AVS Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 3927 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is this something to be worried about?? This is A8H #2 (first one had dead pixels, sound issues, and vertical lines all over the screen no matter the content or the source). The replacement I received doesn't have super noticeable lines during content, but I noticed a darker patch on the upper left part of the screen when on the user menu, in apps, and especially when watching movies with darker scenes. I decided to run test slides (I know, I shouldn't go looking for issues, but this was very noticeable, so I don't count it as "looking").. I don't want to play the panel lottery again, but I will if it's a major problem.

Really I'm wanting to know if this will resolve itself? Or should I go ahead and talk to bestbuy about another replacement?

First picture is 1%
Second picture is 5%
Third picture is 10%
Last picture is 12.5%

After 12.5%, it's still noticeable but isn't as bad as shown in these pictures.. I got the pictures as close to reflecting what it looks like in person. Yet the pictures still catch more than I can see.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate all input.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,282
Is this something to be worried about?? This is A8H #2 (first one had dead pixels, sound issues, and vertical lines all over the screen no matter the content or the source). The replacement I received doesn't have super noticeable lines during content, but I noticed a darker patch on the upper left part of the screen when on the user menu, in apps, and especially when watching movies with darker scenes. I decided to run test slides (I know, I shouldn't go looking for issues, but this was very noticeable, so I don't count it as "looking").. I don't want to play the panel lottery again, but I will if it's a major problem.

Really I'm wanting to know if this will resolve itself? Or should I go ahead and talk to bestbuy about another replacement?

First picture is 1%
Second picture is 5%
Third picture is 10%
Last picture is 12.5%

After 12.5%, it's still noticeable but isn't as bad as shown in these pictures.. I got the pictures as close to reflecting what it looks like in person. Yet the pictures still catch more than I can see.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate all input.
These pictures look really bright. What settings are you using when taking these pictures?

·
Registered
21 Posts
These pictures look really bright. What settings are you using when taking these pictures?
The TV is in Custom mode.
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 50
Peak luminance: Medium

The pictures were taken with my Galaxy S10.. So that could be why its a bit brighter. I just took the same pictures with less light exposure. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,284
The TV is in Custom mode.
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black Level: 50
Peak luminance: Medium

The pictures were taken with my Galaxy S10.. So that could be why its a bit brighter. I just took the same pictures with less light exposure. Let me know what you think.
Those settings are roughly 200 nits. The unit you have is middle of the road. There are better units out there. Your choice on getting another replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought this tv on october 13th when best buy had the sell going for them and i just ran a quick test and got this image that i have noticed a few times.

Now this is my first oled tv so im not sure but would this be considered burn in?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought this tv on october 13th when best buy had the sell going for them and i just ran a quick test and got this image that i have noticed a few times.

Now this is my first oled tv so im not sure but would this be considered burn in? View attachment 3050232
That’s an unusual image. I assume you were watching something for a while that would produce that? I’d assume it’s just image retention and that simply watching varied content will make it go away. I’d be surprised if you got burn in this soon. How long has it been there?

·
Vendor
28,035 Posts

First picture is 1%
Second picture is 5%
Third picture is 10%
Last picture is 12.5%

That panel looks pretty clean if you do not have 300 hours on it yet....I think you will be good in the end once you get some hours on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@D-Nice
Hi, writing from Denmark and being totally new to this I apologize if it's wrong forum. So my old Samsung from 2012 went chapter 11 and I decided to go the OLED way. Bought an LG CX but the magenta tint was too severe for a TV that price ( atleast in my opinion ). After I read page up and page down and have seen every test known to man ( hdtvtest, rtings and so on ) I bought the Sony after concluding on paper it was the better tv as i mainly stream and watch SDR. I never game. Now to the questions as I have also returned this television inside the 14 day window I had finding it way darker than the LG. First of TV's were not calibrated I have just used settings found here.

