AVS Forum banner
7,021 - 7,040 of 13,793 Posts
Would someone with a PS5 be so kind and tell me his PS5 video settings? I thought I grasped all this stuff, but now I am confused.
I am fine with 4K 60Hz HDR, don't need 120Hz. If I connect the PS5 to the HDMI 3 port and try to set HDR to automatic or alwas enabled, it says my TV doesn't support HDR.
Plug the ps5 to hdmi 4!! Put black level on low, and put RGB on full or auto(which is basically full) by random!! Put hdr in when supported. And deep colour automatic!! And make sure it runs RGB(HDR).. also you need to make sure that on inputs on your tv you tick the hdmi port so you can get hdr!!

From what people have shared about the 1497 notes it was mainly released to address an EU power regulation. The US may never see it.
talking about this " EU power regulation " , have they edited the power consumption internally in the tv or they have just updated the power consumption classification to the new standard ?

Plug the ps5 to hdmi 4!! Put black level on low, and put RGB on full or auto(which is basically full) by random!! Put hdr in when supported. And deep colour automatic!! And make sure it runs RGB(HDR).. also you need to make sure that on inputs on your tv you tick the hdmi port so you can get hdr!!
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I definitely don't want to use HDMI 4. Is there no chance to make 4K60Hz HDR work on HDMI 3?
HDMI black level can only be set outside game mode, right?

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I definitely don't want to use HDMI 4. Is there no chance to make 4K60Hz HDR work on HDMI 3?
4K/60 HDR should work on any of the ports. Make sure you also have Input Signal Plus enabled (in the general settings) for the HDMI port you are using. For some reason it defaults to off when an HDMI cable is disconnected and is necessary for HDR. If you are running through a receiver make sure a similar option is enabled on your receiver (on my Denon and Sony receivers it’s called 4K enhanced signal format).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AureIian
4K/60 HDR should work on any of the ports. Make sure you also have Input Signal Plus enabled (in the general settings) for the HDMI port you are using. For some reason it defaults to off when an HDMI cable is disconnected and is necessary for HDR. If you are running through a receiver make sure a similar option is enabled on your receiver (on my Denon and Sony receivers it’s called 4K enhanced signal format).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I checked the settings again and in fact input signal plus was disabled only for HDMI 3. I am 100% sure I had them all enabled, but I also disconnected the cable a couple days ago. This is it. Stupid that it defaults to off... Thank you!

Never had gamma issues with my XSX!! I use hdr 4k and vrr freesync most of the times. The picture looks great!
I'm pretty happy with my gaming picture too, as stated the Local Dimming could be improved in game mode and I do have ghosting until my panel warms up. But no real gamma issues outside of loading screens (Flicker) but from what I've read that is expected due to the FPS differences.

Yes, only outside game mode i think. With game mode I think its grayed out ( not sure tho since I never use game mode on my q95), and yes you can have hdr 4k 60hz on hdmi 2.0 ports but you gonna get YUV HDR because it is limited due to the bandwidth of the hdmi 2.0!! And you need to go to the input settings on your tv and tick the hdmi port you use.

I'm pretty happy with my gaming picture too, as stated the Local Dimming could be improved in game mode and I do have ghosting until my panel warms up. But no real gamma issues outside of loading screens (Flicker) but from what I've read that is expected due to the FPS differences.
I don't use game mode at all, playing in dynamic mode and on standard makes the black levels looks like 99% like on my OLED!! The local dimming and black levels is vastly superior outside game mode. The blooming is barely noticeable outside game mode too, whether in loading screens or even in an actual gameplay. I never see blooming when game mode is OFF, with ON however there's tons of it especially in loading screens.

I don't use game mode at all, playing in dynamic mode and on standard makes the black levels looks like 99% like on my OLED!! The local dimming and black levels is vastly superior outside game mode. The blooming is barely noticeable outside game mode too, whether in loading screens or even in an actual gameplay. I never see blooming when game mode is OFF, with ON however there's tons of it especially in loading screens.
I want that 120fps and low input latency. I play competitive FPS games like WZ, not willing to take the hit outside of game mode. But I have tried playing that way, the picture is slightly better but not worth it in my eyes. Options are always welcome though.

