AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 1715 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Disappointing to know that the motion on the 2020 OLEDs still isn't on the level of plasmas. People laughed at the 480hz and 600hz labels they had back then. They thought it was marketing nonsense. Doesn't seem like nonsense now, does it?

I still have my PZ85 Panasonic I use in the bedroom. Definitely not throwing that away. You can't get motion like that anymore and might never will.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Biggest mistake I made was selling my 151 in 2009 - wrongfully assuming Panasonic, who had bought the patents, would overthrow the Kuro within a year.

And yet, here we are, over a decade later, still comparing brand new TVs to Kuros. I find the comparisons fascinating and even more fascinated that those old plasmas still have some superior qualities over OLED.

Truth be told, we’ll probably never see a TV that maintains its relevance for so long ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having OLEDs and a plasma in my home, honestly in day to day viewing the OLEDs really just have two advantages in terms of picture quality: HDR/DV, and the screen does not wash out under ambient lighting. The plasma is as good or superior in every other way.

·
Vendor
27,144 Posts
Once i see a jump from my A1E like i did vs my VT60 i will be ready to jump on a new OLED. Or if the Sony bites the dust i will have to jump sooner.
Well, you will need to wait until we get a new technology then......

·
Registered
52 Posts
Biggest mistake I made was selling my 151 in 2009 - wrongfully assuming Panasonic, who had bought the patents, would overthrow the Kuro within a year.

And yet, here we are, over a decade later, still comparing brand new TVs to Kuros. I find the comparisons fascinating and even more fascinated that those old plasmas still have some superior qualities over OLED.

Truth be told, we’ll probably never see a TV that maintains its relevance for so long ever again.
This thread is making it extremely hard for me to replace my 2009 Pioneer 151, calibrated by D-Nice.
Have thought many times about replacing it with an OLED, but always end up keeping the 151 based on comments like that.
The TV still looks amazingly good in a dark bedroom but missing some brightness and HDR, and obviously cannot get any 4K on it!
So OLED's have still not caught up with good Plasmas in terms of motion; what a drag!

Have posted after a very long time, so please be kind!

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I just installed my new 65" A8H today. Replacing a 59" Samsung Plasma from 2011. I mostly watch sports as well along with some movies/tv. Very little gaming.

Haven't played with settings yet (just changed to Custom). I'm seeing some motion peculiarities that I never saw with my plamsa such as when scores scroll across bottom of the screen (not very smooth). But again, haven't played with settings and tv only has a couple of hours of run time. Everything else about TV is fantastic.
I believe this has been a problem since Sony removed the Low, Medium, High CineMotion/Film Mode options and replaced them with Auto. Turning off CineMotion apparently fixes the problem on scrolling news tickers.
I disregarded the recommended Auto CineMotion setting and went with off because of the above posts and my concern about motion when watching sports. I had to stop the show we were watching to change it to Auto because I was getting a little too much of the soap opera effect. That did the trick. I did watch parts of an NFL game and a little bit of soccer and had no motion problems. I was looking more for the flight of the ball and player movements than a ticker, but I was very pleased with what I saw.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just installed my new 65" A8H today. Replacing a 59" Samsung Plasma from 2011. I mostly watch sports as well along with some movies/tv. Very little gaming.

Haven't played with settings yet (just changed to Custom). I'm seeing some motion peculiarities that I never saw with my plamsa such as when scores scroll across bottom of the screen (not very smooth). But again, haven't played with settings and tv only has a couple of hours of run time. Everything else about TV is fantastic.
I believe this has been a problem since Sony removed the Low, Medium, High CineMotion/Film Mode options and replaced them with Auto. Turning off CineMotion apparently fixes the problem on scrolling news tickers.
I disregarded the recommended Auto CineMotion setting and went with off because of the above posts and my concern about motion when watching sports. I had to stop the show we were watching to change it to Auto because I was getting a little too much of the soap opera effect. That did the trick. I did watch parts of an NFL game and a little bit of soccer and had no motion problems. I was looking more for the flight of the ball and player movements than a ticker, but I was very pleased with what I saw.
I’m sure the Auto setting is fine for the vast majority of content, it just causes issues with tickers. I’m surprised you saw SOE though - what are your other motion settings?

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I’m sure the Auto setting is fine for the vast majority of content, it just causes issues with tickers. I’m surprised you saw SOE though - what are your other motion settings?
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: Min
Clearness: 1
CineMotion: Auto

It was ever so slight, but my wife noticed it more than I did. Once I changed it, we both saw the difference.

