AVS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1847 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well my first Q80T was perfectly clean, as was my 2nd Q90T, until after about 2-3 weeks. I thought it was my environment until I noticed replacement sets arriving with contaminants.

If your set is a few weeks old already and has passed a pixel test, you should be fine. Since yours was from a boutique, it sounds like there's just a panel lottery. I'll try more sets until the vendors cut me off. Most seem to be running low on Q90T 55s anyway; perhaps a new batch is on the way.
What happened to the 2nd Q90T that developed problems? What were the problems, if you don’t mind me asking?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Anyone wall mounted their TV? Looking for a recommendation for a slim mount for this TV. Wish the no gap mounts were still an option, but anything that would give a similar look?

The Sanus VLT16 is the slimmest mount on the market and holds 125 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got it from a local dealer called Peak Audio. I can't believe how many times you've had to exchange it! That sucks! Guess I got lucky.... For now. Lol
Well my first Q80T was perfectly clean, as was my 2nd Q90T, until after about 2-3 weeks. I thought it was my environment until I noticed replacement sets arriving with contaminants.

If your set is a few weeks old already and has passed a pixel test, you should be fine. Since yours was from a boutique, it sounds like there's just a panel lottery. I'll try more sets until the vendors cut me off. Most seem to be running low on Q90T 55s anyway; perhaps a new batch is on the way.
Orrrrrrr..... You could get the 65"? 😉

·
Registered
32 Posts
What happened to the 2nd Q90T that developed problems? What were the problems, if you don’t mind me asking?
A contaminant appeared under the glass, in the top left quadrant of the screen, after a few weeks of use. I noticed it on one of my frequent pixel tests. I thought it was a dead pixel, but when I inspected it on 10x zoom, I saw it was irregular, not rectangular, and the underlying pixels were fine. The speck made about 4-6 pixels appear black or grey, since it blocked light from the pixels behind it. I randomly tapped the screen for a week and finally got the speck to move, but it just dropped down about 12" to the bottom left quadrant (pictures of it are in this thread).

This is the set I'm currently using, actually. The first Q90T I bought arrived with 1 speck already, and the third Q90T direct from Samsung arrived with 3 specks, blocking about 12 pixels.

I've had so many bad sets I don't even fully unbox them now. I just pull the panel, put them on the floor, and aim their web browsers at a pixel tester.

I've noticed that the dust specks on the protective screen film appear the same as the dust specks under the glass, the permanent, insoluble ones. I think Samsung just doesn't have a clean manufacturing facility, or the specks are sneaking into the sets during shipping. The sets are not air-tight, I heard from a Samsung repair technician.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Orrrrrrr..... You could get the 65"? 😉
Indeed. I already have a 65" Q90R to my left for my consoles, streaming, and a 2nd monitor. The 55" Q90T is my main monitor. I never intended to go that big, but I couldn't get a clean 49" Q80T and thought the dust issue might be limited to the cheaper panels.

A 55" Q90T is glorious as a monitor, since I get all the high-end technologies: 120 Hz, 600/1000+ nits in SDR/HDR, HDMI 2.1 on port 4, game mode, etc. At this size, I don't even need to zoom into 1920x1080 remote desktops. I had to mount the TV on my wall and buy a 30" deep desk to get the right viewing distance, though. Admittedly the PPI at 4K is a tad low, so I could see upgrading to an 8K 55" in the future.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This video is very interesting for those of you wondering about hdmi 2.1 and the 48gbps. Lots of people are screaming bloody murder about Samsung Q90T and LG oleds not having "true" hdmi 2.1 and only hdmi 2.0 with 2.1 features. This puts it in perspective a little. Side note... Loving that the new Denon will support HDR 10 plus (like the Q90T) and all the latest features for the next Gen gaming. Might sell my Sony DN1080 for this as I think it will play better with my Q90T. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/rljCERSjT3Y

·
Registered
473 Posts
I grabbed both the q90t and the CX 65" I see that you mentioned the GX however, so I'm curious if there was an increase w/ the Brightness on it as that'd give me a reason to grab one to take a 2nd look. I took the CX back mainly because in areas that didn't have much dark areas I could see the diff on the qled over it, where some parts felt like it was just dim in comparison while in others were nearly equal, granted I had Contrast/OLED turned up to max for mine + dynamic, and my main reasoning was in SDR games as I've yet to dabble in the HDR area since none of mine support it yet (or probably ever will )

I use mine for a PC monitor though, and while it was a gorgeous display there was an issue where it would detect gamut incorrectly in PC mode and set it to standard vs wide for w/e reason resulting in washed out colors. Netflix was was pretty close though so I do agree there, I didn't realize the GX's were out so appreciate the tidbit on that., will check them out, and nothing wrong w/ asking since plenty of people around that have swapped back and forth on panels I'm sure, since in the end its w/e you end up being happy to live with.

Perhaps this isn't the best place for OLED discussions but AFAIK the GX is the same as CX with regards to PQ. Maybe that it receives the "better panels" buts that's just me guessing. Overall I would not expect a difference in PQ.

Comparing with PC is always tricky since so much is dependent on getting the correct settings. Especially if you try out HDR without getting it to work you might end up with a really bad image even in SDR (seems like the PC gets stuck somewhere in between SDR and HDR). That why I also tried out with built in YT and Netflix players to minimize problems with settings.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would love to hear what you have to say about both...... No one respond to his post unless you have owned both like he has !! ;)
The short version is that the difference is much smaller than I recall it from being a few years ago. As most of you know, it used to be that OLEDs meant inky blacks, infinite contrast and really good viewing angles but a quite low brightness, QLED on the other hand meant more brightness, "pop" combined with quite narrow viewing angles and blacks that were not as good.

