AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 1269 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
A8H comparative picture quality comments

A8H comparative picture quality comments posted by Robert of V E yesterday:

“Sony's A8H is very much like the A9G, but with a few upgrades in the Clearness, aka BFI and how the A8H's X1 Ultimate video processor was tuned to drive the low luminance to deliver more shadow detail and better screen uniformity. Also although LG's are close to the performance of Sony's X1 Ultimate video processing Sony remains the king of video processing . . . they deliver a moderately better overall image quality. However, as it stands today (compared to the A9G) I would say the advantages of the new Clearness, BFI and how the X1 Ultimate processor was re-tuned to deliver better near black performance makes the A8H is the better choice.”

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’m having an inclination that Sony will be going the same route it took with its LED master series, with the new OLED master series and make it 8K. Then leave the A8 line as the 4K oled. They’ll make the A9 their master series line 8K only. That’ll suck because it’ll be super expensive like the LED 8k master series is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi guys,
I have been reading this thread with interest,as I am looking at an A8H .
I am interested though,if I would regret buying an A8G,cheaper alternative,but less features(maybe),as I am not concerned about hdmi 2.1,or e arc

I guess picture quality diffs would be the most difference.I look to you for advice on that front.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
less than 10 seconds ago · #5677
Is this bad screen uniformity in your opinion on my a9g after 3 months... the camera over exposed it by a bit of course.
Are you noticing bad uniformity with content? I would say no based upon your attachment.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Yes, as does the A9G.

OK, so if the A8H has eArc - the only HDMI 2.1 features it doesn't have would be for gaming, computer and console, correct...?

Reactions: BillP

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is there any feedback regarding the internal apps on this TV? I'm looking to purchase this TV at around the same time I finally cut the cord and ditch the wireless DirecTV box connected to my 10-year-old Panasonic plasma hanging on the wall. This will be the first TV with which I actually use nothing but the smart features as all other rooms in my home have either a receiver or soundbar with multiple inputs and devices like Apple TV 4K, Odroid N2 for MKV streaming, HTPC, etc.

When I researched my 85" X900F, I recall certain apps behaving differently (better/worse) when the same internal apps were compared to those used on an external device like the Apple TV 4K. Since this is quite an investment for a 55" TV, I just want to make sure I'm not making an unwise decision since I plan on simply connecting it to my wireless network and using the internal apps with no external devices connected to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there any feedback regarding the internal apps on this TV?
If you go to post 219 and check out the CX-A8H comparison video, somewhere in the 2 hr video they talk about using the internal apps. I won't be using them so I wasn't paying too much attention, but I think they said that if you have the option to use the internal apps as opposed to using an external app, it was best to use the internal app. You should verify that yourself.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Is there any feedback regarding the internal apps on this TV? I'm looking to purchase this TV at around the same time I finally cut the cord and ditch the wireless DirecTV box connected to my 10-year-old Panasonic plasma hanging on the wall. This will be the first TV with which I actually use nothing but the smart features as all other rooms in my home have either a receiver or soundbar with multiple inputs and devices like Apple TV 4K, Odroid N2 for MKV streaming, HTPC, etc.

When I researched my 85" X900F, I recall certain apps behaving differently (better/worse) when the same internal apps were compared to those used on an external device like the Apple TV 4K. Since this is quite an investment for a 55" TV, I just want to make sure I'm not making an unwise decision since I plan on simply connecting it to my wireless network and using the internal apps with no external devices connected to it.

If it's like the A9G, the internal apps will work well, except for any functionality related to eARC.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I’ve never seen overshoot with HDR content on any Sony. I have seen excessive low end gradation step errors (i.e. digital 19-23 have the same luminance value) in HDR content that causes significant loss of shadow detail. However, that is not overshoot— it’s poor factory calibration that can only be resolved via a mainboard or TV replacement.
Don't see why HDR would be any different than SDR regarding overshoot and macroblocking but I don't recall if @jk82 ever posted any HDR reference scenes during his long investigation of this issue many months ago. I've only ever tested for this issue using SDR clips. Could be that in higher quality HDR content it is less noticeable than on highly compressed SDR material. I could have sworn people were complaining about it on some HDR Netflix content. Maybe other OLED owners can chime in?

Regarding the gradation problems, I assume you're referring to the quantization errors demonstrated in the images on the bottom of this page? That pattern demonstrates why some OLEDs had increased macroblocking and artifacting but can also be used to test for overshoot as explained in this post from last year. Pattern is available in both SDR and HDR.

Can you try this pattern on the LG and Sony and let us know which one handles dark color gradation better (without engaging any 'Smooth Gradation' style video processing to mask the problem)?

Edit: Looked through the old macroblocking/flashing thread and found several people complaining about it in HDR/DV but not many timestamps for specific content. Here is one example mentioned by several people. The Revenant UHD 1hr16m to 1hr17m28s - flashing macroblocks above the flames on the top right side of the screen that disappear when paused.

·
Vendor
26,625 Posts
Well if you do not like the sony platform but like everything else, get a firestick ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
In K.I.S.S. terms, Motionflow Custom with Smoothness Min and Clearness 2 is best. No motion interpolation (zero SOE) with high motion resolution for movies and sports with negligible brightness loss.
Would these settings overwrite your recommended settings for Sdr,Hdr, and Dolby Vision? Smoothness 1
Clearness min
Cinemotion Auto

281 - 300 of 1269 Posts