AVS Forum banner

5601 - 5620 of 5676 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Looks good to me!

Just curious how you are taking a picture of this? It looks good to my naked eye on the TV but every photo I take looks like this.

View attachment 3078272
Have you tried a factory reset From the options menu? Mine did that with the SmartThings app, so all installs I do with the remote now and forget the app. Those dark areas are what my set looked like on a bad firmware install. I reset the TV and have never seen them again

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Q90T got the 1460 update today. Game mode with my current settings is the same as before (which is generally a good thing). Watching the Expanse on Apple TV, the local dimming setting seem to be behaving more logically and behaving in a linear fashion (aka low has the most blooming, high has the least but with crushed detail).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have got the QE65Q90T, and i'm happy with the TV. Here some pics of DSE, i think its a good panel, or? I'm waiting to get my ps5 and hopefully i will enjoy the TV as i now do. Btw this is a Hongary TV, production date 11-2020.

Before this TV, i didnt even know about DSE. I was very concerned about it when reading some forums. Sometimes in motion and a clear (light) background like the sky, i can see it. My 12 year old full hd lcd samsung, i never noticed it. Has it something to do with new technology on this lcd panels?

·
Vendor
28,616 Posts
Any word on when the Q90T 85"will be available to buy again? BestBuy is out of stock and has no idea when new inventory will arrive.
There are many product lines that where sold out thru the holidays, now the supply chain has to fill again. It's going to take some time, however they are now becoming available.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i never noticed it. Has it something to do with new technology on this lcd panels?
No, it is not a new phenomenon, but I do think it is a byproduct of a few things.

1. Cost cutting, these corporations want to maximize profits, so these things are bound to crop up when your sourcing panels from multiple places with the goal of getting them as cheap as possible.
2. The industry's fascination with thin and light...Everyone is obsessed with having the thinnest TV possible, while still advancing technologies at as fast a rate as possible. For years now, I have truly believed that picture quality would improve noticeably across the board if there wasn't such a focus on shrinking the physical size of technology.

Reactions: ej_424

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have got the QE65Q90T, and i'm happy with the TV. Here some pics of DSE, i think its a good panel, or? I'm waiting to get my ps5 and hopefully i will enjoy the TV as i now do. Btw this is a Hongary TV, production date 11-2020.

Before this TV, i didnt even know about DSE. I was very concerned about it when reading some forums. Sometimes in motion and a clear (light) background like the sky, i can see it. My 12 year old full hd lcd samsung, i never noticed it. Has it something to do with new technology on this lcd panels?

View attachment 3078414 View attachment 3078415 View attachment 3078416 View attachment 3078417 View attachment 3078418
Challenge with these pics is DSE isn't that noticeable on a static image, so your eyes need to be the judge. Do you see dirty vertical lines when the camera pans left to right? As mentioned yesterday I had my 3rd panel replaced and DSE is still there but far better than the pervious two and and this point I'm willing to deal with it as its not too noticeable. Seems like every Q (2020) models have DSE to some extent based on the comment here and my personal experience with 3 sets. Whether people notice it is another story. I'm sensitive to those things along with the ghosting and pixel overshoot i witness time to time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Challenge with these pics is DSE isn't that noticeable on a static image, so your eyes need to be the judge. Do you see dirty vertical lines when the camera pans left to right?
That's true. I posted a photo earlier of a paused video, where DSE is not noticeable. Even got congratulated for winning the lottery. However, when a video is in motion, I see the lines... But I never noticed it when watching causal content, so I guess I can live with it. I think it's the issue with technology itself and there is no perfectly clear panel. I think people are kind of overreacting...

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's true. I posted a photo earlier of a paused video, where DSE is not noticeable. Even got congratulated for winning the lottery. However, when a video is in motion, I see the lines... But I never noticed it when watching causal content, so I guess I can live with it. I think it's the issue with technology itself and there is no perfectly clear panel. I think people are kind of overreacting...
Samsung is notorious for dirty screen effect, and they keep getting away with it because people keep buying their garbage. I used to be a Samsung fanboy, but since I had so many Samsung TV’s fail, or not last but a few months, I would never buy another one. I had a Samsung Q6FN, Q8FN, two Q80R, and a Q90R. All of them, including an NU8000, had horrible screen uniformity, dead pixels right out of the box, and list of other issues that I gave up and got a Sony. If I was doing it all over again, I would look at TCL and Hisense.

