AVS Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 2276 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ok so the USB latest update fixed the ghosting so now gaming is great again at 10ms input lag

Only issue is that eARC is broken on this tv and from what I read the 8 series as well

Very unfortunate that it does not work

I had to plug the ps4 pro to the samsung sound bar hw q80r to get proper multi channel pcm from ps4 7.1 to show up on the game

My concern is that this will cause input lag

Second issue is that I connected my fios box to the hdmi second input on the soundbar and it works at times and others is just a blank screen.

Might have to just use toslink from cable box to the FIos box but now I lose in tv apps ability to get audio.

I can get atmos from nextflix in tv apps when using eARC so not sure if that is just something that works regardless of eARC but I do get it

What the tv does not pass to the soundbar is multi channel pc.

When I set the ps4 to bitstream dolby 5.1 and use eARC there is a huge audio delay. Only PCM on ps4 has no delay but it only does 2 channels when passthrough to the soundbar

I must have ps4 pro connected to the soundbar for audio to work as advertised because eARC is broken on this tv
Not sure why you are so intent on setting the PS4 to PCM. It should be set to Dolby if you’re using pass through on the tv. There’s no difference in the sound. The soundbar decodes the bitstream back to PCM. It’s always PCM when it’s finally decided. You’re making it more difficult than it is.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can I ask why you have both a CX and a Q90T? Also are you finding the inverse ghosting gone while using VRR and Freesync?
One is for bedroom other for living room

The ghosting is gone after usb update

My issue remains that earc does not work on the TV

Very disappointed in that
The EARC does work on this tv. I use it for my 5.1 set up.
eARC is flawed in the Samsungs. At least when using a 2020 Samsung soundbar. Which makes zero sense. If your set up is only 5.1, you probably won’t experience the audio drop outs since it’s only with lossless Atmos. Atmos wrapped into Dolby Digital Plus, on older receivers or when using the TV apps, will also not dropout. Lossless Atmos will. I’m going to try one more thing. When I’ve had the player plugged into the TV, I’ve had my Nintendo Switch plugged into the soundbar. I’m going to try the player through the TV with nothing plugged into the soundbar, in case there’s interference or copy protection causing the dropouts. I’ll update on my findings.

Update: Atmos audio still drops out with nothing plugged into the soundbar if using eARC. After switching to a new HDMI cable and running the player to soundbar’s HDMI input, the drops are resolved. Also I turned off the CEC on the player, resulting in a direct HDMI connection to the soundbar. With CEC turned on, even connecting the player to the bar directly resulted in a needless and troublesome eARC connection with the TV. So again I suspect an eARC problem.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not sure why you are so intent on setting the PS4 to PCM. It should be set to Dolby if you’re using pass through on the tv. There’s no difference in the sound. The soundbar decodes the bitstream back to PCM. It’s always PCM when it’s finally decided. You’re making it more difficult than it is.

How? Pcm is the raw audio that I want the ps4 to send to soundbar via pass-through so sound bar via earc handles it. Me putting Bitstream on ps4 not correct

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not sure why you are so intent on setting the PS4 to PCM. It should be set to Dolby if you’️re using pass through on the tv. There’️s no difference in the sound. The soundbar decodes the bitstream back to PCM. It’️s always PCM when it’️s finally decided. You’️re making it more difficult than it is.

How? Pcm is the raw audio that I want the ps4 to send to soundbar via pass-through so sound bar via earc handles it. Me putting Bitstream on ps4 not correct
PCM is the end result either way. The PS4 encodes it to bitstream and the soundbar decodes it back to PCM. Or the PS4 decodes and sends it already uncompressed. The end result is the same. Sending it uncompressed can cause problems if the TV can’t send it uncompressed to the soundbar properly. May be the case here, but irrelevant because sending it bitstream is the most efficient method and does not result in any degradation of sound. It’s still lossless. PCM was more important pre-eARC. ARC could not send lossless audio. eARC can and does. You’re thinking is just a little dated on it.

·
Registered
596 Posts

You have it reversed. PCM is uncompressed audio that has already been decoded by the source device. Bitstream passes the source audio unaltered so that your receiver or sound bar can decode it. Although neither format is incorrect, bitstream is typically preferred because that is what lights up your receiver with the incoming signal format.