I want that 120fps and low input latency. I play competitive FPS games like WZ, not willing to take the hit outside of game mode. But I have tried playing that way, the picture is slightly better but not worth it in my eyes. Options are always welcome though.
It is very much worth it if you are a single player gamer like me, I don't play online games at all!! So the input lag is not a problem to me.

I have Blur at 3 and Judder at 6.
Panning shots in 24p movies are simply unwatchable without them on.

Hey I'm hoping you or someone else that reads this might can help. i just had a Sony 55x900e go out on me. There were a few things I hated about the tv, but I thought the picture quality was outstanding. I just purchased a Samsung 65Q90T. I had read great reviews, but I haven't been impressed so far. I can't seem to find many settings other than the rtings.com settings. I have those on currently. They look alright. I like my colors oversaturated a bit so I bumped up the color. My biggest issue seems to be with motion. It seems like the has horrible motion distortion/judder, or it has horrible soap opera effect.

Is this a known issue, or were you able to find a happy medium. I'm trying your Blur 3, Judder 6 settings right now, but I'm still seeing the SOE. I am sensitive to it. I was also wondering if anyone knew other settings I could try in general. I have about a week to return the tv. Surely a flagship TV can produce better results than this so hopefully my settings are just off. Otherwise I may have to consider going back to a Sony tv which I don't want to do since my last one just went out after only 3 years, and I absolutely hate the remote. Oh I almost forgot. I haven't been able to watch any 4k content or HDR content just yet, most of my viewing has been with Directv. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey I'm hoping you or someone else that reads this might can help. i just had a Sony 55x900e go out on me. There were a few things I hated about the tv, but I thought the picture quality was outstanding. I just purchased a Samsung 65Q90T. I had read great reviews, but I haven't been impressed so far. I can't seem to find many settings other than the rtings.com settings. I have those on currently. They look alright. I like my colors oversaturated a bit so I bumped up the color. My biggest issue seems to be with motion. It seems like the has horrible motion distortion/judder, or it has horrible soap opera effect.

Is this a known issue, or were you able to find a happy medium. I'm trying your Blur 3, Judder 6 settings right now, but I'm still seeing the SOE. I am sensitive to it. I was also wondering if anyone knew other settings I could try in general. I have about a week to return the tv. Surely a flagship TV can produce better results than this so hopefully my settings are just off. Otherwise I may have to consider going back to a Sony tv which I don't want to do since my last one just went out after only 3 years, and I absolutely hate the remote. Oh I almost forgot. I haven't been able to watch any 4k content or HDR content just yet, most of my viewing has been with Directv. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
I played around with the panning scene in the first 10 seconds of Alita Battle Angel and landed on Judder 6 where I do not see any more stuttering. I think Blur adds more SOE so I leave it on 3, it's personal preference so there is no wrong answer here.
This is how I arrived at my motion settings, 99% of what I watch are movies and shows shot in 24p so my settings might not be applicable if you’re watching mostly DirectTV. I would say just play around with judder and see what looks good to you without SOE, I’ve seen other poster mention they prefer judder at 3-5 so try it out.

Indeed, I believe I am the "other poster" Salty mentions above; I use Blur Reduction: 10 and Judder Reduction: 5 on my Samsung, and at these levels, it seems there's just enough smoothing so that soap opera effect doesn't kick in (once I hit 6 on Judder, the motion smoothing seems too aggressive, and we get that hyper-surreal movement not really preferred for film content).

The problem I am having -- and one that apparently is never going to be solved -- is that for whatever reason, ever since purchasing, installing and using our newer UHD Blu-ray player, a Panasonic UB9000, motion appears to get seriously tripped up by these settings in the Samsung, causing horrible "ghostly distortion/tearing" during very fast movement in action scenes, notably in the FOREGROUND (in front) motion and most noticeably with 4K Blu-ray content (though it DOES occur with DVD and 1080p Blu-ray content, too). I cannot explain why, ever since replacing the first UHD BD player we owned, a Cambridge Audio CXUHD, these issues have begun with the Panasonic, but I didn't notice them using the Cambridge (or even an old Oppo BDP-83 before that); however, they're clearly present, and when I shut AMP completely off, they disappear. So it's something with the way this Panasonic player is interacting with the Samsung when motion interpolation is engaged.

