AVS Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 2291 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
My tv also has a pink tint on the left side , I hope it will even out ? I have very little vertical banding with is great because my lg C7 had a thick band so I’ll take the pick over bands

·
Registered
131 Posts
My tv also has a pink tint on the left side , I hope it will even out ? I have very little vertical banding with is great because my lg C7 had a thick band so I’ll take the pick over bands
I agree. Tinting is less distracting to me than banding or DSE, so I’ll take it over those. That’s why I’m not looking to exchange my panel, even though my tinting is somewhat pronounced. Could end up with something that bothers me more. FWIW, I’m no expert, but it’s my impression that tinting doesn’t improve much over time. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi all.

I would like to share my short purchase story and ask a few questions.

I wasn't really looking for a tv for myself but for my brother. Didn't find anything in his price range so I thought I'll look for a new tv for me and give him mine. This decision was made a day after the recent deals so I missed the great deal on this set. I spent the time to call or chat with every dealer who sells this tv and asked to still get the deal. Every one but b&h photo said no. B&h offered me a price $100 above the past sale and I accepted. There is a small catch as the tv is backorder and they cannot give an accurate time frame for receiving more. 4 to 6 week plus shipping time is the longest I was told and as short as 10 business days plus shipping. I have anxiety and other issues so waiting for this delivery is already affecting me negatively. Today I decide to try and get anyone to price match my purchase from b&h. Everyone said no again except 1 local retailer by the name of Flanners. They will match that price and have it in stock. I will pick it up on Monday. Super happy!

I have always had Sony flagships until a few years ago. They were out of my price range and had to settle for mid range like the 900f.

My question is... how to identify a bad panel?

Also I am an avid gamer and would like your recommendations on how to play without temp or perm burn in.

Thanks for reading.
Hi, get the tv, put in d nice settings, fire up some good clean content. Trust your eyes. This is the most important test. If you like what you see, don’t look at the grey slides. Enjoy your Sony oled bad ass mf’in tv.
If something looks off, evaluate your expectations. Did you buy from a return friendly retailer?
I live 80 miles from BB. Bought the 5 year geek warranty. Absolutely pulled up the slides. Happy with It.
Get an led if you have worries about burn in man. Geek boys cover burn in on my set for 5 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So been debating between the a8h and the cx. I’m coming from Sony so I’m more comfortable with the Android os and more importantly my wife is more comfortable with it. I guess the only thing that worries me is the a8h lacking hdmi 2.1. Now I’d just be using the tv for basic streaming and blu rays/4k blu rays. I game here and there but nothing major. If I don’t care too much about the gaming side of things does 2.1 make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
131 Posts
So been debating between the a8h and the cx. I’m coming from Sony so I’m more comfortable with the Android os and more importantly my wife is more comfortable with it. I guess the only thing that worries me is the a8h lacking hdmi 2.1. Now I’d just be using the tv for basic streaming and blu rays/4k blu rays. I game here and there but nothing major. If I don’t care too much about the gaming side of things does 2.1 make that much of a difference?
For all intents and purposes, 2.1 is only important for gaming on a 4K set. It can handle an 8K signal, but neither of these TVs can, so its a non-starter there. And it is unclear how much the new consoles will make use of the enhanced HDMI 2.1 capabilities. My guess is that very few games will run at [email protected] Basically, it doesn’t sound to me like 2.1 is something that should sway your decision between these two.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi, just received my A8H today looks great 2 questions, how do I adjust picture size I go to the menu but everything is grayed out ? I would like to zoom the picture to have all pixels wear in. 2nd while watching HBO max via Apple TV dark areas start to strobe this happened on game of thrones and love craft county any one have this problem
I use the HBOMax app built into the TV. Zero problems. No strobing. Lovecraft Country looks amazing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You don’t need it. I would implore you to watch this video. He makes excellent points and answers your question directly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
And it is unclear how much the new consoles will make use of the enhanced HDMI 2.1 capabilities. My guess is that very few games will run at [email protected]
Agree. My guess is some games will support it or be “enhanced” by it but none will require it. Those same games will run fine at [email protected] The majority of consumers do not have HDMI 2.1 TVs. Sony and Microsoft aren’t going to cut out a majority of the new console buying market segment by also requiring that they have to have a brand new TV in order for games run properly. No one is going to want to hear that after shelling out $400-$500 on a PS5. Even as far as gaming is concerned, it seems 2.1 is really only important if you’re connecting the TV to a PC with one of the new Nvidia graphics cards installed and those won’t even be out until 2021.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The common denominator in ALL your stuff breaking would seem to be YOU. The fault likely isn’t Sony. I‘ve had the exact opposite experience. I have Sony products dating back 20 years and they are all still functional. Seems strange that even after so many bad experiences you couldn’t pass up a “deal”.
Yep. My family has owned Sony products for over 40 years and have never had a single issue. The Sony Trinitron CRT TVs we had lasted for decades. The only mediocre experience I’ve had with Sony was with an early plasma (2005) and simply returned it without any issues. The A8H is a phenomenal TV. Absolutely thrilled with it. Have had Fujitsu and Panasonic Plasmas prior to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, get the tv, put in d nice settings, fire up some good clean content. Trust your eyes. This is the most important test. If you like what you see, don’t look at the grey slides. Enjoy your Sony oled bad ass mf’in tv.
If something looks off, evaluate your expectations. Did you buy from a return friendly retailer?
I live 80 miles from BB. Bought the 5 year geek warranty. Absolutely pulled up the slides. Happy with It.
Get an led if you have worries about burn in man. Geek boys cover burn in on my set for 5 years.
Thanks for your reply.
I do plan to apply d-nices settings.
I purchased at a local high end a/v retailer/installer by the name of Flanners in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Not sure on their return policy as I was so happy that a local store with A8hs in stock was willing to match a purchase I made from B&H photo. Again 1 day past all the great deals I was able to talk b&h into a price $100 over the past sales price and then got Flanners to price match that price. B&H was on backorder and could not give an accurate time as to when I would receive my A8h. I was looking at 2 to 6 weeks before they have stock and 5 to 7 days for delivery. I'm sure they have at least a 15 day return frame, plenty enough time to identify issues.

