AVS Forum banner

6901 - 6920 of 7038 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
So I just tested again at the opening scene does have smaller black bars during the 1.90:1 and also notice the auto was greyed out during the movie and just had the option of on or off. It was set to on. When I switch it to off (fit to screen) the black bars are even smaller. Sorry I'm still learning about aspect ratios . I know most aspect ratios for movies have some kind of letterbox. But wanted to make sure I have the right setting for fit to screen so that I'm getting the right letterbox size the movie wants me to have. I'm thinking I should just leave it on auto? Cause when I play a movie it automatically goes to on. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi Dan,

I, too, went through this whole overscan debacle when I got my Samsung (coming from an over decade-old Sony SXRD rear projection set that automatically enabled overscan). Let me see if I can clear it up:

If you are doing serious film watching on the set, as we do via our HDMI 2 input connected to our Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player, you want to keep FIT TO SCREEN turned ON. This will eliminate overscan and let you see the image the way it was intended to be seen, not cutting off any edges. If you are used to overscan -- as I was for all these years before getting our first 4K display -- then the black bars in 2.35 and 2.40 scope widescreen transfers will appear larger than usual (it took awhile for me to get used to this...believe me). The upside is that the picture will remain super-sharp for any source, whether it's streaming, DVD, Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray. The downside is that with some older DVDs (or newer ones from studios that don't know how to author a disc in the year 2021) you can see weird scan lines in different colors surrounding the image that were once covered up by overscan; a good example of this is the Two-Disc Special Edition DVD of JFK that I own, which plays back with an annoyingly distracting green border around the whole screen because I run my Samsung with Fit to Screen turned ON. Some Redbox rentals also exhibit this -- of new releases -- which is a real head scratcher, but the biggest offender here seems to be DVDs produced by the Vertical Entertainment label.

I too wondered about the whole Fit to Screen: AUTO setting and what it actually does; I leave it on Auto for cable viewing (HDMI 1, connected to our cable box) but I still don't know how it operates. For the most part, it looks like overscan is always turned on with this setting. However, the reason why Auto is greyed out in some instances is because if you have, say, a 2160 (4K) signal going to the display, the Samsung will evaluate this as "not being compatible with overscan" and won't make it available. This is why on my Sammy, too, Auto is not available on the input our UHD Blu-ray player is connected to, because it's putting out a 4K signal (only ON and OFF are available).

With regard to the aspect ratios -- yes, if Fit to Screen is ON, you'll see some ratios that would have normally filled a screen (such as IMAX shots on certain discs or 1.85/1.78 widescreen transfers) appear with SLIGHT slivers of black on top and bottom, which is normal. It's because you're now seeing the WHOLE image without overscan.

I hope this cleared some stuff up; if you have any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
179 Posts
to all people who denied what's happening to the q95t after the 1497 firmware update , this is another " real proof " by Mr Panos7
I quote :
1 - Hi!!
After the update the colors are not vivid anymore. They're washed out and dull. Lighting is either too bright or too dark, picture quality is low and the biggest problem is there's a white shadow over the whole screen on all content and sources...like blooming!! It's like I bought a cheap TV from 2010!!
I was playing Astrobot on PS5 before the update and it was fantastic eyecandy.
After the update I don't even want to start my PS5.
Whats even more annoying, is that I had the update for 5 days and everything was fine until I decided to turn on my PS5 and then the TV wouldn't recognize any HDMI. I did the troubleshooting HDMI, it recognized it and in the settings of the PS5 I got the message you're TV doesn't support HDR and was in low resolution....
Afterwards I did a factory reset, all HDMI were recognized but the picture on the TV had been awful since then on all sources. Washed out colors, noise in the images and no more strong black...
I'm now thinking of selling the TV as Samsung only suggested a factory reset to solve the problem. They won't recognize they ve messed up a very nice TV with their "update".... and they said we can't downgrade...

