AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 1271 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just today I received my 65" A8H from Value Electronics and no issues passing DTS or Dolby Atmos audio over the eARC HDMI cable to my new Denon AVR-X3600H.
What is the firmware version displayed on the upper right corner when you press the HELP button on the A8H remote?

Reactions: UltraHD enthusiast

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'll check when I get back home. It did need a firmware update and the TV was set by default to install all updates so as soon as I completed the one-time set-up it started the firmware update.

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
What is the firmware version displayed on the upper right corner when you press the HELP button on the A8H remote?
6.4738 is the latest official firmware and comes on the A8H from the factory. The same firmware can be loaded on the 2018/2019 X1 Ultimate chipset OLEDs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
6.4738 is the latest official firmware and comes on the A8H from the factory. The same firmware can be loaded on the 2018/2019 X1 Ultimate chipset OLEDs.
Thanks. FYI the same firmware package v6.4738 is available for download from Sony’s support website for 49/85X950H LCD’s, and has been successfully installed on X950G and Z9F LCD’s. No reports yet about any eARC or internal app audio playback stability improvements.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
So a scosh better P.Q. versus "duck feet"?

A8H comparative picture quality comments posted by Robert of V E yesterday:

“Sony's A8H is very much like the A9G, but with a few upgrades in the Clearness, aka BFI and how the A8H's X1 Ultimate video processor was tuned to drive the low luminance to deliver more shadow detail and better screen uniformity. Also although LG's are close to the performance of Sony's X1 Ultimate video processing Sony remains the king of video processing . . . they deliver a moderately better overall image quality. However, as it stands today (compared to the A9G) I would say the advantages of the new Clearness, BFI and how the X1 Ultimate processor was re-tuned to deliver better near black performance makes the A8H is the better choice.”
Thanks for "recapping" that, as that is EXACTLY what I and I am sure a LOT of others have been considering: A9G vs. A8H. I was really looking forward to a 'A9H' model. Maybe it is petty, but as I only turn over my tv once every 10 years, I wanted a pedestal like the A9G. I find the "duck feet"...it just offends my sensibilities.:) That's a picky personal thing. but I really want to maximize decision points on picture quality. I think Value Electronics and our friend John can help in that regard !

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for "recapping" that, as that is EXACTLY what I and I am sure a LOT of others have been considering: A9G vs. A8H. I was really looking forward to a 'A9H' model. Maybe it is petty, but as I only turn over my tv once every 10 years, I wanted a pedestal like the A9G. I find the "duck feet"...it just offends my sensibilities.:) That's a picky personal thing. but I really want to maximize decision points on picture quality. I think Value Electronics and our friend John can help in that regard !

Robert’s post also stated:

“For the successor to the A9G we can look forward to the 2021 model year that will be showcased at CES 2021 and likely become available in the summer of 2021 to see what Sony engineers develop for the new processor and if LG Display has any OLED module upgrade. But that's a year+ away from coming to the market and the technology has advanced so far we're close to the best we'll see for a long time.“

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does BFI work with the internal apps in the A8H? It was noted that the CX does not.
I saw someone saying BFI can't be changed in HDR/DV mode on the CX. Whether that means it's completely disabled, I'm not sure.

Maybe someone was trying BFI on the CX while using an app playing HDR/DV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So reading through this thread, am I correct in concluding that the A8H would be a significant upgrade over a LG C7?

Ugraditis starting to itch a bit.......
I too have an LG C7 and am curious whether an A8H would be a good upgrade.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
A8H comparative picture quality comments posted by Robert of V E yesterday:

“Sony's A8H is very much like the A9G, but with a few upgrades in the Clearness, aka BFI and how the A8H's X1 Ultimate video processor was tuned to drive the low luminance to deliver more shadow detail and better screen uniformity. Also although LG's are close to the performance of Sony's X1 Ultimate video processing Sony remains the king of video processing . . . they deliver a moderately better overall image quality. However, as it stands today (compared to the A9G) I would say the advantages of the new Clearness, BFI and how the X1 Ultimate processor was re-tuned to deliver better near black performance makes the A8H is the better choice.”
I too have an LG C7 and am curious whether an A8H would be a good upgrade.
Considering the Sony A9G edged out the LG C9 at last years shootout, and going by what Robert said, that would be a yes.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Considering the Sony A9G edged out the LG C9 at last years shootout, and going by what Robert said, that would be a yes.

The Sony edged out the LG in the US shootout - the LG beat the Sony in the European "blind" shootout...

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
The Sony edged out the LG in the US shootout - the LG beat the Sony in the European "blind" shootout...
Didn't the UK shootout put more emphasis on gaming and that is what put the LG over the top? LG if you're a dedicated gamer and Sony if you're more into cinema like content.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Didn't the UK shootout put more emphasis on gaming and that is what put the LG over the top? LG if you're a dedicated gamer and Sony if you're more into cinema like content.
No lg won best hdr,color accuracy, gaming and black detail came second to panny in tone mapping. A9g won best motion and second to panny in video processing and uniformity

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
But a significant factor was using DV Dark with the Sony in the EU shoot-out, which we now know (thanks to D-Nice) is not the correct mode. DV Bright when using external sources over HDMI is the most accurate mode.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
No lg won best hdr,color accuracy, gaming and black detail came second to panny in tone mapping. A9g won best motion and second to panny in video processing and uniformity

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
It was the gaming category that put the LG over the Panasonic. But I stand corrected in that the LG would have won over the Sony without the gaming category.

"The LG C9 and Panasonic GZ2000 were virtually neck-and-neck in most categories until the gaming segment where the former's class-leading input lag of 13ms tipped the scales in favour of the LG."

Winners of HDTVTest's 2019 'blind' TV Shootout announced

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
But a significant factor was using DV Dark with the Sony in the EU shoot-out, which we now know (thanks to D-Nice) is not the correct mode. DV Bright when using external sources over HDMI is the most accurate mode.
The UK shootout was using HDR10 for HDR evaluation. :confused:

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
The UK shootout was using HDR10 for HDR evaluation. :confused:
Sorry about that. It was not clear to me what all the comparisons included. And I never was able to see all the scores, just which brand was the winner and runner-up in each category. It would have been nice to see all the scores in a summary (without having to watch the whole thing) to see whether it was just splitting hairs versus significant differences. I did see that Sony came out higher than LG for motion (Sony was the winner), video processing (2nd behind Panasonic), and uniformity (2nd behind Panasonic), so each clearly has its own strengths and weaknesses. In any case, there are new models now, and this is an A8H thread. And the A8H seems like a winner.:D

Reactions: rmihai0

·
Registered
8 Posts
@D-Nice

I have a Pioneer 5080HD that I got all the way back in 2008, based on your reviews and posts. I could not have been happier for this 12 years. Thank you!

I am watching 50% sports, 50% movies ...
90% 720p and 1080i content and 10% 4k (if I had a chance).
Even for the the many years coming I am not seeing myself watching more than 40-50% content in 4k...

1. Do you think this A8H will be as good for motion as my KURO?

2. Overall, do you think A8H over 5080HD?

Thank you so much!

PS Did you have a chance to run a comparison vs your 101FD?

301 - 320 of 1271 Posts