AVS Forum banner

5561 - 5580 of 5717 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm wondering why nobody advise to turn off xtended dynamic range on sony TV'S HDR game-mode but insists to turn off contrast enhancer on samsungs qled HDR game-mode which acts similarly to output better HDR performance. Yesterday i saw x950h tried turning off xtended dynamic range it looks exactly contrast enhancer on qled TV'S. there is no difference between them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My ghosting comes and goes and isn't super noticeable until you notice it.... COD Cold War for instance in darker rooms when looking at white desks/cabinets. If i look back and forth at it it will show purple ghosting. Bright environments it's not noticeable.
Crazy thing is, the longer I own this TV the more I feel like the ghosting comes and goes as well. Don't get me wrong, it is ALWAYS there...There are certain inherent flaws in LCD hardware that software can only fix to an extend. There is going to be some smearing, or ghosting, or blur... it's unavoidable...

I play CoD more than anything else on the TV, so I apologize that its always what I'm talking about, but I know specific areas, and specific objects on just about all of the multiplayer maps that exhibit issues. Last night my ghosting/smearing was quite bad while playing CoD, but tonight, In many of the same areas, the ghosting was nowhere near as bad...

1. this is odd, like the TV gets it right sometimes, but sometimes it doesn't, which has definitely been mentioned before here
2. It lends credence to the idea that it is a firmware issue, and NOT a hardware issue...also mentioned here before
3. Starts to make sense that some people don't notice it. They might game less, and use their sets for other activities more often, leading to fewer times where there set gets it "wrong" or if its a firmware INSTALLATION issue, then their firmware just happens to be working fine...

I'm wondering why nobody advise to turn off xtended dynamic range on sony TV'S HDR game-mode but insists to turn off contrast enhancer on samsungs qled HDR game-mode which acts similarly to output better HDR performance. Yesterday i saw x950h tried turning off xtended dynamic range it looks exactly contrast enhancer on qled TV'S. there is no difference between them.
I think its a side effect of the common practices when it comes to calibration, and the way its been for at least as long as I've been interested in Home Theater equipment....the general rule of thumb is to immediately turn off anything that does extra processing to the image, and make your adjustments from there.

I agree with you, that Contrast Enhancer generally looks significantly better, especially when gaming in HDR so I leave it on Low all the time.

Reactions: jimtriol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Contrast Enhancer off :

Contrast Enhancer on :

Photos are shot in the same exposure.

One reason for those who insist turning off Contrast Enhancer is that it may causes bright part too bright resulting in blown out and details lost. They prefer seeing all details from the darkest to the brightest rather than a natural dazzling sun.

Another reason I think is for picture purist. They insist picture should be set to their original present, any other enhance settings are intolerable pollution. Even if you prefer enhanced picture, in their opinion, you're still a decadent hedonist and should be educated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Contrast Enhancer off :
View attachment 3077944

Contrast Enhancer on :
View attachment 3077945

One reason for those who insist turning off Contrast Enhancer is that it may causes bright part too bright resulting in blown out and details lost. They prefer seeing all details from the darkest to the brightest rather than a natural dazzling sun.

Another reason I think is for picture purist. They insist picture should be set to their original present, any other enhance settings are intolerable pollution. Even if you prefer enhanced picture, in their opinion, you're still a decadent hedonist and should be educated.
Basically....though I will say...I never go for the gold like that and turn CE on high, I usually stick with low.

Same holds true for lots of things when it comes to the Home Theater purists...if you don't use the absolute WARMEST color temp, you should be jailed. Motion interpolation? Straight to hell (though I do agree about the soap opera effect being bad news). Sharpness? 0...nothing else is acceptable. Saturation? One click up makes you a mad man....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also, an FYI for those that have been partaking in the "Which HDMI Cable should I buy for HDMI 2.1 Sources?" Conversation that has been floating around the thread...

While Monoprice has a few different cables that they list as 48Gbps, and I've had enough success with their cables to believe their claims, none of them have been, up to this point "certified." That seems to have changed.

They now list a braided "8k Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.1 Cable." The description lists that it was tested in an HDMI lab, and includes images of the official certification badge. These cables will be available in late February, and cost a little more than we're all probably used to seeing from monoprice, but thats surely a byproduct of certification costs, and passing the cost, at least partially onto the customer.

I'm not saying these will be any better than the options that have already been talked about in this thread, but its nice to have another player joining the game with an actual certified cable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also you don't get vrr and allm on movie mode
You're right. It's no problem for me so far since I only have PS5 which has no VRR at present hooked in my TV. I hope Samsung can fix game mode dimming issue in time before publication of VRR update for PS5.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Crazy thing is, the longer I own this TV the more I feel like the ghosting comes and goes as well. Don't get me wrong, it is ALWAYS there...There are certain inherent flaws in LCD hardware that software can only fix to an extend. There is going to be some smearing, or ghosting, or blur... it's unavoidable...

