AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 1825 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Out of curiosity did you run 120hz/1080p on port 4? I know port 4 doesn't accept 1440p and the other ports also have VRR. I'm stretching obviously but I have seen multiple pc users claim 120hz "fixes" this issue. The thing I haven't seen anyone do is limit fps to 60 in game while running 120hz with VRR to behave like a console. I don't understand how 120hz could fix this issue if your only running 60fps VRR like I would expect from next gen consoles AAA games so my theory has been higher FPS is what is actually fixing the issue. I don't know of any console games that push close to 120 fps in performance mode on a xbox one x, but there might be one.
I don't have problems with 1440p or 4k with Port 4, however i`m using PC, 120hz will fix the issue if you are not using "standard VRR", however if you use VRR with LFC( low framerate compensation is repeating every frame when frames are below 60) you will be able to mitigate the issue as the refreshrate of the display will stay nearly at 100hz+ all the time. I assume next gen consoles will support LFC as well so you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, I picked the Q90T 65” at BB yesterday. I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the picture quality on cable tv. I have tried just about every setting adjustment I can to get the picture sharp, but it just stays kind of fuzzy and even blurry at times. The text on news channels even looks a little bit doubled up when looking at up real close. What’️a a bit disturbing is that it isn’️t even nearly as sharp as my ten year old 52” Samsung LN52B750 that it is replacing. I even have a nine year old 46” samsung lcd that has a sharper picture. Am I missing a setting somewhere to sharpen the picture? The Sharpness adjustment doesn’️t do it for me. I have tried all the picture modes and adjustment combinations, but no luck. Does anybody have a list of settings I should use to get the best picture quality? I am using the HDMI 1 connection on the back of the tv. The cable box is also set at the proper 1080P output setting. One thing I suspect is that I am going from a 52” to a 65” and we sit about 8 feet away from the tv as that’️s the furthest our room allows us. So, we seem to see every bad detail up close. If we stand back into the next room, the tv seems to look sharper. Did I maybe just buy too big of a tv to sit that close? Any help would be appreciated!
Strange... I mean it's cable tv so never the best. I don't find it bad at all.... Have you tested any media like UHD movie, Xbox or Ps? I'm still tweaking... But I use movie mode, local dimming at high, warm 1, picture quality on custom, contrast enhencer off.... Not sure what else I can tell you. Your sharpness setting should be very low. Most say 0...but I have mine at 6. I find it better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I'll be honest I was debating returning this TV a few times due to the inverse ghosting but I have now decided fully that I am going to keep it its just an excellent TV everything is a 10 out of 10 except game mode (though its leaps and bounds better than Q90Rs game mode) but because game motion plus just makes gaming great in my eyes it makes up for the flaws there but compared to everything else I think its just better yes even better than OLED due to the brightness and ability to display the specular highlights on HDR better, black levels look similar to OLED already anyway so whats my other options? Sony terrible for gamers, Vizio they have issues with backlighting and their smart platform is awful.

I weighed all the options all the pros and cons at nauseam and right now I think this is the best 4K TV flagship for all around everything even with its issues in game mode. Hopefully Samsung does fix the issues though.

If you got the money id spring for the 8K 950ts flagship because it definitely seems better long term but for the other 8k model the difference between the 800T and 90T doesn't seem like too much other than max resolution I think?

·
Registered
429 Posts
So I'll be honest I was debating returning this TV a few times due to the inverse ghosting but I have now decided fully that I am going to keep it its just an excellent TV everything is a 10 out of 10 except game mode (though its leaps and bounds better than Q90Rs game mode) but because game motion plus just makes gaming great in my eyes it makes up for the flaws there but compared to everything else I think its just better yes even better than OLED due to the brightness and ability to display the specular highlights on HDR better, black levels look similar to OLED already anyway so whats my other options? Sony terrible for gamers, Vizio they have issues with backlighting and their smart platform is awful.

I weighed all the options all the pros and cons at nauseam and right now I think this is the best 4K TV flagship for all around everything even with its issues in game mode. Hopefully Samsung does fix the issues though.

