AVS Forum banner

6881 - 6900 of 7038 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think its on by default in every mode(game,etc).U get 1 to 1 pixel and u disable overscan with this setting on i think(not sure) so u get a sharper and a better image thats why it is defaulted on..But really not sure,maybe someone wll enlighten us.
Yeah I just want to make sure I have it set properly so when I watch movies with different aspect ratios that I'm getting the ratio that the movie needs to be in. Yesterday I was watching Wonder Woman 84 in 4k and its in 2.39.1 and 1.90.1. So to my understanding the imax shots should be full screen no? I had a very slight black bar top and bottom during the imax scenes I believe (will check again this morning). So many aspect ratios! Lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
So I just tested again at the opening scene does have smaller black bars during the 1.90:1 and also notice the auto was greyed out during the movie and just had the option of on or off. It was set to on. When I switch it to off (fit to screen) the black bars are even smaller. Sorry I'm still learning about aspect ratios . I know most aspect ratios for movies have some kind of letterbox. But wanted to make sure I have the right setting for fit to screen so that I'm getting the right letterbox size the movie wants me to have. I'm thinking I should just leave it on auto? Cause when I play a movie it automatically goes to on. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Got some bad news on the Q90T, when using the TV’s native Plex app, watching the movie Shooter in HDR10 Plus, I encountered the 6 minute dimming bug for the first time. Granted this is the first time I’ve used the native Plex app, I’m not sure how long this problem had existed for me.

After multiple tests I can confirm it dims on the dot at the 6 minute mark; changing local dimming to low then back to standard fixes the brightness but it will dim again.

This does not happen with the same movie when I played it on my Nvidia shield’s Plex app, though I don’t get HDR10+ this way, which after comparing it to regular HDR10, I couldn’t notice much difference if at all.

Dimming also does not happen playing hdr content in the native YouTube app, it currently only occurs in the native Plex app for me and I will do more testing later tonight with the native Netflix app and other native apps.

Game mode is also not affected so it looks like external hdmi devices are safe from the dimming bug.

I’m still on 1403, not sure if updating to 1462 will solve this issue. It’s not a huge deal for me personally as I use the Shield for all my movies and shows but like many have pointed out, things like this shouldn’t happen on a premium TV and Samsung should definitely be held accountable for the lack of communication and support.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am experiencing exactly the same problems on my Q95t. The 1497 update has messed the TV up exactly like SamOne 1986 is describing but in every mode. Washed out colors, images with noise and fuzziness, I cant believe it's the same TV I bought 2 months ago. Any known solution other than waiting for an new Firmware would be appreciated.
you can check also my previous posts about the 1497 fw bugs , i have created many samsung community topics recolting the 1497 bugs , you can add your bugs too and your user experience with the 1497 firmware so that samsung be aware of this firmware troubles and correct them in the next apdate :

1- fuzziness in PC MODE after the 1497 firmware update
2- PC MODE after the 1497 firmware update of the Q95T
3- Re: the users experience and bugs after the 1497 firmware update on the q95t

·
Registered
47 Posts
to all people who denied what's happening to the q95t after the 1497 firmware update , this is another " real proof " by Mr Panos7
I quote :
1 - Hi!!
After the update the colors are not vivid anymore. They're washed out and dull. Lighting is either too bright or too dark, picture quality is low and the biggest problem is there's a white shadow over the whole screen on all content and sources...like blooming!! It's like I bought a cheap TV from 2010!!
I was playing Astrobot on PS5 before the update and it was fantastic eyecandy.
After the update I don't even want to start my PS5.
Whats even more annoying, is that I had the update for 5 days and everything was fine until I decided to turn on my PS5 and then the TV wouldn't recognize any HDMI. I did the troubleshooting HDMI, it recognized it and in the settings of the PS5 I got the message you're TV doesn't support HDR and was in low resolution....
Afterwards I did a factory reset, all HDMI were recognized but the picture on the TV had been awful since then on all sources. Washed out colors, noise in the images and no more strong black...
I'm now thinking of selling the TV as Samsung only suggested a factory reset to solve the problem. They won't recognize they ve messed up a very nice TV with their "update".... and they said we can't downgrade...

