AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 2189 Posts

·
Vendor
27,075 Posts
I just unboxed an 55" Q90T version FB04 with at least 8 bad pixels. I've tried four Q90Ts so far (and I've tried four 49" Q80Ts, all of which had defects). :(

In the picture, you'll see dust specks on the outside of the screen protector, on the inside face of the screen protector, and two amorphous specks actually under the glass.
I am not sure if I have seen anyone with bad luck like that, the universe does not want you to own a Samsung, so what are you moving to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone seen a good test of the 85Q90T? I ask because most tests I've seen are of the 55 (Rtings) or occasionally 65. However Samsung themselves seem to say those sizes should not perform as well- "Direct Full Array" is 16X and "Quantum HDR" is 12X on the 55", while on the 85 it's 20X and 16X respectively. That suggests the 85 may perform relatively better vs the Q90R- perhaps more local dimming zones, etc... Or it could just be marketing.

Has anyone seen anything to suggest which either way?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Has anyone seen a good test of the 85Q90T? I ask because most tests I've seen are of the 55 (Rtings) or occasionally 65. However Samsung themselves seem to say those sizes should not perform as well- "Direct Full Array" is 16X and "Quantum HDR" is 12X on the 55", while on the 85 it's 20X and 16X respectively. That suggests the 85 may perform relatively better vs the Q90R- perhaps more local dimming zones, etc... Or it could just be marketing.

Has anyone seen anything to suggest which either way?

Someone asked them the question you are posting and yes I would agree that comparing a 55” Q90T to a 65” Q90R is not a fair comparison. For example the 55” model has Quantum HDR 12X instead of 16X on the 65” and above.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/ky7nM0Jnkjh0hdq1/differences-between-55-and-65-inch-model

Generally speaking, Direct Full Array corresponds to local dimming capability. Quantum HDR refers to brightness capabilities of the set. On the ABT website (a local retailer) they say:

Direct Full Array 16X:
Fine control of the lighting zones behind the screen further improves the richness of the blacks to whites.**
*75", 65", 55" Q90T models only. 85" model features Direct Full Array 20X
**Direct Full Array Numerical Index based on backlighting, antireflection and contrast enhancement technologies

Quantum HDR 16X:
Experience rich, accurate color, deeper contrast, and improved brightness so you can enjoy more breathtaking detail*. HDR10+ also can adjust color and contrast scene by scene, delivering a rich, dynamic, and realistic picture that feels like it is jumping off the screen
*The range of Quantum HDR claims luminance based on internal testing standards and is subject to change according to viewing environment or specific conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 55Q90t has 120 dimming zones and an 8bit + FRC panel according to Vincent of HDTV test.

The game mode has been fixed, way better than Q90R

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Finally installed my new Q90T 55' and after a few hours all I can say is WOW!
Really impressed so far even with the out the box settings, but I know I'm going to spend the rest of week/month calibrating the picture quality. Also, I'm glad the YouTube/Prime Video/Netflix apps runs much better than my previous KS7000.

Played some Dirt Rally 2.0 on X1X and it's like heaven, even if the game mode needs some tweaking and I need to understand what differences brings features such as VRR.

I like Tizen 5.0 but it's a bit of a pain to scroll to the settings section every-single-time. Too much options (who cares about AmbientMode and the app store!?) on the main section imo.

Any suggestion is welcomed! I already turned off ECO Solution and Anynet+ and updated with the last firmware (1115.5).

·
Registered
113 Posts

Really impressed so far even with the out the box settings, but I know I'm going to spend the rest of week/month calibrating the picture quality. Also, I'm glad the YouTube/Prime Video/Netflix apps runs much better than my previous KS7000.

Played some Dirt Rally 2.0 on X1X and it's like heaven, even if the game mode needs some tweaking and I need to understand what differences brings features such as VRR.

I like Tizen 5.0 but it's a bit of a pain to scroll to the settings section every-single-time. Too much options (who cares about AmbientMode and the app store!?) on the main section imo.

Any suggestion is welcomed! I already turned off ECO Solution and Anynet+ and updated with the last firmware (1115.5).

Here is a staring point:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q90t-qled/settings

·
Registered
184 Posts

Welcome to the club my friend. It's a great TV! Use that Rtings link someone posted for calibrations to get started. Good place to start.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad that Vincent’s review confirmed the Game mode Q90R / Q95T comparison image I posted a weeks back.

It’s a solid TV that certainly holds up well against the Q90R... and absolutely destroys it in Game mode as it turns out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all, all of the auto brightness and contrast settings are off. Intelligence and eco settings all disabled. However my TV still decides to auto dim itself and I really don’t understand why

Incredibly frustrated by auto global dimming and being unable to turn it off without going through hoops and degrading the picture. I bought this $1600 TV for gaming purposes and it feels useless.

For some reason the TV likes to dim itself when in dark scenes during gameplay. That makes absolutely no sense. If you change your Game console to PC it doesn’t happen, but the image looks washed out and you don’t have many settings unlocked to fix it.

It’s outrageous that no reviews I’ve ever read has brought this up. Ive seen now that this has been a ‘feature’ on Samsung TVs for several years. It used to be called CE Dimming. I’ve read it’s due to something called PWM, and if you go in the service menu, risking voiding your warranty and breaking the TV, you can change a few values to 100 to fix it. Really insane you have to do that. I don’t even know how to get into the service menu for the 2020 model
Samsung TVs I’ve searched but all the button combos are for older models.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Some reviews say it’s dimmer than the Q90r and others such as Vincent day it’s brighter. What’s the consensus? Anyone that had both TVs can tell me which one is brighter?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
First of all, all of the auto brightness and contrast settings are off. Intelligence and eco settings all disabled. However my TV still decides to auto dim itself and I really don’t understand why

Incredibly frustrated by auto global dimming and being unable to turn it off without going through hoops and degrading the picture. I bought this $1600 TV for gaming purposes and it feels useless.

For some reason the TV likes to dim itself when in dark scenes during gameplay. That makes absolutely no sense. If you change your Game console to PC it doesn’t happen, but the image looks washed out and you don’t have many settings unlocked to fix it.

It’s outrageous that no reviews I’ve ever read has brought this up. Ive seen now that this has been a ‘feature’ on Samsung TVs for several years. It used to be called CE Dimming. I’ve read it’s due to something called PWM, and if you go in the service menu, risking voiding your warranty and breaking the TV, you can change a few values to 100 to fix it. Really insane you have to do that. I don’t even know how to get into the service menu for the 2020 model
Samsung TVs I’ve searched but all the button combos are for older models.
The Q90T doesn't have global dimming (a.k.a. CE dimming). This particular model has Full Array Local Dimming. I'm not saying you're not having the issues you described but it's not because of global dimming.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How would this tv perform as a computer monitor?

I'm currently using a 27" LG 27GL850. 10 bit 144hz 1440p.

For gaming and productivity, can this replace my computer monitor?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
When some reviews say the Q90t reaches 1300 nits in movie mode and others say 1700 nits, I think we need a consensus.
The difference could be movie mode calibrated and movie mode not calibrated. More importantly is how judiciously those nits are used by the dimming algorithm.

1001 - 1020 of 2189 Posts