2 - The same update messed up my q95t too. Now there are no vivid colors, images are blurry and washed out with noise on every mode. How about Samsung letting us choose to downgrade. My Q95t looks awful after the update and I cant believe it has been tested by Samsung and they thought it was Ok...!!
Are you using the Q90T/Q95T in PC mode? Please specify if so, otherwise you're misleading people. Only a very, very SMALL percentage of users bought this TV to use in PC mode - as such your constant complaints about washed out colours are completely MEANINGLESS to the vast majority of posters in this thread.

·
Registered
179 Posts
jesus christ, i hope not ! just ordered Q85A :( if so i will stay with my Q9FN or maybe try LG CX10
Or Samsung should upgrade the Q9FN to HDMI 2.1.. would be the greatest samsung TV by far !
Avoid the Q85A, it has an IPS panel and a terrible contrast ratio as a result.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Dan,

I, too, went through this whole overscan debacle when I got my Samsung (coming from an over decade-old Sony SXRD rear projection set that automatically enabled overscan). Let me see if I can clear it up:

If you are doing serious film watching on the set, as we do via our HDMI 2 input connected to our Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player, you want to keep FIT TO SCREEN turned ON. This will eliminate overscan and let you see the image the way it was intended to be seen, not cutting off any edges. If you are used to overscan -- as I was for all these years before getting our first 4K display -- then the black bars in 2.35 and 2.40 scope widescreen transfers will appear larger than usual (it took awhile for me to get used to this...believe me). The upside is that the picture will remain super-sharp for any source, whether it's streaming, DVD, Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray. The downside is that with some older DVDs (or newer ones from studios that don't know how to author a disc in the year 2021) you can see weird scan lines in different colors surrounding the image that were once covered up by overscan; a good example of this is the Two-Disc Special Edition DVD of JFK that I own, which plays back with an annoyingly distracting green border around the whole screen because I run my Samsung with Fit to Screen turned ON. Some Redbox rentals also exhibit this -- of new releases -- which is a real head scratcher, but the biggest offender here seems to be DVDs produced by the Vertical Entertainment label.

I too wondered about the whole Fit to Screen: AUTO setting and what it actually does; I leave it on Auto for cable viewing (HDMI 1, connected to our cable box) but I still don't know how it operates. For the most part, it looks like overscan is always turned on with this setting. However, the reason why Auto is greyed out in some instances is because if you have, say, a 2160 (4K) signal going to the display, the Samsung will evaluate this as "not being compatible with overscan" and won't make it available. This is why on my Sammy, too, Auto is not available on the input our UHD Blu-ray player is connected to, because it's putting out a 4K signal (only ON and OFF are available).

With regard to the aspect ratios -- yes, if Fit to Screen is ON, you'll see some ratios that would have normally filled a screen (such as IMAX shots on certain discs or 1.85/1.78 widescreen transfers) appear with SLIGHT slivers of black on top and bottom, which is normal. It's because you're now seeing the WHOLE image without overscan.

I hope this cleared some stuff up; if you have any other questions, let me know.
Wow! Thank you so much for taking taking the time to answer and helping me understand. So I'll just leave it on Auto. When I do that and watch movies on my Panasonic UHD it's on and by your explanation I'm seeing what I'm supposed to see. I just wasn't sure with the imax scenes. At first I thought they would all be full screen but that's not really the case. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It has low native contrast but according Rtings, the contrast with local dimming in actual content is around 20,000 : 1, which is not bad at all. Of course the QN90A is still better but I can see hardcore gamers buying the 85A for strictly gaming.
Won't blooming be exacerbated by the poor native contrast though?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It has low native contrast but according Rtings, the contrast with local dimming in actual content is around 20,000 : 1, which is not bad at all. Of course the QN90A is still better but I can see hardcore gamers buying the 85A for strictly gaming.
At the moment iss the only TV I can imagine to work with.
And I dont want to spend 2000€ for q90a.
What could be otherwise the alternative for a85a?

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
Uggh, these reviews are not inspiring much confidence. I had been looking to replace my 7 year old edge-lit Samsung H7150 in my small living room with a Q90T. Given the 2021 models are coming out, I am able to get a new 55" Q90T for 30% less than a new 55" QN90A. Given my family's usage (children, mixture of streamed HDR programming, FIOS television, some gaming on a PS4 and a Switch) and living room environment (some windows and some lights in the room), the Q90T appeared to be a better match for us than Sony X950H, OLEDs, or other TVs.

