AVS Forum banner

2020 Samsung Q90T Owners Thread - No Price Talk

2M views 14K replies 742 participants last post by  Scarhead666 
#1 ·
The Samsung Q90T is Samsung's top 4K QLED model for 2020. It is available in 55″, 65″ and 75″ screen sizes while delivering superb picture quality. This TV is great for use in the living room TV, bedroom, den… it thrives in bright as well as dark spaces. The Q90T excels at gaming, streaming, watching movies and more.

#3 ·
I picked up a 55" Q90T from BB a couple days ago. I'm not nearly as qualified as some to give a complete review, but after a few more days of evaluation I'll attempt to elaborate. As an owner of a Q8FN (which this will replace), a Q9FN, a Q90R, A C7 & a C9, I have a lot to compare it to. So far, I am relatively impressed. I think this might be a keeper. It generally takes me several weeks to finally decide on a panel; the room this tv is installed in requires a 55", so I don't know how relevant my observations will be for those who go with 65"+. I prematurely evaluated a Q80R and a Q900R last year as acceptable and even desirable, but after several more weeks of use ended up returning them both. More to come.

#42 ·
I ave been eyeing the 77 lg cx myself. The only problem is the burn in issue especially since I am a big gamer. Although most people on the LGCX thread told me i should not worry about it. They al lsaid they been playing games on OLED for a while and have not had a issue with burn in.

#46 ·
I guess it all depends on the person's calibration but I can only speak for me I have not noticed any blooming or black crushing yet. I have it on movie mode and I'm still trying to find the sweet spot with calibration. I'm just going by eye but will definitely have it professionally calibrated when Covid-19 let's up a bit.

#52 ·
***Sounds like you're enjoying your new TV! I've always wondered if firmware updates from the manufacturer can alter calibrations after the fact. It would seem to me that if Samsung (or any other manufacturer) rolls out an enhancement or say a different HDR adjustment - - that could negate your calibration at any point in time after it was calibrated. At any rate - - trust your eyes the most. I believe with today's LCD technology - - you can get a pretty accurate picture with some tweaking of the "out of the box" settings.

Down the road, I'll be looking at the Samsung Q800T, which is an 8K TV with the main difference being the upgraded 8K processor. And I know there is little 4K material (outside of streaming) and certainly no 8K content but the processing and upscaling capability is far more important to me. I just do not see broadcast or cable TV providing much 4K/HDR content and let alone 8K material and what's most important is how the TV handles the content you watch today. Glad to hear about the lack of visible black crushing or blooming.

#67 ·
I am looking to buy a 55" Q90T. I currently own a Sony Oled A9f and an LG Oled C6. I can't say enough how much I love the picture on these, but I worry about playing my video games. I was wondering if anyone had a chance to compare their Q90T to last years Q80R and Q90R? I keep waiting for LCD's to get close to Oled's. I can only fit a 55"s and the Q90T is the highest end 55" non-oled in my opinion. My house would use the tv for gaming, movies, and streaming tv.

#68 ·
I have both. IMHO, the Q90T (mine is 55") is superior with motion and brighter overall than my Q90R (65"). They seem to be somewhat equal regarding local dimming performance, which is surprising considering the Q90T has 1/5 the zones of the Q90R. I also have C7 & C9 OLEDs. The QLED's blow the OLED's out of the water in terms of brightness and reflection rejection, however in terms of black level performance in a darkened room, nothing matches the OLED. Because I also have OLED, I can see the slightest glow in the QLED blacks that many would not find that objectionable. I've yet to see any QLED with black bar movie content that I could't detect some faint glow over into the bars. It just depends on how particular you are. Both the Q90R & Q90T have the wide angle filter which is a great improvement, but as far as inky blacks they still look best straight on.

I personally still prefer the QLED over the OLED in general, mostly because I can use them without worry of burn-in, the Sammys handle low quality input such as Spectrum cable far better and I crave the extreme brightness they deliver. But they are all fine tv's & I'm blessed to have both!

#70 · (Edited)
Welp... base on my research and what I heard about last years Vizio Quantum X (comparing to other top of the line TVs at the time). I decided I will not wait for Vizio and placed an order for the q90T. It will be the TV for my gaming consoles. Estimate delivery date is Next Friday.

Edit: been researching day and night and honestly don't see other 2020 TVs beating the Samsung out for gaming. Maybe in some parts with color accuracy but I feel going with Samsung I'll have an overall best experience in all parts of the TV. Plus it is so far the only 2020 TV that will include Freesync Premium, and as a gamer that is somewhat important to me. Would love an OLED but knowing games I don't want to risk loosing my money. Plus I don't want to deal with returning the unit at all. Once I have it, I don't wanna deal with anything else lol... I already spent hours researching for just a new 4k tv.

#71 ·
Edit: been researching day and night and honestly don't see other 2020 TVs beating the Samsung out for gaming. Maybe in some parts with color accuracy but I feel going with Samsung I'll have an overall best experience in all parts of the TV. Plus it is so far the only 2020 TV that will include Freesync Premium, and as a gamer that is somewhat important to me. .

Freesync Premium doesnt say anything.Look here =

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-freesync-monitor-glossary-definition-explained,6009.html

The only thing which may be an advantage is LFC, but for a TV HDMI 2.1 features are way more important. Remember 2.1 has its own format for Variable Refresh Rate which is seperate but compatible with Freesync or GSync. Why do you think LG could enable GSync via Software on their TVs ? Because they have 2.1 Ports.
What you really want to know is =

- does Samsung Support a VRR/Freesync range from 40-120hz @4K like LG

- 4K 120hz at 4:4:4 compability or rather 4K 120hz with HDR enabled

Last year Samsung only had a Freesync range from 48-60hz @4K. The new consoles will target a stable 60hz so you gain not much from having Freesync at this range.

#80 ·
I have not but will test out tomorrow with Call of duty and do what you did there and test it out. I only turned on Game motion plus on once and it made the picture super brighter... Almost to bright. For whatever reason when I shut it off my calibration settings where messed up and then when I played anything with hdr it made the screen very dark. So I factory reset and put everything back the way I had it and was working fine again. Weird. I'm still learning with this tv so I could be doing something wrong. So I don't use game motion for now but everything runs smoothly without it. I'll see tomorrow if it does that green thing on cod. But haven't noticed it on the games I've been playing.

#102 ·
I heard that it is better. The point is that the Q90T is the successor of the Q85R which had 96 zones. This is obviously better for game mode since the TV doesnt need to manage the high zone count (480 on the Q90R) while also keeping input lag low.

Also the Q90T apparently has better contrast ratio than a Q90R - of course all this has to be tested from a reputable source like rtings.

#104 ·
Do any of you with this set have a spectroradiometer or spectrophotometer (an i1 pro/2, jeti, colorimetry research cr-250, etc.) where you can create a .ccss file with displaycal that can be used with that or HCFR (or any argyllcms program, really)? Reference spectro preferred, but any spectro is better than not...