AVS Forum banner

3961 - 3980 of 7014 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've reached out to Samsung a number of times regarding issues with this TV.
The more I experiment and try to get a decent image, the more this TV reveals how HORRID the firmware is.
Honestly, Samsung should be ashamed of themselves for releasing such a buggy mess.
Regardless, I am willing to work with Samsung to see this issues resolved. Else I will be chasing a refund, hopefully without needing to contact the ACCC.

The primary issue I have (since I bought the TV for this feature) is with VRR boosting black levels and seemingly ruining the gamma curve.
While also causing light posterization in certain scenes, particularly low light scenes.
VRR also has handshake issues sometimes, resulting in broken images displayed (like some previous posts here show).
Related, Game Mode damn near disables Local Dimming, breaking the proper brightness/darkness and depth that HDR content usually shows.
There's literally NO reason for this. If it is for 'lower latency' then make these things a damn toggle option in the settings somewhere.
I'm sure a lot of us would rather a proper looking image at the cost of a few measly milliseconds latency!

Second issue is, why does only PC mode display a proper RGB444 signal? While any other mode shows chroma subsampling regardless of what signal the TV is receiving.
PC mode FORCES contrast enhancer on while in game mode for some obnoxious reason.
PC mode also LOCKS color space settings and visibly reduces the amount of Local Dimming zones being calculated.
Again, all this breaks the proper brightness/darkness and depth that HDR content usually shows.
WHY?.

Third issue, local dimming when set to Standard or High will suddenly drop in brightness after a few minutes in most display modes.
Once again, this breaks the proper brightness/darkness and depth that HDR content usually shows.

Fourth issue, DSE and purple fringing around the outside of the TV panel.
Fifth issue, purple inverse ghosting (lessoned in the latest firmware, but still apparent when you know it exists).

What kind of botched firmware (and TV) is this?!
We all need to kick up more of a stink over this if you ask me.

For the record, I own an Australian Q95T with 1403.1 firmware currently.
If I'm not mistaken, quite a few Samsung TV models in 2020 share this same panel and firmware, and therefore would presumably share these issues.
More information and transparency is needed from Samsung.
Good post. I also have black crush with VRR enabled but I have managed to get my game mode looking pretty dang good on pc with VRR disabled.
Just waiting for them to fix this mess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It would likely add a lot of latency not just a few milliseconds, or else they probably would have already delivered on it. If GMP adds around 13ms just think what full array local dimming would add.
It shouldn't.
GMP uses frame interpolation (amongst other things) to simulate a higher fps, resulting in a smoother image at the cost of latency and some visual artifacts.
Frame interpolation NEEDS multiple frames first, to then calculate "in-between" frames to add in.
In other words, GMP cannot work without a latency hit.
However, FALD absolutely can, and should, work with little to no latency hit.
Why can Sony manage it fine, often with more local dimming zones, but Samsung cannot...?

Good post. I also have black crush with VRR enabled but I have managed to get my game mode looking pretty dang good on pc with VRR disabled.
Just waiting for them to fix this mess.
Agreed, Game Mode looks decent enough with VRR disabled.
I still don't see why it uses the FALD less effectively though, when competitors manage Game Mode without the FALD sacrifice.

I don't have any consoles, only PC.
Yes, 120hz outside of game mode feels fine enough and looks brilliant.... but then we (I?) get the local dimming... dimming... after a few minutes.
Bug, after bug, after bug.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

Here are my findings with my vast number of replacements and I really don't know how Samsung is going to fix all these different variations of issues between different panels.

Some of you may know I had my Q90T exchanged 5 times and I received my 6th set last week because Samsung actually offered to send me a set directly rather than through the retailer. I stupidly accepted, I should have kept the Sony XH95 as that had to go back to the retailer if I accepted. I feel conned.

Anyway, here are the issues in each set.

Set 1
Ghosting: With game motion plus on, no ghosting with it off.
Scan lines: No
DSE: Very bad
Reason for exchange: DSE
Notes: I only tried 60hz mode as I didn't have a PS5

Set 2
Ghosting: No
Scan lines: Yes
DSE: Good
Reason for exchange: Had backlight bleed coming in from top left, looked bad on a dark picture

Set 3
DSE: Very bad, like the first set

Set 4
DSE: Worst DSE I've seen so far

Set 5 (i had a PS5 at this point)
Ghosting: 60hz: no, 120hz no, GMP: no
Scan lines: 60hz: yes, 120hz no
DSE: Again, very bad and noticeable

Set 6 (the one samsung sent me)
Ghosting: 60hz no, 120hz yes, GMP: yes (60hz)
Scan lines: no
DSE: Mild

I still have set 6 and going to send it back as I suffer from green ghosting in only 120hz games or when GMP is turned on. I do not see any scan lines in any mode. So there are 2 variations of issues that i've suffered:-

One
Scan lines present in 60hz mode only
No ghosting in any mode

Two
Scan lines not present in any mode (60hz, 120hz)
Ghosting in 120hz mode or with GMP turned on in 60hz.

