AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 2269 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
The native contrast ratio is still very important for FALD televisions.

1. There will be times when local dimming is ineffective and what you’re left with is the native CR.

2. The higher the native CR the easier it will be for the dimming algorithm to work effectively.

3. LCD display with IPS panels still perform poorly with local dimming because the native CR is horrible.

Since Samsung cut the number of dimming zone to 120 it IMO necessitated increasing the native CR at the expense of viewing angles to maintain an effective dimming algorithm.

I have first hand experience on the effect of lowering the native CR going from the Q8N to the Q80R, despite the later having more than double the zones its control of black levels is much worse than the former. No wonder the Q90R needed 480 zones to compensate for its poor native CR.

Don’t under estimate the importance of the Q90T having a notable bump in native CR.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So first of all you're going to LOVE the Panasonic player! I have the ub420 and if you mean the UB900 than yeah... One of the best players out there hands down! With support for HDR10 + on the player it will play nice with the Q90T that also supports it! Secondly... The Q90T will only come with the one simplied remote but does the job. I never heard of the second remote. Anyway, congrats on the your new TV. I'm sure next week can't come fast enough! 😂

Speaking of HDR10+, I noticed recently that the Amazon app has started playing my UHD purchases (Disney and other titles) in HDR10+ instead of standard HDR. I don’️t use the Amazon app often, but I have my digital purchases linked with Movies Anywhere across vendors. Not all of my UHD purchases show as available in UHD on Amazon but the ones that do are all playing in HDR10+ now. Is anyone else seeing this?

How to tell if TV app content is playing in HDR/HDR10+
When using the app while content is playing/paused, if you hit the home button and scroll to the TV quick settings, the picture mode will say either HDR or HDR10+ in the icon depending on the content you are playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting! I'll have to check. I thought any Netflix, Disney plus ect... That show HDR was just the reg HDR didn't think there was any streaming showing in HDR 10 plus. I'll have test it. So far I only have a couple HDR 10 plus movies and I usually confirm it's playing it with my Panasonic Ub420 when hitting the status info button.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
How do you know what HDR is showing? Or how do you get it to say what signal it is showing? I'm not sure what I am seeing from in TV apps.

·
Registered
589 Posts
How do you know what HDR is showing? Or how do you get it to say what signal it is showing? I'm not sure what I am seeing from in TV apps.

When using the app while content is playing/paused, if you hit the home button and scroll to the TV quick settings, the picture mode will say either HDR or HDR10+ in the icon depending on the content you are playing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
> The hatred for the Q80 and Q90T on reddit is absolutely insane. Mind you, none of these people own it or have even seen it in person.

Envy is a sin. It makes the sinner miserable.

In 1939 before WWII Hitler had maps made showing Britain as part of Germany. It only made him miserable; it drove him insane. As a child of grade school age I would listen that the kings of China, Egypt and Israel had hundreds of wives and the idea had some appeal to an 8 year old. Now after one bad marriage I wonder why anyone in their right mind would want 1,000 miserable and angry women under their roof plotting against them.

There will always be someone with a nicer car, nicer home, nicer TV, more more money. And if that brought true happiness they would not be dying left and right of drug over dosages. Maybe I don't understand why I should stay awake at night distressed over Vincent missing a few nits?

About twice a year when the lottery prize becomes greater than 400 million I buy a ticket; always aware that most winners are exactly as happy 90 after they win as they were 90 days before they won. Of course that is not true for all lottery winners. Some let it completely ruin their lives.

I ordered my TV this past week, it will replace working smaller Samsung TV that is about 5 years old; it should arrive early next week. I look forward to it, it was expensive, it will not change my life in any meaningful way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My fellow Q90T owners rejoice lol Vincent Teoh is best in the biz love that guys reviews and comparison videos. Check out his Q90T vs Q90R video.

I love that everything he said in the review about gaming pretty much matches what I’ve been saying and others on this forum have been saying .

Love that he mentioned inverse ghosting and also love he confirmed the theory that 120hz output fixes it. So no worry for next gen console our biggest flaw is no concern. Really sucks for 2018 model owners though as they don’t have HDMI 2.1

I hope this clears up all the misinformation about Q90R being superior because of the number of dimming zones. Bottom line Q90T is much better than the Q90R for gamers. Also it’s brighter. It only loses in a few areas to the Q90R and it launched at a cheaper price than the Q90R did last year. Q90R has no HDMI 2.1 either.

I can’t count all the negativity we have seen about it being a trash downgraded TV when in reality it is The best LCD for 4K next gen gaming out (what’s better?) and it’s neck and neck with the CX for The best TV for next gen gaming according to multiple reviewers.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Interesting! I'll have to check. I thought any Netflix, Disney plus ect... That show HDR was just the reg HDR didn't think there was any streaming showing in HDR 10 plus. I'll have test it. So far I only have a couple HDR 10 plus movies and I usually confirm it's playing it with my Panasonic Ub420 when hitting the status info button.

