AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1899 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
As expected Q90R is winner in movie watching. You just can't cheat physics all the time :D

I'm always surprised when people thought it would outperform it in this regard to begin with. I guess if you ignore price and just want the best LED TV possible sure. What got me interested in the q90t was the very high performance for the price compared to previous samsung LEDs. Not to mention in gaming performance it is a clear winner. If I want a dark room moving watching TV I'm getting an OLED. Then again I don't upgrade often and try to find a sweet spot in the market which I feel like this samsung does represent (especially at perks at work pricing).

·
Registered
508 Posts
As expected Q90R is winner in movie watching. You just can't cheat physics all the time :D

He didn’t say the 90R is the winner for movies. Q90T is brighter (1300 vs 1700 nits) and has deeper blacks. Q90R has more zones, less blooming (but doesn’t have the algorithm for subtitles and other UI elements). For HDR material he said the Q90T is better. Also if you watch his Q90R review from last year, the Q90T has the one thing that he begged Samsung for at the end of the review (he literally said I beg you to introduce this feature). Which is if you now set local dimming High (on the Q90T), you can bypass the tone mapping. Both are really great TVs and have their own strengths (although Q90T is superior for games hands down).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
This TV definitely has a problem with Dolby Atmos sent to it through HDMI. If I connect my Sony Blu-ray player to the TV and have bitstream (Auto) selected on the player, there is audio drop out on the TV speakers. If I use PCM, which is the correct way to connect the player to the TV using only the TV spreakers, there are no drop outs. If I connect the player to the TV and a sound bar separate on the eArc port, there are drop outs. The sound bar displays "Dolby Atmos" again likes it's starting up again when it happens. If I connect the player to the sound bar directly, there are no audio drop outs, meaning the Blu-ray player, sound bar and HDMI cable are not the problem. The TV apps do not have drop outs with Atmos content. Regular blu-rays and non-Atmos blu-rays play fine with no audio drop outs. That leaves the TV as the device causing the specific Atmos problem. No one using a sound bar is experiencing this with Atmos discs? Why isn't it mentioned in any reviews? I have a Samsung engineer looking into it. The Q Symphony function is worthless unless you are using PCM, which ruins the sound and doesn't pass Atmos.
I've had drop outs on my 4k player connected to my Atmos sound bar via earc but I was attributing it to my player as I used to get bother with it when it was hooked up to the bar directly and I get no dropouts when I watch Atmos enabled movies on my Apple TV via earc

·
Registered
169 Posts
This TV definitely has a problem with Dolby Atmos sent to it through HDMI. If I connect my Sony Blu-ray player to the TV and have bitstream (Auto) selected on the player, there is audio drop out on the TV speakers. If I use PCM, which is the correct way to connect the player to the TV using only the TV spreakers, there are no drop outs. If I connect the player to the TV and a sound bar separate on the eArc port, there are drop outs. The sound bar displays "Dolby Atmos" again likes it's starting up again when it happens. If I connect the player to the sound bar directly, there are no audio drop outs, meaning the Blu-ray player, sound bar and HDMI cable are not the problem. The TV apps do not have drop outs with Atmos content. Regular blu-rays and non-Atmos blu-rays play fine with no audio drop outs. That leaves the TV as the device causing the specific Atmos problem. No one using a sound bar is experiencing this with Atmos discs? Why isn't it mentioned in any reviews? I have a Samsung engineer looking into it. The Q Symphony function is worthless unless you are using PCM, which ruins the sound and doesn't pass Atmos.
I've had drop outs on my 4k player connected to my Atmos sound bar via earc but I was attributing it to my player as I used to get bother with it when it was hooked up to the bar directly and I get no dropouts when I watch Atmos enabled movies on my Apple TV via earc
What brand player are you using? Wondering if a Samsung player would solve it. Obviously I have the solution of plugging into the bar directly. But I’d like to use all my bars features with the player plugged into the tv. EARC doesn’t seem to be that great in general.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
After a month or so of owning this TV I think its the best 4K TV you can buy this year, CX comes close but the ABL issues and specular highlights having issues looking amazing basically gave the Q90T that title but they are so close (I love the comparison video from all things tech really broke these 2 down great side by side). Really as a previous owner of an OLED even though it was a B7 the difference in brightness was night and day and game mode just seems dull on the B7 compared to the Q90T, CX def improves a lot where the B7 fell off but still ABL is honestly not great for gamers.