1. For my use no gaming wanting the "brightest" experience should I go LG CX
again ? Especially DV and so on for ME looked brighter. I know other issues might factor in if we measure etc but for me and the wifey and the kids we don't watch in a batcave but a normally lit living room. ( Why don't u get a QLED one might ask. It's not what I want. )
2. Should I get the Sony and just use an external player / streamer and then get just as bright a picture as the cx? If this can be answered? I have also watched the shoot out but couldn't really interpret if they were equally bright so to speak.
3. On both displays when playing blade runner 2049 remux BR on VLC the room in the starting scene was so dark I couldn't tell the details apart - this is from a pc ofc. Using mpc-hc the room lit up but really kinda washed out the colors especially on the Sony. So again should I perhaps get a shield for better experience and "correct" colors.
4. If I never get it calibrated will I ever see the full potential color and brightness wise in HDR etc? ( It's hard to find in Denmark )

Hope my questions make sense and sorry for the bad English it's not my native tongue :)

I just want the best for that amount of money

Thx in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've just signed up and I've been following the Sony A8H OLED owners thread since purchasing the 65" Sony A8H OLED during the 2 day sale a couple of weeks ago. I finally received delivery and set it up last night and have a few questions that I'm hoping aren't too stupid. Is there a protective film that covers the OLED panel that needs to be removed? I removed a thn film from the bottom of the bezel and the Energy sticker but really can't tell if there is a film covering the screen. Also, what do most prefer for a streaming connection for the internal streaming apps, wireless or wired ethernet? I have both easily available. Th wireless and wired are both from a Comcast (Xfinity) Gateway/Router about 3 feet from the Sony A8H OLED. My wireless is package just below the 1 gig tier (Blast Pro, I think) and I not sure what the wired connection speed would be. This is a really helpful community here with an incredible amount of knowledge and any help you can give me will greatly be appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
D-nice which external device will give me the best results on my A8h 65inch? Netflix, prime and YouTube is all I'm interested in, again I have no issues with the internal apps they look great but if I'm missing out on better image.
I'm using the newest Google Chromecast and couldn't be happier! Only 50 bucks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've just signed up and I've been following the Sony A8H OLED owners thread since purchasing the 65" Sony A8H OLED during the 2 day sale a couple of weeks ago. I finally received delivery and set it up last night and have a few questions that I'm hoping aren't too stupid. Is there a protective film that covers the OLED panel that needs to be removed? I removed a thn film from the bottom of the bezel and the Energy sticker but really can't tell if there is a film covering the screen. Also, what do most prefer for a streaming connection for the internal streaming apps, wireless or wired ethernet? I have both easily available. Th wireless and wired are both from a Comcast (Xfinity) Gateway/Router about 3 feet from the Sony A8H OLED. My wireless is package just below the 1 gig tier (Blast Pro, I think) and I not sure what the wired connection speed would be. This is a really helpful community here with an incredible amount of knowledge and any help you can give me will greatly be appreciated. Thanks so much.
There is no protective film to remove. You’ve already removed all the removable stuff. You’re all good. I’m using a wireless connection with the internal apps and everything works perfectly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
possibly some light at the end of the tunnel for the sound bar - earc problem. I tried his suggestion of turning RS-232 Control to off and played nearly a full episode of Altered Carbon without any problem. I realize his post is 4 months old and realize it's quite possible someone here has already seen, tested, and discounted. Sorry if that's the case. I'll be testing more tonight.

Sound cutting out

scroll down to post by Negative3db.
Thanks for that post and link to the Reddit post. Just changed this setting in hopes of fixing this issue (I am using the TV with my Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver and have experienced sound cut outs with Amazon, Netflix, and Disney+). Let's hope this works!

·
Registered
87 Posts
@D-Nice
Hi, writing from Denmark and being totally new to this I apologize if it's wrong forum. So my old Samsung from 2012 went chapter 11 and I decided to go the OLED way. Bought an LG CX but the magenta tint was too severe for a TV that price ( atleast in my opinion ). After I read page up and page down and have seen every test known to man ( hdtvtest, rtings and so on ) I bought the Sony after concluding on paper it was the better tv as i mainly stream and watch SDR. I never game. Now to the questions as I have also returned this television inside the 14 day window I had finding it way darker than the LG. First of TV's were not calibrated I have just used settings found here.