Yeah, I knew Amazon started streaming some of their original content in HDR10+ like Jack Ryan. I guess I didn’t think to check my MA collection. Titles that I own which are also available on Disney+ play in reg HDR in the D+ app. Those same titles are playing in HDR10+ with the Amazon app. Hopefully more streaming services start to offer it as its royalty free unlike Dolby Vision. Maybe Disney+ will begin to soon since I noticed many of their titles support it on Amazon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Per remotecontrols.com our:

Samsung Bn59-01329a Smart Oneremote Smart Tv Remote Control

can be replaced by BN59-01315J remote control.

Guessing by Amazon results almost any recent Samsung remote should work.

on Amazon a Nettech BN59-00996A is a universal Samsung substitute for sale at $12.99 and should work.

Evidently Samsung TVs are not particular about remotes. I like a remote with better access to features and menus. Although once the TV is set up and working I simply use a comcast remote to turn it on.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Digital Trends/Caleb D. has posted an unboxing/initial set up YouTube video. Based upon some of the comments in the comments section it seems futile to point out the Q90T can hold its own against the Q90R.

·
Vendor
27,146 Posts
Same thing last year with the Q90r. Whole bunch of q9fn purchase justifiers were attacking the Q90r for lower numbers without owning the set meanwhile I owned both and the Q90r blew the previous years model out of the water.
That is true, I remember that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My mystery with Atmo audio drop outs continues. Now, I realize it’s not just happening bitstreaming Atmos discs to the TV speakers, I get drop outs on my Q70T soundbar with bitstreamed Atmos if I connect my player to it directly as well. I swapped HDMI cables and still no resolution. Maybe the Sony player doesn’t play well with Samsung? Or 2020 Samsung has problems with Atmos content? Can’t believe no one else is having these problems. Starting to regret buying the TV and soundbar. Had no problems with my last Sony TV. This has been an nightmare so far.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you please make a video that exhibits the difference in brightness between SDR standard mode and movie mode with all enhancers turned off, local dimming on high, color tone warm2, color space native and backlight at max? My q90r has a bug where if you turn the backlight in SDR movie mode past 27 the screen actually gets much dimmer with local dimming on high and when set to local medium, even with backlight at 50 its way dimmer than standard mode, forcing me to watch standard mode unless my lights are turned down. Q9fn didnt have this problem and I want to see if samsung fixed sdr movie mode on the q90t.
What kind of content should I display for this kind of test?

Also what settings should I set the backlight to in the test to replicate your issues?

Would love to see your settings!
Sure ill do a settings video

@K G I would also be interested in this along with Contrast Enhancer included in the videos. I’m interested in:

Movie mode for tests below:

SDR
LD: High
Contrast Enhancer: Off vs Low
Gamma: BT1886/2.2 (dark room BT1886/bright room 2.2)
Color Space: Auto

HDR:
LD: High
Contrast Enhancer: Medium vs High
Gamma: ST.2084
Color Space: Auto vs Native

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool I can do that

What kind of content? Gaming or a video?

This TV is exactly what I am looking for however not sure if I should wait for the Vizio to release the quantum x. What are the chances the Vizio would be appreciably better than the q90T? Also is Vizio’s QC a lot worse than Samsung? Seems to be a lot of issues with Vizio in the 2019 quantum x thread.
Hard to say one thing is for sure, you gotta factor in buying a streaming box or something because the smart TV interface on the Vizio has been slow and awful. Waiting is never a bad thing though if you can wait.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Cool I can do that

Thanks, video please. Whatever movie you think is good for a short demo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Q90t is hooked up via eARC hdmi to my hw-q80r. There is audio dropout on my appletv 4K whenever sound begins. (Beginning of a video/initial menu navigation clicks). If I hookup via wifi there’s no dropout. How can I fix the dropout issue with hdmi? Firmware is updated. Using the hdmi cable that came with the soundbar and a belkin 4/8 k cable for the appletv 4K. Any help appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does this TV have an audio output? Optical audio output?
Optical audio out only. I did see a review in which it was indicated that analog audio was available but mine does not have one. Not sure when that review was created.

It does support Bluetooth audio, though there was some lag when I tried it with some hardware that supports the low-latency codec.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
What kind of content should I display for this kind of test?

Also what settings should I set the backlight to in the test to replicate your issues?

Sure ill do a settings video

Cool I can do that

Hard to say one thing is for sure, you gotta factor in buying a streaming box or something because the smart TV interface on the Vizio has been slow and awful. Waiting is never a bad thing though if you can wait.

Use default movie mode but test it with backlight at max, local dimming at both medium and high and color space native. Compare it to standard mode but with those exact same movie mode settings pasted in there. Use any regular cable tv or Netflix, movie etc. but make sure you’re in SDR. Turn off all eco modes and light sensors. Thanks!

1121 - 1140 of 2269 Posts