AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1932 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had to contact Samsung support over my Q90T and they want to send a technician to my house but I feel maybe my problem is easily solved.

So when I walk up to my tv it does this, also when there are scenes on shows I'm watching such as loud knocks, such as on doors, a blue hue goes around the edge of the tv and blue drips come from the top of the screen and a chime plays. I'll link a couple pictures I took maybe someone has experienced this and knows wtf is going on? I am in Canada not sure if that helps.

Thanks in advance /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

https://ibb.co/7kQx7TY

https://ibb.co/HKct5jp
If you have a Samsung phone, turn off Smart View, or delete the app. Should solve it based on a quick google search. It’s a Smart View notification. The blue hue around the edges is the app trying to do a picture in picture.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey guys. Just a quick question. I’m still on my quest to find a tv! How is it so hard! I started of with the Samsung Q90 but I ended up sending it back as HDR was its weakest point with a far to dim picture. Local dimming issue in game mode wasn’t great either. I bough a Sony and LG Oled after both absolutely incredible I HDR, extremely bright and detailed but the naturally stuttering made me upset! So I’m looking to come back to LED but was wondering if Samsung has fixed it’s issue with the 90T in terms of local dimming and more importantly I’m the 90T capable of displaying HDR content?
Aside from the big improvement in Game mode this year, the Q90T is very comparable to the Q90R. So if you were unhappy with the Q90R, I don’t think it would be wise to pick up the Q90T.

That aside, my 65” Q95T gets ridiculously bright, I’m squinting a lot of the time with the big specular highlights. I’m surprised to hear that you thought the Q90R wasn’t bright enough, to be honest.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey guys. Just a quick question. I’️m still on my quest to find a tv! How is it so hard! I started of with the Samsung Q90 but I ended up sending it back as HDR was its weakest point with a far to dim picture. Local dimming issue in game mode wasn’️t great either. I bough a Sony and LG Oled after both absolutely incredible I HDR, extremely bright and detailed but the naturally stuttering made me upset! So I’️m looking to come back to LED but was wondering if Samsung has fixed it’️s issue with the 90T in terms of local dimming and more importantly I’️m the 90T capable of displaying HDR content?
Aside from the big improvement in Game mode this year, the Q90T is very comparable to the Q90R. So if you were unhappy with the Q90R, I don’️t think it would be wise to pick up the Q90T.

That aside, my 65” Q95T gets ridiculously bright, I’️m squinting a lot of the time with the big specular highlights. I’️m surprised to hear that you thought the Q90R wasn’️t bright enough, to be honest.
Agreed! The Q90T makes me squint!! 😎

·
Registered
162 Posts
I’m surprised to hear that you thought the Q90R wasn’t bright enough, to be honest.

Brightness is one of the biggest advantages of LCDs. But its true that the perfect contrast of an OLED can convince you that there is more brightness than the TV actually has.

Local Dimming also plays a role, but the Q90R easily has more than double the brightness of a C9/CX and was praised for its HDR performance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi. I have a Q90T 65” TV and a Q80R soundbar. Both have latest firmware installed. Hdmi 1 on tv is hooked to an appletv 4K. Hdmi 3 is connected to the soundbar via eARC.

The issue is whenever I navigate the menu in my appletv, the menu sounds fade in unless I am repeatedly moving the selection around in the menu. How can I correct this so the sound produced by the appletv 4K is always heard?

The same issue happens in the menus of my Nintendo Switch when it was on hdmi 2 on the tv. To fix it, I moved the switch to hdmi 1 of the sound bar and the menu sounds are now audible 100% of the time.

I exchanged the soundbar for a new one. Same issue. I don’t know how to fix this. Even bixby fades in when it speaks (I can’t hear the first syllable of a sentence.)

It’s like any sound sent to the sound bar when there is no sound at all has the fade in volume effect. Then volume is consistent til it’s silent again then I have the issue again. Most noticeable when swiping between apps on the appletv menu, or the sound from opening or minimizing an app.

Please help!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. I recently purchased a 55” Q90t. Overall I’m happy, but I’m noticing a lot of judder while watching non HDR content. When I enable picture clarity and increase the judder and blur reduction, the judder drastically improves, but I’m reading that enabling these features can cause the soap opera effect?? I’m not seeing that, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Currently I’m using the rtings calibration settings on movie mode.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi. I recently purchased a 55” Q90t. Overall I’m happy, but I’m noticing a lot of judder while watching non HDR content. When I enable picture clarity and increase the judder and blur reduction, the judder drastically improves, but I’m reading that enabling these features can cause the soap opera effect?? I’m not seeing that, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Currently I’m using the rtatings calibration settings on movie mode.