As for gaming and the cx/bx.... 2 weeks ago I installed a 65in bx for my brother and ran through many devices and formats to test out the new set. The picture quality is very poor in my opinion. It is full of digital artifacts. The upscaling of the bx is horrible compared to say a 2019 nvidia shield pros upscaling and can not be turned of or tweeked. I see no reason to have high speed hdmi 2.1 and all the features it supports if overall it looks like crap. To be fair his ps4 pro did look superb however I have not seen my sp4 pro on the A8h yet. Not to mention that we will not see many 120hz games on ps5 or Xbox games for some time.

As for their warranty.... it was a very poor warranty. Repair only unless unrepairable, no burn in coverage....ect. price was low though $249 for 5 years.

As for lcd.... I currently have a 900f but how in the world could I pass up the A8h at a 1,399 price point.

Edit... I meant to say Gx not Bx.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a Sony fan, but most gamers would buy LG's CX OLED TV. It has the fastest input lag, VRR, ALLM, G-SYNC, FreeSync and HGiG.
Sorry I missed your reply.

I do about an equal amount of both movies/tv and gaming so to sacrifice overall picture quality for features that will not even be barely used for some time to come is a no Brainer for me. Not to mention the numerous things the A8h does the cx/bx does not.

I recently installed a 65in bx for my brother and put it to the test. In my opinion the picture quality doesn't compare to the sony, especially with non 4k content. From what I saw the bx was doing a very poor job at upscaling. I'm not familiar with all the correct terms but it was full of digital artifacts. Similar but way worse when I turn up the upscaling to high with a Nvidia shield pro. I did not find a way to disable or tweek the bx's upscaling.

Also I much prefer android over what ever lg call their os. I can do sooo much more with android over any other including the externals like Roku and such.

I spent much time comparing these 2 tvs at rtings for my brother prior to his bx purchase. I see that the cx is rated higher by them and they have all these graphs and numbers to back up their claim but my eyes don't work like the pc or lappy they use to produce their claim. Rtings also claimed the Samsung q90 soundbar to be better than the nakamichi shockwafe ultra 9.4.2 but I had the Sammy and currently have the naka and the naka imo is far superior. With all that being said I personally never make a purchase based on anyone's ratings or opinions. I use them for a base for myself and make my decision based on my liking.