If you got the money id spring for the 8K 950ts flagship because it definitely seems better long term but for the other 8k model the difference between the 800T and 90T doesn't seem like too much other than max resolution I think?
Yeah tcl is really the only other option... I want to give the set a try, but I have 0 confidence that Samsung will address the issue. If game mode is never fixed I’m not sure this set will be viable for next gen as vrr is going to be a major feature.

·
Registered
121 Posts
^Same! Just bought some bias lighting for when I watch in complete darkness. I think eye strain is an even bigger issue with TVs like this that output such high nits.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’d hope so, but looking at the Samsung forms this was something that happened on the 2019 models as well... do you have the investing ghosting issues as well? I keep secretly hoping it’s a panel lottery thing or a defect not present in all of the sets.
I know that everyone is obsessed with this inverse ghosting thing, but I haven’t seen any on mine. I’ve played BotW, SSBU, God of War, HZD and Overwatch - with Game Motion Plus enabled and disabled. Maybe it won’t be as prevalent as you think?

·
Registered
429 Posts
.[/quote]I know that everyone is obsessed with this inverse ghosting thing, but I haven’️t seen any on mine. I’️ve played BotW, SSBU, God of War, HZD and Overwatch - with Game Motion Plus enabled and disabled. Maybe it won’️t be as prevalent as you think?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, though I think it’s most prevalent when freesync is enabled. I guess I can order it and in the worst case return it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Default settings in game mode Q90R is not the best.
You can achieve the same result, by changing settings in game mode.
Contract enhancer, brightness, etc.

Looks like, they improve default settings in game mode q90t.
I was under the impression that it was a backlight algorithm issue exclusive to the Q90R and couldn’t be cleared by changing settings, hence the significant clouding in all parts of the image. I’m sure Vincent from HDTV Test investigated this thoroughly before including it in his video.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Q800T has way more dimming zones than the Q90T. But if you go with 8K you need at least 75 inch or higher to get even the slightest benefit. For media consumption that is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a shame. I had high hopes for the Q90T. There doesn't seem to be alot of alternatives at the moment. I love the Samsung color pop but the issues seem like a dealbreaker for a premium priced tv, let alone a cheaper one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
^I enjoy my Q90T a lot, if you’re concerned about inverse ghosting, it’s really a wait and see situation for next gen consoles. If you don’t need a new TV wait it out and so how they perform with the TV upon release.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Found a bug, anyone notice this on the Q90R? HDR has it’s own settings aside from SDR but HDR 10+ and SDR share the same settings?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I’️d hope so, but looking at the Samsung forms this was something that happened on the 2019 models as well... do you have the investing ghosting issues as well? I keep secretly hoping it’️s a panel lottery thing or a defect not present in all of the sets.
I know that everyone is obsessed with this inverse ghosting thing, but I haven’️t seen any on mine. I’️ve played BotW, SSBU, God of War, HZD and Overwatch - with Game Motion Plus enabled and disabled. Maybe it won’️t be as prevalent as you think?
Same! Haven't noticed in my 65"Q90T yet! 🤞

·
Registered
429 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Same! Haven't noticed in my 65"Q90T yet! 🤞[/QUOTE]

What console have you been using? That’s something else I didn’t think of, if it’s an Xbox problem...

·
Registered
162 Posts

What console have you been using? That’s something else I didn’t think of, if it’s an Xbox problem...[/QUOTE]

I use xbox one S

·
Registered
121 Posts

What console have you been using? That’s something else I didn’t think of, if it’s an Xbox problem...[/QUOTE]

Any version of PS4 won’t support Freesync or VRR so you wouldn’t even notice the issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Finally finished my video, I got some clips of inverse ghosting in there so you can see what I mean by the issue.
Unfortunately I don't think I can capture what game motion plus does correctly due to my camera being limited but lets just say 30 FPS games used to bug me but now with this TV I love it feels like a 60 fps game with game motion plus up

https://youtu.be/WKetBc43Mxo

btw if this against the rules my apologies and I will remove this post just let me know.

I tried it with an Xbox One X

Yeah this is pretty much what I found as well, I been trying to tell people that game mode is much improved from the Q90R and the picture is definitely not washed out and the only issue is the lack of full usage from the FALD.
Ok could it be the games, what I mean here is that the very best it’s 60hz with current gen.

I would be looking at next gen to run 120hz native, then its a question of how many games are going to support it (120hz).

541 - 560 of 1825 Posts