AVS Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1941 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do we know the details?
Samsung doesn't release patch notes unfortunately but this update should add Filmmaker Mode and fix dimming issues, ghosting in Game Mode and other minor issues.
Will share more info later, I'm still downloading the update. Samsung severs are slooooow AF.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Samsung doesn't release patch notes unfortunately but this update should add Filmmaker Mode and fix dimming issues, ghosting in Game Mode and other minor issues.
Will share more info later, I'm still downloading the update. Samsung severs are slooooow AF.
If we switch between lets say Movie and Filmmaker mode, does the switch reset some kind of settings? Or can we freely change between all the modes and it does not reset or change any other settings?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If we switch between lets say Movie and Filmmaker mode, does the switch reset some kind of settings? Or can we freely change between all the modes and it does not reset or change any other settings?
The Filmmaker mode is the fifth picture mode on the TV so you can freely choose between this or Movie mode without reset settings.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Filmmaker mode is the fifth picture mode on the TV so you can freely choose between this or Movie mode without reset settings.
Ok, thanks! Good to know! I have just set up Movie mode based on settings advised to use both from here and the rtings review. Then I will try out Moviemaker mode, without fear or messing up other settings on the TV.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
unfortunately, it appears that the Filmmaker Mode is broken when used with SDR content as it starts to dim the screen even with all Eco solutions disabled (unless of course it's by design). it doesn't happen with HDR content though and it looks excellent.

·
Registered
129 Posts
unfortunately, it appears that the Filmmaker Mode is broken when used with SDR content as it starts to dim the screen even with all Eco solutions disabled (unless of course it's by design). it doesn't happen with HDR content though and it looks excellent.
Cam it be a colorspace problem (full vs limited)?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah I noticed this thing. When playing a SDR content the image gets too dark. With HDR instead looks great.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

SDR Filmmaker mode is designed for a maximum brightness of 100 nits.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ehh WHAT!?! Maksimum 100 nits?! That is absurd! What kind of filmmaker wants that? Sounds like a totally pointless and FAR from any filmmaker mode a filmmaker wants. What is Samsungs reason to make such a mode?

Cannot see either HDTV Review or Stop The Fomo making a video about this yet, strange....

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
yeah i see the logic there (hence i said it might be by design) but that's unfortunate since you can edit every other setting in Filmmaker Mode but not that one. it's just confusing at this point and most would think it's a "bug".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,553
That is why I will never use a filmmaker mode. I love the contrast and pop of colour. The fact that the limited it to only 100 is absolutely crazy. But that is why we have multiple settings, no one has to use filmmaker motive they don’t want to, which is great.

·
Vendor
26,710 Posts
Any thoughts on whether 8K 2.1 cables would fix my Atmos audio dropouts over eARC? The 2.1 cables would be 48gbps verses 18gbps. Anyone already using 2.1 cables? There is a logic to it.
It certainly could fix your issue, could be something else as well, let us know if that works......

Some price adjustments today (could be temporary)
They are, 2 week sale then the prices go back up.......

Someone convince me to leave my 82 Q900R for an 85 Q90T
You only live once, you can not take your cash with you;) You look around in this world and it is changing fast.....

Really torn between the Q90t 85" and the Q800t 82"....not sure which one to go with...is the 8K model worth $1700 more. Can you guys offer some advice?
does the 8K offer any benefits at 85" viewing from about 15 feet away? I currently have a 65QFN which IMO is fantastic. This new 85 is going to replace it. Mostly concerned with the contrast ratio being so much lower. I've been back and forth like a few dozen times today between the two.
#1 , you got a ton of 8K material we don't know about ;) Many people can not see the difference from 1080P to 4K, let along 4K to 8K. Color accuracy, black levels, and contrast are much more important then resolution, that is why many people are siding with the 90T.

--There is no set standard of measuring contrast ratio. Yes both TV's are made by Samsung but does that mean they measured these models the same way? Rather have a pro-calibrator jump and and give us number's between the two models you noted.....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you have your eco turned off and then go to filmmaker it engages eco again so you must go back to eco and turn it off. Once you do this it will remain off for FMM and other settings and the brightness is the same as Movie or any other

·
Registered
254 Posts
Isn't it the same across platforms? 100nits sounds perhaps right in an oled.
That is why I will never use a filmmaker mode. I love the contrast and pop of colour. The fact that the limited it to only 100 is absolutely crazy. But that is why we have multiple settings, no one has to use filmmaker motive they don’t want to, which is great.
SDR @ 100 cd/m2 (nits) is an ITU standards thing, has nothing to do with panel type.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you have your eco turned off and then go to filmmaker it engages eco again so you must go back to eco and turn it off. Once you do this it will remain off for FMM and other settings and the brightness is the same as Movie or any other
ha, those sneaky filmmakers ;) thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Filmmaker mode on LG can be brightened to the maximum luminance that the panel can achieve. It is a shame that samsung gimps movie/filmmaker/cinema modes. It used to be not like that back in the KS and Q9fn days.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Filmmaker mode on LG can be brightened to the maximum luminance that the panel can achieve. It is a shame that samsung gimps movie/filmmaker/cinema modes. It used to be not like that back in the KS and Q9fn days.
Samsung is just following the guidelines for SDR filmmaker mode. One is free to use the Movie preset if you want accurate OOTB settings and a brighter picture. They're doing nothing wrong IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are using PC or Xbox one X set your console/PC output to [email protected] and play outside of Game Mode, you will get fully functional local dimming and lower input lag than 4k60hz with Game Mode.
Thanks. For most non-HDR games the visible difference between 4k and 1440p to my naked eye is negligible, so this is helpful.

You also need to realize that some games or movies that are supposed to be black is not black. This was one of the first things I tested, black test pattern on youtube. And the TV goes black, looks like its off. You also need to consider the settings and mode you have set for your TV.
Thanks, though areas that I'm referring to are indeed supposed to be black — I'm talking about large black loading screens with small text, which also appear as "pure" black on my capture card or playing back a stream on a phone. Or worse, running the Spears & Munsil brightness test pattern and seeing the checkerboard and 2%/4% columns even with the Shadow Detail cranked all the way down. I have also aligned the black levels between my TV and the consoles.

Ultimately I'm still not wild about this TV's predilection for large grey spreads vs. smaller bloomed zones, but the problem is restricted to Game Mode and unnoticeable with basically any natural light in the daytime, so I ordered a bias lighting strip to see if that helps. :cool:

Is it generally recommended to use BT.1886? I've seen recommendations for 2.2 but BT seems much deeper without crushing too much to my eyes.

1541 - 1560 of 1941 Posts