AVS Forum banner

2781 - 2800 of 4028 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same here in all VRR modes on all resolutions with both my 5700XT PC and Xbox One X. It's not just darker though, the colors are just ''off'' in general. Crushed blacks, true - but for instance when playing rocket league the normally 'Orange' team is more like 'Reddish' team now.
Ya, I guess maybe by overall darker image, I could change that to just the colors being off in order to agree with you. I'd also try and say, and this doesn't make sense, VRR brings out, or makes the image sit "behind" the local dimming "layer" making the DSE more pronounced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've already made posts about this on the Samsung support forums, discussed it on Rtings.com (but unfortunately they don't actually test image quality in game mode or with VRR or any game-related features enabled) and to no avail. Most people don't see the difference and Samsung just shrugs and either doesn't respond or acts like they don't know what's up. However, there's not a single Q90T that doesn't have this issue as far as I've seen.

This, plus that both my panels had blue/purple borders and pretty extreme grid-shaped DSE makes that I've decided this is a ''1 year tops'' TV -> I will be sidegrading or upgrading first chance I get. Shame because outside of the panel uniformity issues and the weird behaviors surrounding VRR/Freesync this TV can be absolutely dropdead gorgeous.
I contacted Samsung on Twitter about a month ago regarding my flickering and having to physically reconnect the hdmi cable(or, I've since learned, just cycle Input Signal Plus off and on to get picture to display). They told me they were aware of issues with the Nvidia 30x0 cards, but to contact Nvidia, and in the mean time, set my TV to 60hz, which changes nothing, and uhhh, I paid for a 120hz tv, not a 60hz. I was PISSED with this response.

I also contacted rtings to ask if they were planning to test 30x0 cards again with the q70,80,90 displays and confirm my issues in game mode. They said they were waiting to get thier hands on a 30x0 card for hdmi 2.1 testing.

In the time since contacting Samsung, 1402.1/6 firmware came out, which DID fix the local dimming bug. So that's cool. But that wasn't a huge deal to me.

I'm at the point where I just want my money back, unfortunately I bought this TV in August before the 30x0 cards came out, and am therefore out of return period on the TV. I already sold my previous display.

With the news that hit this weekend about the Panasonic supplied HDMI 2.1 chips, and Samsung MAYBE using it on the 2.1 Input, I'm worried this tv is now essentially a paperweight and complete waste of money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same here in all VRR modes on all resolutions with both my 5700XT PC and Xbox One X. It's not just darker though, the colors are just ''off'' in general. Crushed blacks, true - but for instance when playing rocket league the normally 'Orange' team is more like 'Reddish' team now. I can't use VRR or Freesync at all on the Q90T in its current state. Tried all firmware versions and it was the same thing on my first Q90T Panel (on my second now). No difference between them or the firmware versions.

I've already made posts about this on the Samsung support forums, discussed it on Rtings.com (but unfortunately they don't actually test image quality in game mode or with VRR or any game-related features enabled) and to no avail. Most people don't see the difference and Samsung just shrugs and either doesn't respond or acts like they don't know what's up. However, there's not a single Q90T that doesn't have this issue as far as I've seen.

This, plus that both my panels had blue/purple borders and pretty extreme grid-shaped DSE makes that I've decided this is a ''1 year tops'' TV -> I will be sidegrading or upgrading first chance I get. Shame because outside of the panel uniformity issues and the weird behaviors surrounding VRR/Freesync this TV can be absolutely dropdead gorgeous.
Just a heads up I'm hearing that they're going to be throwing out a firmware update in the beginning of November now whether or not it addresses the freesync and VRR issues remain to be seen

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just a heads up I'm hearing that they're going to be throwing out a firmware update in the beginning of November now whether or not it addresses the freesync and VRR issues remain to be seen
Just by curiosity : where did you get this info?

And did they tell if any specific issues are going to be solved (they generally speak about firmware updates in response to a customer with a specific issue, that's why I'm asking)?

For example, the Samsung Tech I'm "harassing" every week has been telling me that a new firmware should be imminent (but no specific date, of course) in response to my purple ghosting/smearing problem, since he believes it is HDMI related and that the new firmware should solve issues coming from bad HDMI connectivity (like flickering for example). I'm not personally convinced a new firmware will solve my issue and make my wonderful tv usable with games (my main use of it), but one can only hope...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just by curiosity : where did you get this info?

And did they tell if any specific issues are going to be solved (they generally speak about firmware updates in response to a customer with a specific issue, that's why I'm asking)?