Back to the point, the dirty screen effect is synonymous with Samsung, and as long as people keep buying their products, it will stay that way. They know they can get away with it, riding on their name. They better look behind them, because there is TCL about to pass them up, with Hisense not far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any SDR video from
YouTube ll do .Just launch the game HDR mode, wait to load and then with your remote open the youtube application of your tv and play an SDR video , then choose the icon of your console or your input, press it and u r back at the game without tone mapping. I saw this trick on a forum..Never thought it ll work but it did. Works for me every time .U ll notice it immediately on your games image or better on your HDR calibration screen.
It is not working. From SDR to HDR it may take some time to generate brightness that is what it looks like DTM is off. In adjust HDR same 23 clicks only it's invisible even after tried your work arounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Samsung is notorious for dirty screen effect, and they keep getting away with it because people keep buying their garbage. I used to be a Samsung fanboy
Well, I'm not a fanboy for sure. Hell, I didn't even own ANY tv for like 8 years, before I decided to buy one. It was very hard to make up my mind, which one I should buy, mostly Sony or Samsung (OLED not an option, cause I was afraid of burn-in). Read some good things about Q90T, some bad also but got an opportunity for a discount and bought it...

I was perfectly fine and really happy for like a week or two and then I found this forum, started noticing people pointing finger at things in reddit and that's where it all started... I started searching for bad things in a tv, reading this thread every day and filling my head with regret and misery... I guess Samsung really deserves every bad word it gets, if I had an opportunity to choose again, probably would go with Sony or Hisense or even LG OLED...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Samsung is notorious for dirty screen effect, and they keep getting away with it because people keep buying their garbage. I used to be a Samsung fanboy, but since I had so many Samsung TV’s fail, or not last but a few months, I would never buy another one. I had a Samsung Q6FN, Q8FN, two Q80R, and a Q90R. All of them, including an NU8000, had horrible screen uniformity, dead pixels right out of the box, and list of other issues that I gave up and got a Sony. If I was doing it all over again, I would look at TCL and Hisense.

Back to the point, the dirty screen effect is synonymous with Samsung, and as long as people keep buying their products, it will stay that way. They know they can get away with it, riding on their name. They better look behind them, because there is TCL about to pass them up, with Hisense not far behind.

I don't think Samsung can do no wrong for sure and I'm no fanboy. In fact I bought an extended warranty for my Q90T from Best Buy because I don't trust Samsung. But at the same time Samsung makes some very good products including their TVs. While my Q90T has a small amount of DSE it's really pretty fantastic overall with game mode still needing some attention. But calling Samsung "garbage" imo is a bit ridiculous. I'm curious, do you live in the US? Like I said I have very little DSE, no dead pixels and no issues other than a lack of local diming in game mode and some HDMI 2.1 issues which most companies are struggling with.

Are they over priced? Yes imo they are too expensive. Do I think TCL and Hisense are going to ever be on par with Samsung? Really doubt it will be any time soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same here, this Info gives me nothing sadly. When I use this Info thingy or press the center button, I just get the current media player OSD nothing more. Nothing like this: "resolution, HDR, frequency, date, VRR, UHD, and maybe others"

I find it very hard to believe if the TV does not have some kind of OSD / overlay that shows signal its getting both audio and video.
Long overdue update on this question I had: If I press the 3-color button 2 times, and then select info when showing external source, I got some info up, not the most detailed but ok.
But if I play media on the TV, like the local Netflix, Disney+ etc, the above button clicks gives no info, just the player OSD. So I see no way to show details on the current signal when the source is the TV apps.
Any way to see this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, I'm not a fanboy for sure. Hell, I didn't even own ANY tv for like 8 years, before I decided to buy one. It was very hard to make up my mind, which one I should buy, mostly Sony or Samsung (OLED not an option, cause I was afraid of burn-in). Read some good things about Q90T, some bad also but got an opportunity for a discount and bought it...

I was perfectly fine and really happy for like a week or two and then I found this forum, started noticing people pointing finger at things in reddit and that's where it all started... I started searching for bad things in a tv, reading this thread every day and filling my head with regret and misery... I guess Samsung really deserves every bad word it gets, if I had an opportunity to choose again, probably would go with Sony or Hisense or even LG OLED...
Don't regret your purchase. It's a great TV overall and no matter what you buy there will be issues. It's more vocal here but Samsung TVs are far more saturated out there to the public so you have to keep that in mind when you see a lot of complaints.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm a bit speechless and really looking for others to weigh in on this. I recently got my 3rd panel due to DSE and banding issues, and while its better its still not great. Aside from that each panel has had on and off ghosting issues. However this 3rd panel has major ghosting and I can't get rid of it no matter what I do. It happens in game mode as well when game mode is turned off. It also happens in any combination of 120hz or 60hz, even with VRR off at 60hz.

I'm on the latest US firmware 1406, and not sure what to do. My other panels weren't this bad and sometimes didn't exhibit any ghosting. Do i really need to go down the replacement route yet again? Man I'm starting to hate this TV.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm a bit speechless and really looking for others to weigh in on this. I recently got my 3rd panel due to DSE and banding issues, and while its better its still not great. Aside from that each panel has had on and off ghosting issues. However this 3rd panel has major ghosting and I can't get rid of it no matter what I do. It happens in game mode as well when game mode is turned off. It also happens in any combination of 120hz or 60hz, even with VRR off at 60hz.