I found the Q95T to stand up well in typical OLED strengths but at the expense of typical QLED strengths (brightness seem to be lower this year as well as contrast). The problem is that with a similar picture "personality" as well as a similar price, you have to compare them head to head and in that I found the GX to come out on top. Which isn't really that strange as Samsung seem to be pushing hard for 8K this year and naturally would have to downgrade the 4K ones as there would be zero reason to get 8K TVs if not.

This video sums up my experience quite well (not my video, he has a few others like it on the same topic)

Please remember that these are just my personal opinions, and that I am far from any kind of AV professional even though I would like to think I know more than the typical Average Joe. You opinions and needs might be different from mine in favor of one or the other. Also please remember that my opinions is based on what I see with my eyes, not measurements etc. Also note that neither of the TVs where calibrated and never will be, as I generally prefer an image with more "impact" than what is usually considered to be correct, so I am not a picture purist sitting in a pitch black room with a dim screen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I received a 65” Q90T yesterday hoping for the best and I got the worst. The TV has extremely distracting DSE. I see what looks like the vertical grid array on camera pans. I even see a bit of horizontal banding. This is almost the same result I had when I tried the Q80R a few months back.

However, even if the uniformity was perfect, this tv would still be returned due to the very distracting and embarrassingly awful inverse ghosting/overshoot! Didn’t have this on the Q8DT from Costco but still returned that one due to other QC issues. The Q90 is boxed up and ready to go back.

Here is a brief video of the issue. All I can hope to add to get to the bottom of this is this panel ghosting is that this panel is an FA02 where the Q8DT with no ghosting was an AA01 or AB01.

After this set, I am done with Samsung TVs for the foreseeable future. Don’t care to try any more. In my eyes, the Q90T is far from any sort of flagship and cannot compete with top tier sets from some other manufacturers. The panel had scratches and tons of dust and debris on the back. Feels like a rush job.Every single set of theirs I’ve tried over the last four years has been returned. From QC issues, downgrades, unimpressive performance, firmware issues and lack of a Dolby Vision among other things.

Good luck to the rest of you guys still in the hunt and those happy with their sets, more power to you. That is a great feeling. I will still monitor this thread from time to time for developments.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So I received a 65” Q90T yesterday hoping for the best and I got the worst. The TV has extremely distracting DSE. I see what looks like the vertical grid array on camera pans. I even see a bit of horizontal banding. This is almost the same result I had when I tried the Q80R a few months back.

However, even if the uniformity was perfect, this tv would still be returned due to the very distracting and embarrassingly awful inverse ghosting/overshoot! Didn’️t have this on the Q8DT from Costco but still returned that one due to other QC issues. The TV is boxed up and ready to go back.

Here is a brief video of the issue. All I can hope to add to get to the bottom of this is this panel ghosting is that this panel is an FA02 where the Q8DT with no ghosting was an AA01 or AB01.

After this set, I am done with Samsung TVs for the foreseeable future. Don’️t care to try any more. In my eyes, the Q90T is far from any sort of flagship and cannot compete with top tier sets from some other manufacturers. Every single set of theirs I’️ve tried over the last four years has been returner . From QC issues, downgrades, unimpressive performance, firmware issues and lack of a Dolby Vision among other things.

Good luck to the rest of you guys still in the hunt and those happy with their sets, more power to you. That is a great feeling. I will still monitor this thread from time to time for developments.
Sorry to hear. With the money we spend on these flagship tv's these issues shouldn't be as common as being reported. I feel like I got really lucky with my set so far. DSE on my set is what I would call a "normal amount" of it. Nothing major. Maybe this year is a letdown for TVs in general. I got lucky with mine but had I waited and read all these things I would of held out to see what 2021 brings. That being said... I'm very happy with my Q90T.

·
Registered
373 Posts
@Ether Strike

It's good what you reported about your ghosting on FA02 65" panel. We might now know that it's a "bad" panel on the 90T model that is the issue with the ghosting. The other AA01/AB01 doesn't have the issue it seems.

·
Registered
67 Posts
@Ether Strike

It's good what you reported about your ghosting on FA02 65" panel. We might now know that it's a "bad" panel on the 90T model that is the issue with the ghosting. The other AA01/AB01 doesn't have the issue it seems.
Indeed. I still remember panel shenanigans in the KS8000 era. I’d love if a trend could be discovered, especially considering I’ve experienced both ghosting and non ghosting sets.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a similar issue regarding a grid like DSE pattern on my 65” Q95T. I believe it corresponds to the LED array. I’m expecting a call soon from a Samsung case manager to have it exchanged.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Has this review ever been posted? It's the Q95T but my understanding it's the same as the Q90T but with the one connect box. According to Steve Withers it has a 8 bit panel but he doesn't think it detracts from PQ performance.

Samsung Q95T (QE55Q95T) QLED 4K TV Review

·
Registered
67 Posts
How do we check what kind of panel we have?
So for that you can either check the label on the side of the box. It should be there under “Version”. It should also be on the sticker on the back of the TV itself but I can’t check for sure since it’s packed up!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Honestly, I don’️t understand the hatred of the Q80T and Q90T. There are forum members on these threads, the Nano threads (yes, Nanocells are objectively bad) and others who go all out to say just how bad these various TVs are. A lot of these people don’️t even own the TV. They come from OLED or Sony LCD threads and it’️s just a boggles my mind. Why come into an owner’️s thread if you don’️t own the TV? To make you feel better about another comparable TV you bought? GTFOH!

881 - 900 of 1847 Posts