AVS Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1899 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
How long does it take for the tv to pick up the update on its own? I did the last one one but to get to my USB port requires moving the tv. Unless I hear great noticeable changes I’ll probably wait for the software update to find it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How long does it take for the tv to pick up the update on its own? I did the last one one but to get to my USB port requires moving the tv. Unless I hear great noticeable changes I’️ll probably wait for the software update to find it.
Seems to me, most early firmware updates would be more vital as they squash bugs for the new TVs. Be nice if they told us what they fixed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So apparently the issue I had this morning with the TV not seeing my soundbar also happened last year with the R series TVs and soundbars. So I guess it’s good it’s not a broken TV or soundbar. But how can they have not fixed this by now. Sounds like plugging my blu-ray player into the soundbar may be what causes it. So I have a fix if it keeps happening more frequently I guess.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm disgusted with this review by Caleb Denison/Digital Trends on multiple levels

https://youtu.be/97uki_4s3ZU\
I wasn’t impressed either. Superficial and lazy. His panel did have some noticeable DSE, but no where near as bad as mine (which is being replaced). On mine you can clearly see the LED FALD array behind the LCD that manifests as a grid in normal content - horribly distracting. It shocked me by how bad it was.

Seems like the 65” Q90T/Q95T has a problem with DSE. I’ve seen multiple people in this thread and others having similar issues with this model and screen size.

Please chime in if you have a similar experience.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Seems like the 65” Q90T/Q95T has a problem with DSE. I’ve seen multiple people in this thread and others having similar issues with this model and screen size.

LCD in general has problems with DSE, its called panel variance. Some have more some have less, and i refuse to believe that its model or size specific. DSE complaints are nothing new, even high end flagships can have it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased a 85" Q90T. The first one's screen was almost perfect very bright with no issues other than very tiny light bleed in the the lower left of the screen. There is no way I would of replaced it but it had one bad hdmi port. It was the 4th hdmi port (2.1). The replacement also has a very good screen. I don't see any DSE, bad pixels, or light bleed with test patterns. This second will get almost as bright as the first but I have to crank it up from 32 to 34 on the brightness. This is not a problem just a difference between the two.

Whats really crazy is Best Buy only sent one guy to deliver and install the replacement tv. I asked him how in the heck did they expect him to install a 160lbs 85 inch tv by himself. Obviously I had to help but it was not easy even with two of us. Whats really crazy is we just threw the old perfectly good tv (other than the bad hdmi port) in the back of his van. He said don't worry about being careful with it they were going to throw it away. It really made me feel uneasy being apart of wasting an almost perfect tv when someone else would be thrilled to have it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
To anyone who thought they purposely downgraded the 4K to sink below the 8K, Q90T scores 8.5 to the Q800T at 8.1. I think Rtings pretty much dispels that idea with their tests.

·
Registered
104 Posts
To anyone who thought they purposely downgraded the 4K to sink below the 8K, Q90T scores 8.5 to the Q800T at 8.1. I think Rtings pretty much dispels that idea with their tests.

I’m a big fan of the q90t but the fact the rtings review of the q800t is lower tells me more that Samsung doesn’t have a handle on 8k algorithm and processing to the same level of the 4k. From a hardware prospective it’s definitely a downgrade on specs alone due to the 10bit vs 8bit and frc panel and the dimming zone count being higher on the 800t. But what happened was they lowered the price and knocked the 4k algorithm out of the park and ended up with a fantastic tv. That being said I still believe it was meant to be a downgrade to the 8k lineup for sure. Just the hardware and price indicates that. The q90t is still a fantastic tv, but no doubt it would’ve been better with the number of dimming zones in the 90r last year and a 10bit panel. However I for one prefer what we got at the price we got it as the performance beats last years 4k flagship in lots of ways.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m a big fan of the q90t but the fact the rtings review of the q800t is lower tells me more that Samsung doesn’t have a handle on 8k algorithm and processing to the same level of the 4k. From a hardware prospective it’s definitely a downgrade on specs alone due to the 10bit vs 8bit and frc panel and the dimming zone count being higher on the 800t. But what happened was they lowered the price and knocked the 4k algorithm out of the park and ended up with a fantastic tv. That being said I still believe it was meant to be a downgrade to the 8k lineup for sure. Just the hardware and price indicates that. The q90t is still a fantastic tv, but no doubt it would’ve been better with the number of dimming zones in the 90r last year and a 10bit panel. However I for one prefer what we got at the price we got it as the performance beats last years 4k flagship in lots of ways.
I agree with the way you put this. There has been so much made of the 10bit vs 8bit and the light zones. Yes it can be seen as a down grade in hardware specs but as you stated it's still a fantastic display and beats last years model in several areas. 8K make no sense. There is no content and by the time there is content it will be several years from now. My suggestion would be save your money and buy the best 4k you can now. lol, I'm sure next year Samsung is really going to gut the 4k's in order to push everyone to 8k.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
The Q90T pretty much beats and in some instances handily beats the Q800T in every significant PQ attribute. Even gradient banding. I don't know what Samsung meant to do but the execution of the 800K is an embarrassment. Unless Samsung wants to give up market share I'm sure their high end 4K line up is going no where.

·
Registered
160 Posts
mikejfrd: The .msd file is the actual update file. Place that file in the root of the usb. Also make sure you are using the firmware from your region. Go to the appropriate download page for your region.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,218
I plan on getting the 82 inch version of the Q90t and was worried that at that size 4K would not be able to present an excellent picture with fine detail? Would 8k not be the better choice?

Does anyone here have 82” and can talk to this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I plan on getting the 82 inch version of the Q90t and was worried that at that size 4K would not be able to present an excellent picture with fine detail? Would 8k not be the better choice?

Does anyone here have 82” and can talk to this?

The Q90T is 85”, not 82”

1201 - 1220 of 1899 Posts