AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 2189 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Curious whether you all are still getting UHD and UHD HDR from the Amazon Prime VIdeo app?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Curious whether you all are still getting UHD and UHD HDR from the Amazon Prime VIdeo app?
I just tried a title and it was in UHD HDR on my LG. Are you referring to Amazon Prime in general or the app specific to the Q90T?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey quick question, while watching tv I get like a notification type sound and a blue type oozy type wave goes around the screen, what is this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice to see everything I’ve been saying about the Q90T and it being better looking than the Q90R game mode, overall brightness, and Darker better blacks

But it’s a huge downgrade right?

It’s just a better TV for gaming period.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Nice to see everything I’ve been saying about the Q90T and it being better looking than the Q90R game mode, overall brightness, and Darker better blacks

It’s not a downgrade. It’s an upgrade. To the Q80r. The tv that it replaces. Does it beat last years higher tier model, the Q90r? Maybe maybe not. Both have pros and cons it seems. I am curious to see how it performs especially with dark scenes and overall hdr impact compared to the Q90r.

·
Registered
563 Posts

It’s not a downgrade. It’s an upgrade. To the Q80r. The tv that it replaces. Does it beat last years higher tier model, the Q90r? Maybe maybe not. Both have pros and cons it seems. I am curious to see how it performs especially with dark scenes and overall hdr impact compared to the Q90r.

Watch Vincent’s video review that was posted earlier in the thread. He explains in detail how it is better than the Q90R.

The video review alluded to above

https://youtu.be/ne_S8CYKbxU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Watch Vincent’s video review that was posted earlier in the thread. He explains in detail how it is better than the Q90R.

Better in certain areas and worse than others is what his overall assessment was. That BvS nighttime port scene, for example, has almost no blooming at all on a q9fn/Q90r. I hope he does a comparison video to the Q90r so we could see if the increase in contrast ratio, shadow detail, and local dimming algorithm outweigh the effects that stem from a reduction of zones such as increased blooming and dimming of dark scenes.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Better in certain areas and worse than others is what his overall assessment was. That BvS nighttime port scene, for example, has almost no blooming at all on a q9fn/Q90r. I hope he does a comparison video to the Q90r so we could see if the increase in contrast ratio, shadow detail, and local dimming algorithm outweigh the effects that stem from a reduction of zones such as increased blooming and dimming of dark scenes.
A couple points he makes is that it has higher peak brightness and a better dimming algorithm for subtitles. Also, you can now bypass the auto tone mapping with local dimming high setting. If you don’t like auto motion plus you can finally have 24p judder free with the motion settings completely disabled. It’s not better in pitch black for extremely difficult scenes, but he says with bias lighting it’s not noticeable. He sums it up pretty nicely at the end starting at 12:25 saying that it holds its own to last years model. Unfortunately we probably won’t get another comparison because the Q90R is now discontinued. Many reviewers have purchased 55” Q90Ts and in the US the Q90R was only sold 65” and up. 65” Q90T has better specs than the 55”. He did say it is one of the best 4K TVs you can buy in 2020.

·
Registered
563 Posts
he said

You just can’t cheat physics all the time
Q90T is Q80R rival but not for Q90R.

He didn’t say it was the Q80R rival. He made the comment about physics as a joke because there are fewer zones and it obviously can’t win all the time even with improved software. He said it holds its own against the Q90R. It’s also lower in price. Knowing Samsung there will inevitably be something down the road that they will only add for 2020 sets going forward. eARC still isn’t here for the Q90R even though it was promised. And then there are the other HDMI 2.1 features.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A couple points he makes is that it has higher peak brightness and a better dimming algorithm for subtitles. Also, you can now bypass the auto tone mapping with local dimming high setting. If you don’t like auto motion plus you can finally have 24p judder free with the motion settings completely disabled. It’s not better in pitch black for extremely difficult scenes, but he says with bias lighting it’s not noticeable. He sums it up pretty nicely at the end starting at 12:25 saying that it holds its own to last years model. Unfortunately we probably won’t get another comparison because the Q90R is now discontinued. Many reviewers have purchased 55” Q90Ts and in the US the Q90R was only sold 65” and up. 65” Q90T has better specs than the 55”. He did say it is one of the best 4K TVs you can buy in 2020.

More excuses, to not get head to head compare.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very Interesting. Panel is 8bit + FRC, lower local dimming zone. But every thing better than q90r. Better Video processing + better software is more important to get improvement for 2020 model.

·
Registered
500 Posts
He didn’t say it was the Q80R rival. He made the comment about physics as a joke because there are fewer zones and it obviously can’t win all the time even with improved software.
Exactly. Q90T is very similiar in specs with Q80R and it shows the same level of blooming. Cause it has the same ammount of dimming zones. Q90R is much better in controling light output

·
Registered
95 Posts
Exactly. Q90T is very similiar in specs with Q80R and it shows the same level of blooming. Cause it has the same ammount of dimming zones. Q90R is much better in controling light output
Sorry, what? The Q90T performs similarly to Q90R. Sure you'll notice some blooming in a pitch black room (show me any LCD TV where this isn't the case) but with some bias lighting you don't see it at all (something Vincent alluded to very clearly in the review).

Not sure whats up with certain people coming in to this thread just to beat down the Q90T, saying that it isn't as good as the Q90R etc. People that say this are misinformed. The Q90T/Q95T has similar black level performance, is brighter, has a better contrast ratio and absolutely destroys the Q90R in Game mode performance, which is a freaking massive deal to ANYONE that wants to game on these TVs. Not to mention HDMI 2.1 support.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’m interested in the difference between Gamma vs Contrast Enhancer. The contrast enhancer seems good on the surface but I’m worried it actually takes away from the original content. For HDR would gamma get you closer to a natural picture with a bit more brightness instead of the contrast enhancer?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Someone asked them the question you are posting and yes I would agree that comparing a 55” Q90T to a 65” Q90R is not a fair comparison. For example the 55” model has Quantum HDR 12X instead of 16X on the 65” and above.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussions/ky7nM0Jnkjh0hdq1/differences-between-55-and-65-inch-model

Generally speaking, Direct Full Array corresponds to local dimming capability. Quantum HDR refers to brightness capabilities of the set. On the ABT website (a local retailer) they say:

Direct Full Array 16X:
Fine control of the lighting zones behind the screen further improves the richness of the blacks to whites.**
*75", 65", 55" Q90T models only. 85" model features Direct Full Array 20X
**Direct Full Array Numerical Index based on backlighting, antireflection and contrast enhancement technologies

Quantum HDR 16X:
Experience rich, accurate color, deeper contrast, and improved brightness so you can enjoy more breathtaking detail*. HDR10+ also can adjust color and contrast scene by scene, delivering a rich, dynamic, and realistic picture that feels like it is jumping off the screen
*The range of Quantum HDR claims luminance based on internal testing standards and is subject to change according to viewing environment or specific conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has been discussed before, Samsung themselves rates then all as having the same Picture Quality Index regardless of size and it seems reasonable that they would know.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1021 - 1040 of 2189 Posts