AVS Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 2274 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I recently purchase an 85" Samsung Q90T, which is replacing a 75" Sony Z9D.

The challenge I have is that green colors in general are WAY too Oversaturated and often times look way overblown. Things like grass often look like somebody painted the grass with green florescent paint. Beside the greens being so oversaturated, I am very happy with the overall look of the images.

I am running the Q90T in "Vivid" mode, which is my preference even though I know many members would believe doing so is sacrosanct. The challenge is that I can't find a way to lower just the green saturation levels?

When I enter the "Expert settings" and I navigate to RGB Only Mode I see R,G,B, but when I try to select them I get a popup dialog box that says: “This Function isn’t available”

Does anybody know how to get around this? Is there some kind of hidden way that calibrators can access some kind of special systems settings?

What am I missing? Any insight on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If it's similar to my Q70R you get full calibration in Standard Mode and Movie Mode. I'd really calibrate in Movie Mode. You can change settings how you like in Movie Mode and you get a 960Hz PWM backlight flicker. Plus, Movie Mode's local dimming is best.

Reactions: ghonk

·
Registered
425 Posts
If it's similar to my Q70R you get full calibration in Standard Mode and Movie Mode. I'd really calibrate in Movie Mode. You can change settings how you like in Movie Mode and you get a 960Hz PWM backlight flicker. Plus, Movie Mode's local dimming is best.
DoooooooooooooooD!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!!! That solved my challenge perfectly!!!!!

Samsung, if you are listening: You don't need a goofy dynamic mode on these new TV sets anymore as the quality of image has improved so much. Seriously, what is the point of having a dynamic mode that makes grass look like it's been spray painted with fluorescent green paint??? In doing so, you are just making your TV's look like a defective joke. And, once I got the Q90T dialed in, it looks amazing!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok so after spending a few hours with FW 1304, I noticed that the overall picture quality has improved and the UI is a little bit responsive. Not too bad!

·
Registered
270 Posts
So Europe got 1304 ahead of the US, hearing their newest FW helped out with some PQ issues which is encouraging.
I believe it was US who had the update first while Europe was stuck on version 1115. I'm happy to see that ghosting/trailing issue is now fixed. Also glad to see FILMMAKER mode finally available. I did notice that it doesn't show if the content is HDR as it does for other modes in the bottom menu. Still no Google Assistant option though.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Guys what do i need to do for Samsung to replace the screen on my 65 Q90T after having it just 3 weeks. It has a lot of DSE and I am hoping if they changed it that it will not fix the issue completely but make it much better. Thoughts? Do I say I need a new screen because of DSE?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
There are 2 issues that are huge for me with the new FW that is coming soon which I hope it fixes

#1 The dimming issue in HDR gaming
#2 The lack of multi channel PCM via eArc

·
Vendor
27,164 Posts
Guys what do i need to do for Samsung to replace the screen on my 65 Q90T after having it just 3 weeks. It has a lot of DSE and I am hoping if they changed it that it will not fix the issue completely but make it much better. Thoughts? Do I say I need a new screen because of DSE?
You start by calling them. They will send out a tech, hopefully the tech sees it. If the tech does not, ask for another tech to come out......

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are 2 issues that are huge for me with the new FW that is coming soon which I hope it fixes

#1 The dimming issue in HDR gaming
#2 The lack of multi channel PCM via eArc
How is the dimming issue observed when playing games?

not sure if related, but one thing in notice is that when there is a bright image like a logo, against a dark background, there is quite a bit of glowing around the edges that makes the whole area seem bright and slowly transitioning to the dark color.

one example is in the CoDmodern warfare connection screen. The MW logo brightness bleeds out quite far into the dark grey background.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

not sure if related, but one thing in notice is that when there is a bright image like a logo, against a dark background, there is quite a bit of glowing around the edges that makes the whole area seem bright and slowly transitioning to the dark color.

one example is in the CoDmodern warfare connection screen. The MW logo brightness bleeds out quite far into the dark grey background.
When playing games on ps4 pro at least for me the image is nice and bright and after a while it dims a ton and then goes back to normal but later on dims a ton again. It is very easy to see in games like Last of us 2 and Ghost of Tshushima. And no I do have eco turned off. This has been well established by many even on Youtube

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

What you described is normal for QLED LED sets

·
Registered
33 Posts
When playing games on ps4 pro at least for me the image is nice and bright and after a while it dims a ton and then goes back to normal but later on dims a ton again. It is very easy to see in games like Last of us 2 and Ghost of Tshushima. And no I do have eco turned off. This has been well established by many even on Youtube
gotcha, I have experienced this before but now that I think of it, I haven’t noticed it in the last several weeks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I notice that when subtitles or credits come on (white with a black background), they are white at first then change to a grayish color. Sometimes, when there are two lines of subtitles on the screen at the same time, the top line is white and the bottom line only turns to the grayish color. Is this normal? Can any settings be changed to fix this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a heads up on this. If you go to Samsung’s TV forums this topic is the first thread. One of the people in the thread was able to get in contact with one of their engineers. The email from the engineer said he was able to reproduce the bug and that he’s sent it to his counter parts over seas. Hopefully this means a firmware update here shortly to finally fix it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
How long before it starts dimming? Just curious. I haven't seen it yet. But I haven't played a game for more than 10 minutes or so yet since I got the set.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Does anyone know how to change what input arc switches to on start up? Every time I turn on my set , it stays on the last input on my receiver , but on pass through with the receiver off, then after about 15 seconds the receiver kicks on and reverts to the apple TV input. I see in the settings for start on last app, but I'm not using the internal apps. My last 2 Sony's would just leave the receiver on the last input when turned on by arc. But this set reverts to the apple TV every time

1861 - 1880 of 2274 Posts