Some extreme examples of when I notice this include moments on the Bad Boys for Life UHD Blu-ray, when Will Smith and Joe Pantaliano's characters are sitting watching a neighborhood basketball game and whenever the players move quickly in front of them, the screen distorts into a blurry "breakup" that almost looks like bad pixelation. This also happens on the Joker UHD Blu, whenever a Gotham train rushes by the screen, causing the extreme blurry distortion I'm describing.

I thought that maybe it's something in the way that Blur Reduction is interacting with Judder Reduction on their sliders, being that I have been told that at a certain point on these scales, the two "frequencies" the Blur and Judder Reduction are supposed to be affecting begin affecting one another (but I can't confirm that). I don't watch any content outside of 24fps film (so low frame rate) on this HDMI input that uses the AMP settings, so I don't know why Blur Reduction -- which is supposed to work on HIGH FRAME RATE content only -- would come into play here, but is it remotely possible that this high setting of "10" for Blur is somehow messing with the Judder setting?

I have the 65" Q95T. Personally I am not a fan of rtings recommended settings. The settings I use for all content is below. I realise that they are likely not the most accurate settings, but they work for me.

Standard preset
Brightness: SDR content = adjust according to your room; HDR content = 50
Contrast: 50
Color: 25
Tint: 0
Picture Clarity settings: default/auto
Local Dimming: SDR content = Standard; HDR content = High (this setting is critical - only use High for HDR content)
Contrast Enhancer: SDR content = Off; HDR content = High
Color Tone: Warm1
Shadow Detail: -1
Color Space: Native

Note: Local Dimming set to High for SDR content results in massive blooming. I'm willing to bet that the people here that have blooming issues have this setup incorrectly. This applies to Game Mode as well.

Game Mode:
I find that engaging Game Motion Plus (Blur: 0, Judder reduction: 1) dramatically improves Local Dimming for this mode. It does affect Gamma however, and you will likely need to adjust it to brighten the picture.

Hope these settings help.

This is how I arrived at my motion settings, 99% of what I watch are movies and shows shot in 24p so my settings might not be applicable if you’re watching mostly DirectTV. I would say just play around with judder and see what looks good to you without SOE, I’ve seen other poster mention they prefer judder at 3-5 so try it out.
Thanks for the feedback. I've played with it some more. I've decided a judder of 2 maybe 3 is what I might be able to tolerate. SOE quickly picks up to me, but going to 1 or less makes the picture very pixelated and jerky with any movement. Sometimes the picture looks vibrant and great, and sometimes it looks a little grainy and washed out. Do you know if the Sony X900 or X950 have these issues? I might rather live with other issues than this one. Hopefully I can figure it out before my return window runs out.

I have the 65" Q95T. Personally I am not a fan of rtings recommended settings. The settings I use for all content is below. I realise that they are likely not the most accurate settings, but they work for me.

Local Dimming: SDR content = Standard; HDR content = High (this setting is critical - only use High for HDR content)

Note: Local Dimming set to High for SDR content results in massive blooming. I'm willing to bet that the people here that have blooming issues have this setup incorrectly. This applies to Game Mode as well.

Game Mode:
I find that engaging Game Motion Plus (Blur: 0, Judder reduction: 1) dramatically improves Local Dimming for this mode. It does affect Gamma however, and you will likely need to adjust it to brighten the picture.

Thanks! I'll try this out. I'm still not quite sold on my settings. Sometimes it looks great and other times it looks washed out and grainy. Did you consider a Sony X900 or X950 before getting the Q? I'm wondering if they handle motion better. So far I feel like my X900e had a better picture.

Thanks! I'll try this out. I'm still not quite sold on my settings. Sometimes it looks great and other times it looks washed out and grainy. Did you consider a Sony X900 or X950 before getting the Q? I'm wondering if they handle motion better. So far I feel like my X900e had a better picture.
The Samsung Q95T was the only choice in my eyes. Incredible contrast ratio (~11000:1) with Local Dimming engaged, 1700 nits peak brightness, HDMI 2.1, great motion and Game Mode features. The black levels are vastly superior to the above-mentioned Sony models (I only ever notice blooming with Game Mode engaged) - though I concede that Sony handles motion better than Samsung.

Standard preset

Game Mode:

Does using contrast enhancer to high when viewing HDR not completely blow out the highlights and basically destroy the contrast in dark / dimly lit scenes?

7,021 - 7,040 of 13,793 Posts