AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 3949 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Back in the Days of the Pioneer KURO it was all about Black levels. Once you achieve black levels beyond Human eye and measurable on most Calibration meters owned by the general public, I think Black levels is not the major consideration in video today. There are so many things in Video that needs to be improved besides Black level.
I understand your point for normal scenes with daylight brightness in a lighted room, the high brightness levels of today's TVs results in mediocre black levels looking OK. This is why LG sells to many IPS panel TVs for family room viewing. But, for dark scenes in a dark home theater room, deep black levels still rule. You will notice the grayish blacks and clouding of IPS panels and some wide viewing angle VA panels very easily in dark scenes. I'm 72 having had cataract surgery on both eyes, but am instantly aware of poor black levels in that type of content. Plus, as easily noticed with OLEDs, their "infinite black levels" make HDR highlights pop even at the reduced peak brightness of OLED panels. So the effect you mention applies in the opposite manner also. Going back to plasmas (I still own two of them), their relatively low brightness made deep blacks essential for their much heralded PQ. But none of this is an issue for the Q90T, which features both high brightness and very high contrast ratio with local dimming. It's too bad that DSE can screw the pooch though with any LCD.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh I see

I have a 65 inch from the UK so that would be HDR 2000?
Yep, that’s right.

The model numbers in the UK don’t always correlate with the US versions. For instance the Q85T in the UK is the equivalent of the Q80T in the US (which is HDR 12X / 1500). In the UK the 55” Q90T is listed like the 65” as HDR 2000, however the US 55” Q90T is listed as HDR 12X while the 65” is listed as HDR 16X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
27,943 Posts
Anyone notice horrible dse when looking at your screen from the side? Here's a picture to show you what I'm talking about. I don't notice this looking at the tv head on though.
Its a great thing most people are not at that extreme of an angle. Most TV's start having issues on off angle viewing, the more extreme the off angle viewing is, the worse the picture issues are.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its a great thing most people are not at that extreme of an angle. Most TV's start having issues on off angle viewing, the more extreme the off angle viewing is, the worse the picture issues are.
The dse also shows up and is noticable on a 45 degree angle as well but not as profound. I wanted to know if this was normal with this set or something I should address.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Interesting. I got the 55" Q90T in Canada and it is listed on the box as HDR 16x as well as the Samsung Canada website lists it as 16x. The Q80T is 12x.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Interesting. I got the 55" Q90T in Canada and it is listed on the box as HDR 16x as well as the Samsung Canada website lists it as 16x. The Q80T is 12x.
I would trust the box. Samsung may just have specs listed incorrectly on the US website for the 55” Q90T.

EDIT: Canadian website shows 16X for the 55” so likely just incorrect spec listed on US website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hey everyone I still have my RS8000 and was thinking of upgrading to a 75 or 85 inch Q90T. I have a Panasonic 820 uhh player and will be getting an Xbox series X. I got a pretty good 8000 panel, some things I didn’t like about it is the connection box and the fact the HDR never detected properly on any firmware.

Even my $279 LG7000 detects hdr correctly and sets the levels. The picture has always been good.

I currently have my 8000 on a stand that’s 49 inches wide, given the base on the Q90T is narrow would either the 75 or 85 in fit ok ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If true this isn’t good.
I've been using it with my rtx3090, and had nothing but flickering problems, even when set to 60hz on port 4(hdmi 2.1). Tried 4 cables, with a 5th on the way. Input signal plus needs to be reset all the time.
But the article specifically says you'd get a black screen, not flickers.
Would partly explain the amount of people with eARC issues here tho.

To make it worse, it's a hardware issue, not fixable via firmware.

I've wanted my money back on this tv for a few weeks now, sadly I bought it in August and am out of return period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone tried g-sync on the Q90T?
I got it to work on a an Nvidia 2070 Super (tested with the nvidia pendulum demo and I can see the refresh rate of the screen changing in real time in the source info on the TV and it says Freesync VRR).
However, while actually playing games with it on, there is very noticeable smearing / ghosting. When I turn off G-Sync this issue goes away.
Anyone else with a similar experience?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone tried g-sync on the Q90T?
I got it to work on a an Nvidia 2070 Super (tested with the nvidia pendulum demo and I can see the refresh rate of the screen changing in real time in the source info on the TV and it says Freesync VRR).
However, while actually playing games with it on, there is very noticeable smearing / ghosting. When I turn off G-Sync this issue goes away.
Anyone else with a similar experience?
On both my 3090(1440p/120 and 4k/60 & 120) and previous 2080ti(4k/60 and 1440p/120) VRR has an overall darker image with minimal shadow detail & crushed blacks. But no smearing/ghosting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On both my 3090(1440p/120 and 4k/60 & 120) and previous 2080ti(4k/60 and 1440p/120) VRR has an overall darker image with minimal shadow detail & crushed blacks. But no smearing/ghosting.
Is this on a Q90T, and which firmware version please ? Cheers.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is this on a Q90T, and which firmware version please ? Cheers.
Yes, Q90T using game mode under HDMI Port 4/2.1
Firmware 3090 w/ 1402.1(United States model) and whatever the previous version was while on my 2080ti.

I had already sold my 2080ti when 1402.1 & 1402.6 came out, but I'd imagine, based on 1402.6 being dark/lack of shadow detail, it wouldn't have been any different with the 2080ti. But again, in no cases did I have ghosting/smearing with VRR on.

I avoid using VRR because the picture quality is awful given the lack of shadow detail and crushing blacks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same here in all VRR modes on all resolutions with both my 5700XT PC and Xbox One X. It's not just darker though, the colors are just ''off'' in general. Crushed blacks, true - but for instance when playing rocket league the normally 'Orange' team is more like 'Reddish' team now. I can't use VRR or Freesync at all on the Q90T in its current state. Tried all firmware versions and it was the same thing on my first Q90T Panel (on my second now). No difference between them or the firmware versions.

I've already made posts about this on the Samsung support forums, discussed it on Rtings.com (but unfortunately they don't actually test image quality in game mode or with VRR or any game-related features enabled) and to no avail. Most people don't see the difference and Samsung just shrugs and either doesn't respond or acts like they don't know what's up. However, there's not a single Q90T that doesn't have this issue as far as I've seen.

This, plus that both my panels had blue/purple borders and pretty extreme grid-shaped DSE makes that I've decided this is a ''1 year tops'' TV -> I will be sidegrading or upgrading first chance I get. Shame because outside of the panel uniformity issues and the weird behaviors surrounding VRR/Freesync this TV can be absolutely dropdead gorgeous.

2761 - 2780 of 3949 Posts