AVS Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 3989 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all, I just had a 55 inch A8H Installed Thursday by Best Buy geek squad, did a great job, They told me to leave it on standard picture mode for 100 hours, then it would be good to go for calibration. Anyways, till then, am I supposed to exit out of apps? I know I can go back to the home screen to whatever I was watching on my satellite, am I supposed to close an app when I’m done using it? Thanks

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
So, is the "secret" Pro mode accessible without Calman? D=Nice said to access the set's IP and port # but I don't know if he meant with or without Calman?

bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, first time posting. Sorry if this has been asked before but at 102 pages long I dont have time to read the whole thread. I just purchased Sony A8H on Prime day. Using an Apple TV 4k, the first night I watched Pixar's Coco in Dolby Vision. Thought it looked spectacular but the darks maybe looked too dark (I worked on the film and so I know it very well). Second night I watched Interstellar. it looked way too dark in my opinion. And when I say dark I mean the shadows just look crushed. And in Dolby Vision Bright the whites look too blown out. I'm not sure what to do as settings all seem correct. Maybe Im just not used to HDR. Or maybe I just dont like the picture on this TV. Any thoughts on this? Anyone got any idea of how to improve my settings? Appreciate any pointers.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
So, is the "secret" Pro mode accessible without Calman? D=Nice said to access the set's IP and port # but I don't know if he meant with or without Calman?

bob
You don't need calman on pc. You just need the free calman for bravia app for your tv that is found in the play store. Just copy the ip address and port which reads something like "192.268.xx.xx:9022" onto a web browser that is connected to the same network as your tv and that will unlock these modes.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hi, first time posting. Sorry if this has been asked before but at 102 pages long I dont have time to read the whole thread. I just purchased Sony A8H on Prime day. Using an Apple TV 4k, the first night I watched Pixar's Coco in Dolby Vision. Thought it looked spectacular but the darks maybe looked too dark (I worked on the film and so I know it very well). Second night I watched Interstellar. it looked way too dark in my opinion. And when I say dark I mean the shadows just look crushed. And in Dolby Vision Bright the whites look too blown out. I'm not sure what to do as settings all seem correct. Maybe Im just not used to HDR. Or maybe I just dont like the picture on this TV. Any thoughts on this? Anyone got any idea of how to improve my settings? Appreciate any pointers.
Don't use apple tv. It sucks in DV. Dim on sonys, raised blacks on LG. Use another streamer, or force hdr10 on the apple.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
You don't need calman on pc. You just need the free calman for bravia app for your tv that is found in the play store. Just copy the ip address and port which reads something like "192.268.xx.xx:9022" onto a web browser that is connected to the same network as your tv and that will unlock these modes.

Thanks!

bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys what is the best picture mode for dark room movie watching and for sunny room movie watching? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Great Movie. Nice work :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hm, I think Disney+ looks the same from the TV or from the Apple TV. I work for Pixar and Im looking at the original rendered frames on my monitor and comparing them to the Sony and the A8H is far from our intended image. The image on monitor looks beautiful, The TV looks way too dark and over processed, in my opinion. (edit - Im using Ratatouille as reference in this instance).

·
Registered
154 Posts
EDIT: I think I solved this. Leaving it here in case others have this issue. It seems that “Sound Mode Sync” can cause serious lag (I found this info on another forum). I disabled it, and, voila, gaming feels the way it should with an 18ms lag.

For posterity, here was my earlier question:

[So I connected my ps4 to the A8H last night to play around, and I noticed what I would consider very bad input lag, even in Game Mode. I’m not a hardcore gamer, which is one reason I chose the Sony over the LG, but I do game casually and I understood that this TV should have an ~18ms input lag.

Here’s what I’m experiencing: a noticeable pause between, say, pushing the jump button and jumping, and between changing directions when moving. It feels like it’s half a second or longer. It’s making the ps4 feel unusable.

I plugged into my computer monitor to check my sanity, and there is no perceptible lag there. The ultimate check on my sanity was having my girlfriend play and asking her if she noticed anything. She confirmed that the character doesn’t seem to be moving when you press the button.

I’ve got the TV in default Game Mode. I also tried manually turning off all processing that’s still left on in the default Game Mode setting. No help. I’m plugged into port #2. Is one of the inputs a game input on this TV? I couldn’t find any info on that, but it’s my last idea.

Any suggestions? Has anybody else here tried using the ps4 with this TV and had similar or different results?