Anyone care to see any other videos of content being ran on this TV?
Maybe a settings run down? Testing out someones suggested settings (if anyones got any consensus best settings so far lol if such a thing exists) I can't get the TV calibrated at the moment and also not sure if I want to so I wouldn't be opposed to a settings shootout let me know.

I got some more content planned for TVs but nothing specific in the works for the Q90T so if there's anything I missed or you'd like to see let me know.
Can you please make a video that exhibits the difference in brightness between SDR standard mode and movie mode with all enhancers turned off, local dimming on high, color tone warm2, color space native and backlight at max? My q90r has a bug where if you turn the backlight in SDR movie mode past 27 the screen actually gets much dimmer with local dimming on high and when set to local medium, even with backlight at 50 its way dimmer than standard mode, forcing me to watch standard mode unless my lights are turned down. Q9fn didnt have this problem and I want to see if samsung fixed sdr movie mode on the q90t.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What brand player are you using? Wondering if a Samsung player would solve it. Obviously I have the solution of plugging into the bar directly. But I’d like to use all my bars features with the player plugged into the tv. EARC doesn’t seem to be that great in general.
Sadly, its a Samsung player 😂 Thinking I'll use the second hdmi port on the player and plug it into the bar to see if it mitigates the dropouts. Only a few months till it will be substituted for the PS5 all going well and hoping that plays nicer with earc but I have nothing bad to say about earc with the Apple TV as that's working splendidly

·
Registered
508 Posts
Can you please make a video that exhibits the difference in brightness between SDR standard mode and movie mode with all enhancers turned off, local dimming on high, color tone warm2, color space native and backlight at max? My q90r has a bug where if you turn the backlight in SDR movie mode past 27 the screen actually gets much dimmer with local dimming on high and when set to local medium, even with backlight at 50 its way dimmer than standard mode, forcing me to watch standard mode unless my lights are turned down. Q9fn didnt have this problem and I want to see if samsung fixed sdr movie mode on the q90t.
@K G I would also be interested in this along with Contrast Enhancer included in the videos. I’m interested in:

Movie mode for tests below:

SDR
LD: High
Contrast Enhancer: Off vs Low
Gamma: BT1886/2.2 (dark room BT1886/bright room 2.2)
Color Space: Auto

HDR:
LD: High
Contrast Enhancer: Medium vs High
Gamma: ST.2084
Color Space: Auto vs Native

·
Registered
508 Posts
Q90R has higher contrast judging by RTings measurements

Yes, with local dimming they measured higher contrast (although not by a lot). I don’t really care about native contrast where the Q90T is better than the Q90R as I don’t see any reason why someone would disable it in the SM, so I agree with you on this one. To be fair though, they compared the 55” Q90T to the 65” Q90R. 65” Q90T is capable of greater brightness then the 55”.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q90r-vs-samsung-q90t/779/9810

Like I said before, both are really good TVs. The real difference (IMO) is if you need the one connect box you can’t get it in the US anymore unless you step up to the Q950TS. Also, I’m size constrained by a bookcase and I need a 55” so the Q90R isn’t an option for me in the US where the smallest size was 65”.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This TV is exactly what I am looking for however not sure if I should wait for the Vizio to release the quantum x. What are the chances the Vizio would be appreciably better than the q90T? Also is Vizio’s QC a lot worse than Samsung? Seems to be a lot of issues with Vizio in the 2019 quantum x thread.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The hatred for the Q80 and Q90T on reddit is absolutely insane. Mind you, none of these people own it or have even seen it in person.

Same thing last year with the Q90r. Whole bunch of q9fn purchase justifiers were attacking the Q90r for lower numbers without owning the set meanwhile I owned both and the Q90r blew the previous years model out of the water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The hatred for the Q80 and Q90T on reddit is absolutely insane. Mind you, none of these people own it or have even seen it in person.

So true. I’m in monitoring mode for a new TV and Samsung definitely seems to get more hate.
I think the 90T and 900H both look promising and have some things I like. Still waiting to see what’s up with Vizio.
But the thing I can’t grasp is why these models have only 1-2 HDMI 2.1 ports??
I was considering a Sonos Arc setup and I’m definitely getting PS5 and XSX later this year. Eventually Apple TV and other streaming boxes get 2.1. I just hate how these TVs are limited with 2.1 ports. I know LG OLEDs have them all but I’m avoiding those due to burn in fears as a gamer and father to 2 young kids that Disney Jr and Nic Jr a ton with those static images and I watch a lot of ESPN when sports are in action.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Today I ordered a 2020 Samsung Q90T and I expect it to be delivered sometime early next week. BTW I also ordered a Panasonic UP9000 UHD disk player. I have two concerns about the TV that I hope the more experienced owners may be able to help me with. I read that outside the USA the Q90T comes with two remotes: the simplified version the USA gets but also a full featured remote. Ideally I’d like both, does anyone have source or a URL they could post for the better non-USA remote?