Depends how sensitive you are to soap opera effect but I don’t notice it with de-judder at 3 or below. If you notice the soap opera effect, decrease the value until it goes away. Sounds like you are fine with how it’s set now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. I recently purchased a 55” Q90t. Overall I’️m happy, but I’️m noticing a lot of judder while watching non HDR content. When I enable picture clarity and increase the judder and blur reduction, the judder drastically improves, but I’️m reading that enabling these features can cause the soap opera effect?? I’️m not seeing that, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Currently I’️m using the rtatings calibration settings on movie mode.

Depends how sensitive you are to soap opera effect but I don’️t notice it with de-judder at 3 or below. If you notice the soap opera effect, decrease the value until it goes away. Sounds like you are fine with how it’️s set now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Yeah I have judder reduction set at 4 right now on regular TV and it seems to have gone away and the picture still looks good to me so I’ll stick with that for now. I’m still in the process of learning what’s “normal” or adjustable and how different content may effect the picture/settings. I also just want to make sure I’m picking up on any potential malfunctions or abnormalities while I’m still in the return window.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Aside from the big improvement in Game mode this year, the Q90T is very comparable to the Q90R. So if you were unhappy with the Q90R, I don’t think it would be wise to pick up the Q90T.

That aside, my 65” Q95T gets ridiculously bright, I’m squinting a lot of the time with the big specular highlights. I’m surprised to hear that you thought the Q90R wasn’t bright enough, to be honest.
I think Sy17 was referring to low APL scenes. No doubt the Q90T will have much more impactful HDR specular highlights with high APL scenes but the tables turn with low APL scenes where the advantage goes to OLED displays. The precise control of specular highlights in dark scenes really make them standout such as star fields, text, distant street lights. Hence, why OLED displays dominate the HDR movie category from rtings. Samsung priorities black levels meaning less brightness with smaller objects while Sony doesn't and hence more blooming.

Neither display tech has an eat your cake and have it too solution with HDR. In theory true LED televisions (aka micro led) would have no such compromises.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to contact Samsung support over my Q90T and they want to send a technician to my house but I feel maybe my problem is easily solved.

So when I walk up to my tv it does this, also when there are scenes on shows I'm watching such as loud knocks, such as on doors, a blue hue goes around the edge of the tv and blue drips come from the top of the screen and a chime plays. I'll link a couple pictures I took maybe someone has experienced this and knows wtf is going on? I am in Canada not sure if that helps.

If you have a Samsung phone, turn off Smart View, or delete the app. Should solve it based on a quick google search. It’s a Smart View notification. The blue hue around the edges is the app trying to do a picture in picture.
So I tried to delete my app off my phone and the problem still persists, do you have any other ideas?

·
Registered
171 Posts

So I tried to delete my app off my phone and the problem still persists, do you have any other ideas?
It definitely is the Smart Things app. If you google it the blue drips, chime, blue edges are all related to the app. Go into it the app on the tv and see if you turn something on. If all else fails, I’m 100% sure a factory reset will fix it. You just have the hassle of re-entering your passwords and whatnot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
After a month or so of owning this TV I think its the best 4K TV you can buy this year, CX comes close but the ABL issues and specular highlights having issues looking amazing basically gave the Q90T that title but they are so close (I love the comparison video from all things tech really broke these 2 down great side by side). Really as a previous owner of an OLED even though it was a B7 the difference in brightness was night and day and game mode just seems dull on the B7 compared to the Q90T, CX def improves a lot where the B7 fell off but still ABL is honestly not great for gamers.

Anyone care to see any other videos of content being ran on this TV?
Maybe a settings run down? Testing out someones suggested settings (if anyones got any consensus best settings so far lol if such a thing exists) I can't get the TV calibrated at the moment and also not sure if I want to so I wouldn't be opposed to a settings shootout let me know.

I got some more content planned for TVs but nothing specific in the works for the Q90T so if there's anything I missed or you'd like to see let me know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
After a month or so of owning this TV I think its the best 4K TV you can buy this year, CX comes close but the ABL issues and specular highlights having issues looking amazing basically gave the Q90T that title but they are so close (I love the comparison video from all things tech really broke these 2 down great side by side). Really as a previous owner of an OLED even though it was a B7 the difference in brightness was night and day and game mode just seems dull on the B7 compared to the Q90T, CX def improves a lot where the B7 fell off but still ABL is honestly not great for gamers.

Anyone care to see any other videos of content being ran on this TV?
Maybe a settings run down? Testing out someones suggested settings (if anyones got any consensus best settings so far lol if such a thing exists) I can't get the TV calibrated at the moment and also not sure if I want to so I wouldn't be opposed to a settings shootout let me know.

I got some more content planned for TVs but nothing specific in the works for the Q90T so if there's anything I missed or you'd like to see let me know.
Would love to see your settings!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Aside from the big improvement in Game mode this year, the Q90T is very comparable to the Q90R. So if you were unhappy with the Q90R, I don’️t think it would be wise to pick up the Q90T.

