AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 2224 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Fair point, thank you. I was thinking of trying one last set, a Q80R 55", given that Samsung 2019 didn't have the dust problem, but I'd lose 2.1 and some peak nits vis-a-vis my Q90T.

All this is a shame because the Q90T is a gorgeous set. If you have one, try turning on Retail mode.
retail mode is 4 showroom,not 4 home use,wonder,why would someone do that!

·
Registered
137 Posts

Thank you for everyone who has helped me answer questions about this TV as well as eased my mind a bit and encouraged me to keep digging on the issue, this community is great!

I posted up a new video showing off inverse ghosting as a still image and slow-mo as well as a ways to game without inverse ghosting, also went over why I think HDMI 2.1 signals outputting to 120hz on next gen will be an inverse ghosting free experience.

I know a lot of people are worried I myself included I was really worried but after my latest tests and discoveries along with other users feedbacks I am super confident that gaming in next generation will be awesome on the Q90T should be a inverse ghosting free experience along with having the full use of VRR @ 120hz and at really low 6ms response time. So even if your playing a 30fps title as long as 120hz output is selected you should have no issues.

Gaming @ 60hz output will still produce inverse ghosting so its recommended to be either outside game mode or in game motion plus, but I will say there a lot of games where you just don't notice inverse ghosting at all. FPS and 3rd person games with a lot of camera movement is where you will see it especially ones in darker environments. Hopefully Samsung does fix this but if they don't I'm not too worried since next gen consoles will be at a 120hz signal output all the time.

every 120hz signal I run through xbox one x no matter the resolution shows no inverse ghosting but every 60hz signal shows inverse ghosting, I hope this helps some people. If you wanna play 1440p 120hz right now on console you have to use one of the non HDMI 2.1 ports. So yeah if your not a big game motion plus fan and you got an xbox I recommend just setting your xbox to output 1440p 120hz its the best way to game until next gen comes out.
I’ve been hearing this from multiple people as well. You send 120hz even though the game won’t be outputting and it solves the ghosting issue. Does anyone have a scientific reason for why this would fix it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone! New to the forum. I just got a Samsung Q90T and I am having an issue playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on this tv. The game dims after several minutes of play. Is there a way to disable it? Is there a secret service menu? Because it honestly makes the game unplayable for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone! New to the forum. I just got a Samsung Q90T and I am having an issue playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on this tv. The game dims after several minutes of play. Is there a way to disable it? Is there a secret service menu? Because it honestly makes the game unplayable for me. Thanks!
Set your local dimming to low or off. When the tv senses drastic changes in light, it dims the screen. Took a lot of trial and error to figure that out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pick another product. It’s a mathematical impossibility to get 10 defective TV sets in a row. Ive been guilty of returning a few myself when I returned 5 q9fn that all had atrocious DSE among many other severe issues that for some strange reason were not mentioned in the reviews such as washed out game mode, flat sdr colors, etc. Ppl that were justifying their purchase and were in denial and were claiming that their q9fn has zero dse had me wondering if I just had awful luck, so i kept trying. But the truth of the matter is, if you go through several panels and still have the same issue, it’s not a defect but rather a flaw of the specific model.
What sort of DSE did you see on the Q9FN? I’m returning my 65” Q95T because of severe DSE. The DSE manifests as a grid that I think corresponds to the LED array. It is horribly distracting and it makes certain games unplayable and most sports unwatchable. The absolute worst DSE I have ever seen. Shocked it got though quality control. Shame on Samsung for a $4000 television, not good enough.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What sort of DSE did you see on the Q9FN? I’m returning my 65” Q95T because of severe DSE. The DSE manifests as a grid that I think corresponds to the LED array. It is horribly distracting and it makes certain games unplayable and most sports unwatchable. The absolute worst DSE I have ever seen.
What you are seeing is not typical (all my Q90Ts were relatively clean).