My take from this is why all the different variations of issues between panels and how on earth is Samsung going to fix this mess? I feel they're going to fix one side of the issues and not the other OR they will fix something and break something else. It seems an absolute mess to have a situation like this. This clearly shows that different components / panels are being used across the board in the EU.

If i was to choose between one and two above I'd prefer to have one however none of this should be happening on a "flagship" 4K TV.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi all,

Here are my findings with my vast number of replacements and I really don't know how Samsung is going to fix all these different variations of issues between different panels.

Some of you may know I had my Q90T exchanged 5 times and I received my 6th set last week because Samsung actually offered to send me a set directly rather than through the retailer. I stupidly accepted, I should have kept the Sony XH95 as that had to go back to the retailer if I accepted. I feel conned.

Anyway, here are the issues in each set.

Set 1
Ghosting: With game motion plus on, no ghosting with it off.
Scan lines: No
DSE: Very bad

Set 2
DSE: Good
Reason for exchange: Had backlight bleed coming in from top left, looked bad on a dark picture

Set 3
DSE: Very bad, like the first set

Set 4
DSE: Worst DSE I've seen so far

Set 5 (i had a PS5 at this point)
Ghosting: 60hz: no, 120hz no, GMP: no
Scan lines: 60hz: yes, 120hz no
DSE: Again, very bad and noticeable

Set 6 (the one samsung sent me)
Ghosting: 60hz no, 120hz yes, GMP: yes (60hz)
Scan lines: no
DSE: Mild

I still have set 6 and going to send it back as I suffer from green ghosting in only 120hz games or when GMP is turned on. I do not see any scan lines in any mode. So there are 2 variations of issues that i've suffered:-

One
Scan lines present in 60hz mode only
No ghosting in any mode

Two
Scan lines not present in any mode (60hz, 120hz)
Ghosting in 120hz mode or with GMP turned on in 60hz.

My take from this is why all the different variations of issues between panels and how on earth is Samsung going to fix this mess? I feel they're going to fix one side of the issues and not the other OR they will fix something and break something else. It seems an absolute mess to have a situation like this. This clearly shows that different components / panels are being used across the board in the EU.

If i was to choose between one and two above I'd prefer to have one however none of this should be happening on a "flagship" 4K TV.
Was this all on the same firmware?

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
daparky
How are you getting them to replace all those sets ? Usually here in the USA Samsung will replace two sets for a total try of 3-set's. Usually on the third set they will tell you this is the last one, you can either keep it or get your money back. It also is a Big hassle to get them to do the 3-Sets and happens over about a 3-month period after all the shouting.
I was just wondering if it's a UK thing or something you are telling them ? I have never seen anyone get 6 set's exchanged.
Just curious.

·
Registered
116 Posts
daparky
How are you getting them to replace all those sets ? Usually here in the USA Samsung will replace two sets for a total try of 3-set's. Usually on the third set they will tell you this is the last one, you can either keep it or get your money back. It also is a Big hassle to get them to do the 3-Sets and happens over about a 3-month period after all the shouting.
I was just wondering if it's a UK thing or something you are telling them ? I have never seen anyone get 6 set's exchanged.
Just curious.
Different laws here in the UK, they're heavily on the consumers side.

You have the long distance selling regulations which means you can send back an opened, installed product for any reason what so ever. You don't even have to give a reason.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Different laws here in the UK, they're heavily on the consumers side.

You have the long distance selling regulations which means you can send back an opened, installed product for any reason what so ever. You don't even have to give a reason.
Now I get why you want to go out of the EU! I am in Belgium and to get even just someone to check on my TV has been impossible! After long weeks, I managed to have the retailer take back the set, and then after 3 more weeks, they are sending it back "fixed" next Tuesday.

But they can't tell me what has been fixed, or how! The customer service is lying by telling me they don't have access to the repair notes (but when asked a few days ago if they could offer an installation service, the answer was that it would depend on the repair notes... so yeah, kind of lying isn't it?) The problem is that the tv went to Samsung for repair (something the retailer didn't tell me before taking back my tv. I genuinely, and naively, thought they had their own repair workshop), and Samsung never even acknowledged my issues (very bad judder, purple ghosting, terrible local dimming in Game Mode and scanlines). Even when provided with video evidence of the issues, they refused to send a tech to check the tv because "our remote picture test came up negative, so there's no issue with your tv". And now they expect me to believe they fixed it???

I am beyond frustrated right now with this tv. It's a shame too, because when it works, it is stunning. I am just finger crossing every minute that my set will come back miraculously fixed for whatever reason... if not, the battle will be on to get a refund.

And then what? I can't go with the LG CX OLED because I use the tv as PC monitor the whole day. Has anyone switched from the Q90/95T to the Sony X900H (or the version in your country)? If yes, could you tell about your experience? Is the lack of luminosity that bad (especially in HDR)? Is motion well handed?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Now I get why you want to go out of the EU! I am in Belgium and to get even just someone to check on my TV has been impossible! After long weeks, I managed to have the retailer take back the set, and then after 3 more weeks, they are sending it back "fixed" next Tuesday.

