AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 2258 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
As well as Prime, Disney Plus, and other sources. I feel HDR is kind of broken all the way around, and I wish Samsung would have built more adjustment tools (like some other manufacturers) for us to better compensate for these issues.

On my Q90R, I typically have to crank the gamma up to 3, CH to high, and LD to high to compensate for the "way too dark" HDR titles.
You don't use dynamic mode for HDR? I found "dark" titles like Daredevil unwatchable otherwise on my Q90Rs.

I run all my panels in dynamic, anyway. My Q90T is the only panel that seems bright enough not to need it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi everyone, I just joined AVSforum even though I follow the site since 2016. I ordered a Q90T today and next week I'll pick up the TV to replace my KS7000 (still a great piece of hardware in my opinion). I'm looking forward to share my thoughts with you!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi everyone, I just joined AVSforum even though I follow the site since 2016. I ordered a Q90T today and next week I'll pick up the TV to replace my KS7000 (still a great piece of hardware in my opinion). I'm looking forward to share my thoughts with you!
Sweet! Welcome to the club my friend! Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I am!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sweet! Welcome to the club my friend! Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I am!
I'm definitely enjoying mine but I will say bias lights are a good choice in a completely dark room especially with HDR, you will notice blooming even with bias lighting under those circumstances. SDR blacks are very very good though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Those running Q soundbars, what configuration are you using for best sound? Currently running HDMI cable through HDMI Out on soundbar into ARC port on the TV. And is there a specific setting on the Xbox One X to better take advantage of the speakers?
Make sure that you have eArc set to Auto and not off. Make sure you have Digital Audio Output set to Pass-Through. Then the soundbar, not the TV, will decode even devices connected to the TVs HDMI ports. This allows bitstreaming Dolby without audio delays or lip sync problems on all available ports, on the soundbar and the TV. PS4 defaults to linear PCM. I can change it to Dolby or DTS, which I recommend. Any PCM will sound worse.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Read one of those initial reviews explaining how Samsung told them the there is an ATSC 3.0 tuner in the Q90T. Anyone able to verify this yet?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Read one of those initial reviews explaining how Samsung told them the there is an ATSC 3.0 tuner in the Q90T. Anyone able to verify this yet?
I looked into this at an earlier time, according to Samsung's web site the Q90T does not have the ATSC 3.0 tuner. You would need to move up to the Q800T.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Question... I have a 5.1 surround set up. In the Q90T sound options where you can choose between pcm, auto or pass-through I have it set to auto. When I play a dolby atmos movie it shows exactly that on the receiver but as I said I'm not set up for atmos (I'm doing 5.1) if I put the option to pass-through instead the receiver shows the sound now coming out in Dolby true Hd. I'm curious what you guys with a 5.1 surround sound have your tv sound option set at? Would it be better on pass through to get Dolby true hd? Or leave it on auto and get dolby atmos even though I have no ceiling speakers...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello,

How are the black levels ? And compared to and OLED ?

Cheers

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hello,

How are the black levels ? And compared to and OLED ?

Cheers

Surprisingly good for being an LCD but if you compare it side by side with an OLED you will definately see the difference in black levels (and to some extent blooming). Its just impossible for a FALD TV to match no matter how good it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congratulations. Please let me know how it goes. I like to hear people are getting good sets.

I have a 55Q90T version FB04 arriving tomorrow from ABT, a big electronics retailer in Chicago. They said their newest stock from Samsung doesn't include any AA01s. :cool:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Would it be better on pass through to get Dolby true hd? Or leave it on auto and get dolby atmos even though I have no ceiling speakers...
I would leave it on pass through as that will give you the original correct audio format of what's playing. I suppose that leaving it on auto tries to map whatever audio comes in to Dolby Atmos.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You don't use dynamic mode for HDR? I found "dark" titles like Daredevil unwatchable otherwise on my Q90Rs.

I run all my panels in dynamic, anyway. My Q90T is the only panel that seems bright enough not to need it.
A toned down dynamic mode would work okay for me on probably most HDR titles, but the gamma control is grayed out, and I need it for the really dark stuff, like Bosch on Prime (HDR10+). Also, dynamic mode is locked on the "cool" color temperature which I sometimes like, but prefer "Standard" overall.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Question... I have a 5.1 surround set up. In the Q90T sound options where you can choose between pcm, auto or pass-through I have it set to auto. When I play a dolby atmos movie it shows exactly that on the receiver but as I said I'm not set up for atmos (I'm doing 5.1) if I put the option to pass-through instead the receiver shows the sound now coming out in Dolby true Hd. I'm curious what you guys with a 5.1 surround sound have your tv sound option set at? Would it be better on pass through to get Dolby true hd? Or leave it on auto and get dolby atmos even though I have no ceiling speakers...
Technically Atmos is metadata for Dolby True HD. The Atmos part has to do with height. If the system doesn’t simulate this and you aren’t set up for it, my guess is the audio is the same regardless of what your receiver says. Does one setting sound better? If not, I wouldn’t worry to much about it. I think it’s the same.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Would it be better on pass through to get Dolby true hd? Or leave it on auto and get dolby atmos even though I have no ceiling speakers...
I would leave it on pass through as that will give you the original correct audio format of what's playing. I suppose that leaving it on auto tries to map whatever audio comes in to Dolby Atmos.
Thank you for the reply. That's what I will do. 👍

·
Registered
186 Posts
Technically Atmos is metadata for Dolby True HD. The Atmos part has to do with height. If the system doesn’t simulate this and you aren’t set up for it, my guess is the audio is the same regardless of what your receiver says. Does one setting sound better? If not, I wouldn’t worry to much about it. I think it’s the same.
Got it. Thank you 🙂

·
Vendor
27,124 Posts
Surprisingly good for being an LCD but if you compare it side by side with an OLED you will definately see the difference in black levels (and to some extent blooming). Its just impossible for a FALD TV to match no matter how good it is.
That is true, but LED is way cheaper and some are paranoid about burn in.... Good to have options for sure.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is true, but LED is way cheaper and some are paranoid about burn in.... Good to have options for sure.
Not sure about pricing in the US but at least in my market (Europe) a Q95T costs slightly more than a OLED GX in the same size. And the 8K TVs like 950TS is twich the price. If that is still worth it I let other decide :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
My tone of this TV has been a roller coaster ride but I think I'm the highest as I've ever been on this TV for gaming, Ive been playing at a 1440p 120hz signal on my Xbox One X and its looking just as good as 4K even though we got no games actually running at 120fps its a nice low input lag inverse ghosting free experience, input lag is close to 6ms playing like this. (note: you have to be using the other HDMI ports for this you can't use the 2.1 port for 1440p 120hz, because the 2.1 port only allows 120hz at 1080p for devices that aren't 2.1)

I am highly confident that HDMI 2.1 consoles doing 4k 120hz is going to be a really low input lag ghosting free experience with or without VRR regardless of what the frame rate of the game actually is as long as were on the 120hz signal we should be fine.

so far here's what I found testing through xbox one x:

1080p 60hz - Inverse Ghosting
1440p 60hz - Inverse Ghosting
4k 60hz - Inverse Ghosting

1080p 120hz - No problems
1440p 120hz - No problems
4K 120hz - Can't test so I don't know

If this TV lets us game on next gen at 120hz at 4k with no ghosting like it does at every other resolution at 120hz then we have no issues, and for the switch or previous gen consoles just put on game motion plus which I recommend anyway for 30 fps games. Im really happy with this TV, other than the inverse ghosting so remove that and we got the best tv for gaming in HDR for 2020 IMO.

941 - 960 of 2258 Posts