2 - The same update messed up my q95t too. Now there are no vivid colors, images are blurry and washed out with noise on every mode. How about Samsung letting us choose to downgrade. My Q95t looks awful after the update and I cant believe it has been tested by Samsung and they thought it was Ok...!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uggh, these reviews are not inspiring much confidence. I had been looking to replace my 7 year old edge-lit Samsung H7150 in my small living room with a Q90T. Given the 2021 models are coming out, I am able to get a new 55" Q90T for 30% less than a new 55" QN90A. Given my family's usage (children, mixture of streamed HDR programming, FIOS television, some gaming on a PS4 and a Switch) and living room environment (some windows and some lights in the room), the Q90T appeared to be a better match for us than Sony X950H, OLEDs, or other TVs.

Relative to all of the issues I've read about in this forum, am I crazy to still be considering buying the Q90T? As of now, I just didn't think the QN90A is worth a 30% premium in price versus the Q90T. Thoughts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone having issues with HDR on HBO Max? I've tried 4 different way to watch Dolby Vision movies from the app (Samsung app, Nvidia Shield, Xbox Series X, and Xfinity cable box). All devices support HDR10 - but when I view from Samsung, Xbox, and Xfinity I get no HDR. When I view from my Shield I get green and purple colors as it tries to play HDR. I can play HDR from all of these devices on the TV using other apps...but there seems to be an issue with HBO Max. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone having issues with HDR on HBO Max? I've tried 4 different way to watch Dolby Vision movies from the app (Samsung app, Nvidia Shield, Xbox Series X, and Xfinity cable box). All devices support HDR10 - but when I view from Samsung, Xbox, and Xfinity I get no HDR. When I view from my Shield I get green and purple colors as it tries to play HDR. I can play HDR from all of these devices on the TV using other apps...but there seems to be an issue with HBO Max. Thanks
I get hdr on hbomax app using chromecast with Google tv. Hdr doesn't seem to work with the native built-in hbomax app.

Chromecast starts up with hdr even on the homepage. Even with non hdr content, hdr is on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Something I noticed using chromecast with Google tv, the tv doesn't dim slightly anymore when subtitles appear on screen with local dimming set to standard or high using the Movie mode. The screen does dim slightly when ui elements come on like volume though.

This was an annoying issue when using the native apps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you mean that dark areas look too bright and colors in dark areas look undersaturated, then this is a common issue.
Have you tried the settings I suggested in the post here:
Hi, I tried your settings today and the Black & gray colours are still a messa and back light is still flickering. Strange thing is that happens only if vrr / gsync is on. Without it everything is fine like on my Q9FN
I think I will bring the TV back. Now I have to wait till q90a will be release in germany (june I think) or go for a cx10 which has the same price like q90t

·
Registered
181 Posts
Got some bad news on the Q90T, when using the TV’s native Plex app, watching the movie Shooter in HDR10 Plus, I encountered the 6 minute dimming bug for the first time. Granted this is the first time I’ve used the native Plex app, I’m not sure how long this problem had existed for me.

After multiple tests I can confirm it dims on the dot at the 6 minute mark; changing local dimming to low then back to standard fixes the brightness but it will dim again.

This does not happen with the same movie when I played it on my Nvidia shield’s Plex app, though I don’t get HDR10+ this way, which after comparing it to regular HDR10, I couldn’t notice much difference if at all.

Dimming also does not happen playing hdr content in the native YouTube app, it currently only occurs in the native Plex app for me and I will do more testing later tonight with the native Netflix app and other native apps.

Game mode is also not affected so it looks like external hdmi devices are safe from the dimming bug.

I’m still on 1403, not sure if updating to 1462 will solve this issue. It’s not a huge deal for me personally as I use the Shield for all my movies and shows but like many have pointed out, things like this shouldn’t happen on a premium TV and Samsung should definitely be held accountable for the lack of communication and support.
Got some interesting findings. Re-tested for the dimming bug tonight, still present in native Plex app at the 6 minute mark. Native YouTube app and Netflix are both fine no issues, same with all external hdmi sources and gaming.

