AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 1269 Posts

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
@D-Nice Thank you!

Also - did you have a chance to compare the Panasonic GZ1000 with the A8H?
For the type of content I am watching .... 50% sports, 50% movies ...90% 720p and 10% 4k ... which one do you think I will be happier with? Thank you again!
The HZ1000 (Panasonic 2020 model!) is not for sale in the USA. In Europe Vincent Teoh will probably be the only one who will do such comparison video on his YouTube Channel HDTVTest. In case that not happens there will be a Vincent Teoh TV Shootout at some point were those TVs will be present.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Just an FYI, the 1 nit drop was with the light output set to 100 nits. It’s essentially the same up to 150 nits.
Aren't we going to be able to see that 1 nit drop with jeweler's glasses? :eek::)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The HZ1000 (Panasonic 2020 model!) is not for sale in the USA. In Europe Vincent Teoh will probably be the only one who will do such comparison video on his YouTube Channel HDTVTest. In case that not happens there will be a Vincent Teoh TV Shootout at some point were those TVs will be present.
Panasonic OLEDs always have been available in Canada ... And there are plenty of Americans that got them from here ...

·
Vendor
26,625 Posts
The Sony edged out the LG in the US shootout - the LG beat the Sony in the European "blind" shootout...
In the end its always a matter of opinion.

Has anyone else reading this thread upgraded from a Plasma that still worked well. If you have do you now have any regrets or was it a wise decision well made. Your thoughts...
Well you can go high end LED or OLED, most plasma guys go OLED.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hard for me to part with my Pro111fd
I did and have regretted it ever since. Sold it to make way for the A9G. I had everything when purchased new, the box and packing material, unopened box containing the speakers, manual, remote,etc. The person who bought it from me drove from Vegas to San Diego to pick it up. Sometimes, you're just too stupid to live.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
''Panasonic Canada has announced the company will not be introducing new televisions to the Canadian market, starting in 2020 and beyond.''

I know that - MY question was about Panasonic GZ1000 , still available in Canada, as a comparison with A8H!!! I was NOT asking about 2020 and beyond models....

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
''Panasonic Canada has announced the company will not be introducing new televisions to the Canadian market, starting in 2020 and beyond.''

I know that - MY question was about Panasonic GZ1000 , still available in Canada, as a comparison with A8H!!! I was NOT asking about 2020 and beyond models....
I will not be getting a Panasonic OLEDs this year. If it is not available in the US, I will not evaluate it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Considering the Sony A9G edged out the LG C9 at last years shootout, and going by what Robert said, that would be a yes.
The Sony edged out the LG in the US shootout - the LG beat the Sony in the European "blind" shootout...
Didn't the UK shootout put more emphasis on gaming and that is what put the LG over the top? LG if you're a dedicated gamer and Sony if you're more into cinema like content.
But a significant factor was using DV Dark with the Sony in the EU shoot-out, which we now know (thanks to D-Nice) is not the correct mode. DV Bright when using external sources over HDMI is the most accurate mode.
Not shure how qualified the audience was though:rolleyes:
In the end its always a matter of opinion.
Yes, but in the end I trust the testing and evaluations of these fine gents as the definitive answer. This is a picture of most of the judges and presenters at Value Electronics 2019 TV Shootout. I think two of the professional Hollywood colorists are missing from the picture. This is a very impressive lineup of video professionals.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I did and have regretted it ever since. Sold it to make way for the A9G. I had everything when purchased new, the box and packing material, unopened box containing the speakers, manual, remote,etc. The person who bought it from me drove from Vegas to San Diego to pick it up. Sometimes, you're just too stupid to live.....

Why did you regret it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
In K.I.S.S. terms, Motionflow Custom with Smoothness Min and Clearness 2 is best. No motion interpolation (zero SOE) with high motion resolution for movies and sports with negligible brightness loss.
Does this mean those settings should now replace the ones listed on page one of your recommended settings - Smoothness 1 and Clearness min?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Yes, but in the end I trust the testing and evaluations of these fine gents as the definitive answer. This is a picture of most of the judges and presenters at Value Electronics 2019 TV Shootout. I think two of the professional Hollywood colorists are missing from the picture. This is a very impressive lineup of video professionals.
Below are the official judges (to parse out the presenters and those who calibrated the televisions):

Channa De Silva, an independent reviewer at 4KHomeTheaterReview.com
Greg Tarr, managing editor at HDGuru.com
David Mackenzie, founder and video compressionist at Fidelity in Motion
David Medina, manager of media operations at HBO
Giles Sherwood, post production supervisor and color scientist at Criterion
Michael Reuben, retired Blu-ray reviewer at Blu-ray.com
Bill Schindler, a long-time video-industry consultant
Brandon Yates, a video engineer and co-owner of Yates & Parks Consulting

There is one major flaw with Value Electronics television evaluation in that it doesn't evaluate brands it does not sell. This is not much of an issue with the OLED brands but fast becoming a major issue with the LCD models. The 2020 P-Series Quantum X will be hard to ignore with its specs and much improved video processor.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Unfortunately D-Nice was removed from 2019 VE event (or was it 2018?) without proper explanation so it is a bit awkward to start talking about that stuff in this thread:confused:

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's not true that VE does not include brands he does not sell. In 2016 they had VIZIO's Master Series and again in 2017 they has VIZIO's P series.

I've personally attended 3 TV Shootouts and watch every year and the presenters say they test many TVs and only the best get into the TV Shootout. So they test each of the TVs to be considered for entry into the competition and you can also see that although they sell LG LCD TVs they do not make it into the event every year either.

Here's Scott Wilkinson's podcast about the 2017 TV shootout and at the 3:27 mark Joel Silver says they had a Vizio in the TV Shootout.

Also I just spoke with Robert earlier this week when I purchased my 65A8H and one thing he told me is that he is speaking with Hisense about putting their dual cell LCD TV for the 2021 TV Shootout.

341 - 360 of 1269 Posts