AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 2174 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for some help. I read through most of the thread and couldn't find an answer.

Few issues i'm running into:
Just got my 75'' in and got everything hooked up but the VRR and Freesync options on my Xbox one X are grayed out... is there anything specific i need to do to enable this?

I have all my devices connected to an Onkyo receiver and my reciever connected into port 4 (game) on the TV, and using high throughput 48gbps HDMI cables. i've also noticed that the TV does not recognize the devices i have hooked up to the receiver, only my FireTV. When i switch over to the xbox, it doesn't automatically put it in game mode which i figured it would. i have to manually turn it on and off...

Last issue, is their any way to utilize eARC with my receiver? or do i have to plug the Xbox directly into port 4 and my receiver into the eARC port? I'd prefer not to do that since i'd like to use my surround sound for gaming.

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looking for some help. I read through most of the thread and couldn't find an answer.

Few issues i'm running into:

Just got my 75'' in and got everything hooked up but the VRR and Freesync options on my Xbox one X are grayed out... is there anything specific i need to do to enable this?

I have all my devices connected to an Onkyo receiver and my reciever connected into port 4 (game) on the TV, and using high throughput 48gbps HDMI cables. i've also noticed that the TV does not recognize the devices i have hooked up to the receiver, only my FireTV. When i switch over to the xbox, it doesn't automatically put it in game mode which i figured it would. i have to manually turn it on and off...

Last issue, is their any way to utilize eARC with my receiver? or do i have to plug the Xbox directly into port 4 and my receiver into the eARC port? I'd prefer not to do that since i'd like to use my surround sound for gaming.

Appreciate any help.

You receiver does not support vrr passthrough. You only need 18gbps cables for the Xbox one x anyway. You will need a new receiver that doesn’t exist right now with hdmi 2.1 to use freesync. The new denons coming out can do this on all ports but only one port is 4k120hz capable.

You can use HDMI 4 for your console and use hdmi 1 and 2 for your other devices and then run a cable from hdmi 3 to your arc input on your receiver as another option. I tried a mixed setup some devices using arc and others through the receiver and had too many issues with the tv because it assumes if you have arc enabled hdmi 3 is audio on and does some wonky input changing so I don’t advise that.

Personally once you have something not directly connected to the tv like through a receiver relying on cec is a pain. I’d recommend using something like a Logitech Harmony over cec. Cec works great for simple setups but I’m not a fan of using it with proper sound systems.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You receiver does not support vrr passthrough. You only need 18gbps cables for the Xbox one x anyway. You will need a new receiver that doesn’t exist right now with hdmi 2.1 to use freesync. The new denons coming out can do this on all ports but only one port is 4k120hz capable.

You can use HDMI 4 for your console and use hdmi 1 and 2 for your other devices and then run a cable from hdmi 3 to your arc input on your receiver as another option. I tried a mixed setup some devices using arc and others through the receiver and had too many issues with the tv because it assumes if you have arc enabled hdmi 3 is audio on and does some wonky input changing so I don’t advise that.

Personally once you have something not directly connected to the tv like through a receiver relying on cec is a pain. I’d recommend using something like a Logitech Harmony over cec. Cec works great for simple setups but I’m not a fan of using it with proper sound systems.
Not sure about this. You could plug the Xbox into the TVs HDMI port. Select pass-through on the TV for HDMI connected devices. The receiver will still decode audio, but the TV should allow VRR.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not sure about this. You could plug the Xbox into the TVs HDMI port. Select pass-through on the TV for HDMI connected devices. The receiver will still decode audio, but the TV should allow VRR.

That was my second option listed, however if you do this for just the Xbox and have the other devices hooked up to the receiver my tv would auto switch off hdmi 3 expecting that to be audio only. Talked to a few levels of Samsung chat and they explained this was a feature because I had arc enabled. I could manually switch back but it was too annoying to deal with. I had cec disabled on my denon receiver and all media devices to confirm it was the tv. If you have all devices hooked up to the tv it works great but your limited to 3 ports with the fourth being used for arc.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I just unboxed an 55" Q90T version FB04 with at least 8 bad pixels. I've tried four Q90Ts so far (and I've tried six 49" Q80Ts, all of which had defects). /forum/images/smilies/mad.gif
And you can notice them at your viewing distance with content.

When are retailers going to wise up and stop selling TVs to you? Obviously TV manufacturers are not up to your standards.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just unboxed an 55" Q90T version FB04 with at least 8 bad pixels. I've tried four Q90Ts so far (and I've tried six 49" Q80Ts, all of which had defects). /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
Wow talk about bad luck! You need to go sacrifice a lamb or chicken... Something! The God's are angry with you. 😂

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I'm using the panels as a monitor, so I'm closer to them than typical and viewing solid backgrounds. With variegated content the defects aren't noticeable.