So it seems to me it’s isolated to the native Plex app. I then proceeded to delete and reinstall the native Plex app and Voila, no more dimming bug! Finished the movie Shooter in HDR 10 Plus and didn’t encounter the dimming bug again, oddly enough, subtitle dimming also got improved lol.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi, I tried your settings today and the Black & gray colours are still a messa and back light is still flickering. Strange thing is that happens only if vrr / gsync is on. Without it everything is fine like on my Q9FN
I think I will bring the TV back. Now I have to wait till q90a will be release in germany (june I think) or go for a cx10 which has the same price like q90t
Sorry to hear. I've never had flickering on mine, so yours could have a different problem. Also possible that my US model is different than yours in some way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
  • “Q90T has a bug whereby it will not pass through uncompressed audio via eARC (how has this not been fixed?!).”
I bought the Q95T with the purpose of using eARC, Sonos and the PS5 together. I found out that LPCM is supported in the console and the tv (as stated in the e-manual) but only to show Stereo PCM 2.0.

I went into Samsung support chat and I was told to wait for a message. I waited and the response I got received back 1st Feb was this

Can anyone explain this to me. Just confused. Pretty sure I saw a website that shows that eARC should support uncompressed 5.1/7.1. Right?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
25 Posts
My backlight flickers with VRR on also.
I have a 3080 so I can play most of my games smooth without it on to avoid the light flickering but VRR no doubt makes every game much smoother with higher settings.

Games like Red Dead I've noticed I DO get minor ghosting with VRR off.
If I turn VRR on, the sky and different things flicker with scan lines.

(I play and run everything 4K/120hz)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My backlight flickers with VRR on also.
I have a 3080 so I can play most of my games smooth without it on to avoid the light flickering but VRR no doubt makes every game much smoother with higher settings.

Games like Red Dead I've noticed I DO get minor ghosting with VRR off.
If I turn VRR on, the sky and different things flicker.

(I play and run everything 4K/120hz)
And Do you have any gray / Black color Tones issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
And Do you have any gray / Black color Tones issue?
I have the same problem with the gsync and a 3080.
I have also tried the settings of voyager6868 without success.
The difference is obvious with the game mode without VRR ...

I currently only use 4k 120hz in game mode.
Hope samsung will fix the VRR.
I have read that there is the same problem with the new model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem with the gsync and a 3080.
I have also tried the settings of voyager6868 without success.
The difference is obvious with the game mode without VRR ...

I currently only use 4k 120hz in game mode.
Hope samsung will fix the VRR.
I have read that there is the same problem with the new model.
jesus christ, i hope not ! just ordered Q85A :( if so i will stay with my Q9FN or maybe try LG CX10
Or Samsung should upgrade the Q9FN to HDMI 2.1.. would be the greatest samsung TV by far !

·
Registered
405 Posts
I bought the Q95T with the purpose of using eARC, Sonos and the PS5 together. I found out that LPCM is supported in the console and the tv (as stated in the e-manual) but only to show Stereo PCM 2.0.

I went into Samsung support chat and I was told to wait for a message. I waited and the response I got received back 1st Feb was this

View attachment 3119542 Can anyone explain this to me. Just confused. Pretty sure I saw a website that shows that eARC should support uncompressed 5.1/7.1. Right?
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what the Samsung rep is trying to say. Stereo LPCM works both through the TV speakers and via eARC. Multi-channel PCM isn't supported whatsoever by this TV.

The official HDMI 2.1 spec is very generous to manufacturers around eARC. Only sinks (e.g., soundbar, receiver) are required to support the major formats (including multi-channel PCM). Sources (TV) only have to support stereo PCM and not even any bitstream formats from what I recall.

The best thing would be if manufacturers were completely upfront about what they support or don't so we can make an educated decision. Until then, best option is to buy from a retailer that will let you return. If enough folks return these because of incomplete specs, maybe things would change.

AFAIK, LG OLEDs support multi-channel PCM via eARC.

6881 - 6900 of 7038 Posts