My second issue is “Alexa” and “Bixby”. On principle I am very uncomfortable with an open mic in my home even though I live alone and have an uninteresting existence. Is there any way to disable that microphone in the bios or physically turn off the microphone? Other than the bubble-gum trick?

Thank you,

Timothy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey mate, I feel for you. I know you feel bad that your 4K flagship from last year was trounced by a less expensive TV this year. But that’s just the way it is sometimes. Technology tends to improve year over year.

And if you bought a QLED to watch movies in a pitch black room, you made a massive mistake my friend. You should have picked up an OLED instead. If you bought the Q90R to play games..... well I do feel sorry for you.

In all of the comparisons that Vincent made, the Q90R only came out ahead in one or two very selective scenes when watching in a pitch black room, which required some massive camera overexposure to even see (as Vincent alluded to very clearly). And while we’re talking about dark room performance, the Q95T is more true to the creators intent - retrieving more shadow detail instead of crushing it like the Q90R.

To sum up Vincent’s review and comparison: Q95T > Q90R
If you couldn’t gather that from Vincent’s comparison then you’re either in denial or you’ve got rocks in your head (or simply trying to stir up trouble).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Today I ordered a 2020 Samsung Q90T and I expect it to be delivered sometime early next week. BTW I also ordered a Panasonic UP9000 UHD disk player. I have two concerns about the TV that I hope the more experienced owners may be able to help me with. I read that outside the USA the Q90T comes with two remotes: the simplified version the USA gets but also a full featured remote. Ideally I’️d like both, does anyone have source or a URL they could post for the better non-USA remote?

My second issue is “Alexa” and “Bixby”. On principle I am very uncomfortable with an open mic in my home even though I live alone and have an uninteresting existence. Is there any way to disable that microphone in the bios or physically turn off the microphone? Other than the bubble-gum trick?

Thank you,

Timothy
So first of all you're going to LOVE the Panasonic player! I have the ub420 and if you mean the UB900 than yeah... One of the best players out there hands down! With support for HDR10 + on the player it will play nice with the Q90T that also supports it! Secondly... The Q90T will only come with the one simplied remote but does the job. I never heard of the second remote. Anyway, congrats on the your new TV. I'm sure next week can't come fast enough! 😂

·
Registered
339 Posts
@ Dan Daigle

Thank you for the welcome. I have a way of waiting until I can afford to do things properly. When Oppo was selling the 205 and 203 I did not have a 4k TV so what would be the point? Then when I buy a 4k TV OPPO quits selling what I want. When I started researching UHD players all the reviews compared the UB9000 to the OPPOs for image quality. I can not justify the cost of an 85" Q90T which would be overkill for my room. The reviews from Europe for the Q90T show both remotes and mention that more buttons give direct access to many functions so in my case I still want the remote. My Mom's Samsung a year or so ago came with both remotes.

Not that long ago a man was having an argument with his wife and and Alexa called the police. Now I live alone. Have not seen my ex wife in 33 years. I don't want to hurt anyone but on general principles I have the rule, no unsecured open microphones in my house.

I buy a lot of DVDs, CDs, and Blu-rays and rip them to my NAS. That is always my source. I hope to rip UHD disks and then never touch the disk again.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So first of all you're going to LOVE the Panasonic player! I have the ub420 and if you mean the UB900 than yeah... One of the best players out there hands down! With support for HDR10 + on the player it will play nice with the Q90T that also supports it! Secondly... The Q90T will only come with the one simplied remote but does the job. I never heard of the second remote. Anyway, congrats on the your new TV. I'm sure next week can't come fast enough! 😂

Speaking of HDR10+, I noticed recently that the Amazon app has started playing my UHD purchases (Disney and other titles) in HDR10+ instead of standard HDR. I don’t use the Amazon app often, but I have my digital purchases linked with Movies Anywhere across vendors. Not all of my UHD purchases show as available in UHD on Amazon but the ones that do are all playing in HDR10+ now. Is anyone else seeing this?

How to tell if TV app content is playing in HDR/HDR10+
When using the app while content is playing/paused, if you hit the home button and scroll to the TV quick settings, the picture mode will say either HDR or HDR10+ in the icon depending on the content you are playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1101 - 1120 of 1899 Posts