AVS Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2292 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
How is the upscaling on the A8H when watching a satellite box at 720p?

I currently have a 1080p Panasonic plasma, wondering how the PQ will compare. My panny is a 60" so size will be comparable. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hate Sony with a passion, but I have to say, I couldn't pass up this deal. I'm hoping it's good. I'm not a super gamer so I'll be happy with 4k/60 for my next gen gaming needs. As a long time LG Oled User, I just wanted to try something different.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I hate Sony with a passion, but I have to say, I couldn't pass up this deal. I'm hoping it's good. I'm not a super gamer so I'll be happy with 4k/60 for my next gen gaming needs. As a long time LG Oled User, I just wanted to try something different.
Why do you hate them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why do you hate them?
Their disgusting anti consumer business practices and the simple fact that every Sony Product I've ever owned has been an over priced piece of crap that broke after 5 or 6 months. EVERY one of them. From my PS4 Pro to my Cameras to my 4K Blu-ray player. I've NEVER had a good long term experience with any Sony Product I've owned, and I've owned a lot of them. But they keep getting me and I keep thinking "this is the time it all lives up to the potential and promise".

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Their disgusting anti consumer business practices and the simple fact that every Sony Product I've ever owned has been an over priced piece of crap that broke after 5 or 6 months. EVERY one of them. From my PS4 Pro to my Cameras to my 4K Blu-ray player. I've NEVER had a good long term experience with any Sony Product I've owned, and I've owned a lot of them. But they keep getting me and I keep thinking "this is the time it all lives up to the potential and promise".
Wow, bad luck man. Hope you have good luck with the A8H. My experience is that Sony products are generally excellent. I would not hesitate to buy Sony. They are not always my first choice, but they seem to make the best OLEDs available in US. If I was buying one, the A8H is what I would get.

·
Registered
190 Posts
How is the upscaling on the A8H when watching a satellite box at 720p?

I currently have a 1080p Panasonic plasma, wondering how the PQ will compare. My panny is a 60" so size will be comparable. Thanks.
Not as good as your plasma.

I have a Panasonic plasma and Directv looks better on the plasma. That being said the Sony looks better everywhere else

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all.

I would like to share my short purchase story and ask a few questions.

I wasn't really looking for a tv for myself but for my brother. Didn't find anything in his price range so I thought I'll look for a new tv for me and give him mine. This decision was made a day after the recent deals so I missed the great deal on this set. I spent the time to call or chat with every dealer who sells this tv and asked to still get the deal. Every one but b&h photo said no. B&h offered me a price $100 above the past sale and I accepted. There is a small catch as the tv is backorder and they cannot give an accurate time frame for receiving more. 4 to 6 week plus shipping time is the longest I was told and as short as 10 business days plus shipping. I have anxiety and other issues so waiting for this delivery is already affecting me negatively. Today I decide to try and get anyone to price match my purchase from b&h. Everyone said no again except 1 local retailer by the name of Flanners. They will match that price and have it in stock. I will pick it up on Monday. Super happy!

I have always had Sony flagships until a few years ago. They were out of my price range and had to settle for mid range like the 900f.

My question is... how to identify a bad panel?

Also I am an avid gamer and would like your recommendations on how to play without temp or perm burn in.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, after months of waiting, I can finally say I’m the owner of a 65 A8H! I’m so thrilled. Just got it set up, and the picture is stunning so far, but I’m having a Wi-Fi connectivity issue.

I’ve got both 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks through my router. I’ve tried about 15 times to connect the A8H to the 5ghz network, and it won’t do it. It’s giving me a variety of errors, such as that the password is incorrect (it is correct—I’ve triple-checked) or that it’s connected to the network but the network isn’t connected to the internet (that’s not the case—it’s working fine on my phone). It’s throwing up a lot of different errors, but basically it just can’t connect.

However, I’m having no issues at all with the 2.4ghz network. I’d prefer not to use that, though, since it’s slower.

Any ideas? I’m thrilled with the A8H so far, apart from this.
You probably should check the channel of your 5ghz SSID. Some wifi adapters have trouble with certain channels. I'm not sure what the A8H supports, but that sounds like the culprit.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yup. I ordered this morning and it was delivered by BB a few hours later. I think this will mean my CX is going back. I am much more a movie/TV/sports watcher than gamer (just casual open-world type games), so this is now a no-brainer. Super excited to get home!
Please let us know how you like it. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well IF it is true what you are saying, then I’d have to conclude that you are a clod for BUYING that “piece of crap” SONY.🙄

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is this Tv to dimm for HDR?
Few things to considerv and first is how bright the room is. When you put the tv next to lcd then it's obviously dimmer. If you are very sensitive to brightness and must have the brightest then you need to stay with lcd panels.
In stores looking go oled and lcd I never liked the brightness level of that oled and that's one of the reasons I have upgraded but when I saw the A8H next to the 900h and 950h and realized how I liked the pq of the A8H I decided the li want the A8H down the road. The price cut few days ago sealed the deal for me.
I have it mounted on a wall with semi bright room from the side with a bracket that tilts and swivels then I gotta tell you I don't miss the brightness of the lcd.
Super happy with the A8H

·
Registered
131 Posts
Had some early connectivity issues as well. I was able to connect to both 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks but after a short time, I received an error that there is ... no internet connection. I've read that users of 900H and 950H have had similar issues and was helped was a 'restart' - either via unplugging the set for about 5 minutes or holding the power button on the remote for about 3 seconds. I think I also saw someone suggesting to check the time / date settings to make sure the switch to obtain data from the network is selected (no idea where that came from but...). I've performed all of those and it appears - for now - that the issues with WiFi connectivity have gone away.
Sadly, this didn’t work. I’ve done a little bit more reading in forums, and, like you, I’ve found that other Sony users are having this problem on both their LCD and OLED lines. I’m hoping it’s a software problem that they’ll eventually be able to fix. I have until January to return/exchange my TV, so I will stick with it for now in the hopes that this issue gets ironed out.

Pretty dang happy with the TV, otherwise. Uniformity on my panel is acceptable. I have almost no banding, but some pink tinting in the lower corners on both sides of the screen. I can see it on the gray user menus, and in all white shots, but I can’t really notice it in 99% of content so far, so I’m ready to live with it.

Another slight concern: I did notice some extremely ugly near black macroblocking in a dark scene in Good Lord Bird on the Hulu/Showtime app...like, atrociously bad. But it’s the only time I’ve seen anything like it so far, and I’m hoping it was just an artifact of bad compression.

So this hasn’t been a flawless experience, but I never expect new electronics to give me that. Overall, I’m totally pleased with the purchase. I had wondered how much of a step up it would feel like coming from my 2016 Vizio P series, which gave me a really lovely picture with tremendous black levels for an LCD, but, even so, the difference is undeniable. Far and away the best picture I’ve ever seen in a TV, apart from the minor tinting and the bad macroblocking in that one scene—which may well have been caused by the source material.

Happy to join you all as an A8H owner! Here’s hoping I can find a fix for the 5ghz issue, because that’s the only major concern I have with this TV.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The common denominator in ALL your stuff breaking would seem to be YOU. The fault likely isn’t Sony. I‘ve had the exact opposite experience. I have Sony products dating back 20 years and they are all still functional. Seems strange that even after so many bad experiences you couldn’t pass up a “deal”.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, just received my A8H today looks great 2 questions, how do I adjust picture size I go to the menu but everything is grayed out ? I would like to zoom the picture to have all pixels wear in. 2nd while watching HBO max via Apple TV dark areas start to strobe this happened on game of thrones and love craft county any one have this problem

1981 - 2000 of 2292 Posts