But they can't tell me what has been fixed, or how! The customer service is lying by telling me they don't have access to the repair notes (but when asked a few days ago if they could offer an installation service, the answer was that it would depend on the repair notes... so yeah, kind of lying isn't it?) The problem is that the tv went to Samsung for repair (something the retailer didn't tell me before taking back my tv. I genuinely, and naively, thought they had their own repair workshop), and Samsung never even acknowledged my issues (very bad judder, purple ghosting, terrible local dimming in Game Mode and scanlines). Even when provided with video evidence of the issues, they refused to send a tech to check the tv because "our remote picture test came up negative, so there's no issue with your tv". And now they expect me to believe they fixed it???

I am beyond frustrated right now with this tv. It's a shame too, because when it works, it is stunning. I am just finger crossing every minute that my set will come back miraculously fixed for whatever reason... if not, the battle will be on to get a refund.

And then what? I can't go with the LG CX OLED because I use the tv as PC monitor the whole day. Has anyone switched from the Q90/95T to the Sony X900H (or the version in your country)? If yes, could you tell about your experience? Is the lack of luminosity that bad (especially in HDR)? Is motion well handed?
I am blessed to have such laws covering consumers here in the UK. I don't know what I would have done, be stuck with a broken TV.

If all else fails, you can take them to trading standards for selling faulty products etc.

I have just got off the phone to the retailer and they're bringing me the Sony XH95 again. I am keeping this for a few years until HDMI 2.1 matures.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Try the XH95 if you can't go OLED. It's the next best LED LCD.

·
Vendor
29,845 Posts
Hi all,

I would have not gotten to number 3 I do not think. There are many happy owners and some not so much. There comes a point where you realize the set is not for you. You getting another Sony then?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would have not gotten to number 3 I do not think. There are many happy owners and some not so much. There comes a point where you realize the set is not for you. You getting another Sony then?
I know, I should have stopped at number 3. I tried to give them a chance.
Yes, I'm getting XH95.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Good Luck with the Sony.
I hope it covers your needs and works out to be the right choice for you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just got the Samsung 65 inch Q90T and installed (with some Yamaha avr hdmi control challenges) last night. I have a few issues though but will post in order of importance. First one is that OOB there is a definite need for some PQ/color adjustments. I am sorry to ask this as I can't seem to get the search criteria on this forum to give me the right results (it just returns setting posts for any TV over the past 10+ years). So I would like to ask you "pros" to direct me to the best posts with calibrated or user settings based on the following factors. My preferred picture mode is Natural and the TV is in the living room with a medium level of natural light. No need for any game settings because we only watch Direct TV and stream content from various apps and a rare watching of a BRD. The TV is only hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V683 via eARC and the avr controls all connections to other components (pretty straight stuff). Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Try the XH95 if you can't go OLED. It's the next best LED LCD.
I have a few question about that potential switch :

1-Is the brightness difference in HDR between the Q90T and the XH95 that big a deal ? I tend to watch movies and play games in a dark room, but even then the incredible brightness range of the Q90T was gorgeous in HDR...
2-How is the local dimming on the XH95? I've heard the black are less close to true blacks than on the Q90T, and in a dark room, that can be very noticeable
3-How is the motion management on the XH95 compared to the Q90T? On my Q90T set, before the judder set in, it was really good... but then the judder came and stayed.
4-The XH95 is only [email protected] compliant, right? No HDMI 2.1/[email protected] on that set?

Thx

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a few question about that potential switch :

1-Is the brightness difference in HDR between the Q90T and the XH95 that big a deal ? I tend to watch movies and play games in a dark room, but even then the incredible brightness range of the Q90T was gorgeous in HDR...
2-How is the local dimming on the XH95? I've heard the black are less close to true blacks than on the Q90T, and in a dark room, that can be very noticeable
3-How is the motion management on the XH95 compared to the Q90T? On my Q90T set, before the judder set in, it was really good... but then the judder came and stayed.
4-The XH95 is only [email protected] compliant, right? No HDMI 2.1/[email protected] on that set?

Thx
Sony x950h is closer to the q80t. The q90t completly blows the sony out of the water.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am blessed to have such laws covering consumers here in the UK. I don't know what I would have done, be stuck with a broken TV.

If all else fails, you can take them to trading standards for selling faulty products etc.

I have just got off the phone to the retailer and they're bringing me the Sony XH95 again. I am keeping this for a few years until HDMI 2.1 matures.
q90t blows xh95 out of the water

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got this set yesterday. Out of the box with no tweaks I noticed some severe dimming at night where the entire panel frequently gets dark. Subtitles will turn gray and even my wife was annoyed by these and she ordinarily doesn’t notice picture quality at all. Is this normal for this TV? Is it a setting? This is watching Netflix from the onboard app, but also noticed on Hulu.

3961 - 3980 of 7014 Posts