while looking at the back) mounting hole is deeper than the rest. The 16mm screws can just barely get to the thread. With the bracket I bought, I can only get about 2 full screw turns in the other holes. In this case should I just use longer bolts such as 20mm and use washers to fill any potential space? Also, is that 1 hole being deeper than the rest anything to worry about from a structure standpoint?

Sorry for the novel. This is my first upgrade in 8 years and haven't had a TV this nice before. Just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi! Im new here. Recently got the 65" Q90t. Overall stuff looks good on it, but I'm experiencing some sort of vertical and horizontal banding across the screen, it looks like a grid of the dimming zones, this is visible in brighter colourfull games when panning the camera, some examples are snowy scenes in rdr 2, basically every level in mario odyssey, lonely mountain downhill etc. Is this just a fact of for this tv model or should I get it replaced?
I have the same model as you (software version 1304) and I posted yesterday some pictures on how RDR2 looks on mine, maybe can help you to compare. On game mode looks amazing, also good on hdr with some very minor micro stuttering. With some expert advices maybe some other user can help you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased a q90t this past weekend and this will be the first TV I ever mount but just had a couple quick questions.

Around the back frame of the TV, I notice there is a gap about the width of a butter knife between the outside edge, and the back panel. Is that gap normal or should those be closer together or connecting?

Also, when going to mount with 16mm M8 bolts, I noticed the lower left (while looking at the back) mounting hole is deeper than the rest. The 16mm screws can just barely get to the thread. With the bracket I bought, I can only get about 2 full screw turns in the other holes. In this case should I just use longer bolts such as 20mm and use washers to fill any potential space? Also, is that 1 hole being deeper than the rest anything to worry about from a structure standpoint?

Sorry for the novel. This is my first upgrade in 8 years and haven't had a TV this nice before. Just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks!
I also have the same very small gap exactly how you described it so I guess it's normal. I didn't mount mine so can not give you proper advice, but taking more precautions can never be wrong. I noticed that the back frame in the corners is a little loose, do you have the same thing? Or is firm like in the center?

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is pretty normal for the Q90T/Q95T, unfortunately. Many, if not all units exhibit this problem. I exchanged my first 65” Q95T because of it. The replacement TV also has this issue, but it doesn’t seem to be quite as severe as the first one.

I don’t think there are panels out there without the issue, so seeking an exchange is probably a waste of time. You’d have to go for a refund and buy a different TV entirely (LG CX or Sony X95 would be your best bet).

And by the way, posting images of the problem (like above) is not the best way to convey it. Typically its only visible when the camera is panning on solid background colours (skyboxes, water etc).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same issue. Vertical and horizontal banding that is hard to unsee. I am actually going to return my Q90t and just wait a year. OLED burn-in bothers me and the Sony X900H is underwhelming. It’s too bad because I love everything else about the tv outside of this checker board pattern that is just brutal. I can handle some dirty screen effect, but this is a different beast entirely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same issue. Vertical and horizontal banding that is hard to unsee. I am actually going to return my Q90t and just wait a year. OLED burn-in bothers me and the Sony X900H is underwhelming. It’s too bad because I love everything else about the tv outside of this checker board pattern that is just brutal. I can handle some dirty screen effect, but this is a different beast entirely.
Think i might do the same :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have the same very small gap exactly how you described it so I guess it's normal. I didn't mount mine so can not give you proper advice, but taking more precautions can never be wrong. I noticed that the back frame in the corners is a little loose, do you have the same thing? Or is firm like in the center?
Thanks for the reply!

Im noticing mine is a little loose as well at the bottom corner. Loose in the sense that I can put some pressure to see it flex, compared to the dead center which doesn't budge. But without applying any pressure it appears solid.

However I notice the back panel is probably at its most loose at the top middle. I can wiggle that around a little bit but it wiggles less and less as I get to the corners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What does the Sony receiver show you? On the Denon app it shows multi channel pcm input, however the front panel of the receiver only shows what you have the output option set to. Normally the front panel output option reads Multi In + DSur when you have the Dolby upmixer engaged with multi channel PCM input, however, with eARC it just reads DSur (which normally is what 2 channel PCM input reads with the Dolby upmixer engaged for output). My receiver is the Denon X4500H which has supported eARC for awhile.