That aside, my 65” Q95T gets ridiculously bright, I’️m squinting a lot of the time with the big specular highlights. I’️m surprised to hear that you thought the Q90R wasn’️t bright enough, to be honest.
I think Sy17 was referring to low APL scenes. No doubt the Q90T will have much more impactful HDR specular highlights with high APL scenes but the tables turn with low APL scenes where the advantage goes to OLED displays. The precise control of specular highlights in dark scenes really make them standout such as star fields, text, distant street lights. Hence, why OLED displays dominate the HDR movie category from rtings. Samsung priorities black levels meaning less brightness with smaller objects while Sony doesn't and hence more blooming.

Neither display tech has an eat your cake and have it too solution with HDR. In theory true LED televisions (aka micro led) would have no such compromises.
What I was actually referring to was when watching SDR on my Q90R is was spectacular! Would go as far to say it was a truly amazing experience! The problem came when using HDR, couldn’t watch anything on Netflix, amazon prime video was the same. The picture was just overly dark and no amount of setting changes made it look much better. Games didn’t pop, it seemed like the local dimming wasn’t working on game mode and the blacks seemed more like dark grey. I was impressed with the blacks on QLED and find them near on the same as OLED to be honest. I liked the Q90R and the only reason I sent it back was the HDR performance. People say it’s not the tv and it’s Netflix and Amazon’s coding but it was like that with my HDR collection from Apple also? They were lots of reports at the time with people saying they could even watch Netflix HDR? Other manufacturers didn’t have this issue? Sony’s didn’t, nice and bright HDR, no dimness issue, although Sony had a blooming issue. No issue on the HDR on my LG nor did I have that issue some Philips I tired. I really like Samsung TVs. Love the picture they produce and really want another.

Is there no one on here who agrees with the overly dim picture on HDR on the Q90?

I’m not bashing the Samsung, I actually want one just put off by the issue I had before.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What I was actually referring to was when watching SDR on my Q90R is was spectacular! Would go as far to say it was a truly amazing experience! The problem came when using HDR, couldn’t watch anything on Netflix, amazon prime video was the same. The picture was just overly dark and no amount of setting changes made it look much better. Games didn’t pop, it seemed like the local dimming wasn’t working on game mode and the blacks seemed more like dark grey. I was impressed with the blacks on QLED and find them near on the same as OLED to be honest. I liked the Q90R and the only reason I sent it back was the HDR performance. People say it’s not the tv and it’s Netflix and Amazon’s coding but it was like that with my HDR collection from Apple also? They were lots of reports at the time with people saying they could even watch Netflix HDR? Other manufacturers didn’t have this issue? Sony’s didn’t, nice and bright HDR, no dimness issue, although Sony had a blooming issue. No issue on the HDR on my LG nor did I have that issue some Philips I tired. I really like Samsung TVs. Love the picture they produce and really want another.

Is there no one on here who agrees with the overly dim picture on HDR on the Q90?

I’m not bashing the Samsung, I actually want one just put off by the issue I had before.
Not sure what’s happening there. On my Q95T it gets so bright in HDR that I have to squint in some scenes. Netflix looks great, as too do movies on Apple TV. Sounds like an odd software bug on the Q90R...

·
Registered
171 Posts
This TV definitely has a problem with Dolby Atmos sent to it through HDMI. If I connect my Sony Blu-ray player to the TV and have bitstream (Auto) selected on the player, there is audio drop out on the TV speakers. If I use PCM, which is the correct way to connect the player to the TV using only the TV spreakers, there are no drop outs. If I connect the player to the TV and a sound bar separate on the eArc port, there are drop outs. The sound bar displays "Dolby Atmos" again likes it's starting up again when it happens. If I connect the player to the sound bar directly, there are no audio drop outs, meaning the Blu-ray player, sound bar and HDMI cable are not the problem. The TV apps do not have drop outs with Atmos content. Regular blu-rays and non-Atmos blu-rays play fine with no audio drop outs. That leaves the TV as the device causing the specific Atmos problem. No one using a sound bar is experiencing this with Atmos discs? Why isn't it mentioned in any reviews? I have a Samsung engineer looking into it. The Q Symphony function is worthless unless you are using PCM, which ruins the sound and doesn't pass Atmos.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
After a month or so of owning this TV I think its the best 4K TV you can buy this year, CX comes close but the ABL issues and specular highlights having issues looking amazing basically gave the Q90T that title but they are so close (I love the comparison video from all things tech really broke these 2 down great side by side).
There ya go, you found your right TV......

·
Registered
161 Posts
I get audio fade in dropout from this tv to HW-Q80R soundbar using hdmi eARC? Explained above... If I connect via wifi there’s no drop out. Is there a beta firmware available for the soundbar or tv I can test that’s not listed on the Samsung page?

1081 - 1100 of 1932 Posts