PCM was passed by ARC as 2-channel before the introduction of eARC. LG recently fixed an issue with eARC to support multi-channel PCM passthrough (like a week or two ago).

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1591857596

They have also supported eARC longer than Samsung. I’m not surprised you are having issues passing PCM multi-channel over eARC considering it took LG a year to fix this and Samsung just started to support eARC with these models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ok so check this out

I connect my PS4 PRO to the LG CX directly

I then connect an hdmi cable to the ARC input on the tv and the other end to the soundbar output

I then set the LG CX audio to eARC and bitstream passthrough.

I put the PS4 PRO on HDMI and PCM

Turn on Last of us 2 and go into audio settings and it detets auto home theater 7.1

Also when selecting HDMI in the PS4 PRO audio settings it gives you a message that the connected sound system is 7.1 or i can set ps4 to 5.1

Now take what I wrote but change the LG CX to the Samsung Q90T

The last of us in game audio says 2 channel tv only

When I select HDMI audio in the ps4 menu the box that says you are connected to an 7.1 audio does not come up

Only when I connect the ps4 pro directly into the soundbar does what happened on top with the LG Oled happen with the q90t

Side note, if I want to use eARC so I do not have to connect the ps4 to the sound bar and do it all through eARC if I put the ps4 audio from hdmi pcm to hdmi dolby bitstream there is a huge audio delay.

This is my issue and how anyone can tell me that am making a big deal when it is easy connection with just eARC on the OLED is beyond me

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You have it reversed. PCM is uncompressed audio that has already been decoded by the source device. Bitstream passes the source audio unaltered so that your receiver or sound bar can decode it. Although neither format is incorrect, bitstream is typically preferred because that is what lights up your receiver with the incoming signal format.

PCM was passed by ARC as 2-channel before the introduction of eARC. LG recently fixed an issue with eARC to support multi-channel PCM passthrough (like a week or two ago).

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1591857596

They have also supported eARC longer than Samsung. I’m not surprised you are having issues passing PCM multi-channel over eARC considering it took LG a year to fix this and Samsung just started to support eARC with these models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for this answer and I hope Samsung fixes this issue because I hate plugging my ps4 or any console to the soundbar because it constantly has handshaking issues when coming out of HDR.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
So found another issue that I cannot say if it is tied to new fw update.

When playing in hdr I have contrast enhanced off and in last of us 2 when I go into a dark area the screen dims all of a sudden and returning back to daylight remains dim

Not sure why this is happening

·
Registered
56 Posts
Blu ray looks great! I don’t have any UHD discs yet. Haven’t hooked up Xbox yet to see how that looks, but I imagine it will look great too. I mainly game in another room so can’t do it on this tv with family mainly just watching tv on it. I tried settings close to what you showed, but no improvement in cable picture quality. Maybe it doesn’t upscale cable tv 1080P to 4K so well? My older tv’s were just 1080P so they didn’t have to really upscale the 1080P broadcasts and they look extremely sharp with cable. Also, this tv has quite a bit of the dirty screen effect during panning shots on white backgrounds. At least mine does. Not good. I guess there is nothing else I can try so I have to make a decision to keep this or not. We just wanted a really nice bigger tv to watch cable mostly, so this is a bit disappointing. I know most people are maybe using this tv for other things so this might not be as big a deal to others as it is to me as far as watching plain ole tv. Like you said, its just cable tv so never the best. How true. As I mentioned before, maybe with this tv being so much bigger than our other ones and having to sit so close to this tv we can see too many things going on. Maybe should have gotten a smaller tv and spent less money but almost all tv’s are 4K now so might have problems on cable picture quality with them as well. Sigh....