While we're on the subject, I watched a little 4K material just to see what it looked like on the A8H, and I was very impressed. But I'm not sure I was seeing what I was supposed to see. This had the, you are there look to it, akin to the SOE. All of my settings are the recommended ones, so if that isn't what I'm supposed to be seeing, then I don't know any way around it. Watching the demo material at various locations isn't the same as watching an actual movie, so I just want to make sure I'm viewing it correctly.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Having OLEDs and a plasma in my home, honestly in day to day viewing the OLEDs really just have two advantages in terms of picture quality: HDR/DV, and the screen does not wash out under ambient lighting. The plasma is as good or superior in every other way.
(plasma lover here)...but what about sheer brightness level? I have been told that, basically, OLED has at least DOUBLE the brightness of the best plasma.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello,

i am currently not an OLED owner but i have a Z9D 65" and was wondering if the Sony A8H 65" would be a worthwhile upgrade for me. I have not been able to see it in person because of Covid but i remember seeing the A9G and it looked amazing in person, but i couldn't do a side by side with mine obviously.

I mainly watch movies/tv shows on VUDU/Amazon/Netflix and some Cable (4K Comcast Box) As well as from by Sony UBX700 4k Player. Currently i do not game on my TV as i only have a PC and my TV is unable to display 1440p only 4K at 60.

I tend to watch most of my stuff in DV if available and try to avoid HDR as it seems to look bad for some reason, but it may be that i have my TV with settings for DV.

Any idea if the A8H is able to output 1440p pc games? And would it be okay for 4K games as well? The other question is does it upscape 1080p content pretty good? Like from Cable or apps.

If this is the wrong topic to ask on i apologize

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
17,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
This thread is making it extremely hard for me to replace my 2009 Pioneer 151, calibrated by D-Nice.
Have thought many times about replacing it with an OLED, but always end up keeping the 151 based on comments like that.
The TV still looks amazingly good in a dark bedroom but missing some brightness and HDR, and obviously cannot get any 4K on it!
So OLED's have still not caught up with good Plasmas in terms of motion; what a drag!

Have posted after a very long time, so please be kind!
It’s caught up with motion. How the image is presented on screen is different. Sample and Hold tech does not have the same look as impulse.

·
Registered
15,260 Posts
(plasma lover here)...but what about sheer brightness level? I have been told that, basically, OLED has at least DOUBLE the brightness of the best plasma.
I can't quantify it, but my A9G is definitely brighter than my Panny plasma.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I can't quantify it, but my A9G is definitely brighter than my Panny plasma.
I took a screenshot on my Panny GT30 of a picture I took in Bermuda because I wanted to see what it would look like on the Sony.

The first one is the actual photo. The second is from the Panny, and the third is from the Sony. The Panny comes closer to the original photo, the Sony is brighter, but the Panny has more grain. Not out to prove anything, I just like to do things like this. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took a screenshot on my Panny GT30 of a picture I took in Bermuda because I wanted to see what it would look like on the Sony.

The first one is the actual photo. The second is from the Panny, and the third is from the Sony. The Panny comes closer to the original photo, the Sony is brighter, but the Panny has more grain. Not out to prove anything, I just like to do things like this. :D
Hmmm not really liking the Sony compared to the original. On the Sony, what is the bright artifact above the front mast, is that a reflection off the screen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm not really liking the Sony compared to the original. On the Sony, what is the bright artifact above the front mast, is that a reflection off the screen?
Camera flash.
No point to take pics of screens if camera(real camera, not a phone) settings arent 100% identical + with a tripod. (ISO, shutter speed, focal lenght + f at least)

And also using flash is pointles, and sounds like it is just "point & shoot with phone/camera without knowing what you are doing".

·
Registered
3,327 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
My A1E is brighter than my 60VT60 was. I don't notice motion probs with the A1E.

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
601 Posts

Definitely much brighter. But I keep my oled at plasma level brightness anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,265 Posts

Thanks for that. Interesting. The two things that obviously jump out at me with Panny and the SONY OLED are that (a) the SONY OLED is about 2x brighter, and (b) it is set MUCH cooler (blue tint). Not sure what your gamma is set for but it must not be on Warm 1 or Warm 2.

Very nice photo.

441 - 460 of 1715 Posts