Edit... I said Bx but I meant Gx.

·
Registered
658 Posts
ANY tinting will NEVER go away. If you have it, swap it out. Most panels are tint free on the sony's.

·
Registered
357 Posts
At least on consoles 120fps has tons of sacrifices for in game visuals. Look at Dirt 5 on Series X in 120 mode, they has to virtually cut down all the crowd spectators, vastly reduced trees, shadows and other assets across board just to get it running up to speed so at that point the game looks like a PS3 game almost. Would you really trade the bulk of next gen visual experience for such high framerate? Of course unless you game on a 3080 rig then I suppose there's merit to it but not even it can maintain that speed for true next gen games and DLSS could only help you so much.

·
Vendor
27,497 Posts
For all intents and purposes, 2.1 is only important for gaming on a 4K set. It can handle an 8K signal, but neither of these TVs can, so its a non-starter there. And it is unclear how much the new consoles will make use of the enhanced HDMI 2.1 capabilities. My guess is that very few games will run at [email protected] Basically, it doesn’t sound to me like 2.1 is something that should sway your decision between these two.
That's what the experts are saying. HDMI 2.1 is mainly going to help 8K. We wI'll find out very soon though :)

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
The common denominator in ALL your stuff breaking would seem to be YOU. The fault likely isn’t Sony. I‘ve had the exact opposite experience. I have Sony products dating back 20 years and they are all still functional. Seems strange that even after so many bad experiences you couldn’t pass up a “deal”.
The OPPO blu ray players were highly touted for their features, performance, build quality and loyal supporters but the three I owned (different models) all had issues. Thanks to you I now know it was probably my fault as I was the common denominator.

IMO the A8H is the best and most under appreciated television for PQ on the market this year and I came so close to pulling the trigger when it was on sale earlier this week (I actually did but later cancelled) but my B8 has a “clean” panel so I decided not to upgrade and leave well enough alone. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The OPPO blu ray players were highly touted for their features, performance, build quality and loyal supporters but the three I owned (different models) all had issues.
That’s a far cry from what that other guy said. And I quote:
“every Sony Product I've ever owned has been an over priced piece of crap that broke after 5 or 6 months. EVERY one of them. From my PS4 Pro to my Cameras to my 4K Blu-ray player. I've NEVER had a good long term experience with any Sony Product I've owned, and I've owned a lot of them. But they keep getting me and I keep thinking "this is the time it all lives up to the potential and promise".”

So he just paid $1800 for an item he expects will break in 5 to 6 months And he considers it a deal. 🙄 There is little to nothing to complain about when it comes to the A8H but believe me, he’ll find something.

Also, my guess is that you overpaid for those Oppo players. They weren’t any different than players that cost less. It’s called marketing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Marantz SR7010 and just purchased a Sony A8H. Should I use the 4K 60/50 upscaling from the AVR or let the Sony TV do it for HDMI sources? Is there a big upscaling difference between a high end Marantz or other brand AVR and the Sony OLED? Might be splitting hairs here but want to get other opinions on this.
Thx!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I have a Marantz SR7010 and just purchased a Sony A8H. Should I use the 4K 60/50 upscaling from the AVR or let the Sony TV do it for HDMI sources? Is there a big upscaling difference between a high end Marantz or other brand AVR and the Sony OLED? Might be splitting hairs here but want to get other opinions on this.
Thx!
Set up both and decide which looks better.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I got my A8H delivered on Thursday and I finally got some help to get it on my stand on Friday night. I have all my devices hooked to my Onkyo RZ3100 receiver, UB820, TiVo Roamio, Roku Ultra, and I have that then hooked into HDMI 3. I notice after I set up the TV I have 3 things listed for HDMI 3, cable, Roku, and generic listing which I believe os the UB820. The question I have is this correct or should I have just one listing for HDMI 3 and name it Onkyo RZ 3100?

2001 - 2020 of 2291 Posts