I still love this TV, but between this issue and the inability to connect to my 5ghz band, I’m starting to wonder if I should trade it in.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Hm, I think Disney+ looks the same from the TV or from the Apple TV. I work for Pixar and Im looking at the original rendered frames on my monitor and comparing them to the Sony and the A8H is far from our intended image. The image on monitor looks beautiful, The TV looks way too dark and over processed, in my opinion. (edit - Im using Ratatouille as reference in this instance).
Maybe post your settings?

bob

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
That is completely false. It's brighter on the built in app. This tv is not way too dark and over processed. That's a complete myth and just regurgitated rhetoric that has been repeatedly debunked. I had light cannon LCDs which had pixar material on disney+ look way too dark because that's the way it was mastered. It has nothing to do with the tv.

·
Vendor
28,048 Posts
Yep. My family has owned Sony products for over 40 years and have never had a single issue. The Sony Trinitron CRT TVs we had lasted for decades. The only mediocre experience I’ve had with Sony was with an early plasma (2005) and simply returned it without any issues. The A8H is a phenomenal TV. Absolutely thrilled with it. Have had Fujitsu and Panasonic Plasmas prior to it.
I remember the Trinitron, the 36" flat tube was a beast...

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is completely false. It's brighter on the built in app. This tv is not way too dark and over processed. That's a complete myth and just regurgitated rhetoric that has been repeatedly debunked. I had light cannon LCDs which had pixar material on disney+ look way too dark because that's the way it was mastered. It has nothing to do with the tv.
Well, I assure you I'm not regurgitating anything. I've never read or heard that opinion before. I am just responding to what I see with my own eyes here.

I feel sure Dolby Vision is the problem. When I plug my Apple TV into my 4 year old Sony LCD TV, Ratatouille looks much more like the way we intended it at the studio. That makes me think that Dolby Vision is applying HDR to a movie that wasn't intended for it on the A8H. Simply, playing Ratatouille from the app on the TV looks too dark. I am looking at a dark scene in the movie. When Remi talks to his father in the rain at the 1 hour mark. The details in the shadows is gone.

I am using DolbyVision Bright. Haven't touched the other settings.

Whats another good reference movie? Interstellar was a very dark looking movie, even in IMax.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@the_leopard pls try setting the picture to Cinema or use the Custom settings provided by D-Nice on the 1st page of this thread .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
@rubenpp Thank you, I will try those settings. But what I notice is that once I play a movie on Disney+ the option to switch to switch to Cinema is gone. I now only have the DolbyVision Dark, Bright or Vivid options. The Cinema option is there when Im on the menu page but not once the movie is playing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@rubenpp Thank you, I will try those settings. But what I notice is that once I play a movie on Disney+ the option to switch to switch to Cinema is gone. I now only have the DolbyVision Dark, Bright or Vivid options. The Cinema option is there when Im on the menu page but not once the movie is playing.
You’re welcome .. D-Nice provided custom settings for HDR and Dolby Vision Bright . Please try those and let us know . Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Well, I assure you I'm not regurgitating anything. I've never read or heard that opinion before. I am just responding to what I see with my own eyes here.

I feel sure Dolby Vision is the problem. When I plug my Apple TV into my 4 year old Sony LCD TV, Ratatouille looks much more like the way we intended it at the studio. That makes me think that Dolby Vision is applying HDR to a movie that wasn't intended for it on the A8H. Simply, playing Ratatouille from the app on the TV looks too dark. I am looking at a dark scene in the movie. When Remi talks to his father in the rain at the 1 hour mark. The details in the shadows is gone.

I am using DolbyVision Bright. Haven't touched the other settings.

Whats another good reference movie? Interstellar was a very dark looking movie, even in IMax.
It looks better to your eyes on an old tv because sdr has higher overall scene apl than hdr or DV which are mastered in dark rooms. So no...totally untrue that your old shows it the way it was intended compared to how it looks like in DV on your a8h. In a dark room, nothing looks dim in DV on my a8h. Nothing at all. if you're watching in a bright room, get an LCD but keep in mind, unless you artificially raise the eotf curve, the DV material that you find to be dim right now will also be dim on a bright tv.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Try raising your gamma. If it's set to -2 change it to 0.

·
Registered
83 Posts
EDIT: I think I solved this. Leaving it here in case others have this issue. It seems that “Sound Mode Sync” can cause serious lag (I found this info on another forum). I disabled it, and, voila, gaming feels the way it should with an 18ms lag.
Sorry if this is a silly question but this setting can be found on the TV or the PS4?

2021 - 2040 of 3989 Posts