AVS Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 2806 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Gaming is excellent except for the dimming issue and the horrible DSE that these tvs have

It is awful
I get no dimming, but yeah the dse is pretty bad on games. Especially rock star games. Red dead redemption 2 and GTA 5 really show it off. But other games like gears 5 or the Witcher 3 I don't look too bad

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
On my end I have barely any DSE on my 75, my panel is phenomenal, same as my 85q80t.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Gaming is excellent except for the dimming issue and the horrible DSE that these tvs have

It is awful
This one and the q9fn in 65 are disappointing when it comes to dse. My 65” Q90r did way better in this department. It’s a shame cause I like all other aspects of PQ better on the Q90t. I tried 2 Q90t and both have awful dse. I tried to tolerate it cause I like everything else about this set but I can’t.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
On my end I have barely any DSE on my 75, my panel is phenomenal, same as my 85q80t.
I just bought a 85Q80T and two 55Q80T's and they are working much better than others I have owned.
This one and the q9fn in 65 are disappointing when it comes to dse. My 65” Q90r did way better in this department. It’s a shame cause I like all other aspects of PQ better on the Q90t. I tried 2 Q90t and both have awful dse. I tried to tolerate it cause I like everything else about this set but I can’t.
I did have quite a time (as always) of getting the settings like I LIKE THEM but once I figured out the combination they do a reasonable job.

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
Does anyone use Local Dimming on High with SDR content or Standard for Movie/Filmaker Mode? Im getting posterization at times with LD set to High, when I click it back to Standard the posterization goes away. I tried to replicate this on my 85q80t but couldnt reproduce it. This behavior also happened on my previous 65q90t.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I
Does anyone use Local Dimming on High with SDR content or Standard for
Does anyone use Local Dimming on High with SDR content or Standard for Movie/Filmaker Mode? Im getting posterization at times with LD set to High, when I click it back to Standard the posterization goes away. I tried to replicate this on my 85q80t but couldnt reproduce it. This behavior also happened on my previous 65q90t.
Movie/Filmaker Mode? Im getting posterization at times with LD set to High, when I click it back to Standard the posterization goes away. I tried to replicate this on my 85q80t but couldnt reproduce it. This behavior also happened on my previous 65q90t.
I guess there's a problem with local dimming set to high on sdr. One of the other forum users on this thread were referring to the first post of the 80t thread about it. But must be later in the thread. I didn't catch anything about l.d. I seem to get occasionally blown out highlights with local dimming on high in sdr.

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
^ok cool im not crazy lol! Yeah any bright object like the sun would at times get this weird posterization around it. When setting back to standard LD, it goes away. I guess what I will do is set LD st standard and raise backlight. Thanks for confirming!

Reactions: musicman0725

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
^both filmaker mode/movie mode default to LD Standard...I think I'm gonna leave it like that.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Another thing I noticed, tonight we subscribed to Starz and the motion is horrible. If it's a still shot and someone moves it would get jerky. That's with custom . Judder at 2 and blur at max. But switched the Roku to 1080 instead of 4k and it's quite a bit better. Seems the Samsung does better job than the Comcast box for upscaling

·
Registered
866 Posts
Another thing I noticed, tonight we subscribed to Starz and the motion is horrible. If it's a still shot and someone moves it would get jerky. That's with custom . Judder at 2 and blur at max. But switched the Roku to 1080 instead of 4k and it's quite a bit better. Seems the Samsung does better job than the Comcast box for upscaling
Forget to add it was a older movie. Pluto Nash. Don't really see that with most movies on this set. But this was really distracting. Like frame by frame movement.

·
Premium Member
6,268 Posts
^hard to help with motion, but in my case I turn it off.

Reactions: Glenee

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can go on the Netflix site on a browser and change subtitles to transparent. You can do this for HboMax too. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the advice, but it didn't effect anything. If I did it without a background, there was no dimming, but it was even more difficult to read on its own. I'm not using a mix of white background with blue lettering that is possibly dimming less? The irritating thing is that the dimming isn't uniform. It will dim in the middle, beginning, or end depending on the scene. The best solution I've seen is to set backlight to low, but then HDR performance is greatly effected.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This is so sad. I'm earnestly considering the Q70T now because of these two issues. (My TV is going to be at least 98% dedicated to gaming)
Not sure if getting another different samsung would not have the dimming issue but have not heard about it. The DSE is most likely still going to be on the q70t

I have had Samsung q80r q90t and the one before 2 years ago and they all had horrible DSE....Now horrible to me might be not bad for others but for the price of these sets that should not be acceptable

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
^hard to help with motion, but in my case I turn it off.
I do the same. I have one mode selection adjusted for a little of the motion and judder that I kick it on to sometimes . Most of that stuff for me at least causes just as much problems as it Help's To MY EYES.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey Guys,

So I got a 55" Q90T, about a week ago,and I'm a little confused. I've been watching in movie and filmmaker models and the tv brightness seems very underwhelming. I've turned off intelligent and eco models. I pumped to brightness up to 50, and the picture still seems "meh" (as in not that bright) and colors just seem ok.

So question is...

1.) Does anyone have SDR and HDR calibration settings (the Rtings settings seem avg).

2.) Do people watch in other modes (Standard)?

Nothing seems to "pop" in Movie/FMM (colors or brightness) and I have about 1 week to figure this out before being forced to return.

Thanks in advance Guys! I cant believe I've been a member since 2005, haha.
That's weird! I use movie mode and have brightness at 13 and this tv is plenty bright! Having it set to 50 all the time I feel is way to high! I mean hdr content will bring it up to 50 anyways. Not sure why your tv seems so dark. Maybe it's just a preference thing but I always aim for accuracy over over saturated color. When I watch 4k hdr content I find the rtings settings to be just right and pops enough and is super bright. But again everyone is different in what they like. I hope you find the right settings for you. 👍

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Not sure if getting another different samsung would not have the dimming issue but have not heard about it. The DSE is most likely still going to be on the q70t

I have had Samsung q80r q90t and the one before 2 years ago and they all had horrible DSE....Now horrible to me might be not bad for others but for the price of these sets that should not be acceptable
I’ve had 5 65” q9fn. All had dse. My friend had a 65 q9fn and he had dse as well. He upgraded to a 75” and he had no noticeable dse and I compared them side by side. There was another q9fn user here in the forums that reported the same thing when going from a 65 to a 75 q9fn at the time. @ray0414 . The 75” q9fn was way cleaner, as were both of my 65” q90r. There is a clear pattern on the amount of dse on samsungs from what I’ve seen, and it’s dependent on model and size. I think it’s because different model and size combos use different types of fald grids.

With that being said, the DSE during movies on both of my 65” Q90t is some of the worse I’ve ever seen. The q9fn has worse dse during hockey and white scenes, however for movies and sports on a green field like football and baseball weren’t noticeable. Jaws 4k in particular was a disaster. When the camera pans through the blue skies in the scenes towards the beginning of the movie it looks downright awful. Baseball and football, particularly when an infielder throws the ball to first base or a quarterback launches a long throw or a kickoff/punt, it’s very bad and impossible not to find it very distracting IMHO.

1801 - 1820 of 2806 Posts