For example, the Samsung Tech I'm "harassing" every week has been telling me that a new firmware should be imminent (but no specific date, of course) in response to my purple ghosting/smearing problem, since he believes it is HDMI related and that the new firmware should solve issues coming from bad HDMI connectivity (like flickering for example). I'm not personally convinced a new firmware will solve my issue and make my wonderful tv usable with games (my main use of it), but one can only hope...
It was mentioned on this thread

·
Vendor
27,986 Posts
The dse also shows up and is noticable on a 45 degree angle as well but not as profound. I wanted to know if this was normal with this set or something I should address.
Yes unfortunately DSE is a trait of LED's to a degree. Off angle viewing makes most issues look worse. Its like cars producing toxins per say. Its not very cool, but it is what it is. Their are screen uniformity issues on ever TV made today. Sure their are some near perfect TV's but to be honest they are rare. Its up to you if you want to address it, the next unit you get could be worse and that is why many leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
While playing a first person shooter that is not very demanding, at 120Hz and 120fps, it's been pretty flawless, both motion and colors (no black crush or ghosting / smearing etc).
But that's without gsync enabled.
It's only with Gsync VRR that it seems to have a problem. Curious to see how VRR would perform when using an AMD video card (or the new xbox)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Starting to get the feeling that if most could go back 1 day before they bought they would have got something else
Don't worry too much, people who come to forums like this one are the ones who got issues with their tv (like me for example), not the ones who don't have any problems, Also what some will call issue and come to a tv/video forum will mostly be more or less purists in that subject, and will object to smaller issues than most users will in general.

So don't think that this forum represents the majority of the Q90T/Q95T users, quite the contrary. But I will say I am still surprised at the number of different issues with these tvs. If it was a general issue which was the same for all, I would get it, but here it looks like the quality control and the firmware testing is so poor that quite a number of different issues happen, which in turn makes it even more difficult to solve them with firmware update, as they could break something which is perfectly working in other panels while trying to fix something for some panels. It's a bit of a mess, and coming from a brand like Samsung, and their 2020 flagship tvs, it's a big disappointment.

As I said to another user : nobody wants the tv to perform beyond its specs, we just want the tv we bought to perform all the time as best as it can, which seems to be the case for most people, but when you're getting the short straw, it can be frustrating...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry for the ignorance but is freesync different than VRR? If they are different I would be curious to know if freesync has the same problems with color and crushing blacks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So it seems like with the news that came out this weekend indicating bugs with HDMI 2.1 controller chips made by Panasonic and used in a number of AVR's, Samsung may have also used the Panasonic chip for the hdmi 2.1 port.

Panasonic HDMI 2.1 boo-boo - dark times for Xbox Series X & nVidia users - Thurrott.com
I shared this link on Samsung's own community (Re: 2020 75" Q90T HDMI 2.1 with NVIDIA RTX 3080/3090 Flicker & Disconnects) yesterday. Samsung just censored me and removed the post.

"Hello, this message is to inform you that a post of yours has been removed for breaking the Community Guidelines. The Get Help section of Community is a Troubleshooting and Device-specific section for users to come together and talk about any issues they are experiencing. Outside links that do not contain troubleshooting steps are strictly prohibited. We appreciate you being a part of our Community! "

"Outside links that do not contain troubleshooting steps are strictly prohibited." There are no troubleshooting steps in the link because it's not fixable Samsung...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm seeing a ton of clouding and blooming on my 55 inch Q95T which is the equivalent to the Q90T on the black bars of movies, my backlight is at 15, contrast enhancer is off, local dimming is on standard because on high it blooms way more. Could Samsung release a firmware to fix blooming and light bleed on black bars of movies ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Odd, I have the 55" Q90T and I'm in Canada. No blooming at all in black bars and I have my backlight at 35, and max for HDR and still notice no blooming. At least no distracting blooming. Blacks are way deeper then the 80T. Local dimming is on high, contrast enhancer low for hdr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my q90t today, got it all set up. Things seem good!

Though i was wondering about available apps. Literally on the box there is a Disney+ logo, but i cant find it in the samsung apps as an option. Do i need to do an update or does the TV really not come with Disney+?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any tips for mounting a 55 inch? Mine gets delivered in a couple days and this will be my first tv I will mount. Are there specific screws I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just got my q90t today, got it all set up. Things seem good!

Though i was wondering about available apps. Literally on the box there is a Disney+ logo, but i cant find it in the samsung apps as an option. Do i need to do an update or does the TV really not come with Disney+?
It's there. I have it. Strange you can't find it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You have to go into the Samsung app store and download it. It is not preinstalled like Netflix and Amazon and wont just appear on the home menu.

2781 - 2800 of 4028 Posts