AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1915 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
First of all, all of the auto brightness and contrast settings are off. Intelligence and eco settings all disabled. However my TV still decides to auto dim itself and I really don’t understand why

Incredibly frustrated by auto global dimming and being unable to turn it off without going through hoops and degrading the picture. I bought this $1600 TV for gaming purposes and it feels useless.

For some reason the TV likes to dim itself when in dark scenes during gameplay. That makes absolutely no sense. If you change your Game console to PC it doesn’t happen, but the image looks washed out and you don’t have many settings unlocked to fix it.

It’s outrageous that no reviews I’ve ever read has brought this up. Ive seen now that this has been a ‘feature’ on Samsung TVs for several years. It used to be called CE Dimming. I’ve read it’s due to something called PWM, and if you go in the service menu, risking voiding your warranty and breaking the TV, you can change a few values to 100 to fix it. Really insane you have to do that. I don’t even know how to get into the service menu for the 2020 model

Samsung TVs I’ve searched but all the button combos are for older models.
Yes, I agree and it is one of the reasons I returned mine. The focus seems to be black levels and to achieve that brightness is sacrificed. Also surprised that this isn't really mentioned in review but still by actual users. I found it distracting that the image was a bit to "active".

Now, this does not make it a bad TV, far from it. I am still impressed with what Samsung has done with the Q90T/Q95T considering the strengths and weaknesses of LCD (like all other display tech).

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have just discussed Vinsent review where we can see that it is not so. Blooming is much more prominent
Much more prominent? No, he didn’t say that. While we’re on the subject of blooming, how does the Q90R handle subtitle blooming? Not as well as this years models that’s for sure. And how about Game mode blooming....? Well I think we all know the answer to that one.

But in all seriousness, this is a Q90T owners thread. Maybe you should post in the Q90R owners thread instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Four full days with 75" Q95T after Panasonic plasma TC-P65VT50. All I can say: this TV is excellent! With proper content the picture is perfect. Black is absolutely black, white is WHITE. Light can be so bright when it needed that you do not have to imagen sunshine or photo flash. I had to switch to SDR (60 Hz) because of dark Netflix's Dolby Vision movies, but I believe that Samsung will fix it or community will find the proper settings.
The angle of view does not influence on the picture up to zero. Gaming is great. No DSE, no lag, no artifacts.
To get smoothness I had to find to turn Match Frame Rate on. I use Picture Clarity custom with Judder Reduction and Blur Reduction set to 3, because I prefer cinema to documentary:)
Youtube on TV gives 4K picture and it looks amasing. Opposite to Apple TV 4K Youtube wich is still 1080.
No dead pixel, not trouble with eARC, much better reflection handling compare to LG C9.
Good luck with you choise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok. So from yesterday I have my 85q95t.

First impressions (I compare to my old 75" Sony ZD9):

- very bright, maybe a little brighter than Sony
- same great level of blacks
- a little better motion on Samsung
- bigger, so better 🙂
- gaming experience is like a night and day, Samsung crush Sony in this section
- Tizen is much better than the Android on Sony

My panel is relatively very good. No bad pixels and have a little DSE effect, better than the Sony.

I'm playing Gears 5 to check the inverse ghosting, but I don't see this effect, so my panel don't have this issue.

Maybe when I have some free time, I do some amateur review and I upload it to YouTube.

·
Registered
510 Posts
We have just discussed Vinsent review where we can see that it is not so. Blooming is much more prominent

Blooming is minimal. He said that in his review. The Q90R also has blooming because all FALD displays do. Most people don’t notice it in most viewing conditions because they don’t watch in pitch black dark. Throughout the review he says the Q90T has improvements over the Q90R. Last year rtings recommended the Q80R over the Q90R for most people because it wasn’t worth the extra cost. Look at their scores. All 3 are the same (Q80R, Q90R, Q90T). You are picking hairs claiming old tech is better than new tech.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
I’m interested in the difference between Gamma vs Contrast Enhancer. The contrast enhancer seems good on the surface but I’m worried it actually takes away from the original content. For HDR would gamma get you closer to a natural picture with a bit more brightness instead of the contrast enhancer?

Gamma controls luminance output. Contrast enhancer dynamically analyzes incoming frames and changes contrast across different areas of the screen. Modifying gamma will give you an increase in brightness. Contrast enhancer also works well and I think most people like what it does to the picture. This TV can get plenty bright so I would start with contrast enhancer before messing with gamma.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vincent already filmed a Q90T vs Q90R comparison video. I think it will be uploaded by friday

The only thing that scares me of buying a Q90T is the 8 Bit + Frc panel.. otherwise the game mode is better on Q90T, plus the hdmi 2.1 40gb

·
Vendor
26,685 Posts
Nice to see everything I’ve been saying about the Q90T and it being better looking than the Q90R game mode, overall brightness, and Darker better blacks

But it’s a huge downgrade right?

It’s just a better TV for gaming period.
It’s not a downgrade. It’s an upgrade. To the Q80r. The tv that it replaces. Does it beat last years higher tier model, the Q90r? Maybe maybe not. Both have pros and cons it seems. I am curious to see how it performs especially with dark scenes and overall hdr impact compared to the Q90r.
Soon enough, it will not matter as the 90R will be gone forever......

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Very Interesting. Panel is 8bit + FRC, lower local dimming zone. But every thing better than q90r. Better Video processing + better software is more important to get improvement for 2020 model.
Its a 8bit panel? Thats different from past years, correct?

Reactions: raf77

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice to see everything I’ve been saying about the Q90T and it being better looking than the Q90R game mode, overall brightness, and Darker better blacks

But it’s a huge downgrade right?