I'm on the latest US firmware 1406, and not sure what to do. My other panels weren't this bad and sometimes didn't exhibit any ghosting. Do i really need to go down the replacement route yet again? Man I'm starting to hate this TV.

Samsung is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get. 3rd time I’d say enough is enough

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ya but what do you do? Im out of my return window so not even sure how I would argue for a refund.
I don't know your situation in the US, but here in the EU, we have a "legal guarantee" where "lack of conformity" is a thing and defined as such :

If you are a retailer, your customers can ask for redress under the legal guarantee provided by EU law - if an item:
  • doesn't match the product description
  • has different qualities from the model advertised or shown to the client
  • is not fit for purpose - either its standard purpose or a specific purpose ordered by the customer which you accepted
  • doesn't show the quality and performance normal in products of the same type
  • wasn't installed correctly - either by you, or by the customer, due to shortcomings in the instructions
Meaning that if the customer decides that the product he got does not "conform" to what he was sold, even if the product is considered as "within specs" by the manufacturer, it's still a lack of conformity. Ghosting when playing games is not a spec of the tv you knew about when buying it, and you wouldn't have bought it if you knew, therefore you're in your right to get a refund.

This point was in my last mail to my retailer with threats of legal pursuits as soon as "my file was complete", and the next day they called me to take back my tv and offered a full unconditional refund. I don't know if it was the legal threats or if I just managed to become so big a hassle to them that they decided to close my case - the reason given for the refund was, officially : "incident closed" :).

But as I said, I have no idea what are the laws in the US. Check the warranty you got from your retailer in detail, try to play with words, and my biggest advice : show them you will not stop bothering them! Their whole strategy is based on getting you to be so bothered by all the procedures, the calls and the waits that at some point, you just stop trying to get your refund.

Good luck, I know your pain!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think Samsung can do no wrong for sure and I'm no fanboy. In fact I bought an extended warranty for my Q90T from Best Buy because I don't trust Samsung. But at the same time Samsung makes some very good products including their TVs. While my Q90T has a small amount of DSE it's really pretty fantastic overall with game mode still needing some attention. But calling Samsung "garbage" imo is a bit ridiculous. I'm curious, do you live in the US? Like I said I have very little DSE, no dead pixels and no issues other than a lack of local diming in game mode and some HDMI 2.1 issues which most companies are struggling with.

Are they over priced? Yes imo they are too expensive. Do I think TCL and Hisense are going to ever be on par with Samsung? Really doubt it will be any time soon.
I do live in the states.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Th
I don't know your situation in the US, but here in the EU, we have a "legal guarantee" where "lack of conformity" is a thing and defined as such :

If you are a retailer, your customers can ask for redress under the legal guarantee provided by EU law - if an item:
  • doesn't match the product description
  • has different qualities from the model advertised or shown to the client
  • is not fit for purpose - either its standard purpose or a specific purpose ordered by the customer which you accepted
  • doesn't show the quality and performance normal in products of the same type
  • wasn't installed correctly - either by you, or by the customer, due to shortcomings in the instructions
Meaning that if the customer decides that the product he got does not "conform" to what he was sold, even if the product is considered as "within specs" by the manufacturer, it's still a lack of conformity. Ghosting when playing games is not a spec of the tv you knew about when buying it, and you wouldn't have bought it if you knew, therefore you're in your right to get a refund.

This point was in my last mail to my retailer with threats of legal pursuits as soon as "my file was complete", and the next day they called me to take back my tv and offered a full unconditional refund. I don't know if it was the legal threats or if I just managed to become so big a hassle to them that they decided to close my case - the reason given for the refund was, officially : "incident closed" :).

But as I said, I have no idea what are the laws in the US. Check the warranty you got from your retailer in detail, try to play with words, and my biggest advice : show them you will not stop bothering them! Their whole strategy is based on getting you to be so bothered by all the procedures, the calls and the waits that at some point, you just stop trying to get your refund.

Good luck, I know your pain!
[/QUOTE. They behave the same way everywhere...They ll always tell u thats there is no problem and everything is within specs. Their practice is to put u in an endless loop of calls with technical services etc etc until u feel exhausted by their bureaucratic procedure's. Now if u r willing to give a fight do your homework well about the customer law's and show them that u really know about technical issues they ll finally accept your demand of refund,repair ,exchange. But how many of us have the time or the willingness to suffer like this for a tv....Damn we bought just a tv and they know well that very few of us ll do all these procedures so they dont care

·
Registered
8 Posts
You were fine and happy with it until you read this forum? Maybe you should stay off forums because now you will never be happy with any TV you purchase because these forums point out problems with ALL of them. ;) There is no perfect TV so why ruin something you're happy with? Internet forums are useful, but they can also poison the mind.

5601 - 5620 of 5676 Posts