Obviously TV manufacturers are not up to your standards.
I keep thinking I'm just one return away from a good set, especially when I read success stories in this forum. But yes it's a nonstarter.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
No, just Samsung in 2020. They're shipping panels with obvious defects.

I keep thinking I'm just one return away from a good set, especially when I read success stories in this forum. But yes it's a nonstarter.
I wonder if you won't run into the same issue with other LCD TV manufacturers. None of them make their VA panels directly right??? (except for TCL) and the same will even be true for Samsung next year.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

When are retailers going to wise up and stop selling TVs to you? Obviously TV manufacturers are not up to your standards.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the retailers in his area boarded up their store. Not for the looters, but for this guy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder if you won't run into the same issue with other LCD TV manufacturers. None of them make their VA panels directly right??? (except for TCL) and the same will even be true for Samsung next year.
I believe Samsung outsources all their panels, at least according to Rtings.

I haven't seen a single dead or stuck pixel; the panels per se are fine, there's just dust under the glass.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I believe Samsung outsources all their panels, at least according to Rtings.

I haven't seen a single dead or stuck pixel; the panels per se are fine, there's just dust under the glass.

Wow that’s quite unfortunate about the dust! From what I hear (I could be wrong), Samsung outsourced all of their 4K panels this year (I’m curious to which Chinese companies), but the 8K lines are still from Samsung Display.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if the retailers in his area boarded up their store. Not for the looters, but for this guy.
What's wrong with returning defective sets, as long as the vendors allow and there's a chance of success? Perhaps Samsung needs to see a mass grave of panels before they look at their manufacturing process.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
What's wrong with returning defective sets, as long as the vendors allow and there's a chance of success? Perhaps Samsung needs to see a mass grave of panels before they look at their manufacturing process.

Pick another product. It’s a mathematical impossibility to get 10 defective TV sets in a row. Ive been guilty of returning a few myself when I returned 5 q9fn that all had atrocious DSE among many other severe issues that for some strange reason were not mentioned in the reviews such as washed out game mode, flat sdr colors, etc. Ppl that were justifying their purchase and were in denial and were claiming that their q9fn has zero dse had me wondering if I just had awful luck, so i kept trying. But the truth of the matter is, if you go through several panels and still have the same issue, it’s not a defect but rather a flaw of the specific model.

·
Registered
28 Posts
New update on next gen gaming on the Q90T and inverse ghosting.

Thank you for everyone who has helped me answer questions about this TV as well as eased my mind a bit and encouraged me to keep digging on the issue, this community is great!

I posted up a new video showing off inverse ghosting as a still image and slow-mo as well as a ways to game without inverse ghosting, also went over why I think HDMI 2.1 signals outputting to 120hz on next gen will be an inverse ghosting free experience.

I know a lot of people are worried I myself included I was really worried but after my latest tests and discoveries along with other users feedbacks I am super confident that gaming in next generation will be awesome on the Q90T should be a inverse ghosting free experience along with having the full use of VRR @ 120hz and at really low 6ms response time. So even if your playing a 30fps title as long as 120hz output is selected you should have no issues.

Gaming @ 60hz output will still produce inverse ghosting so its recommended to be either outside game mode or in game motion plus, but I will say there a lot of games where you just don't notice inverse ghosting at all. FPS and 3rd person games with a lot of camera movement is where you will see it especially ones in darker environments. Hopefully Samsung does fix this but if they don't I'm not too worried since next gen consoles will be at a 120hz signal output all the time.

every 120hz signal I run through xbox one x no matter the resolution shows no inverse ghosting but every 60hz signal shows inverse ghosting, I hope this helps some people. If you wanna play 1440p 120hz right now on console you have to use one of the non HDMI 2.1 ports. So yeah if your not a big game motion plus fan and you got an xbox I recommend just setting your xbox to output 1440p 120hz its the best way to game until next gen comes out.

·
Vendor
27,066 Posts
Seeing there is no such thing as a perfect TV, you will run into issues with every model made.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pick another product. It’s a mathematical impossibility to get 10 defective TV sets in a row.
Fair point, thank you. I was thinking of trying one last set, a Q80R 55", given that Samsung 2019 didn't have the dust problem, but I'd lose 2.1 and some peak nits vis-a-vis my Q90T.

All this is a shame because the Q90T is a gorgeous set. If you have one, try turning on Retail mode.

961 - 980 of 2174 Posts