It’s just a better TV for gaming period.
I don't get why this TV getting good reviews and feedback (issues notwithstanding) is triggering folk on the internet. Are TV brand wars that serious!?!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Gamma controls luminance output. Contrast enhancer dynamically analyzes incoming frames and changes contrast across different areas of the screen. Modifying gamma will give you an increase in brightness. Contrast enhancer also works well and I think most people like what it does to the picture. This TV can get plenty bright so I would start with contrast enhancer before messing with gamma.

Blooming is minimal. He said that in his review. The Q90R also has blooming because all FALD displays do. Most people don’t notice it in most viewing conditions because they don’t watch in pitch black dark. Throughout the review he says the Q90T has improvements over the Q90R. Last year rtings recommended the Q80R over the Q90R for most people because it wasn’t worth the extra cost. Look at their scores. All 3 are the same (Q80R, Q90R, Q90T). You are picking hairs claiming old tech is better than new tech.

I notice blooming artifacts even when watching with a low level of light. I am not doubting that this set is better in many ways than the q90r. I am interested in the q90t and my needs may be different than the vast majority. But there are two categories which I am hearing contradicting opinions. HDR impact and blooming control. If both these categories are equal or better than the q90r, I will be picking one up. However, several reviews/feedback are mentioning that the q90r has much more impactful HDR which is why I am eagerly awaiting some side by side comparisons.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
If you go back and watch the rtings video review of the Q90T pay close attention to what Nick says starting at the 4:15 mark.

To paraphrase he says subtitles are handled much better and there is less blooming overall compared to the Q80R/Q90R (I do admit it's strange that he lumps these two together in terms of dimming performance). I have no doubt there will be some scenes that are handled better on the Q90R given the difference in zone count. And it's not like Samsung sacrificed shadow detail, just the opposite as it's better on the Q90T.

I'm more interested if the difference in dimming performance and gradient banding (10 bit vs 8 bit panel) between the Q90T and Q800T is worth the whopping price difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I guess what I’️m asking is where each of you set the local dimming, contrast enhancer, and gamma for SDR, HDR and Game.

Interested what other people are using as well:

I started with the rting settings verbatim. However using gamma 2.2 cause my switch to look really washed out in game mode, especially animal crossing. For some reason you can't have SDR game mode and SDR video mode use different gamma modes, though they can be tuned different within a given gamma. So I tweaked bt1886 to look close to right rather than using 2.2. Also make sure you have your color space on auto as native looks really bad for SDR. I still haven't tweaked my HDR settings yet from rtings. I prefer contrast enhancer off but do enable it on low for super dark netflix titles. I find it makes the blooming too noticeable for me and only use it when I must. I haven't had any back light issues with HDR gaming but I have seen the dimming back light in SDR game mode which is why I have it on standard.

SDR:
dimming: high
contrast enhancer off
gamma bt1886 +2

SDR game:
dimming: standard
contrast enhancer off
gamma bt1886 -3

HDR (same for game mode):
dimming: high
contrast enhancer off

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If you go back and watch the rtings video review of the Q90T pay close attention to what Nick says starting at the 4:15 mark.

To paraphrase he says subtitles are handled much better and there is less blooming overall compared to the Q80R/Q90R (I do admit it's strange that he lumps these two together in terms of dimming performance). I have no doubt there will be some scenes that are handled better on the Q90R given the difference in zone count. And it's not like Samsung sacrificed shadow detail, just the opposite as it's better on the Q90T.

I'm more interested if the difference in dimming performance and gradient banding (10 bit vs 8 bit panel) between the Q90T and Q800T is worth the whopping price difference.
My q90r has absolutely awful blooming with the built in apps in HDR standard mode with local dimming on high. With external sources, HDR standard mode doesn't bloom excessively but there is heavy black crush and dimming of dark scenes. I hope they fixed these issues with the q90t. Also SDR movie mode is broken on my q90r. It is very dim in that mode. Backlight at max is about equal in brightness to standard mode with backlight at around 12. My oled is way brighter in SDR unless I use the not so accurate picture presets on my q90r. That is another issue I am hoping they fixed this year. If they fix these things, I can live with other minor flaws.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I don't get why this TV getting good reviews and feedback (issues notwithstanding) is triggering folk on the internet. Are TV brand wars that serious!?!
Samsung threads with positive owners reviews always get "brigaded" out of the blue by people with low comment count and completely broken out of the box Samsung TVs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its a 8bit panel? Thats different from past years, correct?

No. 8bit + FRC. This is 10bit panel technology. Frame Rate Control Technology is use to practically enhance the color depth by 2 extra bits .

Normally , True 10bit is better than 8bit + FRC in color gradient test. But Rting website , Gradient Score, Q90T 8.5 better than Q90r 8.1. So true 10bit 90r lose to 8bit + FRC panel in color gradient test. So no need worry about the 8bit + FRC issue, Prove Samsung already master this technology.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
No. 8bit + FRC. This is 10bit panel technology. Frame Rate Control Technology is use to practically enhance the color depth by 2 extra bits .

Normally , True 10bit is better than 8bit + FRC in color gradient test. But Rting website , Gradient Score, Q90T 8.5 better than Q90r 8.1. So true 10bit 90r lose to 8bit + FRC panel in color gradient test. So no need worry about the 8bit + FRC issue, Prove Samsung already master this technology.

No...

You need to watch Vincent's Teoh's review posted yesterday - where he clearly states that most of the time the 8-bit (+ FRC) panel does fine - but there are instances where the 8-bit panel fails and a 10-bit panel would have handled the material better.

Reactions: helvetica bold
1041 - 1060 of 1915 Posts