I play CoD more than anything else on the TV, so I apologize that its always what I'm talking about, but I know specific areas, and specific objects on just about all of the multiplayer maps that exhibit issues. Last night my ghosting/smearing was quite bad while playing CoD, but tonight, In many of the same areas, the ghosting was nowhere near as bad...

1. this is odd, like the TV gets it right sometimes, but sometimes it doesn't, which has definitely been mentioned before here
2. It lends credence to the idea that it is a firmware issue, and NOT a hardware issue...also mentioned here before
3. Starts to make sense that some people don't notice it. They might game less, and use their sets for other activities more often, leading to fewer times where there set gets it "wrong" or if its a firmware INSTALLATION issue, then their firmware just happens to be working fine...

I think its a side effect of the common practices when it comes to calibration, and the way its been for at least as long as I've been interested in Home Theater equipment....the general rule of thumb is to immediately turn off anything that does extra processing to the image, and make your adjustments from there.

I agree with you, that Contrast Enhancer generally looks significantly better, especially when gaming in HDR so I leave it on Low all the time.
I also use CE on low despite the recommendations of the professionals .It seems to me that CE is necessary for Samsung TV's not only for the brightness but the image is cleaner and its better to use it than raise the gamma to 3.Ok u ll loose some highlights in some brighter images but u gain a lot more .Unfortunately we cant have it all so CE on low is a good compromise..There is also a trick to disable tone mapping if u want....Just launch an HDR game and the then with your remote go and and play an SDR video on YouTube and then enter the game again .I dont know why but this works fine .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes but
Contrast Enhancer off :
View attachment 3077944

Contrast Enhancer on :
View attachment 3077945

Yes but its off versus high...On low is better and u gain more than u loose in my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also use CE on low despite the recommendations of the professionals .It seems to me that CE is necessary for Samsung TV's not only for the brightness but the image is cleaner and its better to use it than raise the gamma to 3.Ok u ll loose some highlights in some brighter images but u gain a lot more .Unfortunately we cant have it all so CE on low is a good compromise..There is also a trick to disable tone mapping if i want....Just launch an HDR game and the then with your remote go and and play an SDR video on YouTube and then enter the game again .I dont know why but this works fine .
How you say by switching HDR to SDR youtube turn off DTM ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
How you say by switching HDR to SDR youtube turn off DTM ?
Launch a game on HDR then with your remote open YouTube tv application and play an SDR video for 2,3 sec it doesnt matter and then with your remote go to game again and thats it ....no tone mapping. U can also do the same in the consoles HDR calibration screen and u ll immediately notice that there is no tone mapping.If u close the console or the tv u msit do the same again to disable it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Launch a game on HDR then with your remote open YouTube tv application and play an SDR video for 2,3 sec it doesnt matter and then with your remote go to game again and thats it ....no tone mapping. U can also do the same in the consoles HDR calibration screen and u ll immediately notice that there is no tone mapping.If u close the console or the tv u msit do the same again to disable it
I’ve tried this before and didn’t work for me is there a certain video you watch? If so what’s the name of it?

·
Registered
96 Posts

Exact same experience. Funny thing is I have a very very hard time seeing ghosting in Gears 5 in both 60 and 120hz mode.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Today I get my 2nd TV's panel replaced for DSE and vertical banding. I'm hoping this 3rd panel does the trick! I'm slightly nervous about someone taking apart my 7 week old TV and putting it back together but trying to stay positive. They did order the screen directly from Samsung and are an authorized Samsung repair company so maybe just maybe Samsung has tightened up QC with the replacement panels. Wishful thinking but need to try to be positive. I really hope this addresses the issue.

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts
You're right. It's no problem for me so far since I only have PS5 which has no VRR at present hooked in my TV. I hope Samsung can fix game mode dimming issue in time before publication of VRR update for PS5.
Makes you wonder if the VRR on the PS5 Will be fixed at the same time with all the Sony TVs...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi mate.
I don`t know if you are still having problems with over reddish colour tones with your Q90t,
but maybe give this a try!
Go to Settings, Picture, Expert Settings, scroll down to White Balance.
Click on 2 Point.
Scroll to R -Gain and click to minus 1.
Scroll to R-Offset and click down to minus 15.
This worked wonders for me and I have finally got proper flesh tones.
Hope this helps!
Bazza
Wow, it did improve the flesh tones. Thanks much.

5561 - 5580 of 5717 Posts