Relative to all of the issues I've read about in this forum, am I crazy to still be considering buying the Q90T? As of now, I just didn't think the QN90A is worth a 30% premium in price versus the Q90T. Thoughts?
All I can say is there is a lot of less complaining about the 90A. So I guess it depends if your happy with a 90T.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But is is really worth the 33% price increase over the 90t
I have the Q90T and when I would have the chance to pay 33% more to replace it with a QN90A, I would do it. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the Q90T after all and I probably will keep it for the next 5 Years and will then replace it with micro-led or whatever comes next in the non-oled world. But for the next 5 Years, I really think that the QN90A would be worth it. The Problem is, here in EU the Q90T in 65" compared to the QN90A in 65" is NOT 33%, it is exactly 100% increase. And this is kind of insane and absolutely not worth it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are you using the Q90T/Q95T in PC mode? Please specify if so, otherwise you're misleading people. Only a very, very SMALL percentage of users bought this TV to use in PC mode - as such your constant complaints about washed out colours are completely MEANINGLESS to the vast majority of posters in this thread.
first of all , who are you to determine the pourcentage of users using the q95t as monitor to represent " few people " , do you consider yourself as the majority of people worldwide , speak of yourself , besides my problem is not unique , there are two or three people here in this forum who reported after this 1497 firmware the same bugs in all MODES not just pc mode and if you did not notice it that means that you are shortsighted , your reply to our report is MEANINGLESS TOO , because this tv is not just a playstation tool , it is a multimedia platform gathering from netflix to youtube , so keep your pourcentage for yourself !

·
Registered
15 Posts
first of all , who are you to determine the pourcentage of users using the q95t as monitor to represent " few people " , do you consider yourself as the majority of people worldwide , speak of yourself , besides my problem is not unique , there are two or three people here in this forum who reported after this 1497 firmware the same bugs in all MODES not just pc mode and if you did not notice it that means that you are shortsighted , your reply to our report is MEANINGLESS TOO , because this tv is not just a playstation tool , it is a multimedia platform gathering from netflix to youtube , so keep your pourcentage for yourself !
I agree with you that the TV for this price should also perform in PC mode well without issues. If that's not the case, this is not acceptable. But I also agree with Blue Sun, that this should be specified in the post. I personally do not care about PC mode either. And I don't have any issues you describe in other modes. And when you say that 2-3 people report this issues also in other mode, this is not the majority of people. We know that you and some others have this issue and we believe you and we also agree with you that this is not acceptable. But posting this again and again will not fix your problem and will mislead other people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with you that the TV for this price should also perform in PC mode well without issues. If that's not the case, this is not acceptable. But I also agree with Blue Sun, that this should be specified in the post. I personally do not care about PC mode either. And I don't have any issues you describe in other modes. And when you say that 2-3 people report this issues also in other mode, this is not the majority of people. We know that you and some others have this issue and we believe you and we also agree with you that this is not acceptable. But posting this again and again will not fix your problem and will mislead other people.
the majority of people here did not receive the 1497 fw update so THERE IS NO MAJORITY YET of users who feel satisfyied with the new update , the people who are acctually complaining about the 1497 update are me , Battousai from italy and panos7 from greec , and if your a good listener you will know that i was complaining about bugs in pc mode in all my post but other friends found the same bugs in the other modes such as panos7 , finnaly who give you the right to judge my posts as misleading , are you a moderator or a sellsman from Samsung , this forum is created to report and solve our AVS bugs and problem , so everyone has the right to report and find a solution for his avs problem .

·
Registered
178 Posts
the majority of people here did not receive the 1497 fw update so THERE IS NO MAJORITY YET of users who feel satisfyied with the new update , the people who are acctually complaining about the 1497 update are me , Battousai from italy and panos7 from greec , and if your a good listener you will know that i was complaining about bugs in pc mode in all my post but other friends found the same bugs in the other modes such as panos7 , finnaly who give you the right to judge my posts as misleading , are you a moderator or a sellsman from Samsung , this forum is created to report and solve our AVS bugs and problem , so everyone has the right to report and find a solution for his avs problem .

