AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1935 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I could purchase the 85" Q90T or the 82" Q90R for the same price and I do not play any games on my TV but use subtitles almost always, which one would you go for?
I think the Q90R has overall better contrast and peak brightness but still has significant blooming for subtitles which would be distracting.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Its very rare someone does a head to head test from a old model to a new model, because the old model is done.....
But Vincent just did one with the C9 and CX. It's possible he will do the same with the Q90R and Q90T. Looking forward to his 90T review in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to his review of one of the 8K sets as an earlier poster wonder if the value added is worth the price jump.

·
Registered
510 Posts
But Vincent just did one with the C9 and CX. It's possible he will do the same with the Q90R and Q90T. Looking forward to his 90T review in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to his review of one of the 8K sets as an earlier poster wonder if the value added is worth the price jump.

Saw this comment on rtings from someone that owns both the Q90T and the Q90R.

“Perhaps Rtings reviewed an especially bad 90T? I’ve gone through two QN55Q90Ts, and both had much cleaner panels than my QN65Q90R and QN75Q90R. My 90T appears brighter than the my 90Rs as well, specifically when I’m using it as a monitor. I’ve found annoying dust flecks inside my 90Ts (and various 80Ts) that block 4-6 pixels, though.”

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/Td8MXwyMxobOskDu/panel-variance

After seeing the Q80T I know I would be very happy with that over my KS8000. I am tempted by the Q80/90T but I really don’t need a new TV. Just want one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: venus933

·
Registered
23 Posts
Folks, "Night on Earth" is this TV's best showcase for deep black color. This series really shows this sets impressive capabilities.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My tv froze up on me today again so I decided to update the firmware via usb to 1115 from 1113 instead of waiting for the tv to pick it up. So far the menus do feel snappier to respond to buttons so I hope my tv just needed a reset of some kind. Since I had a new firmware I ran the gears 5 test to make sure I didn't have any inverse ghosting and I'm happy to report I still don't see any.

My hdmi2 issue is getting more annoying. I've found that my tv seems to just want to switch to hdmi 2 (which still has nothing plugged into it) all the time. For instance if I'm playing a game on another input and I toggle game mode on/off to look at pq settings it will automatically switch to hdmi2. Still wondering if this is some weird tizen thing....

Still very happy with the PQ in sdr/hdr video.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How does the tv handle against a starspace like in Gravity or Interstellar? Has anyone tried this in and outside of game mode?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do we know how this new algorithm for this TV actually works? AFAIK, the underlying technology has not changed, its still a FALD, although a FALD with fewer zones than last year. But still with a picture that is either on par or better than the Q90R. And at a lower price. And since FALD LCD isn't exactly new, it feel somewhat strange if Samsung figured out some game changer this year for a mid range TV (based on prices for all models including 8K). Altogether it seems like an impossible combination :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Do we know how this new algorithm for this TV actually works? AFAIK, the underlying technology has not changed, its still a FALD, although a FALD with fewer zones than last year. But still with a picture that is either on par or better than the Q90R. And at a lower price. And since FALD LCD isn't exactly new, it feel somewhat strange if Samsung figured out some game changer this year for a mid range TV (based on prices for all models including 8K). Altogether it seems like an impossible combination :)

You can either watch some of the videos from HDTVTest that talk about the new dimming algorithm or go see it for yourself. Some reviews have written about it. I’ve seen it and was impressed. You may be or you may not be. Why take someone else’s word for it when you obviously don’t seem convinced.

Reactions: denpom

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have seen several reviews and videos mention it but non that has explained how. Perhaps you can link to one that does?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
not tried those but I thought First Man looked fantastic for what it's worth
I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night in 4K HDR and it was ridiculously good. The blacks were pitch black, no clouding, no blooming. Even the subtitles didn’t cause blooming. Not sure what they’ve done to the algorithm this year, but they did a damn good job.

·
Registered
510 Posts
A number of reviews have mentioned the changes to the dimming algorithm this year with some going into more detail than others. HDTVTest had a good video review of the Q80T explaining what changed with the dimming algorithm. Vincent also did a comparison to a Sony and talked more about it. At one point Vincent mentions speaking with Samsung about the algorithm now being able to detect objects on screen such as subtitles. He shows that it also interfered with some of his tests but that it works well with actual content.

Reactions: denpom

·
Registered
48 Posts
not tried those but I thought First Man looked fantastic for what it's worth
I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night in 4K HDR and it was ridiculously good. The blacks were pitch black, no clouding, no blooming. Even the subtitles didn’️t cause blooming. Not sure what they’️ve done to the algorithm this year, but they did a damn good job.
Definitely one to rewatch when I get my replacement in. What a gorgeous film!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should still be able to use 10 bit 4:4:4 on the Samsung... I wonder why it won’t let you.
I don’t believe I said that, what I was saying is I’m able to do 10 bit @ 4:4:4 on the Samsung, it’s that I struggle to see the difference from what I had prior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys I just got stupid lucky. I got an open box Q90T 65 at my best but for 1400 plus a 200 gift card. I have some questions on how to test if it’s a good panel. Can anyone tell me what to look for as physically it looks brand new but I don’t know how to check if it’s working good with my Xbox or tv quality picture. Any help so I can test this out would be great.

741 - 760 of 1935 Posts