AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 1906 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do wish we could get absolute confirmation of the panel type on the Q90T. All documentation at this point does note that it has Ultimate UHD Dimming which a prior link states that this would be a true 10 bit panel. The Q80T is listed with Supreme UHD Dimming indicating the cheaper panel. My feeling is the Q90T was given the better panel but again no 100% proof at this time.
I can only say that with my Q80T and a Panasonic ub900 player is that The player is saying 10 bit, with an LG oled B7 it was telling me 8 bit in the players settings.

As for HDMI 2.1, I think many get carried away with it. There will never be be that much 8k content/sources to support it. Across the board many get eARC support which for me is important for audio support

One HDMI 2.1 port is plenty for most, only if you need it. I can’t imagine too many people would be buying both next gen consoles to run side by side.

I’d much rather Samsung bring support for Dolby vision as it seems to be the only manufacturer not to support it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Remember there have been multiple reviews showing the picture is better despite lower dimming zones because of improved dimming algorithm/implementation. It isn’️t all above zones.

I suspect any VRR / reverse ghosting issue would be an easy firmware fix.
It’s not a VRR issue it’s game mode without game motion plus engaged VRR or not.

I wonder if the ghosting vrr issue is why so many vrr setups prevent you from using things like BFI and other screen features.
Inverse Ghosting isn’t just in VRR it’s game mode in general unless game motion plus is turned on.

Looks like reddit is under the impression that the Q90T is essentially a rebranded Q80R from last year (link). That Bill Money moderator is quite adamant about it. Wonder where he is getting his sources from? Interesting.
Highly doubt this since the Q90T looks better than the Q90R in terms of color and overall picture quality.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Who leaves their ambient light detection on? On my last tv, an OLED, I left it on for obvious reasons. The Q90T looks better with it off in my opinion. Just worried the backlight will wear out faster. I have it set in Movie mode by the way. So I'm not rocking Vivid mode or anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This was the big thing that pushed me to wait... I wanna see the vid your going to post and see how noticeable it is to me.. if I don’t really see it, maybe I’m so used to it from my past Samsung sets that it won’t bother me and I’ll place another order when it’s on sale again.
I'm in the same boat as you. I was really excited about Q90T and then started reading about questionable 10bit panel lately and then the inverse ghosting when you have VRR/freesync on in game mode.

Here is a YouTube video I saw showing it on Q95T. Not sure if same on Q90T but don't see why not. You can see the green blob popping up on the walls when he turns his character.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It’s not a VRR issue it’s game mode without game motion plus engaged VRR or not.

Inverse Ghosting isn’t just in VRR it’s game mode in general unless game motion plus is turned on.
You are correct but not entirely, this issue is not present when using Game Mode in 120hz modes in 1080p/1440p/2160p it is present only in 30 and 60hz output

·
Registered
170 Posts
Who leaves their ambient light detection on? On my last tv, an OLED, I left it on for obvious reasons. The Q90T looks better with it off in my opinion. Just worried the backlight will wear out faster. I have it set in Movie mode by the way. So I'm not rocking Vivid mode or anything.
I don't and I also use movie mode. 👍

·
Registered
28 Posts
Finished recording my video and writing the script so I should have it up later on tonight I’ll let you guys know. I still have time to add something so if there’s anything you want me to include or test let me know soon.

It’️s not a VRR issue it’️s game mode without game motion plus engaged VRR or not.

Inverse Ghosting isn’️t just in VRR it’️s game mode in general unless game motion plus is turned on.
You are correct but not entirely, this issue is not present when using Game Mode in 120hz modes in 1080p/1440p/2160p it is present only in 30 and 60hz output
Really wow that’s great, I gotta test this on the xbox later on but if what your saying is true then theoretically inverse ghosting should be a non issue for 4K 120hz output on hdmi 2.1 devices like next gen consoles.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Finished recording my video and writing the script so I should have it up later on tonight I’ll let you guys know. I still have time to add something so if there’s anything you want me to include or test let me know soon.
Can you have freesync on and game motion on? How does bfi affect things?

Anyone know if this set can do forum vrr? I think that’s different than freesync, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looks like reddit is under the impression that the Q90T is essentially a rebranded Q80R from last year (link). That Bill Money moderator is quite adamant about it. Wonder where he is getting his sources from? Interesting.

I've given up on those forums (/OLED and /4KTV), it just feels like its some kind of personal board for Bill & Co to push their opinions as facts and ban anyone who does not agree.

·
Registered
429 Posts
[/quote]You are correct but not entirely, this issue is not present when using Game Mode in 120hz modes in 1080p/1440p/2160p it is present only in 30 and 60hz output[/QUOTE]

So does this mean that if next gen puts out a 120hrz signal but the game is only 30 - 60 FPS but we use freesync to smooth it out we shouldn’t have reverse ghosting?