So, I'm late in posting this, but I decided to keep this great tv. The xfinity cable box got reset during after a 4 hour power outage and weirdly enough when the tv came back on, the picture was beautiful. Not sure what happened here, but very happy. I do have a little bit of the dirty screen effect , but its not that disturbing as I don't really even see it 95% of the time. One question I do have is how can I tame the bright lime green color of the grass on sports fields and greenery in nature shows? Its not natural. I have my Picture Mode set to Natural, Brightness at 12, Contrast at 25, Color at 13 and Color Tone set to Standard. Overall, I feel this gives me the best picture to my liking, except for the greens. If I lower the Color to 8, the greens look much more natural, but other colors wash out somewhat. Even if I change to Movie Mode, the greens are still too lime green. Is there another area in the settings I can go to adjust the greens only?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Blu ray looks great! I don’️t have any UHD discs yet. Haven’️t hooked up Xbox yet to see how that looks, but I imagine it will look great too. I mainly game in another room so can’️t do it on this tv with family mainly just watching tv on it. I tried settings close to what you showed, but no improvement in cable picture quality. Maybe it doesn’️t upscale cable tv 1080P to 4K so well? My older tv’️s were just 1080P so they didn’️t have to really upscale the 1080P broadcasts and they look extremely sharp with cable. Also, this tv has quite a bit of the dirty screen effect during panning shots on white backgrounds. At least mine does. Not good. I guess there is nothing else I can try so I have to make a decision to keep this or not. We just wanted a really nice bigger tv to watch cable mostly, so this is a bit disappointing. I know most people are maybe using this tv for other things so this might not be as big a deal to others as it is to me as far as watching plain ole tv. Like you said, its just cable tv so never the best. How true. As I mentioned before, maybe with this tv being so much bigger than our other ones and having to sit so close to this tv we can see too many things going on. Maybe should have gotten a smaller tv and spent less money but almost all tv’️s are 4K now so might have problems on cable picture quality with them as well. Sigh....

So, I'm late in posting this, but I decided to keep this great tv. The xfinity cable box got reset during after a 4 hour power outage and weirdly enough when the tv came back on, the picture was beautiful. Not sure what happened here, but very happy. I do have a little bit of the dirty screen effect , but its not that disturbing as I don't really even see it 95% of the time. One question I do have is how can I tame the bright lime green color of the grass on sports fields and greenery in nature shows? Its not natural. I have my Picture Mode set to Natural, Brightness at 12, Contrast at 25, Color at 13 and Color Tone set to Standard. Overall, I feel this gives me the best picture to my liking, except for the greens. If I lower the Color to 8, the greens look much more natural, but other colors wash out somewhat. Even if I change to Movie Mode, the greens are still too lime green. Is there another area in the settings I can go to adjust the greens only?
I use movie settings and the Rtings calibration settings from the review and the greens and all colors are perfect for sports and movies. Looks like it should to me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ok so check this out

I connect my PS4 PRO to the LG CX directly

I then connect an hdmi cable to the ARC input on the tv and the other end to the soundbar output

I then set the LG CX audio to eARC and bitstream passthrough.

I put the PS4 PRO on HDMI and PCM

Turn on Last of us 2 and go into audio settings and it detets auto home theater 7.1

Also when selecting HDMI in the PS4 PRO audio settings it gives you a message that the connected sound system is 7.1 or i can set ps4 to 5.1

Now take what I wrote but change the LG CX to the Samsung Q90T

The last of us in game audio says 2 channel tv only

When I select HDMI audio in the ps4 menu the box that says you are connected to an 7.1 audio does not come up

Only when I connect the ps4 pro directly into the soundbar does what happened on top with the LG Oled happen with the q90t

Side note, if I want to use eARC so I do not have to connect the ps4 to the sound bar and do it all through eARC if I put the ps4 audio from hdmi pcm to hdmi dolby bitstream there is a huge audio delay.

This is my issue and how anyone can tell me that am making a big deal when it is easy connection with just eARC on the OLED is beyond me
When you set audio output of the PS4 to Dolby, you need to also change the Q90T to audio output as pass through. Then there is no audio delay. The OLED is going to get burn in over time. It’s not a good choice for gaming. But if you prefer it, no ones gonna question you.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
When you set audio output of the PS4 to Dolby, you need to also change the Q90T to audio output as pass through. Then there is no audio delay. The OLED is going to get burn in over time. It’s not a good choice for gaming. But if you prefer it, no ones gonna question you.
I have no issues with the gaming aspect, my issue is that a samsung tv and samsung soundbar do not work well together but the same samsung soundbar and lg oled work perfect.....Makes no damm sensee