If I hook up the PS4 through my receiver I get 7.1 LPCM. If I connect it directly to the tv and set the sound to pass through I can only get 2.0 channel LPCM. I have eARC turned on on the tv and receiver but it is behaving like regular ARC. If I switch to an app on the tv like Netflix I can get the Dolby Atmos signal passed through to the receiver.

·
Vendor
27,502 Posts
Q90T and Vizio OLED are the same price through tomorrow. Any thoughts?

$200 less for Q80T.

My nagging feeling about OLED is that as soon as you start using the TV it virtually begins to dim, if only imperceptibly. And I'm not crazy about burn in.
The Sony A8H, was the same price earlier in the week. They are all great sets, you have to choose :) I personally like OLED best for 55 or 65. In the bigger sizes Q90T.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I hook up the PS4 through my receiver I get 7.1 LPCM. If I connect it directly to the tv and set the sound to pass through I can only get 2.0 channel LPCM. I have eARC turned on on the tv and receiver but it is behaving like regular ARC. If I switch to an app on the tv like Netflix I can get the Dolby Atmos signal passed through to the receiver.
Same here. Cannot pass any PCM through the TV at all. We hook everything up to the receiver and just send passthrough the video to the TV though it, but then we can't use the HDMI 2.1 port on the TV since that isn't the ARC port. We're screwed out of something no matter what. I don't know how issues like this are allowed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi all,

I have an old Samsung soundbar linked to my TV. It has surround but no Dolby Atmos, and no eArc (only TV-ARC)

Should I link it to the TV with HDMI or Optical? HDMI doesn't give me surround, can I get it with optical (I ask since I can't test it yet, I'd have to buy a cable)?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah I haven’t tried passthrough. The issue with Denon/PCM I’m seeing on the internal apps. It accurately says in the Denon app that it is multi-channel PCM but the audio output options aren’t the same as when receiving multi channel pcm input.

If I change the mode on my Denon to anything under the yellow Pure button (ie Auto, Direct, Pure Direct) I get multi channel output. So the Denon knows it is getting multi channel PCM over eARC, the options under the movie mode just don’t have the options I think they should have.

My PS4 is connected directly to my Denon and I’m still able to use auto-game mode. Not all receivers support passthrough for auto-game mode. If I had the issues you were having I would probably either connect to the receiver directly or I would set the audio output mode on the PS4 to bitstream and send Dolby Digital through ARC/eARC. Not ideal but at least that way you get get surround sound if you aren’t able to get PCM passthrough working (which I think is different from the issue I’m seeing with my Denon when receiving multi channel PCM via internal apps).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I haven’t tried passthrough. The issue with Denon/PCM I’m seeing on the internal apps. It accurately says in the Denon app that it is multi-channel PCM but the audio output options aren’t the same as when receiving multi channel pcm input.

If I change the mode on my Denon to anything under the yellow Pure button (ie Auto, Direct, Pure Direct) I get multi channel output. So the Denon knows it is getting multi channel PCM over eARC, the options under the movie mode just don’t have the options I think they should have.

My PS4 is connected directly to my Denon and I’m still able to use auto-game mode. Not all receivers support passthrough for auto-game mode. If I had the issues you were having I would probably either connect to the receiver directly or I would set the audio output mode on the PS4 to bitstream and send Dolby Digital through ARC/eARC. Not ideal but at least that way you get get surround sound if you aren’t able to get PCM passthrough working (which I think is different from the issue I’m seeing with my Denon when receiving multi channel PCM via internal apps).

Yeah, I was more testing for when I get a PS5 as my receiver isn’t HDMI 2.1 but has eARC. I want to take advantage of the higher standard on the new systems while keeping 7.1 sound.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi all,

I have an old Samsung soundbar linked to my TV. It has surround but no Dolby Atmos, and no eArc (only TV-ARC)

Should I link it to the TV with HDMI or Optical? HDMI doesn't give me surround, can I get it with optical (I ask since I can't test it yet, I'd have to buy a cable)?
Shouldn’t matter which you pick as regular HDMI ARC is capable of 5.1 compressed surround just like optical. In fact regular ARC is also capable of DD+ Atmos, optical is not. I think HDMI would be cleaner and also, if you need to buy a cable anyways, make it easier to upgrade if you eventually get a new sound bar.

2601 - 2620 of 2798 Posts