You can compare your panel's uniformity against units reviewed on Rtings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure about this. You could plug the Xbox into the TVs HDMI port. Select pass-through on the TV for HDMI connected devices. The receiver will still decode audio, but the TV should allow VRR.
So i got my XB1X plugged directly into HDMI 4 and got it all to work. The only issue is it introduced some pretty bad audio lag. I tried adjusting the Digital Audio delay settings on the TV and that didn't help much at all. My receiver is set to Auto detect any lip sync issues but that also didn't help. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not sure about this. You could plug the Xbox into the TVs HDMI port. Select pass-through on the TV for HDMI connected devices. The receiver will still decode audio, but the TV should allow VRR.
So i got my XB1X plugged directly into HDMI 4 and got it all to work. The only issue is it introduced some pretty bad audio lag. I tried adjusting the Digital Audio delay settings on the TV and that didn't help much at all. My receiver is set to Auto detect any lip sync issues but that also didn't help. Any recommendations?
Just make sure Digital Audio Output on the TV is set to pass through. I had audio delay till I changed it. You won’t need to adjust delay. It should be synced up with pass through.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, this is been acting really weird. There was sound, but i had audio delay. then all of the sudden i had no sound. After a lot of messing around, i'm able to get sound now if I change the Xbox audio settings to not use Dolby atmos. I made sure the TV was set for pass through and i'm no longer getting any audio delay...but now I can't use dolby atmos settings on the Xbox...according to Rtings review it allows for Dolby Atmos pass through so i'm not sure why it would originally work (with audio lag) then all of the sudden quit working. Good news is i haven't experienced any of the Ghosting issues when i tested Gears 5 that others have seen.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok, this is been acting really weird. There was sound, but i had audio delay. then all of the sudden i had no sound. After a lot of messing around, i'm able to get sound now if I change the Xbox audio settings to not use Dolby atmos. I made sure the TV was set for pass through and i'm no longer getting any audio delay...but now I can't use dolby atmos settings on the Xbox...according to Rtings review it allows for Dolby Atmos pass through so i'm not sure why it would originally work (with audio lag) then all of the sudden quit working. Good news is i haven't experienced any of the Ghosting issues when i tested Gears 5 that others have seen.
Only thing I can think of is Atmos has to be bitstreamed. Is the Xbox set to bitstream? Or did the setting get switched?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only thing I can think of is Atmos has to be bitstreamed. Is the Xbox set to bitstream? Or did the setting get switched?
I have it set to bitstream. When i have the xbox plugged into my receiver atmos works fine (but i don't get VRR), it's when i try using earc it quits working. I know the TV supports it, when i'm in the expert sound settings theirs a dolby atmos button that i have selected which is says you need it to have it work...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just unboxed an 55" Q90T version FB04 with at least 8 bad pixels. I've tried four Q90Ts so far (and I've tried four 49" Q80Ts, all of which had defects). /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

In the picture, you'll see dust specks on the outside of the screen protector, on the inside face of the screen protector, and two amorphous specks actually under the glass.
Do you have X-ray vision? How can you tell the different layers of dust without removing the film? Also, since it’s white, I’m guessing you have it set to a white screen on vivid mode. Not surprised you’d find specks under that condition. You’d find them on every single tv you try that on. May I suggest using the TV for entertainment and buy a separate monitor? Could be the answer for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just unboxed an 55" Q90T version FB04 with at least 8 bad pixels. I've tried four Q90Ts so far (and I've tried four 49" Q80Ts, all of which had defects). /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

In the picture, you'll see dust specks on the outside of the screen protector, on the inside face of the screen protector, and two amorphous specks actually under the glass.
Do you have X-ray vision? How can you tell the different layers of dust without removing the film? Also, since it’s white, I’m guessing you have it set to a white screen on vivid mode. Not surprised you’d find specks under that condition. You’d find them on every single tv you try that on. May I suggest using the TV for entertainment and buy a separate monitor? Could be the answer for you.
I’d suggest him to stop, buy another TV brand, and stop bothering this thread.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have X-ray vision? How can you tell the different layers of dust without removing the film?
I peeled off the film.

Not surprised you’d find specks under that condition. You’d find them on every single tv you try that on.
Not on my 90Rs, 60Rs, or KS8000s at home. And the 60Rs and downlevel edge-lits I've checked at work. I don't think this situation is normal.

981 - 1000 of 2224 Posts