No one told u to stop report the problem and of course it must be fixed.. But there is a difference between a widespread problem like the dimming bug that has thousand of people complaining in the EU SAMSUNG site for example and your issue. Furthermore is your attitude ,the first time you posted your problem u were accusing the gamers that its their fault that Samsung messed with your tv with the latest firmware. I m also on 1497 latest update and in pc mode the tv behaves the same way as before. i hope that u ll find solution to your problem

·
Registered
47 Posts
so Mr jimtriol ,
you are in PC MODE with the 1497 update , well then , can you give us what did you notice after the update , how is the blooming ? how do you find the brightness when watching a movie from pc ? how is the image quality when viewing a low def video ? is the image crisp and clear or did you notice some FILTER on the screen making it fuzzy ?
every detail you notice is important for us

·
Registered
828 Posts
Wow! Thank you so much for taking taking the time to answer and helping me understand. So I'll just leave it on Auto. When I do that and watch movies on my Panasonic UHD it's on and by your explanation I'm seeing what I'm supposed to see. I just wasn't sure with the imax scenes. At first I thought they would all be full screen but that's not really the case. Thanks for your help.
No problem! Glad I was able to sort it out for you.

Some say overscan is redundant and unnecessary at this point with 4K TVs, and there is truth to that, but for some of us who still cling to large DVD collections or watch transmissions that may not block out side noise from the image, the feature is there if we want to turn it on...

One thing, though: You mentioned keeping Fit to Screen on AUTO -- if I were you, and if we're talking about the input you're using for your Panasonic disc player, I'd keep it ON so that way you know you're getting the whole picture with film content. (Something else I wanted to add, too: I originally mentioned Fit to Screen: Auto not being available with 2160 resolution because the panel will "determine" that this "isn't compatible" or "necessary" for overscan -- but I can't explain, then, why I can actually turn Fit to Screen OFF when the incoming resolution is 4K. It's weird how it works. Only Auto doesn't seem to be available.)

I keep it on AUTO for my cable box input (on my Samsung, it's HDMI 1) because I don't know which channels need overscan and which don't; however, I was never given an explanation, no matter how many times I asked about it, as to how AUTO Fit to Screen actually WORKS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has there been any talk in this thread regarding the frame skipping / juttering issue? Picked up my TV two months ago and I didn't notice it then. It almost seems like it came to being over time and now I can't unsee it when I watch Sling content. There is a huge thread on it over at the other AV forum site. I'm wondering what the word/consensus is over here? Unfortunately searching in threads doesn't seem easy here.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Has there been any talk in this thread regarding the frame skipping / juttering issue? Picked up my TV two months ago and I didn't notice it then. It almost seems like it came to being over time and now I can't unsee it when I watch Sling content. There is a huge thread on it over at the other AV forum site. I'm wondering what the word/consensus is over here? Unfortunately searching in threads doesn't seem easy here.
What content are you watching where frame skipping is evident? I haven't seen any jutter/frame skipping on my Q95T. Just FYI, I don't use any built in Samsung apps; I use an Apple TV 4K, PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch and watch a little free-to-air TV.

so Mr jimtriol ,
you are in PC MODE with the 1497 update , well then , can you give us what did you notice after the update , how is the blooming ? how do find the brightness when watching a movie from pc ? how is the image quality when viewing a low def video ? is the image crisp and clear or did you notice some FILTER on the screen making it fuzzy ?
every detail you notice is important for us
The problem is that your many and frequent posts complaining about the matter dilutes the quality posts making it difficult for owners/future owners to troubleshoot, it is also tiring to read about the same thing again and again. My suggestion is to open a support ticket with Samsung and have them deal with it. Call them and tell them about it. They might send an engineer over or replace your set.

6901 - 6920 of 7038 Posts