·
Registered
473 Posts

Really wow that’s great, I gotta test this on the xbox later on but if what your saying is true then theoretically inverse ghosting should be a non issue for 4K 120hz output on hdmi 2.1 devices like next gen consoles.

Well, since you are taking requests... :)

I would really apprechiate if you could try out using the TV as a PC monitor but not for gaming. Mainly to see if text is rendered fine even without scaling in Windows or if there are problems with blur, fuzzines etc. Many TVs, including OLEDs and normal VA ones, have problem rendering PC text based on ClearType. Of course, any other relevant stuff to using it as a PC monitor would be welcome as well. Thanks for your time and effort regardless!

This is a good source what I am refering to:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/picture-quality/text-clarity

·
Registered
157 Posts

Anyone know if this set can do forum vrr? I think that’s different than freesync, I could be wrong.

It is HDMI-VRR since the Q9FN. They just implemented Freesync in cooperation with AMD so it works with their graphic cards.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The reviewer says the Q90T is very good (matching the Q90R) but should have been so much better. Samsung intentionally "dumbed down the hardware" in their flagship 4K TV because they are shifting their better technology to their 8K TVs.

8 minute clip, worth watching.

·
Registered
429 Posts

Anyone know if this set can do forum vrr? I think that’️s different than freesync, I could be wrong.

It is HDMI-VRR since the Q9FN. They just implemented Freesync in cooperation with AMD so it works with their graphic cards.
Ahh so it’s packaged together when you enable freesync on the set...

·
Registered
473 Posts
The reviewer says the Q90T is very good (matching the Q90R) but should have been so much better. Samsung intentionally "dumbed down the hardware" in their flagship 4K TV because they are shifting their better technology to their 8K TVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt9jFCvzvn4

8 minute clip, worth watching.

Isn't that FOMO guy kind of like the Quantum TV version of Vincent? :) I have gotten the impression that he mainly presents opinions based on what he has read rather than actual reviews. That said, have not watched any of his stuff so I could be wrong here (and of course his opinions could be relevant regardless).

Edit:

Having watch the video now, I have to appologize to FOMO or whatever his name is for even comparing him to that other guy. Although not a review, he does have some relevant points that to some extent match the ones I have also mentioned.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’m happy to report that the Q90T/Q95T does not exhibit the awful game mode clouding that dogged the Q90R of last year. I tested the same scene in Horizon Zero Dawn that Vincent Teoh from HDTV Test used to demonstrate the game mode clouding on the Q90R. The blacks were barely raised compared to non-game mode, but there was no hint of clouding whatsoever. Looks like Samsung solved the issue for this years flagship 4K set.

Also, Game Motion Plus is phenomenal, such a brilliant feature for 30FPS games - makes everything silky smooth without adding much input lag. Underrated feature in my opinion, it’d be difficult to go back to a TV without it to be honest.

I also saw no hint of inverse ghosting (with or without Game Motion Plus). I tested SSBU, BotW, Overwatch and HZD. Does it only occur with certain games or resolutions? Is there something specific I can test?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ahh so it’s packaged together when you enable freesync on the set...

In some way yes. The best example for such a device is the Xbox One X which can do both. That console works with monitors who only support Freesync and LG TVs (Oled or Nanocell) which only have HDMI-VRR at the moment.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I’m happy to report that the Q90T/Q95T does not exhibit the awful game mode clouding that dogged the Q90R of last year. I tested the same scene in Horizon Zero Dawn that Vincent Teoh from HDTV Test used to demonstrate the game mode clouding on the Q90R. The blacks were barely raised compared to non-game mode, but there was no hint of clouding whatsoever. Looks like Samsung solved the issue for this years flagship 4K set.

Also, Game Motion Plus is phenomenal, such a brilliant feature for 30FPS games - makes everything silky smooth without adding much input lag. Underrated feature in my opinion, it’d be difficult to go back to a TV without it to be honest.

I also saw no hint of inverse ghosting (with or without Game Motion Plus). I tested SSBU, BotW, Overwatch and HZD. Does it only occur with certain games or resolutions? Is there something specific I can test?

It's a pixel response issue, so you need to find the trouble colours that are slow to transition. And also match the resolution & refresh rate and settings used. Can be troublesome to find if it's related to a specific setting only. It's good if we can isolate it properly.

You had the 65" 95T?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Isn't that FOMO guy kind of like the Quantum TV version of Vincent?

I dont think so because this video is pretty much outdated. A few months ago everyone thought Samsung isnt supporting any HDMI 2.1 features at all.
But you are right that Fomo sometimes doesnt adress that informations he previously had are changed and are not correct anymore. But what can you do ? Deleting every old video is certainly not a solution.

Still he is a million times more credible than the Q-guy. He owns several high end TVs and can compare them to each other - which creates a way more believeable opinion.

481 - 500 of 1906 Posts