1. For my use no gaming wanting the "brightest" experience should I go LG CX
again ? Especially DV and so on for ME looked brighter. I know other issues might factor in if we measure etc but for me and the wifey and the kids we don't watch in a batcave but a normally lit living room. ( Why don't u get a QLED one might ask. It's not what I want. )
2. Should I get the Sony and just use an external player / streamer and then get just as bright a picture as the cx? If this can be answered? I have also watched the shoot out but couldn't really interpret if they were equally bright so to speak.
3. On both displays when playing blade runner 2049 remux BR on VLC the room in the starting scene was so dark I couldn't tell the details apart - this is from a pc ofc. Using mpc-hc the room lit up but really kinda washed out the colors especially on the Sony. So again should I perhaps get a shield for better experience and "correct" colors.
4. If I never get it calibrated will I ever see the full potential color and brightness wise in HDR etc? ( It's hard to find in Denmark )

Hope my questions make sense and sorry for the bad English it's not my native tongue :)

I just want the best for that amount of money

Thx in advance
Im not D-nice, but maybe I can help as well. In my case, the Sony A8 was considerably brighter than the LG (however, it had other problems), with DV ad well as with HDR10+. So it might come down to panel variance (just like the magenta tint. I had the same with my CX). Using an external device should not result in a brighter picture than using internal apps and sources. Concerning question no. 4: I guess that this comes down to factory calibration. Some displays are calibrated better than others. So there might also be a difference from one panel to the next panel. Of course, calibration can eek out more out of a screen. Whether this is noticeable depends on factory calibration. Another option might be a Panasonic (even though they also have their fair share of issues e.g with DV IQ, which I had to find out myself :( )

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thx for replying, I can see other posters also find the Sony "too dark" which I know is subjective. Now in SDR the Sony is beautiful in my opinion and the shows I have issues with are Ozark, Haunted House but also some David Attenborough nature stuff in DV. It just looks darker . Is it because the LG overshoots - well I cannot tell :). If you say a firestick or other streaming device isn't gonna relay the material differently compared to the internal apps I only have what I've seen myself as reference. So PQ tracking and other things aside I also find the webos and the LG TV faster in general. Just changing volume on the Sony sometimes took seconds. One might think it's nitpicky but for me so is choosing the Sony based on e.g. better motionflow as I think the LG in real world viewing and not som dark testroom is doing close to the Sony.

Thx for your help If d-nice doesn't convince me my eyes are lying and it perhaps is an adjustment phase coming from an old TV I'll go with the LG.

Cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
I absolutely love this tv just working through some nuances. Every so often when changing channels or just idle the screen will go black with the Bravia logo in lower right corner If I press the ok or enter button it comes back. I was paranoid about burn in initially and tried to set aggressive screen savers Or any setting that would save the screen. Is this normal? Is it a simple setting I can fix? Seems worst when watching tv from set top box.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thx for replying, I can see other posters also find the Sony "too dark" which I know is subjective. Now in SDR the Sony is beautiful in my opinion and the shows I have issues with are Ozark, Haunted House but also some David Attenborough nature stuff in DV. It just looks darker . Is it because the LG overshoots - well I cannot tell :). If you say a firestick or other streaming device isn't gonna relay the material differently compared to the internal apps I only have what I've seen myself as reference. So PQ tracking and other things aside I also find the webos and the LG TV faster in general. Just changing volume on the Sony sometimes took seconds. One might think it's nitpicky but for me so is choosing the Sony based on e.g. better motionflow as I think the LG in real world viewing and not som dark testroom is doing close to the Sony.

Thx for your help If d-nice doesn't convince me my eyes are lying and it perhaps is an adjustment phase coming from an old TV I'll go with the LG.

Cheers
Hello. The Sony is a little on the dark side for me during daytime. I'm used to Plasma so I can deal with that. I purchased Nvidia Shield pro to use it for plex because my NAS is oldish.
Using the Shield player, the Sony is much brighter, even on cinema with min brightness. Too bright for me and i don't care for it because I want more control to limit brightness.
You may want to try it out to see if it fixes your brightness issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is there a way to stop the Bravia notifications from coming on whenever I turn on a device? Oh and how do I rename the inputs to something like Apple TV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for that post and link to the Reddit post. Just changed this setting in hopes of fixing this issue (I am using the TV with my Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver and have experienced sound cut outs with Amazon, Netflix, and Disney+). Let's hope this works!
it doesn't. I had sound go out last night on Netflix.

2281 - 2300 of 3927 Posts