I did put passthrough and dolby on ps4 still has a slight delay compared to pcm.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When you set audio output of the PS4 to Dolby, you need to also change the Q90T to audio output as pass through. Then there is no audio delay. The OLED is going to get burn in over time. It’️s not a good choice for gaming. But if you prefer it, no ones gonna question you.
I have no issues with the gaming aspect, my issue is that a samsung tv and samsung soundbar do not work well together but the same samsung soundbar and lg oled work perfect.....Makes no damm sensee

I did put passthrough and dolby on ps4 still has a slight delay compared to pcm.
If you select pass through, then it doesn’t matter what the PS4 says about the TV. How does it sound? My guess is the same as the CX. If there is still a delay, you can adjust on the soundbar maybe even the PS4, haven’t noticed a delay with pass through myself, but I have lip sync issues with some discs. The sync function fixes it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When you set audio output of the PS4 to Dolby, you need to also change the Q90T to audio output as pass through. Then there is no audio delay. The OLED is going to get burn in over time. It’️s not a good choice for gaming. But if you prefer it, no ones gonna question you.

If you select pass through, then it doesn’t matter what the PS4 says about the TV. How does it sound? My guess is the same as the CX. If there is still a delay, you can adjust on the soundbar maybe even the PS4, haven’t noticed a delay with pass through myself, but I have lip sync issues with some discs. The sync function fixes it.
Also, there’s nothing wrong with plugging the PS4 into the soundbar. That will let send PCM if you’re determined. You’re not going to get what you want with eARC, Samsung still needs to work out the bugs. I run my blu-ray player through the soundbar to deal with Atmos discs dropping sound through eARC. Sounds fantastic that way.

·
Registered
201 Posts
After a quick search. LG just added 7.1 LPCM pass through to eARC in the last 2 weeks. Samsung has not updated. They may or they may not. So you are only going to get 2 channel pass through of LPCM. If you must use that setting, you will need to be plugged into the soundbar.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Also, there’s nothing wrong with plugging the PS4 into the soundbar. That will let send PCM if you’re determined. You’re not going to get what you want with eARC, Samsung still needs to work out the bugs. I run my blu-ray player through the soundbar to deal with Atmos discs dropping sound through eARC. Sounds fantastic that way.
Yes I am running the pro to the soundbar as that is the only way to get the best audio but the issue is the hdmi handshake that occurs at times. For example when gaming in HDR and closing out the game. It flashes to black to return to sdr and at times that change causes the soundbar and tv to not know how to return the image and it starts flickering and it then settles but it happens enough times to be a pain.

Some other things I discovered today

The game mode on this tv is superior to the OLED in terms of input lag and most important motion.

I turned on an old game like dark souls 3 in sdr and the movement felt so smooth on the qled in game mode compared to game mode on the oled.

My request to samsung is they fix their earc issues with multi channel pcm and that there is no sudden change to overall brightness in a dark area when coming from a bright area. It goes real dim and it takes a few minutes to return to the brightness it had before. I read that this is just how the local dimming on high works

Not sure yet if I should settle on low for contrast enhancer or off. what do you guys use?

Also is there anyway to remove game mode pro sound stage from derfaulting every time i play a game on ps4....worst of all is returning to cable tv it remains on game mode pro...Have to manually change it to standard each time

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
After a quick search. LG just added 7.1 LPCM pass through to eARC in the last 2 weeks. Samsung has not updated. They may or they may not. So you are only going to get 2 channel pass through of LPCM. If you must use that setting, you will need to be plugged into the soundbar.
Thank you for that.....Yes I will be plugging into the soundbar.....not sure what type of issues are going to come about when ps5 and series x come out and there is just one hdmi 2.1 on the tv and having to connect to soundbar defeats that purpose

·
Registered
28 Posts
It goes real dim and it takes a few minutes to return to the brightness it had before. I read that this is just how the local dimming on high works

Not sure yet if I should settle on low for contrast enhancer or off. what do you guys use?
There was some changes to the local dimming in game mode to reduce blooming, I recommend using standard for games.

and as far as contrast enhancer Id use low or none but really its a preference thing there

Anybody know what the input lag is when game motion is on but all settings are at 0?
input lag goes to 22ms regardless of if settings are at 10 or all 0

1261 - 1280 of 2276 Posts